Intake Manifold Part 1, The Tear Down

Search this Thread

Old 09-22-2002, 07:09 PM
Suzuka Master

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Intake Manifold Part 1, The Tear Down

I finally got the time to begin a port and polish (following in Mike's foot steps!!), along with port matching, of the intake manifold. I just got everything off including the injector bases. Pics are below of the tear down only. I will probably begin some of the porting tonight and finish it up tomorrow. Additional pics will follow.

But from what you can see below there is plenty of benefit to polishing. It is rough in there with plenty casting marks.

The following pics are of the V portion of the engine without the manifold in place:

Here is a close up of one of the head intake ports; you can see the two intake valves in there pretty clearly:

All of the parts on my garage floor:

Rear Injector Base:

Close up an injector base port; notice the rough surface and the casting marks:

Intake Manifold:

Close Up of the entry to the intake manifold from where the throttle body would attach; again, notice the casting marks:

Entrance into the front chamber:

One of the passages to the center plenum:

Runner entrance:

Close up of the Runner outlet to the injector base:

Bottom of the intake manifold where it attaches to the injector bases:

That is it, as if that wasn't enough, for now. I'll start a new thread on the during and after pics that another on putting everything back together. But the tear down was pretty easy, just over an hour. I expect the porting to take about two to three hours and then an hour to put it back together. So it could be done in an afternoon.

I did buy all new gaskets which cost me about $80 and then about $50 on various grit cartridge rolls. So for an afternoon's work and less than $150 you can easily do this your self. But you will need a good compressor and an air grinder...
Old 09-22-2002, 07:21 PM
Community Architect
robb m.

Received 626 Likes on 277 Posts
wow, I think I'll tackle it myself Steve...thanks for the pictorial!
Old 09-22-2002, 07:32 PM
Three Wheelin'

Received 3 Likes on 2 Posts
What kind of gains do u expect from doing this?
Old 09-22-2002, 07:37 PM
Suzuka Master

Originally posted by acur8ly
What kind of gains do u expect from doing this?
I really have no clue, that will be determined though. I would hope for about 10 - 15 WHP, which I would be pleased with. If it is more, then all the better...
Old 09-22-2002, 07:38 PM
Cost Drivers!!!!

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Dumb observation..... porting and extrude/hone. What is the difference. I know what each does but are they the same thing?
Old 09-22-2002, 07:43 PM
Suzuka Master

Originally posted by Zapata
porting and extrude/hone. What is the difference. I know what each does but are they the same thing?
They end up doing the same thing, smoothing out the passages to allow for easier and greater flow. The hand porting and polishing is manual and the extrude honing is an automated process.

BTW, it is thought that extrude honing is better in general. But if care is taked and the work done diligently, a hand porting and loishing can acheive the same results. It just takes time...
Old 09-22-2002, 07:53 PM
Safety Car

From your time to dismantle, it seems the removal is pretty straightforward - any hiccups or pointers for the procedure?

Are you doing anything to the Throttle-Body?? Any enlargement would necessitate a bigger butterfly-valve - or are you leaving that as it is?

I think if/when you add the S/C, gains will be very impressive.

I have thought about this, but might go with Extrude Honing instead of the p/p.

Do you see any significant size difference between the runner diameter and the intake port?

Is it me... or does it look like there are velocity-stacks (like a venturi plate) on the intake runner (towards the plenum-side)?
Old 09-22-2002, 08:04 PM
Suzuka Master

Originally posted by allmotor_2000
From your time to dismantle, it seems the removal is pretty straightforward - any hiccups or pointers for the procedure?

Are you doing anything to the Throttle-Body?? Any enlargement would necessitate a bigger butterfly-valve - or are you leaving that as it is?

Do you see any significant size difference between the runner diameter and the intake port?

Is it me... or does it look like there are velocity-stacks (like a venturi plate) on the intake runner (towards the plenum-side)?
It was pretty easy. There were only two small issues; the TB gasket stuck the two together pretty well requiring them to be pried apart. The other was one of the bolts on the injector bases. It was the one all the way to passenger side on the front injector base. It is fairly well hidden and was a biatch to get out. But other than that everything was very easy.

I'm leaving the TB alone right now. I am considering shaping it a little at the outlet to match up with the manifold; but that would be all. I am not equipped to make a new throttle plate...

The runner ports all the way from the manifold, injector base to the head ports matched up pretty well. I'll touch them up a bit along with match the gaskets but there won't be too much to do here.

