Lawsuit Against ACURA - TRANSMISSION FAILURE #2

Search this Thread

Old 12-12-2001, 03:01 PM
Intermediate

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Lawsuit Against ACURA - TRANSMISSION FAILURE #2

You guys aren't going to believe this......
I FINALLY got my car back after being gone to the dealership for 32 days..... Well I had it for about an hour atleast......
I drove to my friends house and everything seemed fine....
then about an hour later we decided to leave then I GOT 2 BLOCKS FROM HIS HOUSE AND THE SECOND TRANNY FAILED!!!!!
I had put LESS then 10 miles on the car (since leaving the dealership) and they were all less then 35mph (residental streets)
I'm 30 years old, haven't performance modded the car and I don't drive like speed racer..... just an average consumer from the bay area and I use it for road trips from time to time....

The car is now at the dealership AGAIN....!
They now say that they are going to replace TRANNY #2 and ALSO replace the computer for my car.......
WTF is wrong with ACURA...?

You spend 30K for a car that falls apart like a hyundai...

I also have an attorney now and am pursuing a legal course of compensation for all of the time and headache they have caused me.... I've lost time off from work and been COMPLETELY inconvienced by their lack of QA and RD on their product.
I'm done with my CL-S and Acura
Old 12-12-2001, 03:06 PM
Suzuka Master

Received 10 Likes on 6 Posts
Sorry to hear this bud... Lemon law that sucka!

Haven't had any problems with my car yet but I kind of wish I would cuz I'm ready for a new car

-Ash
Old 12-12-2001, 03:25 PM
Drifting

That sucks that the tranny went. You are doing the right thing though. You do bring up a good point. Their R&D is costing us time and money.
Old 12-12-2001, 03:27 PM
Advanced

I'm an attorney and I would pretty interested in what your attorney would advise you to do. Can you keep us posted on your current situation considering that you might be setting a legal precedence here? Also, I don't have any tranny problems with my car but I can totally sympathize with what you're going through. I think that since you have been through enough hassles that your dealership should compensate you in some way. Have they charged you anything for replacing the tranny the first time? If they did they would be wrong to do so because of the inconvenience you have been put through. Has your attorney asked you if there have been any other cases of tranny failures? The reason he/she would ask this would be if you would have to go to court your attorney can have written documentation from other dealerships and persons that are going through the same experience.
Old 12-12-2001, 03:28 PM
Drifting

BTW. Do you have pics of your stereo?
Old 12-12-2001, 03:35 PM
Banned

I state it again: LEMON LAW!!! In FL, if they don't fix it in 30 days, you get a new car or they buy yours back! It ends up being a great deal for the consumer (in FL at least).
Old 12-12-2001, 03:36 PM
Suzuka Master

Received 696 Likes on 538 Posts
Guys, dont forget about the fact that transmission replacement has to be done by EXTREEMLY qualified proffesionals.....
I know if tranny is not installed properly, it will fail very soon !!

Maybe dealership that installed new tranny had some morons installing it without knowing what the fuk they are doing.....

Transmission installation is a very high skilled, precise job !!!
Three Wheelin'

Sorry to hear that bro. Lemon that POS and get your dough back.

Red X

tracy aint near the bay. it's hella far. aint it up near tahoe or sac-town?
Old 12-12-2001, 03:37 PM
Three Wheelin'

Originally posted by autoxCLS
I state it again: LEMON LAW!!! In FL, if they don't fix it in 30 days, you get a new car or they buy yours back! It ends up being a great deal for the consumer (in FL at least).
Same here in CA. You can definitely get your money back.
Old 12-12-2001, 03:43 PM
Moderator Alumnus

Received 121 Likes on 86 Posts
Yet another person whose second tranny failed very quickly.
Very interesting. Not in a good way of course.

Does your dealer actually know it is the computer causing the problem? And if so, why didn't they notice it before the put the new tranny in? Is it something they don't normally check for?
Or is it something that showed up but didn't look signifigant
(till it blew up the next tranny)?

