Latest pics of Kai's Volvo C70!

Search this Thread

Old 03-15-2003, 10:36 PM
Old timer

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Latest pics of Kai's Volvo C70!

Newest upgrades:

Projector HIDs in cleared headlight casings (one needed to be re-done and is back at the shop, so the car has a pirate look right now with one old and one new headlight case YARRR!)

LSD

Aftermarket clutch and pressure plate

Coilovers

HRE 18x8.5 rims

Kai can give you the brand name details, I just take the pics and drool.

Coming up:

Repainted hood, filled front plate drill holes, powder-coated body color front upper strut tie bar, I forget what else.
Old 03-15-2003, 10:54 PM
Safety Car

Received 7 Likes on 2 Posts
Wow!!! That is HOT! Can you take a pic of the projectors on? Thanks!
Old 03-15-2003, 10:54 PM
Cost Drivers!!!!

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Not a fan of those rims. It's a luxo ride....billet holes make too look ricey I love the car, so hot!!!!
Old 03-15-2003, 11:01 PM
Old timer

Hahahahaha $3500 "ricey" HRE wheels? You need to learn the meaning of rice, my friend.

And it's a 400whp sleeper, not a luxo slowmobile.
Old 03-15-2003, 11:01 PM
Suzuka Master

Oh, the car I wanted before the CL. It was almost in a done deal trade with my GTP for a C70 manual back in early 2000. Two months later I was driving home in a CL-S. But there is still something in my heart for the C70 even though the dealers were pricks (this coming from a BMW owner).

For some reason I just love the lines on the C70...
Old 03-15-2003, 11:03 PM
Safety Car

I always liked that car and wanted it before I wanted the CL.
Old 03-15-2003, 11:04 PM
Suzuka Master

HOLY SHIT!!! HRE's!!! man KAI you got too much LOOT to burn!!

looking good
Old 03-15-2003, 11:06 PM
Cost Drivers!!!!

Originally posted by JRock
Hahahahaha "ricey"? You need to learn the meaning of rice, my friend.

Jrock,
What has your panties in a bunch? The rims don't jive with the luxo car look. IT IS A LUXURY CAR. It's a FWD, FRONT HEAVY car. Despite that, if i had the cash i'd buy it without even thinking about it.
Old 03-15-2003, 11:08 PM
Old timer

Originally posted by Zapata
Jrock,
What has your panties in a bunch?
Hahaha, nothing - you just post the dumbest shit sometimes, bro. I just mentioned that in another thread about five minutes ago and here you are again posting something stupid.

I'm curious what a car's being FWD and front heavy have to do with whether or not it's a luxury car. And yes, a C70 is a luxury sport coupe - how does that make the rims look "ricey"?

Btw, half the bolts you see are just a reflection of them because of the angle of the wheel close-up pics. Look more carefully at the pics.
Old 03-15-2003, 11:10 PM
Suzuka Master

Where's the land???
Old 03-15-2003, 11:12 PM
Advanced

The rims don't jive with the luxo car look. IT IS A LUXURY CAR. It's a FWD, FRONT HEAVY car.
Now now guys, it's okay. I didn't build the car to satisfy everyone's taste. As long as some can see eyes to eyes with me on some of the mods, that's good enough already.

It is a so-so luxury car, wouldn't really call it all that luxury. But I see where you are coming from with this. I just wanted to spice the car a little bit more, that's all. BTW, FYI...the car came with some BBS multi-spokes 18s with the little bolts from Volvo also. At least their designers felt the same way about the car in the first place.

And don't worry, I got some rice can to back me up on the ricey wheels. It's all good.

Thanks for all your kind words.
Old 03-15-2003, 11:19 PM
Cost Drivers!!!!

Hahaha, nothing - you just post the dumbest shit sometimes, bro. I just mentioned that in another thread about five minutes ago and here you are again posting something stupid.

I'm curious what a car's being FWD and front heavy have to do with whether or not it's a luxury car. And yes, a C70 is a luxury sport coupe - how does that make the rims look "ricey"?

Btw, half the bolts you see are just a reflection of them because of the angle of the wheel close-up pics. Look more carefully at the pics.
Jrock,
Stupid? HUH? I can see the billets from the pictures at a distance as well. Different strokes for different folks man. I'm glad your friend likes the rims. Like i've said since the first post the car is hot without a doubt. I'm not a fan of the rims.
Old 03-15-2003, 11:19 PM
Moderator Alumnus

Looks great, I would definitely drive that car......

