Just got AEM CAI.. WOW! Now what?

Search this Thread

Old 10-13-2008, 01:08 PM
03CLS6spd-NBP/B

Received 2 Likes on 1 Post
Talking Just got AEM CAI.. WOW! Now what?

Greetings fellow "ziners". Just installed an AEM CAI on my car and I have to say that I can't believe the difference in throttle response, engine "roar" and performance...I love it. My 6SPD NBP has 60K on it and was totally stock. Couple of questions though:
1) Are comptech headers the way to go next, how much are they and how much to install? If not Comptech what is the best brand?
2) If I do install the headers, should I also change the exhaust/cat-back pipe size? If so what size?
3) Being that my car is an '03 and that I don't have fogs on it, would opening up the "faux" fog grille cover help in air flow for the CAI or is this overkill?

One last question/observation about the AEM CAI, it seems that at 80mph in 6th gear my car now runs at 2750 RPM's, whereas with the stock airbox it ran around 3000 RPM's at 80 MPH. Will this equal greater gas mileage on top of the increased performance (minus 7000 rpms shifts )?

As always thanks to the community for such a great website. Peace, Soul and Rock & Roll!
Old 10-13-2008, 01:30 PM
Banned

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Glad you like the CAI. I tried a homemade job but didn't like the added noise. I really didn't feel much improvement in performance so I removed it. I think I came across a thread that said a header is the most bang for the buck mod you can do. Power increases range from 15-30 hp. This would be the next logical step to take after intake. Comptech is the preferred brand but it comes with a huge price tag~ $1000. You can get a set of headers off ebay for about $150 shipped. There are alot of post on this. Just search for headers and you'll find them. I myself will probably go with an ebay set one of these days. Good luck bro. Glad you are enjoying your ride.
Old 10-13-2008, 01:58 PM
03CLS6spd-NBP/B

Thanks BigJack, will do some research and update as I finish the mods. Have a good one!
Old 10-13-2008, 03:11 PM
User Awaiting Email Confirmation

Just search the forum and you will uncover a ton of threads addressing your very questions.

Headers...should be next.

I'm picking up a set of Comptech Headers this week so I will tell you how I like them when I get them installed.

Good luck!
Old 10-13-2008, 03:42 PM
Trolling Canuckistan

Received 811 Likes on 644 Posts
Originally Posted by PSCANLON99
Greetings fellow "ziners". Just installed an AEM CAI on my car and I have to say that I can't believe the difference in throttle response, engine "roar" and performance...I love it. My 6SPD NBP has 60K on it and was totally stock. Couple of questions though:
1) Are comptech headers the way to go next, how much are they and how much to install? If not Comptech what is the best brand?
2) If I do install the headers, should I also change the exhaust/cat-back pipe size? If so what size?
3) Being that my car is an '03 and that I don't have fogs on it, would opening up the "faux" fog grille cover help in air flow for the CAI or is this overkill?

One last question/observation about the AEM CAI, it seems that at 80mph in 6th gear my car now runs at 2750 RPM's, whereas with the stock airbox it ran around 3000 RPM's at 80 MPH. Will this equal greater gas mileage on top of the increased performance (minus 7000 rpms shifts )?

As always thanks to the community for such a great website. Peace, Soul and Rock & Roll!
This makes no sense and must be in your head. To change RPM's at a given speed, you would need to change the gear ratios. To do this you would have to either open up the gearbox and switch out gears or change the size of the wheel. The air intake would have no potential to do either of these.

In regards to the headers, you have 2 choices as a 6 speeder, Comptech ($1000)or XSPower($100). We have a different rear motor mount than the automatic guys and these are the only 2 brands that will clear it.

I am running the XSpower headers (as many of the 2nd gen CL and TL guys have) for close to 2 years and have had no issues at all.

That said, there appears to be a "new" header being offered by XSPower that has 2 flex pipes. The old one only had one flex pipe which is right before the header assembly connects to the cat. I would steer clear of this new header from XSPower as the flex pipe on the old one has been linked to most of the problems people had with it (mostly unwanted resonance that was eliminated by wrapping the headers with exhaust wrap).

So a search for threads with "headers" in the title in the 2nd gen CL forums and you will find more info than you can imagine.
Old 10-13-2008, 05:01 PM
Racer

Received 4 Likes on 4 Posts
How much did you buy the intake from and where? Also are you running a k&n filter?
Old 10-13-2008, 06:05 PM
Former Sponsor

Received 624 Likes on 478 Posts
Comptech makes the best headers on the market. DC has finally begun production again and their headers are second best and now back in stock. If you don't want the CT price tag, check out DC Sports.

Also if anyone needs the AEM CAI check out our webstore at http://store.excelerateperformance.com and use Promo Code AZ AEM for an additional discount.
Old 10-13-2008, 06:18 PM
Three Wheelin'

Received 181 Likes on 164 Posts
Does DC sport make header for 6SPD?
Old 10-13-2008, 08:18 PM
Racer

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts
About opening the vents where the fog lights are, I did it for my CAI, and I think it helped. Check out the link..

https://acurazine.com/forums/showthr...501&highlight=
Old 10-13-2008, 11:23 PM
03CLS6spd-NBP/B

[QUOTE=black label;10084150]This makes no sense and must be in your head. To change RPM's at a given speed, you would need to change the gear ratios. To do this you would have to either open up the gearbox and switch out gears or change the size of the wheel. The air intake would have no potential to do either of these.

