just got off the phone with doug and ...

Search this Thread

Old 05-06-2002, 12:29 PM
Senior Moderator

Received 48 Likes on 33 Posts
just got off the phone with doug and ...

...well, its not good but its not that bad...the call was super brief but this is where he says he stands...
intially the company would do a run of 1000 units...fine...doug had to raise the money and did...all plans are finialized units have meet inspection and CADs are perfect...now they want to do an intial run of 2400 all of which doug would have to pay for up front...and can not or more over WILL not do....they sit now at, either they do the 1000 unit prooduction or he finds somone that will....for those of you that are fimiliar with CNC machining to CAD spec... if the go were reached, they could be turning out dozens on units per hour if not more....so here we sit...let the waiting continue...
Old 05-06-2002, 12:59 PM
Senior Moderator

Received 12 Likes on 9 Posts
How much more $$ does Doug need to come up with?

To all of the nay sayers -> :thumbsdn:

Thanks for the update Steve.
Old 05-06-2002, 12:59 PM
Happy CL-S Pilot

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
I smell a dead rat here...

If rasing money or minimun number of units is too high....

Why in the world he does not take PRE-Orders and this way he can raise some money and get his minmun numbers...

Besides making a 1 unit or 1000, or 100,000 is the same it's a CNC machine that does the same work, done by damn PC!

The cost per unit is the same if you fab 1 or 10,000 units, there should be no number on the minimun number of units to be produced!!!

Finally, assumimg it would cost $150-$200 to CNC a unit,.... 1,000 unit would cost a good $200,000. A very nice chunk of business if you would ask me.. No sane businessman would pass on this Purchase Order!!

Oh do not forget, In the business world, any PO invoice has a minumun 30 day to be paid, some businesses tolerate up to 90 days on unsettled accounts recievable.... So, paid up front is bit fishy or can be solved quickly... If Doug can show the supplier a Lettec of Credit (LC from Doug's Corporate Bank), the supplier would be satisfied and paid-up-front is not required.

Still I am about this BS line of excuses....:angry:

Mike: Sorry, it was how I felt... only my opinions, no offense is intended...
Old 05-06-2002, 01:03 PM
Senior Moderator

Received 12 Likes on 9 Posts
Then give up and quit whining about it and quit posting threads about it.
Old 05-06-2002, 01:27 PM
Three Wheelin'

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Again, I'll give my car as a test mule, & I'll pay for it too.
Old 05-06-2002, 01:29 PM
Cost Drivers!!!!

I'd be willing to pre-order if that would help. Moreover, i'm sure some members, including myself, would give some upfront money to get this started. As long as, we'd get a nice discount on the purchase price. If $ is the only thing holding it up then we can solve that.....
Old 05-06-2002, 01:32 PM
Cost Drivers!!!!

Scalbert, attention, Scalbert Do you know anybody that would be able to hook us up????????
Old 05-06-2002, 01:36 PM
Smack My B*tch Up

what about mmII, I'm sure that can help out in the process (mo money).

I say start selling MMII before RES.
Old 05-06-2002, 01:44 PM
Happy CL-S Pilot

I will pre-order one, if this helps...
Old 05-06-2002, 02:30 PM
Iconoclast

If you guys don't think getting this produced is that big a deal, why don't YOU front the money to get it produced.

Doug's a car guy who started this on his own. He's the service manager at Rick Case Honda, which makes him a working stiff like most of us. Fronting that kind of money, with no guarantee of selling all the units is a pretty tough nut to swallow.

And before you all go off saying that he could sell thousands here on this board, think about it - there are proabably a few hundred he could sell here, but then what? He'd be on the hook for the rest. I've seen group buys fall apart becasue 10 people couldn't commit.

Presell? Not my cash. I'd want a guarantee that this thing has been produced and works.

Probably the best bet at this point would be for him to turn it over to Tim at autoparts.com or someone similar who has the financial wherewithal to get the job done.

And I know what kind of howls of protest that suggestion will bring here.
Old 05-06-2002, 02:31 PM
Senior Moderator

Received 48 Likes on 33 Posts
i thought about a sorta of promise to purchase list, or a very interested list but unless we had 2000+ plus i dont know if it would help...
but yes he has to come up with a hudge chunk of change ...i doubt if he was rich as hell he be mananger of service out of rc honda...im sure he loves cars but lets face it...he's a working stiff like most of us and this is mortaging part of his families future....the up front cost......personally ill wait....
Old 05-06-2002, 02:36 PM
Cost Drivers!!!!

