Improve 0-60?

Search this Thread

Old 06-13-2001 | 12:51 PM
Race Director

Improve 0-60?

I'm getting a CL-P in a few weeks. I have asked the question before but no answers. I'm wondering what are good mods that I can add to help my Accl. For example what are the best, where to get them, ad how much would they cost. Also how much can the CL-P's (7.0 to 60MPH, that's what I heard, correct me if I'm wrong about that) be improved by these mods. Thanks, Anthony
Old 06-13-2001 | 02:44 PM
Senior Moderator

Check out the link below, then scroll down to Satin's response from today. If you look in his sig, you'll see the mods he's done to the car....

http://www.acura-cl.com/ubb/Forum1/HTML/006745.html

------------------
1998 Iced Blue CL 3.0 ** Some mods, but who cares, I want a Type-S!!

Moderator - 1st Gen Forum
Email: juniorbean@acura-cl.com
Old 06-13-2001 | 02:57 PM
teh Senior Instigator

From: Huntington Beach, CA -> Ashburn, VA -> Raleigh, NC -> Walnut Creek, CA
intake is probally your first mod

------------------
type S killer; except for mike's car

fastest 1/4 mile: 11.32

"There is something romantic about meeting in the middle of the night, going to some all-night restaurant, laying the bets, knowing the tracks that might come clear. You're running as many quarter miles as can be, knowing the cops are coming, then scattering like cockroaches in the middle of the night."
Old 06-13-2001 | 02:59 PM
Suzuka Master

Just my opinon, but if you are planning on modding why don't u just get a type S. thats 2000 right there.

and more potential.

------------------
CL-S
White/Ebony/Navi/Spoiler/Visor/Full Bra/Mud Guards/Acura Car Cover/Tint 20%,35%,5% on Sun Roof, Rockford 250a2 Amp w/JL10w6 / K&N Drop in Filter.Polarg m-6.
Comptech Headers,Springs,Sways, Eurolite Xenon Crystal high beams.Polarg m6

gtech 0-60 6.03 w/ 438 pound load. preheader.
Old 06-13-2001 | 03:49 PM
Unregistered Member

<font face="Verdana, Arial" size="2">Originally posted by NOVAwhiteTypeS:
Just my opinon, but if you are planning on modding why don't u just get a type S. thats 2000 right there.

</font>
Exactly.

------------------
99 M3
dead CL-S

Tom2: The Voice Of Reason and Captain of the Bullshit Police.
Old 06-13-2001 | 04:12 PM
Race Director

Oh I would have def. done that. But i'm 17 and my dad got me the car for college, and he wasn't going to spend another $2000 on top of all the other costs for college just so I can go a little faster. I even offered to help out but he said you got enough. We'll now I have to deal with what I have so I just want to make it as fast as the stock CL-S. I'm guessin if I add headers and Intake that should cost about $1,500. My question is will it make it run like the CL-S.
Thanks, Anthony
Old 06-13-2001 | 05:30 PM
Banned

hahahaa....no...sorry, headers doesn't make your car an S
<font face="Verdana, Arial" size="2">Originally posted by pgatour1:
Oh I would have def. done that. But i'm 17 and my dad got me the car for college, and he wasn't going to spend another $2000 on top of all the other costs for college just so I can go a little faster. I even offered to help out but he said you got enough. We'll now I have to deal with what I have so I just want to make it as fast as the stock CL-S. I'm guessin if I add headers and Intake that should cost about $1,500. My question is will it make it run like the CL-S.
Thanks, Anthony
</font>

------------------
2001 Cl-S Black on Black with Navigation
Black Tint all around (15%~45%)
Weapon-R Dragon Filter
Weapon-R Coil-Overs
Koni Adjustable Struts
Comptech Sway Bars
Comptech Headers (hehehe...I got something for you drchang!!)
14.698 @95.977mph....Sears Point Raceway.I think I need a Level 10 Torque Converter!!
Yes, I know I'm going to hell for wasting gas on Civics....
My Peoples
Old 06-13-2001 | 05:57 PM
The Creator

Just add rims and make it handle better. Why do ya need to go faster?

Your just gonna go faster to get mad tickets so then your dads insurance goes up and he takes your car away

Just make that shit look good.
Old 06-13-2001 | 05:58 PM
Race Director

Allright Allright no need to be making fun of the kid with the CL-P. hahah
Allright correct me if I'm wrong on this the Cl-S runs 6.3 to 60 and the CL-P runs about 7.0
What mods can help me cut my 0-60 time by about .5 secs
Is there a Computer Chip out for the CL. and if the headers add 30HP that will cut it down to about 6.6 so the headers and a chip would make it a stock S. But does anyone have any thoughts on this and should I just start with the Intake (also what would that do) and the Headers.