Basically, is there something that people should be asking their
dealers to check on their car, to see if they have a potential tranny problem?
'
Old 12-12-2001, 03:52 PM
Suzuka Master

I'd say sometimes its a fault of a person who installs the tranny.
Most likely Acura dealership incorectly installed the tranny.
Acura Mechanics are the same morons as in local shops.
Old 12-12-2001, 03:55 PM
YOOOOOOOOOOOOOO!

I think it is the dealers who are NOT QUALIFIED to install new transmitions. Replacing a tranny is not something that should be done by junior mechanics... That's two I've heard about now that failed right out of the dealer.

personally, my new tranny WHINES in 1st gear, it is really annoying and I am taking it back to the dealer.
Old 12-12-2001, 04:07 PM
Suzuka Master

Originally posted by ruvz
I think it is the dealers who are NOT QUALIFIED to install new transmitions. Replacing a tranny is not something that should be done by junior mechanics... That's two I've heard about now that failed right out of the dealer.

personally, my new tranny WHINES in 1st gear, it is really annoying and I am taking it back to the dealer.
Yeah, those japanese cars should be fixed by proffessionals, not by amateurs. I know few stories where replaced transmission gone bad in 1-2 days, it definatly suggested incorrect installation....
Old 12-12-2001, 04:10 PM
Instructor

I just picked up my car 10 days ago after being out of commission for 48 days. Mine is already exhibiting the same symptoms as it did shortly before the first tranny failed. I give mine a month before it's back at Acura. Also, when I picked up mine, they had another they had just installed the tranny in and it didn't work at all. It's a good thing I've already Lemon Law'd the car. I'm just waiting on my arbitration date.

You're most likely wasting your time trying to get an attorney in this matter. The court's are going to point out that you already have an available remedy, the Lemon Law. Take advantage of it.

People need to get off their asses, look up the Lemon Law for their state and when the tranny goes, send off your defect notices to Acura. That's the only way Acura will start dealing with this problem.
Old 12-12-2001, 04:20 PM
Sticky Rice OwnZ joO

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Originally posted by gmilian
tracy aint near the bay. it's hella far. aint it up near tahoe or sac-town?
Tracy is the next city past Livermore heading East on the 580/205.
Acura of Pleasanton would be the closest one for jjc001.

Sux that happened..
I hope Acura does something about this to keep their customers.. looks like the've lost one because of the tranny.. I'm sure it isn't the last..
Old 12-12-2001, 05:32 PM
- daemonichris -

this happened to me as well... but my car died after a week, not a couple of hours. they replaced my tranny and computer now, and everything seems fine. total time at tustin acura: 8 weeks.
Old 12-12-2001, 05:53 PM
Suzuka Master

SERIOUSLY!

If the people who replace the tranny don't:

1. Inspect, clean, and test all of the solenoids.
2. Check the sensors going to the trans.
3. Make sure the bloody PCM (Powertrain Control Module) wasn’t mucking the shifts up in the first place (which could only help fry the clutch packs).
4. And become "local tranny experts"

There are just going to be more-and-more of these problems.

If Acura and the dealers had a clue -- they would just:

1. Take the "new"/"rebuilt" transmission and keep it in a sealed bag.
2. Have a "guru" show up to check list the install
3. Take all of the current solenoids and sensors back to a set of test jigs and devices for complete retest & Q/A.
4. Take the PCM back to Acura/Honda for full simulation/testing (take your pick of Q/A)
4. Supply "new" or "fully-retested" aux transmission interface parts (solenoids, pressure sensors, etc) WITH the "rebuilt" tranny.
5. Suppy a new PCM module.

So, you get all guru validated and assured parts *and* a Honda/Acura tranny guru oversees the assembly...

I'm not kidding!

(At the very least – they should have 1 – PCM module that is good for verification/comparison testing)
Old 12-12-2001, 06:01 PM
2002 NBA Champs!!!

