a little talk about the term, "rice"

Search this Thread

Old 06-12-2001, 04:55 AM
- daemonichris -

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
a little talk about the term, "rice"

i've noticed that most members on this board love to use the term "rice". however, have you ever even thought about how racist that term is or how offensive it may be to certain members on this board (chinese, etc). i, for one, am chinese and i find this term so fucking offensive. what exactly do you guys mean by saying that term anyway? are you saying that "asian-style" is bad? because the thing is... i don't understand how you people that say the term can actually bash on so-called "rice" cars because acura is fucking japanese. just tell me... what exactly do you (whoever that says this term) mean by saying "rice"?

------------------
Acura 3.2CL Type-S w/ Navigation
Black/Ebony

H&R Sport Springs | Pirelli P7000 Supersport 235/40ZR17 on stock rims | Neuspeed Tower Strut Bar | Custom CAI | Cleared Headlights, PIAA 19169 | Tint all around | Mesh Grill | Dual 12'' Alpine Type-S Subs | Kenwood KAC-728S Amp | RÄZO real carbon pedals
Old 06-12-2001, 05:05 AM
Senior Moderator

Received 638 Likes on 276 Posts
I dunno what to say to this....

------------------
2002 TL Type-S
Comptech Springs
AEM Blue intake-soon
35% tint all around
my pictures
Old 06-12-2001, 05:07 AM
- daemonichris -

still no explanations yet?

------------------
Black/Ebony

H&R Sport Springs | Pirelli P7000 Supersport 235/40ZR17 on stock rims | Neuspeed Tower Strut Bar | Custom CAI | Cleared Headlights, PIAA 19169 | Tint all around | Mesh Grill | Dual 12'' Alpine Type-S Subs | Kenwood KAC-728S Amp | RÄZO real carbon pedals
Old 06-12-2001, 05:08 AM
Banned

Rice is putting a fart pipe, side lights, and a bunch stickers for performance parts you don't own on a civic and thinking you're the shit. Half this board is Asian and I don't hear anyone else complaining.

------------------
2001 Silver 3.2CL Type S
Spoiler, Navi, Cupholder 2.0, 35% tint all around
Charter member of the Scratched Rim Club
Old 06-12-2001, 05:10 AM
- daemonichris -

maybe because nobody else cares enough... or even bothers with a group like this... it's all internet right?

------------------
Black/Ebony

Old 06-12-2001, 05:10 AM
Banned

Oh, and don't forget the 5 foot high spoiler that doesn't even match the paint.

------------------
2001 Silver 3.2CL Type S
Spoiler, Navi, Cupholder 2.0, 35% tint all around
Charter member of the Scratched Rim Club
Old 06-12-2001, 05:12 AM
- daemonichris -

the same people that came up with those modifications designed your car too...

------------------
Black/Ebony

Old 06-12-2001, 05:13 AM
Senior Moderator

Received 638 Likes on 276 Posts
Im gonna give a shot, because i think you deserve an explanation. OK heres what I "think". The word rice to me means a car that is soo decked out with aftermarket parts that you cant even tell what kind of car it is. I know no one says rice and says it to be raciest, its just a way of saying. Like a slang. Honestly there are alot of chineese guys i know who use the term Rice. SO it that wrong? Are they being raciest? Its just a term and nothing direct to the chinese culture. Plus i think they say rice too is becuase most of the parts come from over seas. Honestly no one says it to be raciest since everyone bought a japenese car and not an american car I dunno sorry i was just kinda rambling on. I know what to think about it, i just dont how to explain it.

------------------
2002 TL Type-S
Comptech Springs
AEM Blue intake-soon
35% tint all around
my pictures
Old 06-12-2001, 05:23 AM
- daemonichris -

good shit... all i wanted was an explanation... hellawhat already explained to me his reasoning through AIM... just making sure nobody is being racist... then it's all good

------------------
Black/Ebony

Old 06-12-2001, 05:32 AM
*Hella* isn't a word.

Look guys....
Does it matter if chinese people use the term rice? I mean chinese people aren't the only ones eating rice nor are they the only ones perpetuating the term. To me, rice means this:

<u>Rice</u>: When ppl do stupid ass shit to their car. (i.e. 1. drill holes in the back of your bumper and tll us it's to *relieve back pressure* 2. Put dumb ass stickers like <text color="ff0000">"Type R</text> stickers on your Toyota Camry. etc.). Unfortunately, this occured with primarily asian imports... and the term "rice" stuck (No insult to you if you like sticky rice or "Noh mie") :-)

But is okay just because Chinese people use the term? Just because we may say it amongst ourselves doesn't make it wrong, nor right. How many of you have certain friends that call themselves the N word and brand u a racist if you try to fit in with them and call them that? Okay not this justifies the situation, but it stills tnads okay. Some people like to use the term rice in a demeaning way. To those of you, fuck off. The rest of us, I feel use the term "rice" as a generalization to something we can't come up with better words for so we say "rice".

