Just ordered Unorthodox Ultra SS Pullies

Search this Thread

Old 06-03-2002, 05:00 PM
Happy CL-S Pilot

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Re: 6 Speeders

Originally posted by Titand19
I'm bring my car into UR tomorrow to install the Ultra SS. I will be getting a before and after dyno. I'll post tomorrow. They are using my car as a tester.
Good luck, keep us posted. Thanks.
Old 06-03-2002, 06:08 PM
Senior Moderator

Received 388 Likes on 196 Posts
Originally posted by EricL

Could you report on before and after vibration sensations from the engine?????

Others?
i thought our motor was internally balanced.
Old 06-03-2002, 07:38 PM
Broke youngster :(

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
As of today, 6/3/02, I'm officially an Acura employee at Valencia Acura in Valencia California. My Unorthodox Racing Ultra SS Pullies should be in by the end of the week, with wholesale pricing, + 10% off of that, thanks to my discounts. Valencia Acura has started a new store through the parts department, called VA Motorsports.

VA Motorsports has ads running in all the major magazines now, or the next issue for sure. Its located about 5 minutes from Magic Mountain off the 5 freeway, very very good prices and good installation if you purchased the parts there as well. Feel free to call them at (661) 252-3000 (ask for parts dept.). They have a direct toll free line now, but I forget the number and I don't have it written down.

Anyways Enjoy and congrats to all ppl who bought the Ultra SS pullies, they should be great!

Nick
Old 06-03-2002, 08:07 PM
Suzuka Master

Originally posted by mattg

i thought our motor was internally balanced.
(Whatever “internally balanced” means… [I can think of a gillion variations on that theme…])

1. An inline 6 is perfectly balanced (along with other engines). It accounts for the Bimmers turbine like smoothness (yes, much smoother than the Acura V6).

2. The weight on the pulley helps damp-out any vibrations. The motor mounts help too. Just ‘cause the engine doesn’t use balance shafts or a dedicated harmonic damper, doesn’t mean that ALL engines don’t create vibrations that get transferred into to the passengers…

excerpt:

"...inline six, flat six, and V-12 engines have no net shaking force *when they are spinning but not actually firing*. Once actually running (firing), ALL internal combustion engines have both shaking forces AND harmonics acting in at least one degree of freedom, i.e., torsional motion about the crankshaft axis. In most cases there are also shaking forces in several of the remaing five degrees of freedom.

And the purpose of the doohickey on the front of the crank - call it a harmonic balancer or a vibration dampener or the Grand Panjandrum With the Little Round Button On Top, that doesn't change its function - is to reduce the damaging effect of this pulsating, vibrating, harmonic-laden force twisting the crank..."

Making the crank pulley and/or flywheel heavier helps reduce vibrations. THE ENGINE IS NOT A TURBINE!!!!!

Racers don’t give a squat about “passenger comfort”; it's performance that wins races! (An exception to that statement would relate to cars with drivers being cooked at 130+ degrees due to lack of cooling (no cool suit/no insulation/low cool air venting) and suspensions that are so stiff that they knock the brain around inside of the driver’s skull…)
Old 06-03-2002, 08:23 PM
Senior Moderator

so the ur pulley will still dampen the vibrations, just not as much cuz it's lighter?

let us all take a moment of silence to pray for a smooth operating 3.2 liter engine w/ ur ss pulleys.
Old 06-04-2002, 12:18 AM
Suzuka Master

The other side....

so the ur pulley will still dampen the vibrations, just not as much cuz it's lighter?

let us all take a moment of silence to pray for a smooth operating 3.2 liter engine w/ ur ss pulleys.
Confession taped at the ‘Church of the Eccentric Harmonics”:

“’Our pulleys, that are still in heaven … give us this day our daily HP fix and save us from evil vibrations….’ It has been 6-months since my last tranny break-down confession…” ?…?

Well, I'll go to the opposite extreme, and suggest that if I made the "Slow Down Kit" with 80lb pulley" ( ), it would probably be much smoother and would damp the engine vibrations to make the engine very smooth. However, the only people that would want it, would be the ones that want the:

HAI (Hot Air Intake) -- 1200 Watts of Desert Valley heat brought to your intake. (think of a really big hair dryer)

Tailpipe restrictor -- "Banana in the tailpipe", but non-organic and with adjustable "kill" settings.

800 lb Depleted Uranium wheel kit -- (for that oh-so-smooth ride) -- Front Bummer Ram and Spike extension not included...

And

The "non-resonator" (AKA N-RES) -- a servo controlled valve that reversed the operation of the IMRC valve to make sure it operates in reverse to lose valuable power at the bottom and top speed ranges! rolleyes:
Old 06-04-2002, 01:00 AM
Senior Moderator

lol

eric, is there such thing as cold air injection? like if you plumbed your a/c via dryer hose to the filter on the cai. would the cold air charge make up for the a/c being on? you would of course have to make it so the a/c would run at wot.
Old 06-04-2002, 01:11 AM
Suzuka Master

lol

eric, is there such thing as cold air injection? like if you plumbed your a/c via dryer hose to the filter on the cai. would the cold air charge make up for the a/c being on? you would of course have to make it so the a/c would run at wot.

The thermodynamics wouldn't make it work out -- you would need a source of "compressed" energy. You could look at DOD stuff that refers to "peak/pulsed energy" devices/theory (Like having a small compressor run to build-up air pressure with a small 1-HP pump and then dump the equivalent of 20HP of cooling in a short "run" and off-the-line.

The "hot" ticket is too keep a ice cold bottle or a heat exchanger with dry ice in it to "drop the intake charge temp" (as they do in supercharged apps) and as they do for ice-cooled intercoolers for turnbos...

The closest thing to that is a bottle of compressed air and something called a Hilsh Vortech device:

LINK: http://www.visi.com/~darus/hilsch/

"With nothing more than a few pieces of plumbing and a source of compressed air, you can build a remarkably simple device for attaining moderately low temperatures. It separates high-energy molecules from those of low energy. George O. Smith, an engineer of Rumson, N. I., discusses its theory and construction

The 19th century British physicist James Clerk Maxwell made many deep contributions to physics, and among the most significant was his law of random distribution. Considering. the case of a closed box containing a gas, Maxwell started off by saying that the temperature of the gas was due to the motion of the individual gas molecules within the box. But since the box was standing still, it stood to reason that the summation of the velocity and direction of the individual gas molecules must come to zero."

http://www.montagar.com/~patj/hilmnu.htm

Already made up:

http://www.exair.com/vortextube/vt_frmain.htm