I know what you are saying, but it really is running 250 rmps less @ 80 MPH, maybe the stock air filter was nasty, I just got the car 3 mos ago and never looked. I drive 70 miles round trip a day to work, 60 on HWY so I always check. I have been averaging 24 MPG and will update on the new MPG after this week.
Old 10-13-2008, 11:30 PM
03CLS6spd-NBP/B

Originally Posted by ChineseGuyinthe415
"How much did you buy the intake from and where? Also are you running a k&n filter?"
I got it on EBay for $150 delivered. I bought it on a Thursday and got it next day! I missed 2 auctions from this guy AEM_DR for $110 Buy it now (I guess they are part of AEM and move older stock) , this guy was asking for 198 BIN and he accepted my offer, nice guy to deal with (skm410). It was new in package and the chrome version, had the AEM factory oiled filter.
Old 10-13-2008, 11:33 PM
03CLS6spd-NBP/B

Originally Posted by loweredCL
About opening the vents where the fog lights are, I did it for my CAI, and I think it helped. Check out the link..

Hey loweredcl, can you repost the
link? That one was about trunk struts...thanks!
Old 10-14-2008, 09:28 AM
Former Sponsor

Received 624 Likes on 478 Posts
Originally Posted by anthracitecl
Does DC sport make header for 6SPD?
No sorry, only the A/T.
Old 10-14-2008, 12:29 PM
Pro

Dude I love my AEM CAI!!! It sounds like an F1 car when you punch it from 0-60mph
Old 10-14-2008, 03:58 PM
03CLS6spd-NBP/B

Originally Posted by CL-SA
Dude I love my AEM CAI!!! It sounds like an F1 car when you punch it from 0-60mph
Hells yeah! I love the way it sounds when VTEC kicks in and especially the vacuum whoosh sound when you shut the car off. I am very pleased with the product and glad I spent a little extra for the AEM version.
Old 10-14-2008, 05:52 PM
CL6
My only car is a Bus

What does it do about preventing vapor lock vs. stock intake?
Old 10-14-2008, 05:57 PM
03CLS6spd-NBP/B

Originally Posted by CL6
What does it do about preventing vapor lock vs. stock intake?
Hey CL6, don't laugh, but what is vapor lock?
Old 10-14-2008, 05:59 PM
Pro

When you say "vapor lock" do you mean "hydro lock" or are they two totally seperate things? Because for Hydro Lock, theres an attachment that you put on the AEM CAI to prevent that.
Old 10-14-2008, 06:05 PM
Racer

Originally Posted by loweredCL

Hey, Sorry,

I can't find the link but I'll let you know. I took off both inserts (one screw you can reach from the big opening in the middle of the bumper). The venting is in the front, but there is a layer of plastic behind it. All I did is used a table saw and SLOWLY took a little bit of the plastic off at a time until there was only the vents left. There may be other ways to do it, maybe sanding/grinding. My AEM CAI is right behind that vent and now gets all the air as I'm driving! Another idea is putting mesh in the big opening under the bumper. When I did mine, I painted it to match the car, some liked it, some didn't. It's very easy to do, got a piece from home Depot (gutter guard type) and bend it in place. You can see mine on my avatar. Any questions let me know.
Old 10-14-2008, 06:24 PM
Trolling Canuckistan

Hey CL6, don't laugh, but what is vapor lock?
I think he meant hydro lock.

Just don't drive through any deep puddles and you won't find out

Essentially it's when your CAI acts as a giant drinking straw to suck a large amount of water into the engine.

You can get a bypass that will prevent this from happening. I believe you have to cut the intake in half to install it. I went with a Weapon R Secret Weapon SRI to avoid the issue entirely. The risk wasn't worth the reward IMO.

There are very few reports of actual hydro lock but it can happen.
Old 10-14-2008, 06:35 PM
CL6
My only car is a Bus

Yeah I meant Hydro lock. Here in the Bay Area we get a shitload of rain in the winter and i'm concerned about that. I think the Comptech Icebox is considered superior to the CAI, correct?

There was a guy here recently who got hydro lock.
Old 10-14-2008, 08:21 PM
Bye Bye CL!!!

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Originally Posted by CL6
Yeah I meant Hydro lock. Here in the Bay Area we get a shitload of rain in the winter and i'm concerned about that. I think the Comptech Icebox is considered superior to the CAI, correct?

There was a guy here recently who got hydro lock.
that is why companies produce Bypass valves if that is your concern... to the OP, another good bang for your buck is crank pulley, option racing and UR makes them for our cars.
Old 10-14-2008, 09:49 PM
Advanced

so the "new" xs power headers been made?
Old 10-14-2008, 10:14 PM
Trolling Canuckistan

Originally Posted by duCksterz
so the "new" xs power headers been made?
There was a thread a few weeks back regarding XS headers that Fuzzy closed, then reopened b/c the XSpower header link provided showed a header with 2 flex pipes one near the cat and the other was on the towards the front of the engine (I think). From the location of the 2nd flex pipe it looked like a shabby attempt to make a something that doesn't fit properly bend into place.