-John

[This message has been edited by HellaWhat (edited 06-12-2001).]
Old 06-12-2001, 06:01 AM
suspension dude

dude chris,

you are from LA you should be used to this term...

This is where the all of our fellow LA Asians coined the phrase "rice rockets" from back in the day... with the old school 91-94 tegs or cr-x with the loud exhausts, lowered scrapping cars and bumping stereos. This is where the japanese aftermarket car scene came to life.

It is just a term to describe a car and it is not derogatory statement. It's not putting anyone down it is just a description. Asians are not the only ones driving around in lowered TL or tricked out Civics... White, Latinos, Blacks, Indians, Asian, and any other nationalities drive these tricked out cars... I have seen white guys drive around in "riced" out cars so Asians people aren't the only ones. It also like saying a mustang or camaro is a white trash car... Dude I know that some Indians friends love those cars and I would not call them white trash... They drive muscle cars...

Now I'm worried that I would offend someone with that white trash statement... so anyone who gets offended I'm just using it as an example...

-J

------------------
1999 3.2TL-NAVI Nighthawk Black Pearl
Comptech drop-in filter / '02 tail lights / Comptech exhaust / Hokuto Turugi 17x7 / Kumho Ecsta Supra 712 225/45/17 / H&R Sport Springs
------------------------
want headers after riding in moomaster_99's cl "damn it was fast and I crapped in my pants taken that corner back to the meet"
Old 06-12-2001, 08:34 AM
Suzuka Master

Received 3 Likes on 1 Post
i've seen riced out saturns and neons too!

as mentioned before, it ain't a racist thing, it's just a word that stuck.

and besides, mexicans eat rice too!
Old 06-12-2001, 09:09 AM
Three Wheelin'

Ok.. So ya saying that the term rice spans all car makers??? If someone over mods their car and it's a BMW or Neon it could be called rice? Interesting......

------------------
2001 Silver 3.2CLS
Muds, Spoiler, Hardwire 8500, Polarg M-6 lamps, K&N filter #33-2178,
Comptech Headers, Sways, mufflers
Planning: SSR 17X7.5 GT1 Wheels, Brembo Brakes.
Old 06-12-2001, 11:24 AM
Advanced

Glad to see some discussion on this. I have seen the term used on many different auto boards, but never really understood the meaning or origin behind it. I personally would feel uncomfortable using it, because it does come across as derogatory to me even if that is not the intent.
While the world has been overcome with avoiding anything that sounds remotely non-PC, I do think this is one term that could be used with more discretion.
I am not Asian, but I could see how someone who is Asian could be offended by it, so I wouldn't use it for that reason.
Back when I was in HS in the late 80's people used to refer to Camaros and Trans Ams as "grits". I guess it was a southern thing.
I do agree that there has to be a term for an overmodified Civic, or a Saturn. Quick question...Why do the insist on making their car sound like they rusted out a hole in their muffler?
Anyway, before I go off on a rambling diatribe I'll wrap up. Just wanted to share my humble .02 on the use of the "rice" term.
Later-
PNastyC

------------------
1999 Toyota Solara SLE in Diamond White

"Do you ever get down on your knees and thank God that you have access to my dementia?" George Costanza
Old 06-12-2001, 11:29 AM
Number 37

This discussion has come up on this board many times in the last 6 months. But to answer your question, it is not a racial thing, just the term that was coined to describe a certain style of car.

------------------
Looks like I am going to have to carjack my CL-S
Old 06-12-2001, 11:30 AM
Senior Moderator

Received 1,760 Likes on 1,046 Posts

Didn't we just go through this a couple of days ago? Wasn't it actually you who started this topic? Rice has nothing to do with nationality. Read some of the above comments.... notice how all of the replies defining the word rice are the same, and none of them have to do with race? Below is a link.... I suggest you read up. Next time, do a search, I'm sure you'll find plenty of topics which explain this 20 times over. This way, you can read and get educated and not have to start this topic for the 100th time....

http://www.riceboypage.com/what_is_riceboy/

------------------
1998 Iced Blue CL 3.0 ** Some mods, but who cares, I want a Type-S!!

