Just got my headers and Icebox installed...

Search this Thread

Old 06-21-2003, 07:23 PM
Burning Brakes

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Just got my headers and Icebox installed...

Garage Kwai ... awesome guys .. awesome job. Thanks to those who recommended them ..

Headers -- definitely over 5000 rpms .. awesome .. not a night and day difference, but definitely noticeable ..

Icebox .. hard to say .. whisper quiet .. today is a pretty hot day .. so I don't know if i can really tell -- it should make itself more apparent below 60 degrees.

Thanks again to all those who helped me make my install decisions...

Raj
Old 06-21-2003, 07:25 PM
Senior Moderator

Received 388 Likes on 196 Posts
cool. you must be stoked.
Old 06-21-2003, 07:53 PM
///M POWER

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
headers kick ass
Old 06-21-2003, 07:54 PM
It's Go-Time.

Enjoy em'!!
Old 06-21-2003, 11:08 PM
Drifting

might not feel em for a week or so until your computer remaps itself. resetting might be a quicker solution
Old 06-21-2003, 11:51 PM
Suzuka Master

Originally posted by zigzagzig
might not feel em for a week or so until your computer remaps itself. resetting might be a quicker solution
And why do you state this?? Are you sure about this and what actually gets reset in the ECU??

There are many myths floating around and this is one of the largest...

BTW, congrats TL_Type_S and enjoy the ride. You will feel both the headers and the intake more so as the weather gets cooler. Summer is an awful time for power.
Old 06-22-2003, 02:37 AM
Burning Brakes

Originally posted by scalbert
And why do you state this?? Are you sure about this and what actually gets reset in the ECU??

There are many myths floating around and this is one of the largest...

BTW, congrats TL_Type_S and enjoy the ride. You will feel both the headers and the intake more so as the weather gets cooler. Summer is an awful time for power.
You couldn't be more right .. i just drove home tonight .. when I left for my night out .. it was 75 and humid .. didn't really feel the power as much .. definitely noticeable though ...

tonight, on the drive back .. 60 degrees and dry .. HOLY COW... the car wanted to pull hard in the first three gears, didn't matter which. Chirps into second CONSISTENTLY .. i love it ... I should have done this sooner.

I talked to the techs at Garage Kwai .. they said resetting the ECU was a myth .. didn't do anything... I'll do it anyway .. just cuz I'm so obsessed w/ gaining more pwr .. it's not going to hurt anything

P.S. I had three buddies in the car w/ my tonight, and I floored it onto an onramp to the highway and gunned it to 100 mph .. wow... didn't stop pulling .. very nice. $1000.00 well spent
Old 06-22-2003, 02:39 AM
Burning Brakes

Originally posted by mattg
cool. you must be stoked.
I feel like I just bought this car for the first time, again. It's a very different car now, and I feel more authoratative on the road again, and I feel i can lose "less often."

My tires are soooo bald though .. I need traction down low .. I peel out up till 5000 rpms in 1st gear.. that's pretty bad, isn't it?

I'm considering the comptech exhaust now .. do you think that i'll notice an effect top end? I've heard it may also kill some low end power...
Old 06-22-2003, 02:42 AM
Senior Moderator

Received 638 Likes on 276 Posts
Nice!! Yea Benson does some great work.
Old 06-22-2003, 02:42 AM
Burning Brakes

I also have to add ..

Thank GOD i didn't get the obx headers... i have absolutely NO RESONANCE.. and the guys who installed my headers said they went in soooo easily ... they complained that the obx's that they've installed in the past had SERIOUS mouting issues that required tons of drilling and they still didn't fit right...
Old 06-22-2003, 02:44 AM
Burning Brakes

Originally posted by Crazy Sellout
Nice!! Yea Benson does some great work.
I was actually two others guys working on my car.. Tony and another guy I didn't catch his name..\

Benson was helping another customer mod his '03 WRX .. pretty nice..

