interesting review of 2003 6-speed CL-S

Search this Thread

Old 02-04-2003, 03:21 PM
Banned

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
interesting review of 2003 6-speed CL-S

i found this detailed, interesting review of the CL-S 6-speed done by the owner of an RSX-S... very well written review..

my question is, is the 6 speed CL-S clutch really that light?? does it really have THAT high of an engagement point?? hearing that makes me glad i never bothered considering it....talk about ankle and calf cramps!!!

A word about this review. First, it is rather long. Second, rather than just simply list point/ counterpoint comparisons, I relay my experience of the entire test drive as I recall the events. Hopefully this will make for a more enjoyable read, and will allow the reader to immerse themselves in what I experienced.

For those that want 'just the facts' I did place a summary at the end of the text.

CL-S 6speed review

I left work early to go and test drive the CL-S six speed manual today.

He says 'hello,' and asks 'how I can help you?'

I simply point to the CL and say, 'I want to test drive that!'

The first thing I notice are the seats. In type s trim, the seats are deeply bolstered giving excellent support for both shoulders and thighs, much like the RSX type s. I also notice that the CL type s seats are better padded in the rump support area, which allows them to conform to the body in a custom fitting fashion, yet they remain quite supportive. I think I can easily handle a 6 hour trip in this seat.

The second thing I notice behind the wheel, is the seating position. It is quite upright. Some of that can be taken care of with the 8 way power adjustment, but I am not able to settle on a comfortable height. At first I thought the motor might have been broken, or perhaps the seat cannot be adjusted until one starts the ignition, but I am disappointed to find that the seat was positioned as low as the adjustment would allow. Though the RSX type s is often maligned for its high seating position, it is better than the CL type s in this particular area.

Next I test the stroke of the clutch before starting the car. Damn, I find my second disappointment. The clutch travel is longer than that of the RSX type s by (and I use my 'leg extension' dyno here) roughly 1 to 1 1/2 inch. This is not a desirable trait for a performance oriented car. The short, quick stroke of the RSX type s is spot on for my driving style, by comparison the CL type s feels like a pickup truck.

The clutch is also extremely light. Again, consulting my 'leg extension dyno' I estimate the CL type s clutch takes at least 1/3 LESS force to depress than the RSX type s. Once more, this is not a desirable trait for a performance trimmed car.

I depress the clutch and pop the shifter out of gear. The leather shift knob feels great in my hand, yet I must admit I still prefer the aluminum knob in my RSX type s. Like the RSX type s the CL type s 6speed uses a cable linkage. This makes for an incredibly similar feeling between the two cars. The shift lever in the CL type s appears longer than that of the RSX type s, yet the shift throws feel nearly identical. That is both cars have short, precise shifting. The gear pattern is *identical* to the RSX type s: Straight back for 1>2, straight up with the heel of the palm, allowing the stick to center itself coming out of 2nd, and clicking into 3rd. Straight back again for 4th, then a diagonal move to 5th. Sixth gear is right where I expect it to be, back and just to the right of 5th. I smile when I notice that I can anchor my elbow on the armrest and my hand falls right on top of the centered shifter. Acura has this exactly right.

After adjusting the mirrors, I depress the clutch again and fire up the 3.2 liter VTEC power plant. It is buttery smooth. I put the car in gear and start to ease off the lot. Damn this light clutch! It also has an extremely high engagement point. My knee nearly bumps the steering wheel by the time I lift my foot from the pedal. I turn out of the dealer parking lot and head up the little two lane road, just taking it easy to get the feel of the car. The steering wheel feels nice, the perforated leather wrap at the 9 and 3 positions is a nice touch, and keeps the hands from getting too sweaty. The four spoke wheel is shared with the other cars in the TL/CL line, even the base models, and this might account for the fact that the wheel is a bit skinny. Come on Acura! Give us another half inch in diameter. Alright, I'll just say it. Put the damn RSX type S wheel in the CL type s, please!!!! That aside steering effort is about on par with a stock rsx type s. I have bridgestone potenza S03 tires on my car so my steering effort is greater due to the stiffer sidewall, yet even on the stock POS michelin all season tires, the CL type s does feel more precise than I expected. I think it must be the 17 inch wheels and the 50 series tires which explain for this.