[This message has been edited by pgatour1 (edited 06-13-2001).]
Old 06-13-2001 | 06:02 PM
Race Director

<font face="Verdana, Arial" size="2">Originally posted by soopa:
Just add rims and make it handle better. Why do ya need to go faster?

Your just gonna go faster to get mad tickets so then your dads insurance goes up and he takes your car away

Just make that shit look good.
</font>
Soopa, you really don't think there is a need for any speed improvement. If I don't do the speed what are nice 17" rims with Dunlop Sport 5000 tires (I like those tires) that I should look at.

Old 06-13-2001 | 06:54 PM
Three Wheelin'

get some 19" lowenhart's and drop it 3 inches

------------------
'01 Black/Tan CL-S w/ Navi & spoiler
AEM CAI
Comptech headers, springs & sway bars
Toyo Proxes T1-S 235/45ZR17 tires
15% tint, Infinity Perfect sub/PPI amp

'97 Acura Integra LS

"You don't need a shopping cart wing to go fast..."
Old 06-13-2001 | 08:53 PM
I've seen this before...

I also have a CL-P...I need to make it FASTER! Plus, when is a supercharger in the works? What about our body kit? Do headers really add 30HP??!!

Peace

------------------

2001 Satin Silver CL-P
"Where's our damn body kit?!"
Old 06-13-2001 | 08:54 PM
Suzuka Master

Thanks, Anthony
</font>
NO!

------------------
Silver 2001 CL-S with NAVI
  • Mud guards
  • Wheel locks
  • Toyo T1S 235/45ZR17-97W* Proxies on 17x8" SSR Competition wheels (50 lbs less than stock)
  • Comptech headers & sways
  • Silver AEM CAI
  • 12 coats of Zaino magic
  • Stainless Brake lines coming (Brembos?)
  • V1 planned
Old 06-13-2001 | 10:32 PM
Racer

you guys are stupid if you think headers add 30hp...think logically..if they did why the hell wouldnt acura slap em on in the first place???
Old 06-13-2001 | 10:43 PM
Race Director

<font face="Verdana, Arial" size="2">Originally posted by z28typeSWRXkid:
you guys are stupid if you think headers add 30hp...think logically..if they did why the hell wouldnt acura slap em on in the first place???</font>
Hey not being stupid just going by what they say on the site. I can't say that I know it adds 30 HP but i'm not looking for a dumb answer. That's what the site says, correct me don't prosecute me if you think otherwise. My whole post is a question about improving speed. Ok so I add Headers and the Intake, Someone tell me how much that improves HP, Quarter and 0-60.
Thanks

Old 06-13-2001 | 11:49 PM
Suzuka Master

<font face="Verdana, Arial" size="2">Originally posted by z28typeSWRXkid:
you guys are stupid if you think headers add 30hp...think logically..if they did why the hell wouldnt acura slap em on in the first place???</font>
Headers add 24HP at the front wheels; toss in the 20% drive train loss and there is about a 30 HP gain with the Comptech headers at the crank. (Go to the Comptech site, then check out Mike's dynos -- I think that is proof enough. Finally, just multiply the 24 HP difference by 1.25 to get the 30 HP)

This is info for the CL-S, not CL-P.

A CL-S with headers and AEM CAI is making about 300 - 305HP at the crank. Toss in some light wheels, Densos, pulleys, and it is a FAST car...

Question with question time....

Why did Acura put on the such poor tires on our car, when they could have put on sticky Bridgestones like they did for the Type-R?

------------------
  • Mud guards
  • Wheel locks
  • Toyo T1S 235/45ZR17-97W* Proxies on 17x8" SSR Competition wheels (50 lbs less than stock)
  • Silver AEM CAI
  • V1 planned
Old 06-14-2001 | 12:13 AM
Race Director

EricL,
You just said with the Headers and AEM it goes to 300-305 HP. That is a 40HP increase. If those mods do the same for the CL-P 225 HP Stock, and add 40 HP then it is basically the same as a Stock CL-S.

Now my question...

So was I wrong before by saying that with headers and intake I coudln't make it like the CL-S? That question isn't directed at you just in general what people think, about it.

As for rims I was going to see if anyone was selling their CL-S rims around Holiday season time and then put Dunlop Sport 5000's on 235/45/17. I currently have those on my car and they were amazing this winter and in the rain and on dry road.
Old 06-14-2001 | 12:28 AM
Honkey

I think the headers only add about 15hp on a CL-P. Are you the guy that's going to ASU? If so, there's a place close by called Superior Racing Developement. I'd stop in there and talk with them about a NOS setup. Throw a direct port 75 shot on there and you'll leave just about every CL-S in the dust.