HREs are hot rims, but overall I'm not a fan of the bolts/billets (or should I say lots of them).
Old 03-15-2003, 11:21 PM
Old timer

Jrock,
Stupid? HUH?
Yeah, without a better explanation, what I'm referring to in that quote sounds pretty stupid. I wasn't saying your not liking the rims is stupid. Not everyone likes rims with bolts on them like that. Not a big deal.
Old 03-15-2003, 11:24 PM
It's Go-Time.

That's some pretty heavy-duty mods! Not too hot on the wheels, IMO.
Old 03-15-2003, 11:24 PM
Cost Drivers!!!!

Originally posted by Volvokindaguy
Now now guys, it's okay. I didn't build the car to satisfy everyone's taste. As long as some can see eyes to eyes with me on some of the mods, that's good enough already.

It is a so-so luxury car, wouldn't really call it all that luxury. But I see where you are coming from with this. I just wanted to spice the car a little bit more, that's all. BTW, FYI...the car came with some BBS multi-spokes 18s with the little bolts from Volvo also. At least their designers felt the same way about the car in the first place.

And don't worry, I got some rice can to back me up on the ricey wheels. It's all good.

Thanks for all your kind words.

Agreed Glad you like the look. As long as you like it Didn't the c70 also have the option for the split spoke wheel? I'm on the volvo website now and it seems they no longer offer it.
Old 03-15-2003, 11:50 PM
Advanced

Didn't the c70 also have the option for the split spoke wheel? I'm on the volvo website now and it seems they no longer offer it.
Yeah, actually when I bought mine, I got the 5 star split spoke style(standard equip). Hated the look, but I didn't want to spend extra $$ for the factory 18s(BBS look). So I went out and got the Volk III's not too long after taking delivery of the car.

Don't know, most of my friends who saw the car w/ new wheels in person like them a lot better than my old ones. But if you guys were already not fans of the bolts look in the first place, I guess it doesn't matter either way.

I've always been a fan of the look. Just think the single piece or anything w/o the bolts. I personally just think the look w/ bolts is a little bit more "muscular". The car has very simple lines, if you put some big flat 5 spokes, it'd just look too plain. Like I said...just want to spice it up more.

Thanks for the other comments, though.
Old 03-16-2003, 12:18 AM
Cost Drivers!!!!

volvokindaguy,
hmmmm yeah i'm thinking of different rims. I'll have to see if I can find them. Those BBS don't look all that good either.
Old 03-16-2003, 12:22 AM
Safety Car

Originally posted by Volvokindaguy
The car has very simple lines, if you put some big flat 5 spokes, it'd just look too plain. Like I said...just want to spice it up more.

Thanks for the other comments, though.
makes sense to me.

for the lights did you use a 5 series/X5 projector or something other?
Old 03-16-2003, 01:19 AM
Instructor

Question, what type of mods does he have under the hood. My Mom has a 2001 C70 and it came with 235 hp. Please let me know. Maybe I can get her to mod her Volvo!!!
Old 03-16-2003, 03:57 AM
Suzuka Master

Originally posted by 2003CLTYPES
Question, what type of mods does he have under the hood. My Mom has a 2001 C70 and it came with 235 hp. Please let me know. Maybe I can get her to mod her Volvo!!!
last time Kai listed all his mods it was like 2 pages longs.

from what i remember, upgraded turbos' i think t4 last time but he might have put a t5/t6 , and the usual stuff w/ turbo upgrades and a complete blueprint of engine. and other stuff..
Old 03-16-2003, 06:39 AM
Changin bulbs since '73

Received 12 Likes on 4 Posts
Originally posted by scalbert
Oh, the car I wanted before the CL. It was almost in a done deal trade with my GTP for a C70 manual back in early 2000. Two months later I was driving home in a CL-S. But there is still something in my heart for the C70 even though the dealers were pricks (this coming from a BMW owner).

For some reason I just love the lines on the C70...

i love the lines of the C70. The car looks very classy IMO. I wanted one real bad.
Old 03-16-2003, 08:58 AM
The Creator

Received 8 Likes on 3 Posts
shit is sick.

i like the rims too.

