JENS: Engine Light on :(

Search this Thread

Old 10-31-2003, 12:57 PM
Senior Moderator

Received 48 Likes on 33 Posts
Originally posted by Jens H.
If your oil level is too low the VTEC gear may fail to work setting a fault code .WHy is it so low??????

Jens
well i have that 3.5L i drive the shit out of it and i dont think doug ever fully resolved his ring issue...i add about 1-2 qt.s every 4-6 months between changes
Old 10-31-2003, 12:58 PM
Senior Moderator

Received 48 Likes on 33 Posts
Originally posted by allmotor_2000
You mentioned low oil before... this motor should not burn more than 1/2 quart every 5K miles. I suggest you do a leakdown test if you could.
how do i do that
?...BTW im about a quart every 5K,and a few minutes after adding oil the light went out...
Old 10-31-2003, 03:31 PM
retired

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts
Zapata refill the coolant and run the engine see if you can spot a leak .If it is indeed leaking than have the local guys look it over .I really do appreciate the loyalty but don't blow the car up .Scrib is completely correct on this .

Jens
Old 10-31-2003, 03:40 PM
retired

TypeR

Leakdown test .Essentially what this means is as follows .The engine is ratated by hand so that piston number one is at TDC (top dead center) on the compression stroke (valvess closed) .The spark plug is removed and high pressure air is fed into the cylinder using the same hose that would be used for a compression test .However a leakdown tester is attached to the hose instead of the pressure gauge .The leakdown tester has the high pressure hose from the aircompressor attached to it .After high pressure air is admitted to the cylinder the leak down tester gives a readin via a gauge on it's face as to how much air is leaking out of the combustion chamber .It is indicated in percents .10 percent is about the limit anything more and there are issues to be dealt with .
To give a raw idea of what part of the cylinder is having compressin loss the following is done .
A cigarette light or better yet a lit cigarette is held by the tailpipe .if air escaping past the exhaust valves blows the smoke from the cigarette we know the exhaust valves are having sealing issues .Next the intake butterfly is exposed (throtle body) ,the same test is done again with a lit cigarette .If the smoke moves we know we have potential intake valve problems .Next the oil cap is removed and you now must listen to the way the interior of the engine sounds .It sounds crazy but usually if the rings are shot you can hear the air rushing out of the oil filler hole .You can also use the cigarette trick here .if the smoke moves you know the rings are an issue .
Each cylinder must be tested this way however if you find one that is bad and you can tell where the problem most likely lies just go ahead and start knocking the engine apart .
This no doubt sounds like a captain caveman approach to auto repair but trust me it works .

Jens
Old 10-31-2003, 03:47 PM
Suzuka Master

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Old 10-31-2003, 03:52 PM
Safety Car

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
TypeR

Leakdown test .Essentially what this means is as follows .The engine is ratated by hand so that piston number one is at TDC (top dead center) on the compression stroke (valvess closed) .The spark plug is removed and high pressure air is fed into the cylinder using the same hose that would be used for a compression test .However a leakdown tester is attached to the hose instead of the pressure gauge .The leakdown tester has the high pressure hose from the aircompressor attached to it .After high pressure air is admitted to the cylinder the leak down tester gives a readin via a gauge on it's face as to how much air is leaking out of the combustion chamber .It is indicated in percents .10 percent is about the limit anything more and there are issues to be dealt with .
To give a raw idea of what part of the cylinder is having compressin loss the following is done .
A cigarette light or better yet a lit cigarette is held by the tailpipe .if air escaping past the exhaust valves blows the smoke from the cigarette we know the exhaust valves are having sealing issues .Next the intake butterfly is exposed (throtle body) ,the same test is done again with a lit cigarette .If the smoke moves we know we have potential intake valve problems .Next the oil cap is removed and you now must listen to the way the interior of the engine sounds .It sounds crazy but usually if the rings are shot you can hear the air rushing out of the oil filler hole .You can also use the cigarette trick here .if the smoke moves you know the rings are an issue .
Each cylinder must be tested this way however if you find one that is bad and you can tell where the problem most likely lies just go ahead and start knocking the engine apart .
This no doubt sounds like a captain caveman approach to auto repair but trust me it works .