I make a right on to the highway the runs in front the dealer, and head out of town. The CL V6 makes a barely audible purr. There is zero wind noise, nor is there any tire noise to speak of at 70 mph. I must say I do not miss the drone of the RSX type s at this speed. The RSX type is much quieter than my previous GSR, but this, this is the sound of silence. We cruise for a few miles, and shoot the breeze about cars. The salesmen is telling me about is 67 (I think he said 67) Chevelle convertible. He shows me pictures (after the drive) beautiful car. I keep wondering when he will try to 'close' me, but he never does.

He suggests making a U turn at the next left, and encourages me to let the oncoming traffic by so I can check out the power under hard acceleration. I cut the wheel, and wait on the traffic. Waiting....Waiting...the last car goes by, I have a clear lane, waiting.....the last car drops off down the hill. I make the turn and point the CL parallel with the lane markers. Then I stand on the accelerator from roughly a 20 mph roll. The car responds instantly, the CL type s has *torque* in case you didn't know. The 3.2 V6 remains quiet under full throttle acceleration until the point at which the second intake runner opens, then it begins to sing. Whereas the RSX type s is a high tenor, possibly approaching soprano range, the song of the CL type s is an even baritone to lower tenor range. Due to not being completely familiar with the car, I missed the point at which the 2nd runner opens, so I cannot relay the exact rpm. It appeared to be north of 4500rpm and south of 5500rpm. The CL type s redlines at 6900rpm.

Man does torque ever feel great! However, remember that light clutch with the long stroke and high engagement point? It shows up again as I make the shift second gear. About 500rpm shy of redline, I lift the throttle as I pin the clutch to the floor and flick the lever into 2nd gear. As I complete the shift, I start to bring the clutch back off the floor. It reaches the point at which the RSX type s would begin to engage, so out of habit I start squeezing on the throttle. I notice that the rpms have only dropped about 800rpm from the point I began the shift. I think, jeebus! these gear ratios are right on top of each other! Then I realize, I still don't have the clutch fully engaged, and I'm giving it too much throttle for the amount of clutch I have released. I bump my left knee on the steering wheel, and finally get the clutch fully engaged. Now the car can handle the amount throttle I'm giving it. The shift from second to third was not as bad, but the precision did suffer due to the light effort, high engaging clutch. I run the car hard through 4th gear and start to back off, we are traveling at around 90 mph give or take at this point.

I decide I want to negotiate some curves, so the salesman directs me to take the next right. I do, and though the road was not as winding as I was hoping, it is sufficient to get a feel for the handling. The CL type s is quite stable in the turns thanks to the double wishbones all the way around and the 215/50/17 tires. Steering input is not as heavy as my car, but it is stiff enough to remain precise and controlled when winding on lock for the corner. Being unfamiliar with the car and the fact that dusk is upon us, I don't push the car too hard. No heel/toe with this clutch, nor did I attempt any late braking entries. Still, I am satisfied with the handling. I find it to be at least as competent as the RSX type s when driven at the same speeds, although I can feel the extra size of the CL in the turns.

After a few more corners I head back for the dealer. Just before we turn in, I ask the salesman to leave me his card with the absolute bottom line cash price for the CL type s manual written on the back. He does a few umms and uhs and says he could work a deal. I say, 'Okay, how about $28,659?"

'We can probably do that,' he replies.

I had to fight to stifle my laughter. If you don't see why this is funny, look up the CL-S manual without navigation at www.edmunds.com, and you will. heh.

As I slide back into the RSX type s, I miss the extra padding of the CL-S, but I am thankful to be working my more precise clutch, as well as my stiffer steering. Overall, I am pleased with the CL-S manual, but it is lacking in some areas where it should not.

Overall summary:

Clutch (stroke, feel, precision, engagement)-----RSX type s

the RSX type s simply has a better clutch

Exterior styling------Tie

I like the exteriors of both cars equally well, though I prefer the 2002 CL type s rims to the 2003 design

Interior------CL Type S hands down

much quieter ride, though you can still hear the engine when you romp it. The seats are clearly superior, and you get some things you don't get in the USDM RSX. (Heated seats and mirrors, 2 position memory seats/radio/mirrors, outside temp gauge, center console/arm rest, 8 way adjustable power seats, etc). It is obvious what the difference price gets you, and I think it's worth it.

handling--------too close to call

I say this because I clearly did not push the limits of the CL-Type S. From the amount of time I did spend in the car, I expect it is just as capable as the RSX type S at the limit, and probably able to turn faster lap times due to the LSD and extra torque/hp.

acceleration------CL-S 6speed

This is an easy one. The RSX type s perhaps feels faster due to the screaming engine and wind noise, but the CL-S manual gets it done with a refined elegance. Maybe it's just my age, but I like it that way.

