Installing Comptech Parts in Southern California

Search this Thread

Old 11-16-2006, 01:15 PM
Advanced

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Installing Comptech Parts in Southern California

I have a 2003 Acura CL Type-S, 6 speed stick.

If I wanted to upgrade using Comptech parts, such as their Ice Box and Clutch/Flywheel pacakge, where in Southern California (I live in West Covina, work in Whittier) can I go to to have them installed? Can specific Acura dealers do the installation? How much does it cost?

I know many CL owners on this website have modded their cars. I dont think everyone of you did so yourself! I am looking for someone to trust, provides reasonably priced labor, and does quality work.

Thanks for any input.
Old 11-16-2006, 01:29 PM
Racer

Originally Posted by boetheis
I have a 2003 Acura CL Type-S, 6 speed stick.

If I wanted to upgrade using Comptech parts, such as their Ice Box and Clutch/Flywheel pacakge, where in Southern California (I live in West Covina, work in Whittier) can I go to to have them installed? Can specific Acura dealers do the installation? How much does it cost?

I know many CL owners on this website have modded their cars. I dont think everyone of you did so yourself! I am looking for someone to trust, provides reasonably priced labor, and does quality work.

Thanks for any input.
No one does quality work but YOURSELF! by doing it yourself, you know what you're doing to the car instead of giving it to someone else that could possible f*** it up. The icebox is an easy DIY, no need to bring it to someone. i don't have much knowledge about the MTs, so maybe a couple of the 6 speeders here could help you.

As far as bring it to the dealership, they could charge you around $60-$80 per hour for labor. something to think about. Considering the mods i have right now, i'm glad i've done it myself. Saved a LOT of money.

I believe a lot of our CL owners on this forum did alot of their simple mods themselves or with a friend. 80% of my mods are all DIYs or with a friend.
Old 11-16-2006, 01:32 PM
contrarian in fashion

Received 19 Likes on 10 Posts
ice box is pretty much noob stuff... but the clutch and flywheel package should be able to install at most autoshops
Old 11-16-2006, 01:36 PM
Advanced

Originally Posted by aznxtallxboy
No one does quality work but YOURSELF! by doing it yourself, you know what you're doing to the car instead of giving it to someone else that could possible f*** it up. The icebox is an easy DIY, no need to bring it to someone. i don't have much knowledge about the MTs, so maybe a couple of the 6 speeders here could help you.

As far as bring it to the dealership, they could charge you around $60-$80 per hour for labor. something to think about. Considering the mods i have right now, i'm glad i've done it myself. Saved a LOT of money.

I believe a lot of our CL owners on this forum did alot of their simple mods themselves or with a friend. 80% of my mods are all DIYs or with a friend.

Thanks for the info. I knew the dealers would charge an arm and a leg. I used to work on my own 1986 Mercury Cougar because the engine bay was so big and everything on the V8 was so easy to reach. Looking at the CL's engine bay is a completely different experience. If Comptech gives good instructions, I think I will start with the Icebox...that should be easy enough for me to figure out. Thanks for the input!
Old 11-16-2006, 01:37 PM
Advanced

"Considering the mods i have right now, i'm glad i've done it myself. Saved a LOT of money."

Which mods do you have?
Old 11-16-2006, 01:42 PM
Racer

Yokohama Avid V4S
CT Icebox/K&N Filter, CT Strut, Sways, Jet-Hot Headers, Exhaust
TEIN SS-P w/ EDFC

Alpine DVA-9861, MRV-F545, MRD-M1005
Infinity Kappa Speakers
Boston 12" G5 Subwoofer
Monster Cable 1F Capacitor w/ Guage
Monster Cables

Debadged ex. "A"
'03 Exterior Conversion
Llumar Tint
Black Window Trim

Ingalls Camber Kit
Optima Yellow Top Battery
Viper 791XV Alarm w/ Remote Start
Painted Silver Interior Trim
Old 11-16-2006, 02:58 PM
Moderator Alumnus

Received 11 Likes on 7 Posts
Originally Posted by aznxtallxboy

All done by myself except the crank pulley cuz I didn't have a 3/4" impact gun available and the axle back because it was fitted and welded by a shop.
Old 11-16-2006, 03:04 PM
ABP CL-S 6 NAV

Comptech instructions sucked ass. There was parts not relating to the 6speed that it said it was there

- the radiator hoses routing was not talked about it the instructions
- the bumper removal was a pain (I found out later this wasnt even necessary)
- missing a screw needed to hold down the icebox for a 6speed

All in all, if you do it yourself you do it right and save money at the same time...... this was not necessarily an easy noob install in no means.
Old 11-16-2006, 03:13 PM
Advanced

Originally Posted by dalostpinoy
Comptech instructions sucked ass. There was parts not relating to the 6speed that it said it was there

- the radiator hoses routing was not talked about it the instructions
- the bumper removal was a pain (I found out later this wasnt even necessary)
- missing a screw needed to hold down the icebox for a 6speed

All in all, if you do it yourself you do it right and save money at the same time...... this was not necessarily an easy noob install in no means.
I actually saw on the instructions .PDF file that you need to take the bumper off! I am glad you said it wasnt even neccessary! In my opinion, when you are messing around inside the engine bay of a modern car, nothing is ever noob unless you have done it several times before. The last thing I want to do if mess up my ride by doing something myself, like not putting the bumber back on correctly.
Thanks for the input...it was very helpful.