Moderator - 1st Gen Forum
Email: juniorbean@acura-cl.com
Old 06-12-2001, 11:34 AM
Senior Moderator

Received 1,760 Likes on 1,046 Posts
<font face="Verdana, Arial" size="2">Originally posted by tel1sps:
Ok.. So ya saying that the term rice spans all car makers??? If someone over mods their car and it's a BMW or Neon it could be called rice? Interesting......

</font>
Exactly. I've seen some riced out Cavaliers too.....

Old 06-12-2001, 11:44 AM
aka davo-tsx

Got this from a recent car show.

------------------
'01 CLS #4055 Red/Parchment-all the goodies
Old 06-12-2001, 11:49 AM
Suzuka Master

Korean here,

I will now use the term Taco. u know , if u see a car w/ wheels sticking out, purple tint, ugly stickers, body parts painted yellow. Ugly exhuast , not even pipes btw.

Thats so Taco.

see how dumb that sounds. but i'll still use it, since alot of u use the term 'rice'

------------------
CL-S
White/Ebony/Navi/Spoiler/Visor/Full Bra/Mud Guards/Acura Car Cover/Tint 20%,35%,5% on Sun Roof, Rockford 250a2 Amp w/JL10w6 / K&N Drop in Filter.Polarg m-6.
Comptech Headers,Springs,Sways, Eurolite Xenon Crystal high beams.Polarg m6

gtech 0-60 6.03 w/ 438 pound load. preheader.
Old 06-12-2001, 11:51 AM
Drifting

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
<font face="Verdana, Arial" size="2">Originally posted by Chris:
i've noticed that most members on this board love to use the term "rice". however, have you ever even thought about how racist that term is or how offensive it may be to certain members on this board (chinese, etc). i, for one, am chinese and i find this term so fucking offensive. what exactly do you guys mean by saying that term anyway? are you saying that "asian-style" is bad? because the thing is... i don't understand how you people that say the term can actually bash on so-called "rice" cars because acura is fucking japanese. just tell me... what exactly do you (whoever that says this term) mean by saying "rice"?

</font>
Dude, "rice" is not a racist term. You need to relax. A racist term would be slope, zipperhead, VC, charlie, chink or gooke-bastard. Those are the terms you need to worry about. I wouldn't take offense by someone saying a Civic is "rice." Now if someone said "dude, look at that zipperhead driving that gooked-out Integra" then you could take offense. By the way, I am a gooke-bastard and you have little to complain about. You live in Cali and I live in Detroit. Don't bitch to me about racist, redneck, trailer trash. This place hates us. Look up the the story of Vincent Chen on the internet. The dude who was murdered by two unemployed UAW workers who were then aquitted. Shit bitch, I made sure my ass was no where near a movie theater the day Pearl Harbor opened. Now Chris, get back to the computer lab!!

------------------
-Phin
www.generationinformation.com
AOL IM - paullanz01
CHECK IT OUT!!
Old 06-12-2001, 12:09 PM
Drifting

That is correct.

<font face="Verdana, Arial" size="2">Originally posted by tel1sps:

</font>

------------------
Black/Black 2001 CL-S
Random Technology Cat
RED AEM CAI
APEXi V-AFC
Polarg M6 Roadlamps
Old 06-12-2001, 12:12 PM
Race Director

I am middle eastern, iranian to be exact..and out of over 100 foods, we only have like 2 or 3 foods that does not include rice. It is safe to say that Iranians eat more Rice then asians...

I dont know what i am telling you this, just wanted to share. haha

------------------
2001 CL-S
Black/Black
Moonroof Visor
35% Tint All Around
Black Wood Dash Kit
Sportswing spoiler
My Bitch
aka Deadly-CLs

"I come for the Car Talk, but stay for the Ramblings"
Old 06-12-2001, 12:13 PM
Banned

Received 7 Likes on 7 Posts
Some would ALSO find your use of the WORD "F____ing" offensive. Get over it or Be Consistent. Your argument will NEVER hold a Ounce of Water untill you live by your own rules.

<font face="Verdana, Arial" size="2">Originally posted by Chris:

</font>

------------------
2001 CL-S Silver
Comptech Headers
Comptech Sways
14 % Tint
Viper 550 Alarm
Old 06-12-2001, 12:24 PM
Race Director

i think this is something that we will never get people to agree on..

I have seen topics like this on soo many boards, maybe once a month..

