Just Wondering....

Search this Thread

Old 01-06-2003, 03:25 PM
GTP

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Just Wondering....

When everyone talks about these races and talks about whether the CL has a chacne or not does anyone consider the driver and his driving ability? I have raced my friend in SS. It came down to driving for driving as we changed lanes and he just didnt have the technique. He would do the old "ride up the right lane" because he was only looking 50 feet in front of him. All I'm saying is that it's not always the car, it's the driver as well. THe driver makes or breaks the car.
Old 01-06-2003, 07:38 PM
What, me drive fast?

The races that are talked about here aren't generally in lots of traffic. Yes, the driver is a prime component of any race...but racing in traffic where there is a lot of lane changing and LUCK as far as who gets a break in the traffic doesn't say anything about which car is fastest (or which driver is the best). In fact, all you are doing is putting a lot of people in danger by racing in those conditions. I avoid racing in traffic, as do a lot of other people on this forum.
Old 01-06-2003, 11:00 PM
///M POWER

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
i dont race in traffic, i got a spot we always go at
Old 01-07-2003, 03:23 PM
GTP

If you do not race on streets or anything, then how would you go about seeing who is the better driver? I mean, anyone can press down on a pedal and shift......
Old 01-07-2003, 03:51 PM
What, me drive fast?

There is always racing on streets...at street lights, when there isn't heavy traffic, etc, etc. If you are in a situation where you are swerving in and out of traffic, cutting people off, then you are racing at a really stupid time. If you want to know who has the faster car, then all you need to do is go to a track and "press down the pedal and shift"!!!

If you want to race with a lot of "traffic", try F1 go-cart racing in Braintree, MA! That place rocks! Plus you won't have to worry about @#$% up your car or someone elses!
Old 01-07-2003, 04:03 PM
GTP

Well I guess according to you then my friends are dumb. Because anytime we ever talk about our races, the story is always on a 3 lane highway, and there is always talk of changing lanes and things of that nature. I mean, hell, I've raced someone on the Delaware Memorial Bridge. haha. I just don't think that it would be all the much fun racing down a straight track for 14 seconds or so. I personally prefer a race from my house to the mall. haha. Just my thought...
Old 01-08-2003, 10:00 AM
still a Masshole

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts
Guf, the problem is that if you race with other people in traffic you never know when someone not paying attention will switch lanes in front of you. Hey, I think I have skills too, but I just don't trust others enough to be weaving in and out of traffic at high speeds.
Old 01-08-2003, 12:14 PM
What, me drive fast?

FWIW, I don't think that you or your friends are dumb. I just think that there are better times to race than a congested highway. Like ferizzo said, it isn't only about your skills, it might be about some dumb@ss that switched lanes without signalling first. I have raced many times on highways...rt 93, rt495...I just like to win because I have a superior car, not because I missed an opportunity to switch lanes and got stuck behind a slow car. Therefor I race when I am not endangering anyone else besides myself!

So, to take your arguement one step farther, if what you really want to prove is that you are a better driver then you really need to be racing against an identical car. Otherwise it might be the car not the driving skills that beat you.

Anyhow, this thread is boring.
Old 01-08-2003, 12:28 PM
Instructor

There is a time and place for a little street running. Weaving in and out of traffic while racing is just plain stupid, pure and simple. You put innocent people in danger. If no traffic, then the ones in danger are the people doing the racing unless car goes out of control and who knows.
Take it to the track. Take a drivers high performance track Event. They usually have them at any track near you. BMW, Audi clubs, Alfa, Acura. Lexus clubs may all have these Drivers Schools. They include dry/wet skipad, slalom, braking, lane toss up's, and a couple of hours on the race track honing these skills. You will realize that people really do not know how to handle their car correctly in various situations and "Will" F@@K UP. The crime for being in a race and damagin property or hurting someone is severe! Why chance it on the streets.
Attend a school and you will find yourself shaking your head at the dumb ass things that people do on the street, and wonder why there are not more accidents out there! : )
Oh to clear up any doubt a "Track" is like Buttonwillow, Laguna Seca, Sears Point. A Strip is the drags, straight line stuff. So head to your strip or track and have a blast, hone your skills"Tightening up the Loose Nut Behind the Steering Wheel"
Old 01-08-2003, 02:07 PM
What, me drive fast?

Ming2.7T...vey well put.

My guess is that Guf is pretty young and hasn't thought the consequenses through.

I got a performance driving class as a Christmas gift this year from my fiance'. The only "problem" is that it is the Skip Barber School so I'll end up learning on Dodges. The good part is, that at the end of it you get to take a Viper out. I don't think that she could find any Acura preformance classes.
Old 01-08-2003, 03:52 PM
still a Masshole

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts
blackmagiCL_S, you should come down for a MA meet sometime.
Old 01-09-2003, 09:28 AM
What, me drive fast?

I would love to come down for a meet...where and when? Someone was trying to get a New England meet going in a different thread but I didn't realize that there was a MA one already established...
Old 01-09-2003, 10:28 AM
Happy CL-S Pilot

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Count me in as long as the MA weather is so nice so I can wash and wax my CLS.... It is burried under a "ton" of snow now...
Old 01-09-2003, 12:10 PM
What, me drive fast?

Trust me...I "feel your pain" as far as needing to wash my car. I can barely see out the side windows due to the road crud on them. I am also d@mn tired of having to clean snow off my car off every morning. Maybe we can have the meet at the end of January, since I am getting my springs installed on the 24th (at Sunnyside Acura actually).

Weather report isn't calling for snow for a while...maybe I can spray it off after work today. Happiness is a clean car.