Injectors Fouled

Search this Thread

Old 02-15-2006, 08:24 AM
3rd Gear

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Injectors Fouled

I'm new here so please bare with me if this subject has been beat to death. The check engine light on my wifes 2002 CL came on about 1 1/2 weeks ago. She took it to the dealer yesterday and the diagnosis is the injectors are fouled. They stated they don't try to clean them anymore and just replace them to the tune of over $800.00. I would like to know if this is actually something that is absolutely needed or should I take it to a reputable mechanic and have the system power flushed? If I do, are there any side effects that could occur that would be negative? Thanks
Old 02-15-2006, 11:54 PM
Senior Moderator

Received 12 Likes on 9 Posts
that sounds fishy to me. i'd take it to another dealer and get their opinion.
Old 02-15-2006, 11:55 PM
Senior Moderator

Received 12 Likes on 9 Posts
which dealer did you take it to?
Old 02-16-2006, 12:46 AM
i use the search button

thats the biggest load of BS i have ever heard
Old 02-16-2006, 04:26 AM
Burning Brakes

As above, take it somewhere else.

On a side note, there are two things that will foul injectors. One is bad gas from a station that has gotten some kind of junk in their tank. The second is, over time, running cheap off brand gas. Always use name brand gas. They have the proper mix of detergents to keep the injectors clean. The off brand gas comes from the same refineries as name brand, but usually doesn't have the various additives.
Old 02-16-2006, 09:31 AM
Acura loyal for 93mo/109k

Originally Posted by Starter
On a side note, there are two things that will foul injectors.
Add one more. I believe low pressure from the fuel pump can effect the droplet size and spray pattern which can lead to fouling.
Old 02-16-2006, 11:15 AM
3rd Gear

Thanks for the replies. The wife took the car to a dealer named Ron Tonkin Acura in Beaverton, Oregon. I rarely drive the car but I do know my wife is a money saver and looks for stations with lower prices. Cut rate stations she stays away from, but does look at prices. I intend to run a couple cans of Sea Foam through it and then take it to a local mechanic that has a power flush system for injectors. If that doesn't settle it, then getting rid of the car is my plan. I like the Acura cars, but the trouble with transmissions and all the other crap Acura doesn't seem to want to back up, and thats enough for me. I never thought a Honda product would be a problem vehicle, but I sure see things differently now. Yes, your right, I'm another victim of the bad tranny issue.
Old 02-20-2006, 07:09 PM
Eurotrash

Received 41 Likes on 38 Posts
Stealership told her that because they prey on women.
Old 02-20-2006, 07:22 PM
Pro

Seafoam helps the air intake side but nothing for the fuel side. You need to run a couple of bottles of Techron FI cleaner to a full tank of premium chevron gas (No I dont work for them). If there is any carbon or fouling, this is your best shot to clean it up.
Old 02-20-2006, 07:37 PM
Not Asian

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Originally Posted by dgracer
Seafoam helps the air intake side but nothing for the fuel side. You need to run a couple of bottles of Techron FI cleaner to a full tank of premium chevron gas (No I dont work for them). If there is any carbon or fouling, this is your best shot to clean it up.
Not if you put Seafoam in the gas tank.
Old 02-21-2006, 07:35 AM
3rd Gear

I'm a little surprised that you say Sea Foam doesn't work on the fuel side. I thought it was developed for just that, for outboard boat motors. Add to fuel tank to clean varnish, eliminate water, ETC. I would agree for sure that perhaps a better choice would be the Chevron products you mention. The more I explore this situation, the more I here about running Chevron premium gas only in the Acura's. I was also told that here in Oregon and Washington, we are the only two states that do not regulate gas, so we tend to get the lowest grades of fuel. Not sure about this, but it was mentioned. Anyone in the know be able to confirm this?
Old 02-21-2006, 08:59 AM
Senior Moderator

Received 1,080 Likes on 661 Posts
Originally Posted by dgracer
Seafoam helps the air intake side but nothing for the fuel side.
Common Reasons Service Technicians Use SEA FOAM MOTOR TREATMENT

When your vehicle has a rough idle, hesitates, stalls, pings or has an after run problem – this is often due to carbon buildup.

Your service technician can offer a reasonably priced fuel systems cleaning with the use of SEA FOAM products to solve these carbon problems.

When your vehicle’s fuel injectors need cleaning – this is often due to residue left on injectors from poor burning fuels and contaminants.

Your service technician can offer an inline fuel injection cleaning with the use of an injector cleaning machine and SEA FOAM MOTOR TREATMENT. SEA FOAM MOTOR TREATMENT is also added to the fuel to disperse moisture, clean fuel lines and injectors while driving.

When moisture needs to be removed from fuels or an anti gel or de-icer is needed – these conditions are due to condensation in the fuel tank and extreme cold weather creating gas line freeze or diesel fuel gelling.

Your service technician can recommend the use of SEA FOAM MOTOR TREATMENT in the fuel tanks to dry moisture and cure these problems.

When there is moisture detected in the oil – this problem is due mostly to poor ventilation and condensation. Sometimes, however, there is a bad head gasket, cracked head or block that must be replaced.

Your service technician will diagnose the problem and recommend the repairs. As part of the diagnostics, a SEA FOAM MOTOR TREATMENT can be used in the oil crankcase to cure the moisture problems. A SEA FOAM MOTOR TREATMENT can also be used in the oil crankcase after repairs to make sure moisture is eliminated.

When valve lifter noise is apparent or piston rings seem to be sticking – this is often due to dirty and gummed up oil passages, varnished lifters and buildup of gum, varnish and carbon in the piston ring areas.

Your service technician can offer a SEA FOAM MOTOR TREATMENT that will clean sticky lifters and free sticky rings. By doing this treatment you will be able to determine if there is a varnish problem or a mechanical problem.

To help pass emissions tests – high emission numbers are usually caused by extreme carbon build up, dirty emission control items such as: pcv valve, egr valve, oxygen sensors or bad spark plugs and wires.

Your service technician can provide a pre-emission test service that includes SEA FOAM MOTOR TREATMENT as a cleaning agent to help pass emissions tests.

When fuel stabilization and engine fogging is needed – fuels of today become stale in less than thirty days. Therefore, stabilization and engine fogging are needed when vehicles, lawnmowers, snow blowers, outboard motors, chainsaws, motorcycles, gas in cans and engines are put into storage.

Your service technician can provide fuel stabilization and engine fogging services with SEA FOAM MOTOR TREATMENT
Old 02-21-2006, 06:08 PM
Three Wheelin'

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Originally Posted by NSXNEXT
Common Reasons Service Technicians Use SEA FOAM MOTOR TREATMENT
This must be from a Seafoam sales sheet. It is 99% bullshit.

When your vehicle’s fuel injectors need cleaning – this is often due to residue left on injectors from poor burning fuels and contaminants.
Prime example....The burning occurs in the combustion chamber downstream of the injectors. You may have bad gas that doesn't burn completely but it sure won't effect the injectors.

Save your money.
Old 02-21-2006, 07:52 PM
Instructor

Run a bottle of Castle Dragon Fire through the tank and it will clean the injectors.
Old 02-21-2006, 10:41 PM
Acura loyal for 93mo/109k

Originally Posted by Zippee
This must be from a Seafoam sales sheet. It is 99% bullshit.
Sure sounds like a sales pitch to me! If the windshield is dirty, do you also put SeaFoam in the washer fluid reservoir?