Its like this, some people are cool about the whole racist deal, i mean i call my black friends NIG*** right in their faces, as a joke...like making fun of them, and you know what, they call me sand ni**er, i dont care, neither do they..we just joke around,

then there are those that cry about the littlest things, one jewish lady i know finds it to be Offensive to be called a Jew. She wants to be called Jewish, she told me she would even give a lecture to any other Jewish person who would accept being labeled a Jew..what the fuck is that about??

There will always be the ones who take things too far, and the ones that dont take life so seriuosly.

------------------
2001 CL-S
Black/Black
Moonroof Visor
35% Tint All Around
Black Wood Dash Kit
Sportswing spoiler
My Bitch
aka Deadly-CLs

"I come for the Car Talk, but stay for the Ramblings"
Old 06-12-2001, 12:27 PM
Moderator Alumnus

Well, I will interject another term I have heard used to describe a flashy car.

"Look at the BMW with the stickers, rims, fart pipe and wing. That guy just 'niggered' up his car"

I in no way condone the use of the 'N' word but I am driving a very specific point. I think 'rice' was derived due to the asian origin of the vehicles. 'Niggering' up a car refers to african americans making changes or modifying their car to make it unique. 'Puerto Rican Roach Boxes' is what they call any Puerto Rican car which has anything flashy on it.

The jury is not out on whether or not the term 'rice' is racist or not as far as I am concerned. I have used it plenty of times but for some reason have thought of it more lately.

My new word has been 'ghettoing' up a car because I think that's the most harmless one.

------------------
01' Acura CL Type-S
Piaa 19169 Bulbs
Valentine1 Pig Detector
Comptech Springs
CompTech Exhaust
Xephyr Cold Air Intake
Really Cool Mesh Grill
Custom BASS by <A HREF="http://www.streeteffectz.com

01'Acura" TARGET=_blank>www.streeteffectz.com

01'Acura</A> Integra GSR
Old 06-12-2001, 12:33 PM
teh Senior Instigator

Location: Huntington Beach, CA -> Ashburn, VA -> Raleigh, NC -> Walnut Creek, CA
Received 976 Likes on 330 Posts

no offense, but i find it absolutely fucking hilarious you are the least bit offended by this term, especially living in southern california, which is the rice capital or the united states
Old 06-12-2001, 12:34 PM
Racer

<font face="Verdana, Arial" size="2">Originally posted by NOVAwhiteTypeS:
Korean here,

I will now use the term Taco. u know , if u see a car w/ wheels sticking out, purple tint, ugly stickers, body parts painted yellow. Ugly exhuast , not even pipes btw.

Thats so Taco.

</font>
when these things are done to a pickup you can call it a spicup truck.

------------------
Black/Parch '01 CL-S no-navi, Spoiler, Visor, 35% tint, wheel locks, PIAA19169 fog lights.
Old 06-12-2001, 12:36 PM
teh Senior Instigator

Location: Huntington Beach, CA -> Ashburn, VA -> Raleigh, NC -> Walnut Creek, CA
this is taco, or as i refer to it as mesican

------------------
type S killer; except for mike's car

fastest 1/4 mile: 11.32

"There is something romantic about meeting in the middle of the night, going to some all-night restaurant, laying the bets, knowing the tracks that might come clear. You're running as many quarter miles as can be, knowing the cops are coming, then scattering like cockroaches in the middle of the night."
Old 06-12-2001, 12:37 PM
Drifting

<font face="Verdana, Arial" size="2">Originally posted by eclipse23:

"Look at the BMW with the stickers, rims, fart pipe and wing. That guy just 'niggered' up his car"

I in no way condone the use of the 'N' word but I am driving a very specific point. I think 'rice' was derived due to the asian origin of the vehicles. 'Niggering' up a car refers to african americans making changes or modifying their car to make it unique. 'Puerto Rican Roach Boxes' is what they call any Puerto Rican car which has anything flashy on it.

The jury is not out on whether or not the term 'rice' is racist or not as far as I am concerned. I have used it plenty of times but for some reason have thought of it more lately.

My new word has been 'ghettoing' up a car because I think that's the most harmless one.

</font>
God, you're racist. How do you live with yourself?

------------------
-Phin
AOL IM - paullanz01
CHECK IT OUT!!
Old 06-12-2001, 12:38 PM
Drifting

<font face="Verdana, Arial" size="2">Originally posted by amirsafdari:
i think this is something that we will never get people to agree on..

I have seen topics like this on soo many boards, maybe once a month..