I'm willing to wait as well. Can we get some dyno's again maybe that would stir some interest. I'm sure doug must be trying something to get this product out onto the market. I don't think he'd want to sit on it since he has invested so much time and money into it. I wouldn't want doug to shell out the money and then be bankrupt because people didn't buy even though they promised on a list. The wait goes on......

Just do the thousand unit run. Doug wouldn't have to front the money would he??
Old 05-06-2002, 02:51 PM
Three Wheelin'

Would this thing work with only the Type S engine? Will it work with a regular 3.2, or accord V6 engine.
Old 05-06-2002, 02:53 PM
Three Wheelin'

How about selling the plans/specs to AEM, or someone else. Let them bring it to market, & have doug get rich.
Old 05-06-2002, 02:58 PM
Cost Drivers!!!!

Originally posted by JasonT
How about selling the plans/specs to AEM, or someone else. Let them bring it to market, & have doug get rich.

That's a thought but this technique could be applied to alot of engines. Doug could design more stuff in the future for other cars and AEM would only give him a price for the design which wouldn't be as much as if doug could get this thing made himself. I wouldn't sell either.
Old 05-06-2002, 03:46 PM
Suzuka Master

The only way I could see this being a feasible production and inventory item would be to do lots of 50 - 100 pieces. This is a limited market where companies cannot (and should not) take on a burden of 2400 units which may take two years to sell.

Unless they mark it up 3 - 4 times the overall costs it is not a good decision.

Production runs of 100 pieces could be within reason but I would expect the manufacturing costs to be in the $400 range including material. Add overhead and markup and now we may be nearing $1k selling price.
Old 05-06-2002, 04:40 PM
Senior Moderator

Received 388 Likes on 196 Posts
no bueno!
Old 05-06-2002, 07:43 PM
I LOVE MY CAR

This sounds like a tough situation... Is there any chance of getting the manufactuer to produce a TEST RUN of say.... 200-300 units???? you know, just to test the market?? Then after Doug sells though those in about a week.... they could move on from there.

Maybe the quick selling of a test run would encourage the manufacturer to be a little more flexible with future production runs...

Not sure what we else we could do from here
Old 05-06-2002, 09:20 PM
Iconoclast

The way some crybabies are carrying on here, you'd think that Doug has done some personal grevious injury to them. There's another thread on this board a-hole thread where they're ragging on Doug and one idiot even advocates emailing Doug and hassling him. Of course he won't do it himself because "I am affraid, I would be rude with him on the phone".

Get a life you guys. Read this thread backwards and then think real hard how childish you really sound.

Doug's a hard working regular guy who's trying to do a few enthusiasts a good turn and add some extra punch to their cars. Now all he's trying to do is get the thing produced without losing his shirt, mortgaging the house, or losing the whole deal to someone else. Give the guy a break.
Old 05-06-2002, 10:28 PM
Happy CL-S Pilot

Originally posted by FLL Type-S
[B].... There's another thread on this board a-hole thread where they're ragging on Doug and one idiot even advocates emailing Doug and hassling him. Of course he won't do it himself because "I am affraid, I would be rude with him on the phone"..../B]
Without any further insults, you would better keep your offensive farts of your mind to yourself....

No one was advocating hassiling syncivic... You should better understand that a simple status update was nice to have, emailing doug for such update is no crime...

All in all it was in good intention and no harm intended....:sqnteek:
Old 05-06-2002, 10:49 PM
Suzuka Master

Well, I could see some stuck between a rock and a hard place issues that may offer some help from "this end" (my opinions only, so don't think I've talked to anyone about this):

How many of you guys would be willing to pay more (and how much more) for the opportunity to be the first to get the units?

You must know, that he is probably stuck between a rock and a hard place due to the "expectations" (and inability to please everyone) regarding price, early delivery, testing, and other issues.

So, I'm tossing out a poll for (maybe it helps, maybe it doesn't purposes [call it curiosity] and see if an alternate solution could be arrived at by bumping the price of a "smaller" run...
Old 05-06-2002, 10:58 PM
on bin laden

Originally posted by Nashua_Night_Hawk
Besides making a 1 unit or 1000, or 100,000 is the same it's a CNC machine that does the same work, done by damn PC!