Originally posted by RandyMax

Same here in CA. You can definitely get your money back.
really? how does the lemon law work in cali. does it have to be mechnical? I got rear ended and the lady bent my frame, body shop said they could fix it( didnt go to dealer because people i know at the dealer reccemended a good shop. Well anyways I havent had my car for 24 days as of today and the way it looks i wont get it till after christmas. how does it work? i kinda wnated to get rid of it anyway i can. 1 for the horrible resale and for what i owe. 2 i would like to get a cls.
Old 12-12-2001, 06:12 PM
Old timer

This is so ridiculous. When are you going to wake up and get a lawsuit going?

This is silly. Isn't it obvious by now that everyone's tranny has the likelihood of going out on them because of this inexcusable quality issue, and even worse, most will probably go out after the warranty is over?

When are we going to get a class-action thing going that demands Acura provide us with a warranty that covers the transmission for an extended period of time (seven years, 150k miles?) and enacts a fix for the transmission that actually does some GOOD?!

I think I'm more pissed off at anyone here who doesn't realize a class-action suit would get the problem more to the front and center where it belongs instead of under wraps at Acura's HQ.
This shit is their fault and THEY ARE NOT HANDLING IT PROPERLY. That means it's time for some action from the victims.

I don't want money, I want a fucking car that is useable. You know, that thing I paid $31k for.
Old 12-12-2001, 06:14 PM
Stealth Bomber

Sounds familiar

http://www.acura-cl.com/forums/showt...ghlight=tranny

Old 12-12-2001, 06:15 PM
Old timer

Originally posted by BLK CLS
Sounds familiar

http://www.acura-cl.com/forums/showt...ghlight=tranny

And it's going to keep sounding familiar until we DO something about it.
Old 12-12-2001, 06:36 PM
Suzuka Master

Originally posted by JRock

This is silly. Isn't it obvious by now that everyone's tranny has the likelihood of going out on them because of this inexcusable quality issue, and even worse, most will probably go out after the warranty is over?

When are we going to get a class-action thing going that demands Acura provide us with a warranty that covers the transmission for an extended period of time (seven years, 150k miles?) and enacts a fix for the transmission that actually does some GOOD?!

I think I'm more pissed off at anyone here who doesn't realize a class-action suit would get the problem more to the front and center where it belongs instead of under wraps at Acura's HQ.

I don't want money, I want a fucking car that is useable. You know, that thing I paid $31k for.

Hey, mine is working fine, but it has low miles...

However, when I see the second tranny fix stuff -- this is like pouring "salt in the wounds"

And some people say, "Well, only a few go -- ok???"

<-------------------------------->

1. Who do you propose to initiate the lawsuit?

2. Has anyone investigated what standard is required to initiate a "successful" class-action lawsuit (based on what has worked *and* what hasn't worked with auto issues).

a) How many, what kinds of failures, etc make for an effective class-action lawsuit?

b) What are the remedies. Do we get:
Sequential Manuals Gearboxes (for everyone)?
Free Manual Upgrade (for those desiring it)?
The extended warranty with guaranteed loner (Acura CLS/TLS or better vehicle) with any transmission failure incident (don't forget the hassle of driving around in a Geo Metro!)
A "come clean and punitive measures" set of remedies
Name yours here...

Comment: I know that this issue is now floating over the known BBS universe *and* the sales of the CLS are faltering... But, how much negative commentary needs to be generated before they feel the "pain" in sales enough to go public.

Here comes the flip side of going public:

Could you image if it turns out that only 5% of the trannies got a bad part (or two) -- beyond their control. And there is no way, without disassembly and testing to check the transmission. So, if only 5% of the boxes are doomed, what is the cost to give everyone a "super-beef" tranny? IMO -- there will be people doing everything in their power to "trash" the existing box to insure that they get the new "super-beef" model!
Old 12-12-2001, 06:55 PM
Instructor

Re: Lawsuit Against ACURA - TRANSMISSION FAILURE #2

Originally posted by jjc001
You spend 30K for a car that falls apart like a hyundai...

I'm done with my CL-S and Acura
let us know how we can join the 'class'..
and don't be dissing hyundai like that.. we had one for 100k miles with no problems..
Old 12-15-2001, 08:48 AM
Suzuka Master

you know what would fix all this?