There are, what the manual calls, funnels at the entrance to the runners from the font and rear chamber. Is this what you are referring to??
Old 09-22-2002, 09:56 PM
Cost Drivers!!!!

scalbert,
Thanks for the answer. I figured as much. How much untapped power do you think will be release as result of the work?
Old 09-22-2002, 10:00 PM
Senior Moderator

Received 12 Likes on 9 Posts
Nice pics Steve. Are you going to P&P the center plenum? That one bolt on the inject base was pretty tough to get at.

btw, my gas mileage has go to hell in a hand basket. can't keep my foot from burying the throttle but still...it's drinking like a frat boy
Old 09-22-2002, 10:48 PM
Suzuka Master

Originally posted by Mike
Nice pics Steve. Are you going to P&P the center plenum? That one bolt on the inject base was pretty tough to get at.

btw, my gas mileage has go to hell in a hand basket. can't keep my foot from burying the throttle but still...it's drinking like a frat boy
Wow nice pics, especially in comparison to Mike's pics of his smoother-than-a-baby's-butt intake manifold chambers
Old 09-22-2002, 10:54 PM
Senior Moderator

same pic better lighting

Old 09-23-2002, 06:44 AM
Suzuka Master

same pic better lighting
And much better camera!!!

Why did you pulls off the valve covers??

About polishing up the center chamber, I am planning on it. Not that I would see anything to be had from it; but since it is off and I have extra catridge rolls, I might as well.
Old 09-23-2002, 06:53 AM
Xe- For Better Hwy Vision

scalbert,
Looks like your are clearly on your way to some extra hp
and intake flow.
What gaskets did you end up changing? I was surpised to see 80 bones total- I usally get raped on gaskets from the dealer.

BTW, I agree in terms of doing the final "hand polishing". It's
kind of like a jewler with that unfinished 2ct diamond.
Old 09-23-2002, 07:28 AM
Suzuka Master

Originally posted by xenon7
What gaskets did you end up changing? I was surpised to see 80 bones total- I usally get raped on gaskets from the dealer.
I purchase six gaskets total just in case. The throttle body gasket, the front and rear chamber to intake manifold gaskets, the manifold to injector bases gaskets and then the front and rear injector base to head gaskets.

It ended up being more than I expected; averaging about $14 per gasket. Plus, it looks like I could reuse some of the metal gaskets as my car has only 2700 miles on it right now. But I decided to play it safe and get gaskets.
Old 09-23-2002, 11:20 AM
Senior Moderator

Originally posted by scalbert
And much better camera!!!

Why did you pulls off the valve covers??

About polishing up the center chamber, I am planning on it. Not that I would see anything to be had from it; but since it is off and I have extra catridge rolls, I might as well.
I pulled the valve covers off b/c I was going to send the heads to Extrude, but my mechanic ran out of time.

ahh....that's probably a good thing....gas mileage being as sucky as it is.
Old 09-23-2002, 11:22 AM
Senior Moderator

Btw, I talked to a guy who builds racing engines. He said to leave the rear injector base rough in order to atomize the air into the heads.
Old 09-23-2002, 11:48 AM
Suzuka Master

Btw, I talked to a guy who builds racing engines. He said to leave the rear injector base rough in order to atomize the air into the heads.
I question this a little. The injectors shoot into the heads, not the injector base. They practically shoot onto the back of the intake valves. This is where the swirl will occur as air enters the cylinder.

My thoughts are that the increased velocity will help the swirl effect as both air and fuel is pulled into the cylinder thus allowing for greater atomization.

But just my $0.02, I'll try it anyway just for the experience. Who knows, it might end up working out for the better.
Old 09-23-2002, 12:07 PM
Senior Moderator

Cool, I was just passing that tidbit along.

Btw, what tools are you going to use for the P&P? Post some pics of the tools and materials. It would also be nice to see the work as the manifold becomes progressively smoother.

ps:upgrade your camera
Old 09-23-2002, 12:15 PM
Suzuka Master

Cool, I was just passing that tidbit along.

Btw, what tools are you going to use for the P&P?
Absolutely, and I welcome any input like that. Sometimes you just have to try something to beleive it. Plus, if it does turn out for the negative then I can certainly get just the bases and swap them out.