From the issues others had (I didn't) with the one flex pipe, I don't think I'd buy the one with 2.

edit...
screw it, here's the link to the above mentioned thread.

https://acurazine.com/forums/2g-cl-2001-2003-50/these-xs-headers-689453/
Old 10-14-2008, 10:28 PM
Trolling Canuckistan

For the OP's original question re what next....

Bang for the buck, exhaust work beyond headers is mostly for sound differences. The big gain on a CL-S is the header.

Under drive pulleys are huge as they allow you to put more power that the engine is already making to the road instead of turning heavy parts. From what I know, unorthodox racing is a high quality piece that has proven gains. There is also the Option racing pulley which a few members are using with very similar gains to the Unorthodox pulley at a fraction of the cost, about $30 on eBay.....

http://cgi.ebay.com/ebaymotors/97-02...29#ht_3303wt_0

I intend to get one of those as soon as it looks like I'll be able to drive again.

Neuspeed used to make a short throw adapter for our cars but they are difficult to locate nowadays. There are also some shifter bushings that can be found. Neither of these will give you more power but they have a very pleasing in a tactile kinda way and both mods can be done in under an hour and a half.

Once you've made it go fast, you gotta make it slow fast. Our stock brakes suck, you can upgrade to a Rotora slotted set with H2 ceramic pads for about $500 or you can go all out and do a BBK but you will also need new wheels to accommodate the larger brake complex.

Now all you need is a nice set of coil overs and you're good to go.

Last edited by black label; 10-14-2008 at 10:31 PM.
Old 10-15-2008, 11:24 AM
03CLS6spd-NBP/B

Originally Posted by black label

Bang for the buck, exhaust work beyond headers is mostly for sound differences. The big gain on a CL-S is the header.

Under drive pulleys are huge as they allow you to put more power that the engine is already making to the road instead of turning heavy parts. From what I know, unorthodox racing is a high quality piece that has proven gains. There is also the Option racing pulley which a few members are using with very similar gains to the Unorthodox pulley at a fraction of the cost, about $30 on eBay.....

I intend to get one of those as soon as it looks like I'll be able to drive again.

Neuspeed used to make a short throw adapter for our cars but they are difficult to locate nowadays. There are also some shifter bushings that can be found. Neither of these will give you more power but they have a very pleasing in a tactile kinda way and both mods can be done in under an hour and a half.

Once you've made it go fast, you gotta make it slow fast. Our stock brakes suck, you can upgrade to a Rotora slotted set with H2 ceramic pads for about $500 or you can go all out and do a BBK but you will also need new wheels to accommodate the larger brake complex.

Hey Black Label, thank you so much for the input. I'm hittin the Bay right now to see what I can find. I will update via post. Peace!
Old 10-15-2008, 11:29 AM
03CLS6spd-NBP/B

Originally Posted by black label

Black Label...what are coil covers and what do they do? Also I found these drilled and slotted rotors and ceramic brakes on ebay...what do you think? $199 delivered..OEM size though
http://cgi.ebay.com/ebaymotors/00-03...261#ht_980wt_0
Old 10-15-2008, 01:51 PM
Advanced

coil overs= set of shocks+springs
they make the car lower and help with the handling.

i see ppl getting camber kits or ingalls arms with these.
Old 10-15-2008, 07:33 PM
Trolling Canuckistan

Black Label...what are coil covers and what do they do? Also I found these drilled and slotted rotors and ceramic brakes on ebay...what do you think? $199 delivered..OEM size though
http://cgi.ebay.com/ebaymotors/00-03...261#ht_980wt_0
The price seems very good but I know nothing of the company. I went with the Rotoras because many other members had used them and seemed to have good experiences. Picking a pad was a little more difficult, I wanted to find a balance between longevity, low dust, and strong braking ability. After reading peoples comments on the options, I went with the Rotora H2 pads.

As for the coil overs, they replace the suspension with new spring/strut combo that has an adjustable collar which allows for some adjustment to ride height. You can go with a small drop or slam it to the ground. If you do lower the car dramatically, you will need a camber kit as well to keep from ruining tires.

Most of what I know about modding a CL-S came from these very forums. The information is here, you just have to hunt for it a little.
Old 10-17-2008, 12:02 AM
Intermediate

I recently installed an AEM CAI, CT headers, and Greddy catback on a customers 03 6MT with 8k miles on it....57 y/o guy was smiling ear to ear as the tires spun into 3rd gear

Megan Racing is even making headers for the V6 now
Old 10-20-2008, 10:41 AM
Registered Abuser

Question Option RAcing Crank Pulley

I was seeing if anyone has it installed on their car right now that can give a feedback on it. Ive seen a few of you guys mention you had it on, but any noticeable gains on a stock car?