License Plate….why?

Search this Thread

Old 07-06-2003 | 08:03 PM
Ex-Acura Die Hard Veteran

License Plate….why?

Not sure if this is off topic put when car pics are posted, why is the license plate smeared, and is it necessary? I don’t see why it is a big deal to have you plate on your car in a picture, but 100s of people see my damn tag everyday and it does not scare me. Is there some risk?

Dave
Old 07-06-2003 | 08:05 PM
GTP

haha, that's a good point.
Old 07-06-2003 | 08:11 PM
Race Director

That is a very good question however the answer is going to vary for just about everyone. On my pictures I've smeared out my plate. I do it so i can still feel a but of privacy that no one will look up my plate and come to my house and rob my car.

However I'll still put my regional location and my birthday on this forum for all to see. Some people won't do either. Different strokes for different folks i guess.
Old 07-06-2003 | 08:13 PM
Instructor

i agree with you, but..
if you have a big system in your car, locals will know who to target

if you run your mouth on the board, someone might spot your car and do something stupid

a long shot, but still
Old 07-06-2003 | 08:21 PM
Where is my super sauce?

It helps people maintain some level of anonymity when posting on an internet board.
Old 07-06-2003 | 08:23 PM

I work at the mall and I think thats as big of a target as I can be right now. In the past 2 months 5 of my friends that work at the mall had their cars broken into, and one of those stolen. When I look throughout the mall now I think I am really the last one that has not been hit yet. I find it weird. Not much of a method either: smash the window, throw it under the car, pop hood, and cut horn. Witness said they even had dollys wheeling the stuff into their car. The profile shows I have full police package in my car with wig wags and siren. The intention was to intergrate that into my alarm but have not had the time. Anyone there could jot down my tag and hit me up at the house I guess, but the shitty security at the mall scares me more than some harmless pics on the internet. Is that the wrong attitude?

Dave
Old 07-06-2003 | 08:32 PM
teh Senior Instigator

From: Huntington Beach, CA -> Ashburn, VA -> Raleigh, NC -> Walnut Creek, CA
I agree w/ you, i'm not afraid to show my plates. But now it's so easy for someone to find out where you live through the DMV (although a lot of states are cracking down).

If you have a big system I see the necessity. Esp. if you post it all over the net. Because that's a lot of people seeing what you actually have then the joe shmo who doesn't see your system driving down the street.
Old 07-06-2003 | 08:47 PM

Originally posted by ghander
I agree w/ you, i'm not afraid to show my plates. But now it's so easy for someone to find out where you live through the DMV (although a lot of states are cracking down).

If you have a big system I see the necessity. Esp. if you post it all over the net. Because that's a lot of people seeing what you actually have then the joe shmo who doesn't see your system driving down the street.
That is a good point, but what about car shows? Take the plate off? My town is not that big and it is very very easy to spot my car the color it is with the rims. You would easily remember it. It is sad to be afraid to spend money on your car, then park it at the place you work that you pay for the things on your car. Really the only thing that motovates me to work so damn much. I am thinking about a 2nd car to mess around with and drive to work, like a del sol, miata, or hatch or something.

Dave
Old 07-06-2003 | 08:53 PM
teh Senior Instigator

From: Huntington Beach, CA -> Ashburn, VA -> Raleigh, NC -> Walnut Creek, CA
Originally posted by acuraracer
That is a good point, but what about car shows? Take the plate off? My town is not that big and it is very very easy to spot my car the color it is with the rims. You would easily remember it. It is sad to be afraid to spend money on your car, then park it at the place you work that you pay for the things on your car. Really the only thing that motovates me to work so damn much. I am thinking about a 2nd car to mess around with and drive to work, like a del sol, miata, or hatch or something.

Dave

just make sure to insure the things you add to the car. that way you are safe against threats.
Old 07-06-2003 | 09:16 PM
Suzuka Master

Far fewer people will see your car at the mall than if you were to post pics of it on a couple sites. You'd be amazed at how some things get around on the internet.
Old 07-07-2003 | 09:42 AM

Originally posted by ABreece
Far fewer people will see your car at the mall than if you were to post pics of it on a couple sites. You'd be amazed at how some things get around on the internet.
I can, but can't even imagine. You are right though, the site my pics are on you can see where the are linked to and I have seen them wonder on a vette forum even??

Dave
Old 07-07-2003 | 09:45 AM

also, most of the time my car is in the garage. If not I am sure the alarm will go off long enough to wake me up I would think.

Dave
Old 07-07-2003 | 10:03 AM
Someday pigs WILL fly!

Internet stalkers