The cost per unit is the same if you fab 1 or 10,000 units, there should be no number on the minimun number of units to be produced!!!
I don't have my panties in a bunch over this at all, but I am curious if this statement is correct. Any answers?
Old 05-06-2002, 11:11 PM
Suzuka Master

Originally posted by fbazakos

I don't have my panties in a bunch over this at all, but I am curious if this statement is correct. Any answers?

I do have a reply and what I'm saying probably depends on the "place".

There are some shops that need setup time. To presume that the only cost is just the "interpretation" of instructions to guide the machine is: "it depends".

Companies have standards, and the assumption here is the CNC machine is the only issue. If this is the case, why is it, that I CAN'T get some rather special o-rings from a company that has them in stock, but only sells them my the truck load OR train load (they sell 100,000 quantities). The stuff is already in stock, and I asked if there was anyway to get the stuff. The guy, who was very nice, said, "We just aren't setup to deal with something of a smaller size and would have to charge you a fortune..." (The bottom line is: the guy would have to make-up and do the paperwork, get numerous managers involved, and so on.)

So, at the very bottom level, there are companies that set up schedules, etc based on a "certain scale". (Sometimes if the "scale" is close enough, some $$$ will grease the wheels)

IMO, assuming that the CNC machine is the only item of concern is silly.

There are setup charges comprised of actual people doing the setup AND administration fees...

There is also the issue regarding Q/A and initial setup Q/A. Someone has to do this, and it gets absorbed into the cost of the run. There are also scheduling issues, and so on.
Old 05-07-2002, 01:32 AM
Banned

typeR:
Hmmm this is not a promise...nor am I sure it's possible...but I know you've probably seen my sills/trim groupbuy right? Okay...they're making that with a CNC...that takes CAD specs....specifically a half a million dollar CNC. Now as to the specifics of the machine, I do not know. However if it can cut our trim perfectly, which it has done, and our sills...then you may want to give these guys a try. They're the same guys who cut all the marble for the new Perimeter Mall for those of you in Dunwoody (Atlanta) GA. So if you want me to ask, or want their contact info, let me know. They contract out (obviously our trim/sills isn't some huge hundred thousand dollar deal...but they're doing it). And they're really REALLY cool guys...and do great work...so if he wants to talk with them...just offering.

Austin519
Old 05-07-2002, 07:49 AM
Cost Drivers!!!!

Originally posted by Austin519
typeR:
Hmmm this is not a promise...nor am I sure it's possible...but I know you've probably seen my sills/trim groupbuy right? Okay...they're making that with a CNC...that takes CAD specs....specifically a half a million dollar CNC. Now as to the specifics of the machine, I do not know. However if it can cut our trim perfectly, which it has done, and our sills...then you may want to give these guys a try. They're the same guys who cut all the marble for the new Perimeter Mall for those of you in Dunwoody (Atlanta) GA. So if you want me to ask, or want their contact info, let me know. They contract out (obviously our trim/sills isn't some huge hundred thousand dollar deal...but they're doing it). And they're really REALLY cool guys...and do great work...so if he wants to talk with them...just offering.

Austin519

EMAIL DOUG!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!! He might not be reading the board on a frequent basis and might not see this!
Old 05-07-2002, 08:51 AM
Iconoclast

Originally posted by Nashua_Night_Hawk
All in all it was in good intention and no harm intended....:sqnteek:
Sure it was. So was posting his picture and his email address with the highlighted hyperlink.

As was your comment that "I am affraid,(sic) I would be rude with him on the phone".

But that's OK - no harm intended. Yeah, right.
Old 05-07-2002, 11:58 AM
Got BOOST????

Can someone please enlighten me. What the fu*k is RES. i did a search and didn't answer my question. Thanks for ur help. Details would be great.
Old 05-07-2002, 12:01 PM
Old timer

Resonance Enhancement System:

Instead of a throaty growl when the second plenum opens, it sounds like an opera singer. The musical value alone is worth 25hp.

Okay actually it's a revised, larger, smoother intake manifold that increases the engine's ability to take in more air, quicker.
Old 05-07-2002, 12:17 PM
Got BOOST????

Has anyone evertried honeing out ur throtle body or honeing out ur intake valves. I forget what its called.