Interesting!

Search this Thread

Old 02-11-2003, 08:54 AM
Racer

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Interesting!

A co-worker of mine has his mind set on buying a 350Z, but didn't know which of the 5 different models to pick. He admitted he didn't understand the value of traction control, vehcile stability assist, navi, and sport shift. Being a good co-worker I voluntered to let him drive my 01 CLS. We went out out to some deserted roads and put my CLS through its paces. It had recently rained so we slid the car to demo vehicle stability assist (it worked great). We put one drive wheel in a puddle and floored it to demo traction control (once again worked great). We sport shifted to demo vtec and dual stage induction. At the end of the test session he was extremely impressed, but said he hadn't driven the 350Z yet. Today when I saw him he told me he should have never driven my CLS. Of course I asked why? He told me when going from my pathfiner to the 350Z it's impressive, but not when going from your car to the 350Z. He went on to say my CLS sounds better at higher RPMS and even feels like it pulls harder. He also said my CLS's navi is better integrated into the dash. He didn't like the panel you have to pull up to get to the 350Z's navi. He also said he expected to feel more power out of the 350Z, but again when compared to my CLS it wasn't noticable. Finally, he said he was still going to buy the 350Z, but admited if the CLS had better exterior styling the story would be different. Interesting, my nearly 3 year old CLS held up well when driven back to back with a 2003 350Z. BTW he test drove the 350Z that is one model below the "track" model.
Old 02-11-2003, 09:46 AM
Drifting

Hrrmmm...very interesting! I still wanna test try one of those things . The car overall is nice, hate the interior and the back still looks wierd to me...but I wouldn't mind one.
Old 02-11-2003, 11:39 AM
Racer

Yeah, me too! My co-worker said he owes me one so I think I'll drive his after its broken in. I'm sick of FWD. We really don't need it here in Florida. My next car will be RWD! Probably the 04 Cobra. I'd trade my CLS right now for an 03 Cobra if it had a different interior, but as it is I'll wait for the interior change.
Old 02-11-2003, 01:14 PM
Race Director

Received 15 Likes on 4 Posts
I love my Z. I don't regret trading my CLS 5AT in for it at all. It just feels like a pure sports car whereas my CL was more of a compromise between sport and luxury. The auto tranny didn't help things. Now if I had the CLS 6MT, i'm not sure it would have been worth the swap...not at least until the turbo kits come out for my Z anyhow(especially since buying the Z meant I had to buy a beater car for the winter also).
Old 02-11-2003, 01:16 PM
Suzuka Master

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts
There's a used Z at the local Nissan dealership, I need to go test drive it b4 it gets sold. But that probably won't be for a while, they have a $39,999 sticker on a used 350Z.
Old 02-11-2003, 02:38 PM
Rod
Drifting

Originally posted by zeroday
...Now if I had the CLS 6MT, i'm not sure it would have been worth the swap...not at least until the turbo kits come out for my Z anyhow...
I wonder how the 6-speed CL-S with the Comptech supercharger will do against a turboed 350Z, that should be interesting...or better yet, all_motor's turboed CL-S.
Old 02-11-2003, 03:30 PM
Racer

Originally posted by Rod
I wonder how the 6-speed CL-S with the Comptech supercharger will do against a turboed 350Z, that should be interesting...or better yet, all_motor's turboed CL-S.
In a drag race it would be a stomp by the RWD car. Anyone who has ever watched Speed Channel's coverage of show room stock racing can see that. The weight transfer favors the RWD car big time. Once up to speed it may be a different story, but out of the hole give it to the RWD car.
Old 02-11-2003, 03:41 PM
Burning Brakes

Originally posted by zeroday
I love my Z. I don't regret trading my CLS 5AT in for it at all. It just feels like a pure sports car whereas my CL was more of a compromise between sport and luxury. The auto tranny didn't help things. Now if I had the CLS 6MT, i'm not sure it would have been worth the swap...not at least until the turbo kits come out for my Z anyhow

""""(especially since buying the Z meant I had to buy a beater car for the winter also).
""""

boy does this say a lot about our cars and the northern climates

i never ever drove my mustang gt in the wet for the same reason

I LOVE MY CL-S