GO PUBLIC! CALL FOX or Dateline or 60 min or those shows hell, tell Opera!

if a couple of you guys get together and go public your damn right acura is going to hear you out.
Old 12-15-2001, 09:45 AM
www.drippinwet.com

This shit is their fault and THEY ARE NOT HANDLING IT PROPERLY. That means it's time for some action from the victims.

i have 2 questions,
are you still driving your car?
has your transmission failed yet?
Old 12-15-2001, 09:47 AM
www.drippinwet.com

Originally posted by ruvz
I think it is the dealers who are NOT QUALIFIED to install new transmitions.
who would put yours in? Jiffy Lube
Old 12-15-2001, 10:11 AM
Instructor

how do i join? i brought this subject up a while back and some idiot had the nerves to ask me "a class action law-suit for what?" ----- either we poke acura in the ass now or keep taking it in ours. i vote, I'm doing the JAMMING!!!!!!
Old 12-15-2001, 10:53 AM
Suzuka Master

Received 3 Likes on 1 Post
Originally posted by SilverBulletCLS
how do i join? i brought this subject up a while back and some idiot had the nerves to ask me "a class action law-suit for what?" ----- either we poke acura in the ass now or keep taking it in ours. i vote, I'm doing the JAMMING!!!!!!
that';s nice...i'm an idiot now when you can't even answer the fucken' question.

if your tranny fails, the warranty fixes it, plain and simple.

you have no #s or % of failure, you don't know what you're suing for, you dont' know what it's gonna cost, you don't know what you're up against, but all you tout is "sue sue sue!"

and then when i ask you what you a question which you cannot clearly answer, you call me an idiot?
Old 12-15-2001, 11:14 AM
Suzuka Master

Originally posted by EricL

Hey, mine is working fine, but it has low miles...

However, when I see the second tranny fix stuff -- this is like pouring "salt in the wounds"

And some people say, "Well, only a few go -- ok???"

<-------------------------------->

1. Who do you propose to initiate the lawsuit?

2. Has anyone investigated what standard is required to initiate a "successful" class-action lawsuit (based on what has worked *and* what hasn't worked with auto issues).

a) How many, what kinds of failures, etc make for an effective class-action lawsuit?

b) What are the remedies. Do we get:
Sequential Manuals Gearboxes (for everyone)?
Free Manual Upgrade (for those desiring it)?
The extended warranty with guaranteed loner (Acura CLS/TLS or better vehicle) with any transmission failure incident (don't forget the hassle of driving around in a Geo Metro!)
A "come clean and punitive measures" set of remedies
Name yours here...

Comment: I know that this issue is now floating over the known BBS universe *and* the sales of the CLS are faltering... But, how much negative commentary needs to be generated before they feel the "pain" in sales enough to go public.

the tranny is not the reason cl sales are slow. cl sales are slow because it's a $30k+ coupe.

and about your list of remedies, why should acura give you MORE than what you had? if your tranny fails, why should they give you more than a new tranny? if you had some losses, maybe you can sue for this on an individual basis to recover what you lost financially, but then this can't be applied to a class action suit unless EVERYONE involved suffered the same financial losses. and why should they give ALL of us extended tranny warranties? if you have a bad tranny, you may be able to get one, but not everyone else. if you want that to be the case, go buy a hyundai.

and your statement with the word "punitive" has no place in this. "punitive" damages are awarded based on malicious intent. so are you saying acura wanted to hurt you, so they sold you a bad tranny?

i'm not arguing that people who suffered losses shoudln't sue, but i am arguing that there is no purpose to a class action suit in this case. if you suffered losses, then you have to recover on a case by case basis. YOU know what you lost and YOU know what you are suing for. in a class action suit, EVERYONE involved has to sue for the same thing, but that's impossible unless everyone suffered the same losses, which isn't the case. That's why i'm asking what a class action suit is suing for and no one has answered yet.