To help with some shaping I'll use a carbide tipped bit. But for the most part I will use standard aluminum-oxide cartridge rolls for 80% of the work ranging in grit from 80 - 320. I'll end with some polishing using flap wheels at about 600 grit.

http://www.mscdirect.com/PDF.process?pdf=873
Old 09-23-2002, 12:19 PM
Suzuka Master

ps:upgrade your camera
heheh, yea I know. It is actually a DV camera so the quality is as expected. I'll suck it up soon and get a real digital still camera. But my wife primarily uses here nice Nikon which has caused the delay, lack of need...
Old 06-29-2008, 11:47 PM
Instructor

Yup, i'm bringing back a very old thread. How many people have ported and polished their intake (lower and upper)? Any noticeable or measurable gains?
Old 06-30-2008, 10:50 AM
Instructor

Received 4 Likes on 3 Posts
Originally Posted by corpsdawg
Yup, i'm bringing back a very old thread. How many people have ported and polished their intake (lower and upper)? Any noticeable or measurable gains?
i would like to know too
Old 06-30-2008, 12:20 PM
i heart latin chicks

Received 64 Likes on 16 Posts
I picked up a cl-s upper IM, along with a 03 6spd TB... had them both sent off to get bored out/port/polish, and yes, noticeable gains... coming from a cl-p
Old 06-30-2008, 06:50 PM
MP90 uninstalled

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts
I did it but I dont know what the gains were.
Old 06-30-2008, 07:55 PM
Instructor

I've heard different stories about the degree of difficulty of doing P&P yourself. I have all the tools, but has anyone done this themselves? Also, for those of you who sent yours off, what was about the cost and time to have them done?
Old 07-01-2008, 10:51 AM
Senior Moderator

Received 48 Likes on 33 Posts
i did mine along with eliminate the vsa , and sent out the thrttle body ... this is the type of mod that should be done near the end of all other mods
Old 07-01-2008, 07:29 PM
Instructor

Well i plan on staying NA, so if i had intake, headers, spacers and pulleys would this gain a significant amount? I may also consider getting the P2R plenums. How much did a shop charge you for the P&P? Did you send your TB off to kingmotorsport?
Old 07-02-2008, 07:56 AM
Senior Moderator

Received 1,080 Likes on 661 Posts
Well i plan on staying NA, so if i had intake, headers, spacers and pulleys would this gain a significant amount? I may also consider getting the P2R plenums. How much did a shop charge you for the P&P? Did you send your TB off to kingmotorsport?

IMO the cost to hp is soooo not worth it. I would guess maybe 5 hp gain. Are you also p&p the lowers? I did my lowers and it wasn't that hard to do. I used a combination of dremel and air tools.
Old 07-02-2008, 10:03 AM
B A N N E D

cant wait to put mines on...... SHOTS OUT TO P2R RACING ON THIS ONE!!

Old 07-02-2008, 10:14 AM
Instructor

oh wow. How much did that run you? Tell us when you install them and how they feel
Old 07-02-2008, 10:46 AM
B A N N E D

oh wow. How much did that run you? Tell us when you install them and how they feel
lol I lost count, I just remember that the spare upper IM and TB cost me $265 in the Black Market.
Old 07-02-2008, 01:32 PM
i heart latin chicks

Originally Posted by Sinister5
cant wait to put mines on...... SHOTS OUT TO P2R RACING ON THIS ONE!!
wtfuck you waiting on?
Old 07-02-2008, 01:43 PM
B A N N E D

Originally Posted by nbennettksu
wtfuck you waiting on?
Doing a "special build", waiting for some parts to come from honda before she gets "open heart surgery"
Old 07-02-2008, 05:40 PM
i heart latin chicks

badass, I was planning on doing hat. just couldnt wait any longer
Old 07-02-2008, 06:17 PM
B A N N E D

Originally Posted by nbennettksu
badass, I was planning on doing hat. just couldnt wait any longer
shoot it took me like 2 months to get all that. Just take your time. While I took my time I ended up deciding to go with a whole new set up in addition to this so when Im done I will probally be the only one with my "special set up".
Old 07-02-2008, 08:55 PM
Advanced

special project? ive done it already
Old 07-03-2008, 09:44 AM
B A N N E D

Originally Posted by rjurado_1215
special project? ive done it already
what have you done?
Old 07-03-2008, 02:24 PM
Quarantuning

Received 31 Likes on 25 Posts
Sinister5- You had P2R p&p the whole upper intake mainfold, as well as the tb, and runners? Thats what its looks like. Please, Please do a dyno. I was looking into this as my next mods. Thanks.
Old 07-03-2008, 03:24 PM
Banned

i port/polished the upper, no difference. maybe if the lower were done also

Quick Reply: Intake Manifold Part 1, The Tear Down