I've had it, how much is a 2001 CLS worth on trade in?

Search this Thread

Old 01-19-2002, 10:17 PM
Instructor

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
I've had it, how much is a 2001 CLS worth on trade in?

First off I've loved this car since day one when I bought it in April of 2001. Found HA.NET then joined Soopa on the last two incarnations of this forum. I've babied and pampered this thing so much so I drove my wife nuts. She's convinced I've got OCD. I even talked my friend into buying one. However it's been nothing but trouble and I just have to give up.

First it was a little oil leak that put it in the shop for a couple of days. Actually found on a routine maintainence. Then the check engine light came on 2-3 months later. Low and behold, another oil leak. They tell me couple days but 4 weeks go by and they discover not one but TWO leaks. Having lost a little faith I decide to renew my vigor and take a trip down to LA. Half way down rear left speaker goes buzzy and starts to crap out. TONIGHT, the damn check engine light goes on again. Don't care if its a false alarm, I've had it. Only 13,000 miles and I've brought the care in more times than my 10 year old Stealth and my wifes 5 year old 240sx combined.

So what is a 2001 Silver CLS with only 13000 miles worth? I'm thinking SLK 32 AMG. At least I'll be expecting it to be in the shop.
Old 01-19-2002, 10:28 PM
Team Owner

Are you sure you’re tightening the gas cap good enough.
I’ve heard this can cause the check engine light to come on periodically.
I make sure to get a few “clicks” whenever I fill up.

How loud do you listen to the stereo? Stock speakers are easily blown in many cars.
As for the oil leaks….don’t know.

Doesn’t sound like enough problems to trade the car in.

Shawn S
Old 01-19-2002, 10:40 PM
At least it's not Jersey

I've had the stock system up all the way with some pretty good bass tunes playing and haven't had a problem. I've blown stock speakers in all my previous cars but these have held up great! I think Andy's got one of those "Monday-built" cars.
Old 01-19-2002, 10:54 PM
Instructor

Edit to the above: that should be April 2000. So 13k miles in 2 years.

Shawn,

Nothing loud at all. I'm getting too old to be cranking up the stereo. It's just that things just keep happening. 13k miles over 2 years is just not a lot of miles and I'm afraid of what may happen in the years to come. Want to jump ship before tranny and everything else goes. Trade in before the value goes Enron on me.

Neech,

I think I got one of those start on Friday at 4:30 before a long weekend and start back up on a Tuesday car.

Andy
Old 01-19-2002, 11:26 PM
The Screeching Toyo's

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts
WOW, sorry to hear that you are fed up. I have had my CL-S since July 19th and I have 17,000 miles on it already!! Not a single problem. The sunroof is just starting to squeak, but I know there is a service alert for it. I had my 15,000 mile check up done last weekend, and nothing was wrong. I drive my car HARD too!!!! I am really sorry to hear that you are unhappy with your CL. Maybe you will trade it in and get a car that will last you 200,000 miles without a single problem. Good luck.
Old 01-19-2002, 11:37 PM
Instructor

Not looking for 200k without a problem. Just not 3 major oil leaks and over a month in the shop for a 2 year old car. Speakers going out and rattles I understand. But engine problems make me uncomfortable. I also think I'm starting to feel the transmission shutter on the 2-3 shift. Oh well. Maybe they perfected things for the 2002 models. I hope so because I really liked this car.
Old 01-20-2002, 01:07 AM
Senior Moderator

Received 388 Likes on 196 Posts
Your maint req. light automatically comes on every 6500 mi. or so.
Old 01-20-2002, 02:11 AM
Instructor

yeah, been there done that. Unfortunately this is also my second time with the check engine light. So I know it means something bad.
Old 01-20-2002, 07:30 AM
www.drippinwet.com

Originally posted by Shawn S
Are you sure you’re tightening the gas cap good enough.
I’ve heard this can cause the check engine light to come on periodically.
I make sure to get a few “clicks” whenever I fill up.

yes it can, also filling up while the engine is running can also cause it to come on
Old 01-20-2002, 09:34 AM
foe
Racer

Since you went in to fix the oil problem 3 times dont they have to buy it back under lemon law?
Old 01-20-2002, 10:33 AM

Sounds like a child that didn't get what they wanted for christmas.

First off, you'd be a FOOL to trade the car in. They'd give you $23K tops.

From a financial standpoint, you obviously haven't examined the losses incurred from a new car. It would make more sense to keep it, and get your moneys worth out of it, then to trade now and lose money.

Its called the Time Value of Money, look it up.

Secondly, EVERYTHING MECHANICAL has a high probability of breaking. You think A mercedes SLK is going to give you less trouble?
Its a rich mans girlfriends car, and a CHEAP mercedes to boot. A Ford Mustang with Mercedes emblems, (FORD owns MB in case you didn't know this either).

Your car is covered under warranty, if anything goes wrong Acura eats the cost, that should make you feel good.

Judging by your other cars, this Acura seems like the best vehicle you own, and a SLK 230 is a downgrade in my opinion.

Unless you're a millionaire, you'd be taking a bath by trading it in.

You picked it, so suck it up and live with it. My rotor have gone bad, but, its a car, its not GUARANTEED to NEVER break AT ALL, and who's to say a Mercedes will give you less problems?

BTW, SLKS are shiat. If you're gonna get a BENZ, do it right, and get the new E Class.