and SilverBulletCLS - Fuck you.
Old 12-15-2001, 11:26 AM
Instructor

mr deeno, im not asking for a new car nor a 6 speed manual tranny. all i want is security. if i replaced my first tranny at 28,000 miles, what can/should i expect in the future. for all i know, the second tranny could start to slip again at 50,001 miles (although highly unlikely) and who the hell will cover that tab? like i said before, it's either from my pocket or theirs, and i prefer to stay a happy camper....
Old 12-15-2001, 11:38 AM
Instructor

mrdeemo, no need for hasty vocabulary. take a chill pill then go fuck yourself.
Old 12-15-2001, 11:42 AM
Banned

Originally posted by NOVAwhiteTypeS
you know what would fix all this?

GO PUBLIC! CALL FOX or Dateline or 60 min or those shows hell, tell Opera!

if a couple of you guys get together and go public your damn right acura is going to hear you out.

I think the news agencies are a little distracted right now. We're closing on Bin Jerkoff... nobody cares about a few trannsmissions. GM owners deal with this every month.
Old 12-15-2001, 12:18 PM
Race Director

I image no one has sued because they cannot. They cannot because they don't have a case. How can you sue when the defendant has already agreed to comply? And once the defendant has agreed to comply, your thoughts of being compensated for loss of this...and loss of that....and money to help you feel better in the future....and thoughts of punishing Acura for what they might have done or known.....and whatever, you start to realize that no judge will award you anything for that unless you really, really, really had a solid case. And you don't, so you don't sue. That's why there are no lawsuits. If there are, let's see the case #.

As for "when are we going to do something to get Acura to start to react?", answer me this:

1.I have a manufacturer's warranty that will cover me to 50k miles.
2.I have an extended warranty that will cover the whole car including the tranny to 100k miles.

A person like me, what do you suggest that I do? What kind of idiot would I look like if I were to cry and whine and complain when I have the maximum protection already in place? What's my beef? That's I can't drive comfortably down the freeway because I'm just not sure if my transmission will fall out all over the road? And that's worth how much exactly? Can I get something for the pain and suffering I feel thinking that a mac truck might run me over and kill me next week, too?

I think those who are too cheap to minimize their risk with this vehicle by buying extra protection or getting quality maintenance are trying to get the rest of us to speak out to support them and get them the protection [that they do deserve] at our expense while they only take the minimum and less costly steps. Sounds like they are trying to ban together the entire Acura community against Acura for their own personal benefit and comfort and protection while they only do the minimum stuff and take no positive steps to mitigate the damage. "Is the 15,000 mile service required...", "Why is the dealing ripping me off...", "My car works well with regular unleaded....", "I drive 100mph daily....", etc.

A class-action lawsuit is suppose to protect the entire class and make the lawyers rich. Where do I benefit from a class action lawsuit? A class can't comprise of just the CL driver's who didn't get the extended warranty. What will I gain from a class action lawsuit, why should I support one? Yes I can opt out but the premise of the class is suppose to include everyone affected. It won't raise the resale value of my car and it won't ensure that my tranny won't fail. The only thing that I can see is maybe I won't have to pay a deductible and perhaps my expenses might get paid (upon a tranny failure) and maybe the tranny might get covered for a lifetime. Other than that, the rest of you bums get the benefit of a tranny protection without having to pay for an extended warranty. Maybe that's ok if you can find that Acura intentionally or knowingly did this (critical design flaw, etc), but under normal circumstances that wouldn't be fair to the rest of us.

So if everyone would go out and buy an extended warranty, and take their cars to a reputable maintenance facility (read: Acura; not your cousin's), then we might have a case, together. Otherwise you are on your own. There is no class. Individuals don't go into a class for personal benefit, sue on your own if you can.
Old 12-15-2001, 01:18 PM
Pro

Originally posted by mrdeeno

and your statement with the word "punitive" has no place in this. "punitive" damages are awarded based on malicious intent. so are you saying acura wanted to hurt you, so they sold you a bad tranny?