They mentioned that they knew you, Jesal, and John w/ the CL-S
Old 06-22-2003, 08:48 AM
Drifting

when i used to have my gsr, i did it after every mod, and i had no problems. i dont have any proof or evidence, but i've heard it enough to convince me, and it makes sense to me. it's more of a "just to be sure" kinda thing.
Old 06-22-2003, 09:10 AM
Burning Brakes

Originally posted by zigzagzig
when i used to have my gsr, i did it after every mod, and i had no problems. i dont have any proof or evidence, but i've heard it enough to convince me, and it makes sense to me. it's more of a "just to be sure" kinda thing.
Yeah, i'm in the same boat -- ive heard it from a good majority of people who've modded on this site, and I've actually heard it from an Acura master tech who owns a modifies (heavily) a '97 'teg ... he told me it would remap the 02 ... and instead of really giving me more power .. he said it would give me better fuel economy for the particular weather pattern it had adjusted to. I totally feel the power w/o having to have reset the ecu, so I doubt I'll find more power after resetting it.
Old 06-22-2003, 10:48 AM
Burning Brakes

Benson good guy put on exhaust and pulleys, then you will notice the diffrence.
Old 06-22-2003, 01:05 PM
Burning Brakes

Originally posted by johntypes
Benson good guy put on exhaust and pulleys, then you will notice the diffrence.
Will the pulleys mess w/ the engine? I've heard pro's and cons about this ..

How much can I get a CT exhaust for (best deal) from Dean?

John -- is your exhaust really loud?
Old 06-22-2003, 01:40 PM
Suzuka Master

Originally posted by TL_Type_S
he told me it would remap the 02 ... and instead of really giving me more power .. he said it would give me better fuel economy for the particular weather pattern it had adjusted to.
It doesn't actually remap anything. It resets the LTFT and STFT back to 0%. From there is will adjust as needed based on the perceived A/F ratio at idle or cruise. This occurs quickly and would have occurred without resetting the ECU.

I've stated this before, you either understand how the ECU functions, or you do not. If you do then you understand how the fuel delivery amount is calculated and adjusted. There is then no hearsay about it.

Old 06-22-2003, 02:45 PM
Senior Moderator

Received 638 Likes on 276 Posts
Originally posted by TL_Type_S

They mentioned that they knew you, Jesal, and John w/ the CL-S

everyone knows me
Old 06-22-2003, 02:54 PM
Cost Drivers!!!!

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Originally posted by scalbert
It doesn't actually remap anything. It resets the LTFT and STFT back to 0%. From there is will adjust as needed based on the perceived A/F ratio at idle or cruise. This occurs quickly and would have occurred without resetting the ECU.

I've stated this before, you either understand how the ECU functions, or you do not. If you do then you understand how the fuel delivery amount is calculated and adjusted. There is then no hearsay about it.

Scalbert,
I respect your knowledge about cars. However, how do we know what else is going on in the ECU? We know for sure the LTFT and STFT are adjusted because of the ODB2 software which allows one to monitor those settings but how can one know definitively?
Old 06-22-2003, 08:50 PM
Suzuka Master

Originally posted by Zapata
how do we know what else is going on in the ECU? We know for sure the LTFT and STFT are adjusted because of the ODB2 software which allows one to monitor those settings but how can one know definitively?
We do not know for 100% but the OBDII mandate specifies functionality. It does not specify the algorithms to adjust the fuel trim but it does specify that fuel trim must be used. Since fueling is part of emission control, Honda or any other manufacturer must abide by the set standards.

This is how we know, because the federal government defines how it should work and those pertinent values are exposed via a scan tool as mentioned.

As I have said before, there may be credibility to a faster feel when resetting but it has nothing to do with power. In the automatic versions the shift logic may be reset allowing for higher shift points and firmer shifts. This could give the illusion of increased power but would also adjust to the driving habits eventually.
Old 06-22-2003, 10:52 PM
Burning Brakes

Guys.. i haven't reset my ECU yet.. and the car is very noticeably faster... throughout the power band after 3000 rpms .. and for sure after 4800 rpms...

At this point, i have no need to reset my ecu, i like things the way they are.
Old 06-22-2003, 11:09 PM
Shogun Assassin

Received 2 Likes on 1 Post
congrats on the new parts