Final score? I give the CL-S 6speed an 8.2 out of a possible 10.0. That clutch is going to hamper performance, and I have to count off some for the POS michelin stock tires. Overall, this is a great car, but I think the clutch issue might be enough to keep me in my RSX type S. I plan to visit another dealer in the next couple of days for another test drive, in hopes that the car I drove was just a fluke. I will post additional comments once I do that.
Old 02-04-2003, 03:25 PM
JZ
Three Wheelin'

Strange--I've driven both and noticed just the opposite--I had to eat my knee to get the RSXS clutch to catch while the CLS clutch was just like I like em--nice and tight and low! It caught almost immediately and felt great.
Old 02-04-2003, 03:31 PM
Where is my super sauce?

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
I actually didn't read the whole review, but when it came out most of us thought the clutch engagement point was low (and good). I'm not sure what's going on with the car this person reviewed.

I would say my clutch engages about 1 - 1.5 inches off the floor. It took some getting used to in the first week of ownership - but I do think that it can engage quite quickly and does so pretty close to the floor. It needs a moderate amount of pressure to push (not too hard, not too soft - just right). It is a hydraulic clutch and it does feel different then the mechanical clutches that I've used.

I've never driven a RSX-S, nor anticipate that I will in the future, so I cannot comment on how this car feels compared to it. I did have a 1991 Integra before and I like this clutch a lot better, FWIW.
Old 02-04-2003, 03:43 PM
Cost Drivers!!!!

I really don't agree with what this dude says. RSX and CLS shifters couldn't be more different. If you think the CLS clutch is light then you should try the s2000. Clutch engagement is LOW LOW LOW.
Old 02-04-2003, 03:45 PM
Banned

i thought it was laughable how he said the RSX and CL-S seats are comperable with the acception of a little extra padding on the seat bottom....is he insane?? CL-S seats are some of the best in the automotive industry as a whole!!!! RSX seats are like a picinic bench.....
Old 02-04-2003, 04:17 PM
Not AtlCl98 or Atl-CL

Yea that was a real subjective review , no bias at all
Old 02-04-2003, 04:37 PM
Advanced

Reviewer: The clutch is also extremely light. Again, consulting my 'leg extension dyno' I estimate the CL type s clutch takes at least 1/3 LESS force to depress than the RSX type s. Once more, this is not a desirable trait for a performance trimmed car.

Me: Why would anyone want a lot of force to depress a clutch? On the contrary a light, short clutch is ideal for performance.

Reviewer: It also has an extremely high engagement point. My knee nearly bumps the steering wheel by the time I lift my foot from the pedal.

Me: The clutch travel is too long, I agree, but the engagement is right at the bottom. The rest is somewhat useless travel. Also, the engagement is a little too abrupt for easy driving. But it is bang-on for hard driving.

If the clutch issue is the only thing that will keep this person in the RSX Type-S, then he should do another test drive. Every single person that described the CLS clutch, talked about a very low and abrupt engagement. Other than a more crisp handling (due to a much lighter car), the RSX-S6M cannot really compare with the CLS-6M.

Mind you, I am not knocking the RSX-S in any way. My only complaint about the RSX-S is the insulation. The highway noise is really too much for my age (I owned an Acura Integra for 7 years and loved everything about it, except the noise it made at highway speeds).
Old 02-04-2003, 06:20 PM
Unregistered Member

Received 45 Likes on 32 Posts
I prefer a light clutch, even on a sporty car. But usually, a clutch pedal that is harder to depress= a stronger clamping force for the clutch. In other words, if you've got a wimpy feeling clutch pedal, chances are that your clutch isn't very strong. But that's not always the case

As for the engagement point-- that can vary from car to car, even with a hydraulic clutch. It seems that most Acura 6 speed owners feel that their clutch engages low (which is also what I prefer)
Old 02-04-2003, 08:04 PM
Instructor

Originally posted by jimcol711
i thought it was laughable how he said the RSX and CL-S seats are comperable with the acception of a little extra padding on the seat bottom....is he insane?? CL-S seats are some of the best in the automotive industry as a whole!!!! RSX seats are like a picinic bench.....
LOL, I was thinking the same thing...