Its like this, some people are cool about the whole racist deal, i mean i call my black friends NIG*** right in their faces, as a joke...like making fun of them, and you know what, they call me sand ni**er, i dont care, neither do they..we just joke around,

then there are those that cry about the littlest things, one jewish lady i know finds it to be Offensive to be called a Jew. She wants to be called Jewish, she told me she would even give a lecture to any other Jewish person who would accept being labeled a Jew..what the fuck is that about??

There will always be the ones who take things too far, and the ones that dont take life so seriuosly.

</font>
Sand Nigger? I thought it was Hezbollah?

------------------
-Phin
AOL IM - paullanz01
CHECK IT OUT!!
Old 06-12-2001, 12:39 PM
Moderator Alumnus

<font face="Verdana, Arial" size="2">Originally posted by phinthesky:
God, you're racist. How do you live with yourself?

</font>
Huh? Clarify please?

------------------
01' Acura CL Type-S
Piaa 19169 Bulbs
Valentine1 Pig Detector
Comptech Springs
CompTech Exhaust
Xephyr Cold Air Intake
Really Cool Mesh Grill
Custom BASS by <A HREF="http://www.streeteffectz.com

01'Acura" TARGET=_blank>www.streeteffectz.com

01'Acura</A> Integra GSR
Old 06-12-2001, 12:40 PM
teh Senior Instigator

Huh? Clarify please?

</font>
ignore phin, he's butt hurt from his bfriend today
Old 06-12-2001, 12:40 PM
Drifting

<font face="Verdana, Arial" size="2">Originally posted by amirsafdari:
I am middle eastern, iranian to be exact..and out of over 100 foods, we only have like 2 or 3 foods that does not include rice. It is safe to say that Iranians eat more Rice then asians...

I dont know what i am telling you this, just wanted to share. haha

</font>
Dude, there is no way your peeps eat more rice than my peeps. You must be on more crack than Marion Barry. I suppose the next thing you'll claim is that you Persians eat more dog than we do.

------------------
-Phin
AOL IM - paullanz01
CHECK IT OUT!!
Old 06-12-2001, 12:41 PM
teh Senior Instigator

<font face="Verdana, Arial" size="2">Originally posted by phinthesky:
. I suppose the next thing you'll claim is that you Persians eat more dog than we do.

</font>
nope you guys definately win that one
Old 06-12-2001, 12:41 PM
Drifting

Huh? Clarify please?

</font>
Just trying to stir this shitpot.

------------------
-Phin
AOL IM - paullanz01
CHECK IT OUT!!
Old 06-12-2001, 12:42 PM
Banned

Hell we use the damn term! Sorry to hear that its offensive to you, however we didn't make it up. Ask your question to guy who made up the term. If you have a good substitute term for it, let me know, I'll start to use that instead, until then, all sticker prone, fart-pipe, slammed civics are "rice"!

------------------
'98 Dakar Yellow ///M3
Surprise @ Forums atwww.BMWExperience.com
0-60 5.53 sec G-Tech
Picture here
Old 06-12-2001, 12:45 PM
Drifting

<font face="Verdana, Arial" size="2">Originally posted by CLpower:
ignore phin, he's butt hurt from his bfriend today </font>

Hey Scotty, how did my nut taste? You bitch ass trick. Now yo namez just 'twan.

Anyways, I mean I don't consider myself racist but whenever I see a minority I am always like "God, I can't believe they are in my country. I can't even get a job no more." Is that racist?

------------------
-Phin
AOL IM - paullanz01
CHECK IT OUT!!
Old 06-12-2001, 12:46 PM
Instructor

</font>

Puerto Rican roach box?! I saw alot of those growing up. I especially liked the old Monte Carlo's with the horn that would play "La Cucaracha" or the lowered, lime green ford escort with the 13" rims that would cruise the avenue.

------------------
2001 SAAB 9-3SE HOT

Saabman: Unreasonably biased against voices of reason.
Old 06-12-2001, 12:47 PM
Drifting

<font face="Verdana, Arial" size="2">Originally posted by CLpower:
nope you guys definately win that one</font>
Scott, I can't wait to ship your white ass back to Europe.

------------------
-Phin
AOL IM - paullanz01
CHECK IT OUT!!
Old 06-12-2001, 12:49 PM
Drifting

You wanna know what i think is funny? I think its funny how this Chris guy gets on here with 296 posts and tries to start a race riot. You are only allowed to do that once you pass 500 posts. You silly rabbit.

------------------
-Phin
AOL IM - paullanz01
CHECK IT OUT!!

Quick Reply: a little talk about the term, "rice"