-Aaron
Old 06-14-2001 | 12:29 AM
Suzuka Master

EricL,
You just said with the Headers and AEM it goes to 300-305 HP. That is a 40HP increase. If those mods do the same for the CL-P 225 HP Stock, and add 40 HP then it is basically the same as a Stock CL-S.

Now my question...

So was I wrong before by saying that with headers and intake I coudln't make it like the CL-S? That question isn't directed at you just in general what people think, about it.

As for rims I was going to see if anyone was selling their CL-S rims around Holiday season time and then put Dunlop Sport 5000's on 235/45/17. I currently have those on my car and they were amazing this winter and in the rain and on dry road.
</font>
1. I got carried away -- the specs are for the CL-S.

The CL is like the TL, so I looked at the Comptech page for the TL headers, and it makes about 18HP more at the front wheels, this works out to about 22 HP at your crank (now up to 225+22= 247 HP).

I haven't seen a dyno for an AEM on a CL, but the TL forum www.acura-tl.com may be able to help you out. My guess would be about 6-8 HP at the front wheels. If I figure high, the 8HP becomes 10 HP at the crank (now up to 247+10=257HP). Congradulations, you have now about the same peak HP as the CL-S.

If you wanted to get sneeky and gain some extra speed, loose some weight (No manual transmission, so you can't lighten the flywheel). You could put on some very light wheels like the SSR Comps or Volks ($$$) (in the right size for your car). This will give you a push from low speed to high speed. A lot of people realy don't believe that this helps, but I got more from the wheels than I did from the headers and CAI (my opinion, but I did buy all of the stuff).

Finally, you could toss on the pulleys for 2+ HP and if you have run up some miles on your car, put in some Densos.

The light wheels don't translate to HP, but into less mass to move. You will loose the "static" weight (just like going on a diet -- doesn't sound like much...). However, the rotational inertia is really important. The weight lost there is a big deal!!!!

Note: People who have put on heavy 18" wheels have in lieu of the stock CLS wheels have been punished in street races and at the drag strip -- need I say more. Suggestion: go the other way and loose weight

The CLS wheels wont fit right (so I've been told) and you will lose acceleration if you put on the heavier wheels of the CLS

(my opinions only)

------------------
  • Mud guards
  • Wheel locks
  • Silver AEM CAI
  • V1 planned
Old 06-14-2001 | 12:31 AM
Racer

EricL,

Now my question...

</font>

Why get 17" STOCK rims? YOu can get something with a wider wheelbase and much nicer/lighter then the stock rims.
Old 06-14-2001 | 01:21 AM
Race Director

Thanks a lot for all the responses. I'm going to get the AEM and headers, someone posted about getting lighter 17" rims. Which ones do you suggest. Thanks, Anthony
Old 06-14-2001 | 01:29 AM
Three Wheelin'

Allright correct me if I'm wrong on this the Cl-S runs 6.3 to 60 and the CL-P runs about 7.0
What mods can help me cut my 0-60 time by about .5 secs
</font>
More accurate numbers would be 6.6 for the CL-S and 7.0 for the CL-P. There's really not much difference between the S and the P and it's ALL in the top end. Headers, intake and light wheels would probably just about get you to where a CL-S is.
Old 06-14-2001 | 01:56 AM
Old timer

<font face="Verdana, Arial" size="2">get some 19" lowenhart's and drop it 3 inches</font>
Yeah then Soopa will have your baby.

-J

------------------
2001 CL-S Aegean Blue/black interior spoiler, wheel locks, no-navi
Stock for now.
50% tint sides, 35% back.
Old 06-14-2001 | 02:20 AM
Pro

If you wanted to get sneeky and gain some extra speed, loose some weight (No manual transmission, so you can't lighten the flywheel). You could put on some very light wheels like the SSR Comps or Volks ($$$) (in the right size for your car). This will give you a push from low speed to high speed. A lot of people realy don't believe that this helps, but I got more from the wheels than I did from the headers and CAI (my opinion, but I did buy all of the stuff).

The light wheels don't translate to HP, but into less mass to move. You will loose the "static" weight (just like going on a diet -- doesn't sound like much...). However, the rotational inertia is really important. The weight lost there is a big deal!!!!

Note: People who have put on heavy 18" wheels have in lieu of the stock CLS wheels have been punished in street races and at the drag strip -- need I say more. Suggestion: go the other way and loose weight

[/B][/QUOTE]

I agree completely with Eric. The lighter rims will give better all around performance throughout the RPM range than Headers/CAI. This is also in conjunction with the improvements in the handling department as well.

------------------
Frank
01-S White/Parchment
Comptech Sways & Springs