Jens
Jens... I think you also need to elaborate on how to detect rod-knock!
Old 10-31-2003, 03:58 PM
Cost Drivers!!!!

jens,
thanks for all the help. I've made the appointment for tomorrow morning. I'll fill it up and see how it goes. Hopefully, won't have any issues. I agree, you guys are great but after driving less than 5 miles and watching the temp needle rise and fall, i don' think a 2 hour trip would be too smart.
Old 10-31-2003, 04:11 PM
retired

Rod knock ,oh yeah now I remember .Listen for the noise it will be a medium knock type sound about the same as a hammer striking a table top .Now one at a time (not electrocuting yourself in the process) disconnect one spark plug wire at a time (or coil pack) .See if the noise lessens ,when it does you found the offending conrod .Main bearing noise is about the same test by the way .

Jens
Old 10-31-2003, 06:28 PM
Safety Car

Hehe... I thought you'd discuss the stethescope!
Old 10-31-2003, 06:37 PM
retired

Nah i busted the last stethoscope I had years ago .I got this great screwdriver works just as well .

Jens
Old 10-31-2003, 06:52 PM
///M POWER

damn type R your 3.5 really likes that oil...
Old 10-31-2003, 09:09 PM

Zapata, I had a similar problem of coolant consumption and noticed that coolant was spattering around the transmision area. This all happened after I installed my supercharger. My reservoir kept going empty also. I finally decided to change the hose clamps on the radiator hose, this solved my coolant lose and heating system problem, might be worht telling the techs. The stock clamps are good until you've spread them a couple of times. I've noticed that the coolant tends to leak back along the hose, then drips off at the lowest point onto the motor mout area.
Old 11-01-2003, 04:31 AM
Cost Drivers!!!!

chemmech,
hmmmmm, welp its possible that something wasn't re-connected correctly when the ice box was installed but it has been quite sometime since that was done. Did your leak issue happen right away? Other than the coolant line to the ice box i really haven't touched anything in the engine compartment. Welp, hopefully i'll have an answer soon. thanks!!
Old 11-01-2003, 05:22 AM
an adult perspective

Received 26 Likes on 24 Posts
yeah, that was over 6 months ago ... unless something has come off or otherwise been tampered with, you'd think it would've appeared before now if it was install related
Old 11-01-2003, 07:06 AM
Cost Drivers!!!!

Originally posted by Y2K3CL-S
yeah, that was over 6 months ago ... unless something has come off or otherwise been tampered with, you'd think it would've appeared before now if it was install related

yea exactly. Nope, the PA/NJ crew is top notch!! Complete faith

anyway, i dropped the car off and they gave me a 5AT white TSX. I'll post my impressions in a few days. Might not get the car back till tuesday.
Old 11-01-2003, 07:44 AM

I think the only reason why my hose was not being secured by the clamp was that the clamp had worn out or lost its tension, due to opening and closing it to get the new hose on. To be honest with you, I don't think those calmps are very good, I replaced them with the traditional screwdriver tightened type. Also, over time, maybe the heat under the hood can cause them to loose their tension? Just a guess, I'm not a metallurgist. Yep my leak was right away, but its possible that if you took the hose off once that the clamp didn't completely reseal the hose. Any antifreeze stuck between the hose and hose housing will act as a lubricant if the clamp isn't tight enough to force it out, thus causing a possible leak. I'm just rambling at this point, ok I'll stop. I don't think those oem hose clamps should be considered reusable.
Old 11-01-2003, 07:50 AM
Cost Drivers!!!!

Originally posted by Chemmech
I think the only reason why my hose was not being secured by the clamp was that the clamp had worn out or lost its tension, due to opening and closing it to get the new hose on. To be honest with you, I don't think those calmps are very good, I replaced them with the traditional screwdriver tightened type. Also, over time, maybe the heat under the hood can cause them to loose their tension? Just a guess, I'm not a metallurgist. Yep my leak was right away, but its possible that if you took the hose off once that the clamp didn't completely reseal it. Any antifreeze stuck between the hose and hose housing will act as a lubricant if the clamp isn't tight enough to force it out, thus causing a possible leak. I'm just rambling at this point, ok I'll stop.

no no continue yer right i was looking at those clamps and they aren't the best. Welp the car is at the dealer hopefully they'll be good to the car.
Old 11-01-2003, 07:52 AM

If I'm right about the cheap clamps, they'll know to replace them.
Old 11-01-2003, 08:57 AM
retired

To be honest I much preffer the spring type clamps as opposed to the screw variety .The reason for this is that the screw type clamps (coomon parts store variety not the aircraft grade) have a tendency to be overtightened damaging the hose it is being used on .If in good condition these spring clamps will last the life of the car always maintaining even tension over the entire circumference of the hose without cutting the hose in the process.

