If your dealer had wifi in the lobby, would you hang around to use it?

Search this Thread

Old 04-13-2004, 01:36 PM
Adult Supervision

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
If your dealer had wifi in the lobby, would you hang around to use it?

We are trying to determine at my company (a CLEC) if we should offer a service to auto dealers to enable them to offer wifi service in the lobby/waiting room.

I personally am not convinced that I would spend more time, or choose that dealer if they had wireless access, however, maybe I'm wrong.

What do you guys think? If they had wireless connectivity for free would you REALLY stay longer, or use that dealer or what?

I know you would simply post-whore it up, but I am trying to get some serious feedback. Thanks.
Old 04-13-2004, 01:39 PM
Adventurist.

Received 58 Likes on 22 Posts
I've used it, my dealer has wifi setup in the lobby room. I've used my laptop and PDA to check email, the forums. etc. Acura of Mission Viejo, CA for reference.

It's a good idea b/c I hate sitting at dealers bored to death.
Old 04-13-2004, 01:45 PM
Cost Drivers!!!!

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
YES!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!! !
Old 04-13-2004, 01:52 PM
Burning Brakes

I bet like 2 or 3 out of 100 ppl that pass through would know how, or have the technology to use it though. Personally I'd love it
Old 04-13-2004, 01:59 PM
Administrator Alumnus

Received 131 Likes on 82 Posts
It's like asking the question of "Would you like a bodykit for the CL"?

Most everyone here would say yes, but the majority of CL owners would give a crap.

Same could probably be said about WiFi in a dealership. If I gotta stay there more than 30 min, give me a loaner and let me go. Like hell I want to waste my time in a car dealership.

Not saying it's a bad idea. Afterall, McDonalds and even Starbucks have WiFi in some of there stores. But people are actually supposed to be sitting in there. A car dealership... If you're sitting, it's not ideal for business IMHO.

Which CLEC BTW???
Old 04-13-2004, 02:02 PM
Team Owner

I'll be honest...NO.
I'd take my loaner car and go.
Plus I don't drag my laptop with me all the time anyway.
Old 04-13-2004, 02:03 PM
Cost Drivers!!!!

Originally posted by Scrib
It's like asking the question of "Would you like a bodykit for the CL"?

Most everyone here would say yes, but the majority of CL owners would give a crap.

Same could probably be said about WiFi in a dealership. If I gotta stay there more than 30 min, give me a loaner and let me go. Like hell I want to waste my time in a car dealership.

Not saying it's a bad idea. Afterall, McDonalds and even Starbucks have WiFi in some of there stores. But people are actually supposed to be sitting in there. A car dealership... If you're sitting, it's not ideal for business IMHO.

Which CLEC BTW???

It's a great service would take my laptop there in a heart beat if they had it. Not something HUGE right now but if you are looking at from a business perspective it's a good move.
Old 04-13-2004, 02:08 PM
Where is my super sauce?

No.

I don't like waiting at the dealer either. I get my loaner and go, either that or walk around to local stores, etc. for a few hours. If I had work to do that required a computer, then I'd go back to work.

Donuts, nice lounges with HDTVs, food, magazines, internet, WiFi, etc are all nice gloss for an otherwise shitty experience, but I think that most of us rather avoid the experience rather then be enticed by the gloss.

Frankly, I rarely use my laptop too (at least for mobile computing). Its only uses are to check email when I'm away at a meeting for a few days, for presentations at said meetings, and to watch DVDs when travelling on the plane. I woudn't lug it to a car dealership.
Old 04-13-2004, 02:09 PM
Administrator Alumnus

Originally posted by Zapata
It's a great service would take my laptop there in a heart beat if they had it. Not something HUGE right now but if you are looking at from a business perspective it's a good move.
Good move how?

To me it'd be a sign that everyone's car is broken down and they're lounging in the dealership waiting for it to be fixed.

Christ... If I was a prospective buyer and walked back towards service and saw a shitpot of people sitting, I'd be going elsewhere.

Not too mention... Who in the hell wants to spend time in a dealership while their car is being serviced? Oil change, yeah? 4 hour work, no...

So in that 30 min for the oil change, you sit down... Boot up the laptop, which could take 5 minutes if you're running windows ( ), configure your card, becuase god only knows it never works right (again on windows ) and then you're finally surfing, but oh wait... Your car is already done.

Ok, so I'm being a smartass, but seriously... I don't see a value in having WiFi put in a business model where sitting is a BAD thing.
Old 04-13-2004, 02:17 PM
Suzuka Master

I'd sit on the leather couches and drink all the free soda I wanted, watching TV since they dont offer wifi just yet.

For a majority of the people I would think not so many would use it, but say you have an hour of work to be done, and you dont want to miss out on that hour of work I'd be a good thing. Maybe even offer the people a wifi card if they dont have one for the time they are there. That may improve response.
Old 04-13-2004, 02:19 PM
Team Owner

Besides, I think most people would rather go to work and get PAID to screw off on the NET.
Old 04-13-2004, 02:21 PM
Adult Supervision

I am just thinking that the 20x year olds with the laptops and PDA and all that crap would maybe use the service. Not completely sure. I am thinking it would work at the VW, Mitsu, Mazda, Acura, Honda dealers and not at the GM, Ford, MB, BMW dealers.