The clutch throw COULD be a little shorter, but I have no major complaint...

I though this guy who wrote the review sounded like a spoiled $50k-car driver at first comparing his BMW 7-series to the CL-S... and then he goes and compares the CL-S to the RSX! and unfoavorably to boot!?! :shakehd:

No offense to the RSX, but they aren't even in the same league.
Old 02-04-2003, 08:05 PM
Suzuka Master

You must have some nice roads to drive on, because my CLS makes quite a bit of road noise; although that might be because i'm waiting for the new struts (no it wasn't my fault, pm if you want details) to come before i get it aligned. And i also notice wind noise - but i might just be used to the car, or it's more noticable in the 2001 instead of the 2003.
Old 02-04-2003, 08:17 PM
Safety Car

"I smile when I notice that I can anchor my elbow on the armrest and my hand falls right on top of the centered shifter. Acura has this exactly right."

RSX has no armrest! Thats the one thing I hate about driving my girls car!
Old 02-04-2003, 09:41 PM
Capo di Tutti Capi

The Lincoln LS clutch is lighter and smoother than the CL's. It's the best I've ever driven and appropriate for a luxury car.

The CL's is of medium force with engagement right above the floor. It's a self adjusting unit so I don't see how this guy's test could be otherwise. Not only is his leg dyno off but so is his yardstick. Dude must think that he's hung like a horse too.

Regarding the seat height, I too would prefer it lower, and I'm only 5'-6" tall.
Old 05-10-2005, 10:36 PM
Burning Brakes

Yeah I don't agree with this dude either. Clutch engagement point is very low and responsive... if not too responsive for a sports luxury (here's me being old again)!

And I also don't agree about road noise. It's pretty loud (but I don't mind at all).
Old 05-10-2005, 10:46 PM
Team Owner

Post date: 02-04-2003
Old 05-10-2005, 11:27 PM
how handsome I am

holy old thread batman!

interesting read though. I cant imagine the RSX (insert trim here) in any leauge with any CL-S.

-Alex
Old 05-11-2005, 03:04 AM
Intermediate

"The gear pattern is *identical* to the RSX type s: Straight back for 1>2, straight up with the heel of the palm, allowing the stick to center itself coming out of 2nd, and clicking into 3rd. Straight back again for 4th, then a diagonal move to 5th. Sixth gear is right where I expect it to be, back and just to the right of 5th"

old thread or not.. THIS is hilarious.

you know.. i like it when 5th gear is straight down from 1st... 2nd is above 4th, and 6th is above 3rd.. it just makes it more interesting. i mean, i really wish my CL had that shift pattern
Old 05-14-2005, 12:57 AM
Beware of leakage

Originally Posted by Shawn S
Post date: 02-04-2003
and by Jimmy boy himself One of his more informative threads I would have to say. That guy
Old 05-18-2005, 05:40 AM
5th Gear

I am not sure this guy drove a CL at all. I have had a CLS 6 speed for a couple of years. I also taped MotorWeek when it came out, and it is still on my Tivo. They spent at least 2 minutes talking about the clutch, and it mirrors my experience as well. That clutch engages at the bottom 1/2 to 3/4 inch.. Definately not at the top. Handling is definately not to close to call the double wishbone, and helical limited slip is going to be much better again to quote motorweek 'this is the possibly the most flat handler, and best handling front driver ever built. The RSX is a great car, and I have driven one extensively as well but it won't out handle the CLS. The CLS clutch is near competition style as a stock car is going to get. Don't get me wrong the clutch is a pain in the butt sometimes, like when you are trying to pull away from a stoplight where a cop is.. The damn things wants to sqeal EVERY time, and I live at 5300 feet in Colorado can't imagine this thing at sea level.

- Afterburner
Old 05-18-2005, 09:59 AM
Senior Moderator

Received 1,760 Likes on 1,046 Posts
Exclamation

OK, I'm going to close this. It will still be here for reference, however, closed for discussion since it's over two years old!!