is this illegal?

Search this Thread

Old 04-02-2005, 03:43 PM
buy my car

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
is this illegal?

I had a pretty knowledgable FI guy tell me that Blow off valves are illegal on the street, no matter what kind or the application. I found that hard to believe, and he said to ask around. reason i want to clear this up is that im still entertaining the idea of putting a turbo on my cl-s. if its illegal, i'll get one anyway, the sound is worth the ticket
Old 04-02-2005, 05:00 PM
Dragging knees in

Received 32 Likes on 21 Posts
This should be the least of your worries, since no turbocharger kit is available for our cars, and it wouldn't be emissions-certified. Besides, the BOV merely emits air into the air. I don't know why it would be illegal.
Old 04-02-2005, 11:37 PM
failhard.

Received 10 Likes on 9 Posts
No name brand turbo is out there for the CLs, but all_motor2000 is making custom turbos for 8K.
Old 04-02-2005, 11:52 PM
buy my car

im aware of allmotors kit, but just was wondering if the blow off valve was illegal, not just for the cl-s, but for all cars, this reputable guy says it is illegal, i beg to differ. just want to know the actual written law on this.

i dont think its illegal, but was told it is-actually could care less if it is or isnt
Old 04-03-2005, 12:06 PM
Racer

Received 9 Likes on 9 Posts
all turbo'd cars have some sort of blow off valve to let the extra air out.

some are just louder than others.

correct me if i'm wrong.
Old 04-03-2005, 12:08 PM
Oh Noes!

BOV's just push air out to make that sweet pshhhhh noise we all enjoy so much

i dont know how that in anyway is illegal unless cops are now assholes and are jealous of people who mod their cars cause they dont make enough money to mod their own cars

btw did you guys know that fuel injectors are illegal my friend just got a ticket 2 days ago 160 dollars + court day to show its been removed
Old 04-03-2005, 12:14 PM
teh Senior Instigator

Location: Huntington Beach, CA -> Ashburn, VA -> Raleigh, NC -> Walnut Creek, CA
Received 976 Likes on 330 Posts
Originally Posted by Pure Adrenaline
This should be the least of your worries, since no turbocharger kit is available for our cars, and it wouldn't be emissions-certified. Besides, the BOV merely emits air into the air. I don't know why it would be illegal.

depends if your state needs emissions testing though, some don't.
Old 04-03-2005, 09:24 PM
buy my car

Originally Posted by Anfurnys Type-S
BOV's just push air out to make that sweet pshhhhh noise we all enjoy so much

i dont know how that in anyway is illegal unless cops are now assholes and are jealous of people who mod their cars cause they dont make enough money to mod their own cars

btw did you guys know that fuel injectors are illegal my friend just got a ticket 2 days ago 160 dollars + court day to show its been removed
thats what i figured.

how did the cops know your buddy had injectors?? what does the law state about injectors? what dicks
Old 04-03-2005, 09:56 PM
Team Owner

Received 249 Likes on 175 Posts
Fuel injectors are illegal? Shit i've got 6 of 'em... I'm screwed! oh noes!
Old 04-03-2005, 10:33 PM
Pro

Originally Posted by mrsteve
Ass... heheh
Old 04-05-2005, 08:21 PM
Intermediate

Being a police officer, as far as Illinois is concerned, I've never seen anything relating to BOV's, let alone them being illegal in the Vehicle Code. This is not to say that the BOV may possibly be illegal in some areas due to emissions regulations, but other than that I would doubt it would be illegal unless it violated some type of noise ordinance (which I highly doubt it would). Good luck with the turbo!
Old 04-05-2005, 08:31 PM
buy my car

Originally Posted by 6SPEED-TYPE-S
Being a police officer, as far as Illinois is concerned, I've never seen anything relating to BOV's, let alone them being illegal in the Vehicle Code. This is not to say that the BOV may possibly be illegal in some areas due to emissions regulations, but other than that I would doubt it would be illegal unless it violated some type of noise ordinance (which I highly doubt it would). Good luck with the turbo!

can't get better advise than from someone who is actually enforcing the law. thanks for the info
Old 04-11-2005, 12:44 AM
Cruisin'

Originally Posted by Anfurnys Type-S

Did you know probably most all cars made today have fuel injectors?
Old 04-11-2005, 06:02 AM
Intermediate

Originally Posted by CLpower
depends if your state needs emissions testing though, some don't.

yep it pretty much varies depending on you're location...mostly state to state, but it's not beyond belief to see some city or township pronounce them illegal.....but most of the time if you're not dealing with CHP(California Highway Patrol) cops don't usually even understand the laws regarding these kinda of things, so they'll give you a ticket anyways...though I've never herd of any1 getting a BOV ticket, just referee refferals
Old 04-11-2005, 06:45 AM
Advanced

Originally Posted by 6SPEED-TYPE-S
Same here in NY.
Old 04-11-2005, 07:18 AM
Three Wheelin'

Received 10 Likes on 9 Posts
Originally Posted by mrsteve
he's in california. I moved from there about a year ago and if your pulled over and the cop decides to check your engine out, you could be in for a ticket or two if you've changed parts to non-compliant emission parts. thus, he may have off road injectors. I'd say it's rare to happen, but they, the cops, sometimes clamp down on the ricer type guys. That could be what he's referring to.

steve, how's the car sale coming along? Just a suggestion, I had on 01 CLS that I tried to sell for 3-4 months and in the meantime the price kept falling on the KBB site. I think you may be better off trading it in to the dealership you buy your new car from and put up with what they offer you. The benifit is that you'll pay less sales tax on the new car which may make up the difference you may lose if you have to wait an extended period of time to sell your cls. good luck, can't wait to see the rsx.
Old 04-11-2005, 08:57 AM
Cars are an addiction

All turbo's have a BOV. Even the stock ones that come with the cars. What might be illegal are the aftermarket ones that emmit a high pitch noise. Authorities could use the disturbing the peace or noise pollution. If anyone has even been ticketed for a BOV, it was prob becauswe they were racing, and got cought, and the cop was looking for every little thing...

Hell, my buddy was pulled over for speeding, and got a little wordy with the cop. And it went from a speeding ticket, to having the car impounded. Cop said that the tires would not pass inspection, so he had it towed and had the mechanic do a complete inspection, got him for a crystal hanging from the rear view, a lighted license place frame, bald tires, failed emissions, and a cracked windshield.... So there are a lot of things they can really do if they want...
Old 04-11-2005, 11:59 AM
Flap.

Originally Posted by CLean
All turbo's have a BOV.

false.

my car has recirculation valves.