Think before you post something so childish next time.
Old 01-20-2002, 11:47 AM
Grand Turismo

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Lemon Law

Yes, they do... If you have documented proof that there was a problem. Under the Lemon Law(s) 3 times is it.

Have them buy it back now.
Old 01-20-2002, 12:47 PM
The Screeching Toyo's

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts
Originally posted by TypeSKid
Its a rich mans girlfriends car, and a CHEAP mercedes to boot. A Ford Mustang with Mercedes emblems, (FORD owns MB in case you didn't know this either).
CHRYSLER owns MBZ!!!!! You talk shit and you don't have your facts straight!!! Now who is the FOOL??????? Take it easy on the guy, he is pissed. I don't blame him. No need to call him childish.
Old 01-20-2002, 01:04 PM
Banned

Sounds like a child that didn't get what they wanted for christmas.

Secondly, EVERYTHING MECHANICAL has a high probability of breaking. You think A mercedes SLK is going to give you less trouble?

Wow! Another stupid kid in a hot car... Hey Smartguy, Mercedes owns DaimlerChrysler... Ford has nothing to do with MB. He got a lemon... these things happen. My dad had a nasty experience with an Audi 5000s Turbo in the 80's... hence my intense hatred of Audi. I'd take a Pontiac (or any other GM product) over an Audi. Get a clue. Finish high school then maybe you'll get an ounce of respect from somebody.
Old 01-20-2002, 06:20 PM
Race Director

Received 4 Likes on 4 Posts
Sounds like a child that didn't get what they wanted for christmas. First off, you'd be a FOOL to trade the car in. They'd give you $23K tops. From a financial standpoint, you obviously haven't examined the losses incurred from a new car. It would make more sense to keep it, and get your moneys worth out of it, then to trade now and lose money.
Its called the Time Value of Money, look it up.
Your car is covered under warranty, if anything goes wrong Acura eats the cost, that should make you feel good.
Judging by your other cars, this Acura seems like the best vehicle you own, and a SLK 230 is a downgrade in my opinion.
Unless you're a millionaire, you'd be taking a bath by trading it in.
You picked it, so suck it up and live with it. My rotor have gone bad, but, its a car, its not GUARANTEED to NEVER break AT ALL, and who's to say a Mercedes will give you less problems?
BTW, SLKS are shiat. If you're gonna get a BENZ, do it right, and get the new E Class.
Think before you post something so childish next time.
Jesus kid lighten up on the guy. If you bothered to read and actually understand what he's talking about he said he'd consider a SLK 32 AMG. Big difference between that an the 230, not to mention the CL-S. Also he already stated that HE KNOWS that mercedes cars are prone to breaking down.

Your opinion or not, at least make some sense when you respond.
Old 01-20-2002, 08:13 PM
Instructor

TypeSKid,

Before you rant maybe YOU should think about what you're saying. Ford? Bwaahhaaaa. Get YOUR facts straight. Grow up dude.

Congrats on what you just learned in your ECON class but you're asking me to keep getting assed raped by my POS car. You want me to keep wasting my time and money on this car for a couple thousand? I'd be lucky to get $23k for this car now. Add in what I already feel is a tranny on the go and my limit has been reached. My confidence in a car and my free time is gold to me. I'd rather piss the money down the drain than have to worry about another oil leak that would leave my wife or me stranded on the road. It's called Peace of Mind. Look that up. Plus after all these problems my conscience just won't let me look someone in the eye and sell it to them. I'll let the dealer fix it and deal with it.

You buy a Ferrari and you expect it to break down. You buy an Acura and you're supposed to be able to rely on it. Well my Acura has failed me. If your car is working perfectly then congratulations. The CLS is a great car. But mine sucks ass. I'm may not be a millionaire but thank god I'm now fortunate enough not to have to be held hostage by a low trade in value. Acura may be eating the costs but I think I'm losing something much more valuable.

BTW, the only thing you got right in your response was that I'd be buying the SLK 32 AMG (not the 230 hotshot) for my wife. I'd rather drive my 10 year old Stealth and her 240sx than put up with this.
Old 01-21-2002, 08:30 AM
hater

Hey, guys! I'm a fucking dumbass!
That's strange. I put the contents of your original post through my Little Orphan Annie Secret Decoder and that's what came back...

:pfawk:
Old 01-21-2002, 10:06 AM
Happy CL-S Pilot

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
I had a major engine oil leak with just 3000 miles. Check engine came on. The Problem was a deafact in the casting of the lower engine block.

The Car was in shop for 6 weeks. Engine block replaced or better let us say the engine has been rebuilt.

No more oil leaks what so ever.

I advice you to go to a competent Acura Dealer who is able to build engines... Your dealer seems worth a shit...

Good luck.
Old 01-21-2002, 10:39 AM

Ok, so I was still asleep when I was typing most of my last post.

So basically, an SLK is nothing but a Sebring Convertible.

At any rate, my dads friend has an oil leak (several times) with his corvette, wrote the CEO of GM a letter, and was issued a new car.

I think alot of us are unhappy sometimes with the decision we made to purchase the Type S. Shit, I'm mad as hell about how they tried to fuck me over on the rotors.

But it seems that you should be asking more of Acura if you've had the same problems repeatedly, and they still haven't been solved.

I didn't mean to start any flames, just my 2 cents!