Old 03-16-2003, 09:12 AM
Old timer

Originally posted by NOVAwhiteTypeS
last time Kai listed all his mods it was like 2 pages longs.
Yeah no kidding.

Here's the "Engine" section of the mods list I found at swedespeed.com:

Engine:
Custom Tuned ECU. T3/T04E Ceramic Ball bearing turbo. Super 54 trim with .63 A/R Stage III Turbine 3" Mandrel bent downpipe 3" Race cat by Random Technology or 3" test pipe for track use. Full 3" piping with 3" straight through Dynomax Ultra Flow muffler for mid section. Blitz NUR Spec muffler 4.5" Tip. A'PEXi muffler silencer. A'PEXi AVC-R. Extrude Hone'd exhaust manifold with 10mm connecting studs. Hand ported and polished inlet manifold. Camshafts from '98 B5254FS M4.4 , inlet & exhaust. 20+ hours of labor for ported and polished head work. Engine blueprinted and balanced. 5 angle (3-2 angle) valve job. 8.5mm Magnacor Wires. Blitz blow-off valve. Swain Tech White Lightning thermal barrier ceramic coating for engine piping. Cunningham connecting rods. Ross pistons. Polished crankshaft, 6 pot semi-race clutch, big bore throttle body, custom cold air intake, reroute IC pipe. Battery relocated to the trunk... 440 cc/min RC Engineering fuel injectors, WALBRO fuel pump, Dastek AFC, and GReddy EGT, boost gauge. Autotech IC upgrade. Aeromotive Fuel Pressure Regulator, HKS Wastegate.
And since then it's gotten an intercooler upgrade and a different aftermarket clutch (another clutch because the last one was installed at EIP Tuning in Westminster, MD, and they're a bunch of monkeys who installed it wrong (DONT EVER GO TO EIP TUNING FOR PERFORMANCE MODIFICATIONS!). There are also some iridium plugs he showed me last night to be put in soon.
Old 03-16-2003, 09:53 AM
an adult perspective

Received 26 Likes on 24 Posts
Originally posted by scalbert
... even though the dealers were pricks (this coming from a BMW owner).
Absolutely right about the dealers! The first C70 I saw (pre-production Gold which had been making the rounds in So Cal and I think the one that Motorweek featured) in the area was sitting on the showroom floor of my local dealer (Lehman in York) and I dropped by one night to check it out. You couldn't even get the guys to open the doors, but after about 1 1/2 hours they allowed me to test fit it. Then some guy shows up in his new vette talking about the new ML he'd ordered, and the older of the two salesman tells him he could order one with a $10K deposit. I started laughing when I heard this, and when the salesman asked why, I told him that I could go down to Timonium and order a new CLK with nothing more than a $100 deposit which was refundable if I didn't like it when it arrived, and told him that a $10K deposit was rediculous for a car which Volvo was trying to use to re-enter the coupe niche (hadn't had a 2dr since the early 80's GT became a casualty) - especially with all the delays it had been experiencing. When the vette guy agreed with me, the salesman got extremely pissed - and I never received any follow-up info on the car at all. Koons Volvo had a $5K markup on theirs - Bill Kidd in Timonium had theirs locked up with some sign on it stating that they wouldn't let anybody into it out of respect for it's prospective buyer, and Stadler in Lancaster would only let it's "preferred" customers take it out for a test drive when it arrived (you could buy the floor model but would have to wait 3 months so that people could look at it). I got fed up and bought an M3 instead, and have never had a moment of regret - especially after 5 years when the M3 is still going strong, the model has not been discontinued, and the value of the car has kept up pretty much with the CLK, while the C70 value has fallen off the map by comparison.
Old 03-16-2003, 10:07 AM
GEEZER

Received 2,214 Likes on 1,418 Posts
so...I guess it's fast!:-* looks like a chick car to me....

Just kiddin...its a super sweet car..I am just jealous.:P
Old 03-16-2003, 12:27 PM
Honkey

I like the car.
I like the wheels.
I like the color.
I like the bolts.
I like the entire style.

-Aaron
Old 03-16-2003, 01:09 PM
trying to get a lil V-I

beautiful ride...I've always liked the HREs on a classy car. Your old wheels were nice too...

too...bad they don't make it no more...

kai
Old 03-16-2003, 01:49 PM
Drifting

That's one hot car! Great job!