just drove my friends Catera

Search this Thread

Old 07-06-2001 | 04:27 PM
nItIn

just drove my friends Catera

and I've gotta say .. man that thing had some punch. I'm scared to take one on on the freeway ...

ok, so my car has been in the shop for the last few weeks (since that unfortunate incident), and I might just be over reacting cuz Ive forgetting how it feels to drive a real car ... but I felt a lot more power under this thing than I remember feeling under my CL??

and i thought the Catera's were the low end of the new Caddy's ... I cant imagine what some of the upper end Caddy's would perform like
Old 07-06-2001 | 04:50 PM
Pro

dude, check this info on the 2001 Cadillac Catera 4dr Sedan (3.0L 6cyl 4A), keep in mind that it goes for around $30,000
!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!
Cadillac was the first domestic luxury automaker to attack the entry-level market head-on with the introduction of the Catera. After its first full year on the market, Catera rolled up sales of 25,411 units, making it the most successful launch of an entry-luxury model in U.S. history to date. Based on the European-market Opel Omega MV6, the Catera features a 200-horsepower, 3.0-liter DOHC V6 engine mated to a four-speed automatic transmission and rear-wheel drive. Built in Russelsheim, Germany, the Catera is touted by Cadillac as a blend of the best of German and American engineering.

Alas, Cadillac encountered a number of stumbling blocks after the Catera's launch. First-year cars suffered serious electrical problems. An attempt to install standard side airbags in 1998 was a complete failure: thousands of Cateras sat in the dockyard for months waiting to have the flawed systems removed before finding their way to dealerships. In 1999, imports didn't begin until six months into the new model year when a redesigned fuel tank was deemed problematic. And last year wasn't any better when problems at the factory forced the delay of the 2000 version. Furthermore, despite rear-wheel drive and a powerful engine, Catera didn't appeal to enthusiast drivers who wanted a manual transmission.

After tidying up the design and fine-tuning the suspension last year, Cadillac continues attempts to remove the tarnish from the Catera nameplate by adding vented rear disc brakes, OnStar's new version 2.6 and a Solar Protect windshield to the Catera and Catera Sport.

Outside, the Catera's sheetmetal remains unchanged; The Catera Sport's cabin has been tweaked this year, downgrading the 10-way power driver's seat to an eight-way power seat that mirrors that of the passenger.
!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!
here are the #'s

Performance Data
Acceleration (0-60 mph): 8.3 sec.
Braking Distance (60-0 mph): 130 ft.
Roadholding Index: NA
Base Number of Cylinders: 6
Base Engine Size: 3 liters
Base Engine Type: V6
Horsepower: 200 hp @ 6000 rpm
Torque: 192 ft-lbs. @ 3600 rpm
Drive Type: RWD
Old 07-06-2001 | 04:53 PM
nItIn

Originally posted by Dyno_CL-S:
<STRONG>Performance Data
Acceleration (0-60 mph): 8.3 sec.
Braking Distance (60-0 mph): 130 ft.
Roadholding Index: NA
Base Number of Cylinders: 6
Base Engine Size: 3 liters
Base Engine Type: V6
Horsepower: 200 hp @ 6000 rpm
Torque: 192 ft-lbs. @ 3600 rpm
Drive Type: RWD</STRONG>
lol for real? haha ok, I must be going through serious withdrawal symptoms then .. it has been 3 weeks since I last drove my baby and I wont have it for another week

how about the upper end Caddy's ? anyone ever driven/smoked/been smoked by one?
Old 07-06-2001 | 04:53 PM
Banned

It's an Intrigue with more luxury....it's their new 3.2L DOHC v6....supposed to make the same power as the 3800 series II pushrods, but in a smaller and lighter package.
Originally posted by nabster:
<STRONG>and I've gotta say .. man that thing had some punch. I'm scared to take one on on the freeway ...

ok, so my car has been in the shop for the last few weeks (since that unfortunate incident), and I might just be over reacting cuz Ive forgetting how it feels to drive a real car ... but I felt a lot more power under this thing than I remember feeling under my CL??

and i thought the Catera's were the low end of the new Caddy's ... I cant imagine what some of the upper end Caddy's would perform like</STRONG>
Old 07-06-2001 | 05:00 PM
Banned

I KNOW that the stock CLS is faster than the stock Catera since the Catera comes with a 200hp 192lbs torque V6. The fact that the car is rear wheel drive might have something to do with your 'feeling' that its got a push.
Old 07-06-2001 | 05:04 PM
Banned

No I think the fact that the troque comes in low and early is what gives you the sensation of speed....hell..if you drive an unloaded SUV....they feel quick....but they aren't.
Originally posted by M3Sins:
<STRONG>I KNOW that the stock CLS is faster than the stock Catera since the Catera comes with a 200hp 192lbs torque V6. The fact that the car is rear wheel drive might have something to do with your 'feeling' that its got a push.</STRONG>
Old 07-06-2001 | 06:27 PM
Racer

Originally posted by moomaster_99:
<STRONG>It's an Intrigue with more luxury....it's their new 3.2L DOHC v6....supposed to make the same power as the 3800 series II pushrods, but in a smaller and lighter package. </STRONG>
WHAT?! The engine aint new....it was taken from the Opel man...and it aint as powerfull as the 3.8....i think ur thinkin about the 3.5 in the intrigue....and the catera is not based on the intrigue
Old 07-09-2001 | 05:02 AM
Intermediate

Before I bought my CL-S I went to the Cadi dealership and test drove a used 1999 STS....man let me tell you that is one impressive car. The car has the 300hp Northstar engine in there and it is a screamer. If you shif from 1st to 2nd manually you will get a hard shift that is accompanyed by tire marks and a loud squal. This is a car that weighs almost 2 tons and is 4 doors and is nothing bt nice. Also this thing has some top end...I had the one that I drove doing about 145mph and there was still pedal left and it was still picking up. The one that I drove had all the buttons and was just so nice. If I had the money I would be driveing one right now. My mom has the Deville with the 275 Hp Northstar engine in it and it hauls ass also...but not like the STS. I highly recommend going for a test drive if you get the chance and by all means do it by yourself. Just my opnion.....

Originally posted by nabster:
<STRONG>

how about the upper end Caddy's ? anyone ever driven/smoked/been smoked by one?</STRONG>