OK , how about COMPENSATORY

sure I knew you could
Old 12-15-2001, 01:20 PM
Old timer

Originally posted by kensteele
I image no one has sued because they cannot. They cannot because they don't have a case. How can you sue when the defendant has already agreed to comply? And once the defendant has agreed to comply, your thoughts of being compensated for loss of this...and loss of that....and money to help you feel better in the future....and thoughts of punishing Acura for what they might have done or known.....and whatever, you start to realize that no judge will award you anything for that unless you really, really, really had a solid case. And you don't, so you don't sue
wtf you talking about Ken. we dont want money. we want Acura to fix the fault in the tranny (the right and hell, the normal thing to do) so that we don't have to continue to suffer inconvenient transmission failures that can be avoided if the faulty part is fixed.

there is no compensation issue, there is only the issue of Acura not doing it's job properly. so this might be more of a Better Business Bureau issue than a lawsuit issue.

whatever the hell you want to call it the fault is acura not fixing a known problem with the transmission. by not fixing the source of the problem they are saying "we dont care that many of you will experience a transmission failure in the future due to this known problem." That's terrible business ethics. That should be changed by force if they do not wish to do the right thing on their own. They need to be legislated to fix the problem since they dont want to do it on their own.

It's very simple.

And don't give me any bullshit about ACura not knowing the source of the problem - they know. Hell some members here know, but cannot talk about it.

Very simple - now let's see something get done about it since Acura refuses to fix the problem of their own volition, and only offers a known-to-be-equally-faulty replacement part.

How hard is it for some of you to agree that Acura should FIX THE PROBLEM? I can't believe some of you act like it isn't their responsibility to produce something that works (and fix a major fault in something that isn't working). I guess people with a similar sentiment work at Acura, seeing as how they AREN'T fixing it.
Old 12-15-2001, 01:43 PM
www.drippinwet.com

just to let you in on a little class-action lawsuit info
Chrysler was notorious for transmission problems, and class action lawsuits were never won against them,

i for one will not worry about a transmission failure, "if" it happens, it will be warranty - and i only have the car for 3 years, so far (other than my accident) - the car has been great, and i love driving it.

i will not get involved in this - he said - she said, lawsuit against acura stuff

we don't know the real world driving habits of the cars in question/if any mods contribute to failures (don't flame - i said "we don't know" - but you have to take and look at all variables) i've seen plenty of abuse in my day that people cried warranty - then again maybe there is a problem, i'll be open minded to both sides (and staying neutral)

i just drive/enjoy my car
Old 12-15-2001, 01:48 PM
Suzuka Master

Originally posted by SilverBulletCLS
mrdeemo, no need for hasty vocabulary. take a chill pill then go fuck yourself.
i'm gonna apologize for my statement. i had a bad day and being called an 'idiot' pushed me over the edge.
Old 12-15-2001, 04:08 PM
Old timer

Originally posted by acura_service

and i only have the car for 3 years
Others here might not be so fortunate as to be able to buy another car within three years. It is average practice to keep a car around five years. The warranty is only good the first 50k miles anyway, and even the extended is only 100k.

I've had mine a little over seven months and I have 16500 miles on it already. Do you think I care about the problem being covered by the current warranty (which it is anyway)? No, see, I'm a little more worried that Acura isn't fixing the problem just replacing one faulty tranny with another one, and just biding their time until everyone has used up their warranties at which point they start making back the money on the warrantied trannies (because they will be charging us full price once our warranties go.)

This is why I'm looking for one of two things:

A: This problem to be covered by a special warranty for a minimum of five years.

B: A solution to the problem and voluntary recall so we can get the fixed transmission.

Those are both 100% legitimate things considering the situation we are faced with.

Just remember next time that just because you plan to be rid of your car within the warranty period, others here might not.
Old 12-15-2001, 04:19 PM
www.drippinwet.com

This is why I'm looking for one of two things:

A: This problem to be covered by a special warranty for a minimum of five years.

B: A solution to the problem and voluntary recall so we can get the fixed transmission.

i'm still staying neutral, but it won't happen

Quick Reply: Lawsuit Against ACURA - TRANSMISSION FAILURE #2