Jens
Old 11-01-2003, 10:02 AM

I think my comptech silicon radiator hose may have a larger outside diameter than the original hose. It seems to be wraped in some sort of insulating tape.
Old 11-01-2003, 10:20 AM
retired

The Comptech hoses are actually made up of this silicone tape that is then fused .That is why it looks as though it were in fact wrapped with tape .

Jens
Old 11-01-2003, 10:23 AM

Is this done to protect the hose from heat? Aren't spark plug wires made of silicon also?
Old 11-01-2003, 12:27 PM
Cost Drivers!!!!

verdict is in......

a rock through the radiator. I assume there is no way to fix this? Bill is going to be close to $500. Too expensive? Car won't be ready for a few days.
Old 11-01-2003, 12:41 PM
But I just got here

Received 53 Likes on 35 Posts
Originally posted by Zapata
verdict is in......

a rock through the radiator. I assume there is no way to fix this? Bill is going to be close to $500. Too expensive? Car won't be ready for a few days.

That sucks. Do you have any kind of grill, like the gutter guard one, on your car? I wonder if that could help prevent rocks from hitting the radiator?
Old 11-01-2003, 12:49 PM
Cost Drivers!!!!

Originally posted by Nitin
That sucks. Do you have any kind of grill, like the gutter guard one, on your car? I wonder if that could help prevent rocks from hitting the radiator?
nitin,
going to do this now for sure. Get some black colored chit.
Old 11-01-2003, 06:12 PM
Suzuka Master

To be honest I much preffer the spring type clamps as opposed to the screw variety .
I did a system years ago for Tridon Automotive (OEM supplier of various parts) which did a signature analysis of every spring clamp they made. Each was compressed and the load versus displacement was made and referenced against a standard. There was a part being tested every 2 seconds.

But boy did it hurt some when we were tuning the system. I got nailed by a few loose clamps. And once I thought I needed stitches. :o
Old 11-01-2003, 06:17 PM
retired

Oh man Scalbert believe me I have managed to get nailed a few times by these spring clamps ,you can always tell when one of these little f#ckers let's go at an inopportune moment .The cussing is unbelievable .

Jens
Old 11-02-2003, 08:23 AM
Safety Car

Hmm... wonder what can go in front of the radiator to protect it
Old 11-02-2003, 08:51 AM
retired

Zapata ,the radiator is a plastic/aluminium unit repairing it would require a miracle .

Chemmech ,the hoses are made of silicone partially for heat but also because the tape buildup method allows for an economical way to make a low production run hose like this one .

Allmotor ,plain old gutter guard will probably be best .You want to avoid to tight mesh as even a mesh grille restricts airflow and this in turn adds more stress to the cooling system in a car .

Jens
Old 11-02-2003, 08:52 AM
Cost Drivers!!!!

Originally posted by allmotor_2000
Hmm... wonder what can go in front of the radiator to protect it

ugh yea....if only....
Old 11-02-2003, 08:59 AM
Cost Drivers!!!!

Zapata ,the radiator is a plastic/aluminium unit repairing it would require a miracle .

Chemmech ,the hoses are made of silicone partially for heat but also because the tape buildup method allows for an economical way to make a low production run hose like this one .

Allmotor ,plain old gutter guard will probably be best .You want to avoid to tight mesh as even a mesh grille restricts airflow and this in turn adds more stress to the cooling system in a car .

Jens
jens,
that's what i figured just one of those things i guess Thanks alot for your help!
Old 11-02-2003, 12:04 PM
Spectacular Aroma About

Originally posted by Zapata
verdict is in......

Zapata,

I'm wondering how a rock got to the radiator without damaging anything else. The A/C condensor covers the whole area in front of it. THere is also tubing for the oil cooler on the lower part. Did they show you where a rock hit it? Seems like there would be a lot of other things damaged if a rock actually went through the radiator.