It's a demographic/age/X-gen thing.
Old 04-13-2004, 04:04 PM
Race Director

Received 4 Likes on 4 Posts
No way. I'd much rather sit on the computer at home then in a waiting area at a dealership.
Old 04-13-2004, 05:14 PM
Cost Drivers!!!!

few things:

-Yer an old man not wired in.....younger crowd is wired out the ying-yang.

- Service departments FIX THINGS. :sqnteek: You read way too much into waiting room population. Part-time soothesayer?? Read the entrails of any pigs lately? No wonder weather forcasts are so wacky

- sitting is not a bad thing. Sitting with nothing to do and not being able to do anything is BAD.

Originally posted by Scrib
Good move how?

To me it'd be a sign that everyone's car is broken down and they're lounging in the dealership waiting for it to be fixed.

Christ... If I was a prospective buyer and walked back towards service and saw a shitpot of people sitting, I'd be going elsewhere.

Not too mention... Who in the hell wants to spend time in a dealership while their car is being serviced? Oil change, yeah? 4 hour work, no...

So in that 30 min for the oil change, you sit down... Boot up the laptop, which could take 5 minutes if you're running windows ( ), configure your card, becuase god only knows it never works right (again on windows ) and then you're finally surfing, but oh wait... Your car is already done.

Ok, so I'm being a smartass, but seriously... I don't see a value in having WiFi put in a business model where sitting is a BAD thing.
Old 04-13-2004, 05:26 PM
Senior Moderator

Received 638 Likes on 276 Posts
You guys think too much.

Not everyone are able to get a loaner and for those who do get stuck at the dealership then wifi would be nice. Oil changes have never only lasted 30min... takes at least 45min at the dealers i been to.

Also what would be nice is if the dealer tells you that "this part" is causing the problems then i would like to come online and post about it and get fast answers. Lets face it... owners know more about the car than the dealers do.
Same would go if i was buying a car.. if iwant to buy a car and the salesman gave me a number, i would like to come online quickly and ask the owners to see if thats a fair price. See where i am going with all this?

I think tuner shops should do this... i get tired of waiting for my car there.
Old 04-13-2004, 05:32 PM
Cost Drivers!!!!

Originally posted by Crazy Sellout
You guys think too much.

Not everyone are able to get a loaner and for those who do get stuck at the dealership then wifi would be nice. Oil changes have never only lasted 30min... takes at least 45min at the dealers i been to.

Also what would be nice is if the dealer tells you that "this part" is causing the problems then i would like to come online and post about it and get fast answers. Lets face it... owners know more about the car than the dealers do.
Same would go if i was buying a car.. if iwant to buy a car and the salesman gave me a number, i would like to come online quickly and ask the owners to see if thats a fair price. See where i am going with all this?

I think tuner shops should do this... i get tired of waiting for my car there.

Well said!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!
Old 04-13-2004, 06:11 PM
Suzuka Master

I can see people going to the dealership and getting online before they buy the car and find a better deal...
Old 04-13-2004, 07:37 PM
Administrator Alumnus

Originally posted by Zapata
few things:

-Yer an old man not wired in.....younger crowd is wired out the ying-yang.

- Service departments FIX THINGS. :sqnteek: You read way too much into waiting room population. Part-time soothesayer?? Read the entrails of any pigs lately? No wonder weather forcasts are so wacky

- sitting is not a bad thing. Sitting with nothing to do and not being able to do anything is BAD.

Whatever, fartknocker.

I just don't see it personally. And it's not because I'm old. :P
Old 04-13-2004, 07:58 PM
Suzuka Master

Shit yea i would. I woudln't leave the dealership if i could get the Powerbook a power outlet and net access on WiFi.
Old 04-13-2004, 08:03 PM
Purchased: April 28, 2001

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts
I don't understand what the big deal is? EVERY dealer should have internet access to begin with. What's so hard about buying a $100 wireless router for a service that you have anyways?

I visited an Acura dealer in Las Vegas, and so far, of all the dealers I've been to, this one stood out like a gem! They have all the leather stuff laid out for people to want to lounge, they have an aftermarket area for people who are into that kind of stuff, and they have a dedicated internet room with a printer. Not alone a huge lot. I mean come on...Vegas is about glitz and glomour right...so just because this is a car dealership, it shouldn't be an exception.

Anyways...Having a dedicated computer with a printer for customers is already a necessity. Any on-the-go business person can benefit, as well as those that want quick directions from mapquest. What is so hard about adding 1 extra item so you can satisfy more types of people?
Old 04-13-2004, 08:13 PM
Suzuka Master

Originally posted by edgalang
I don't understand what the big deal is? EVERY dealer should have internet access to begin with. What's so hard about buying a $100 wireless router for a service that you have anyways?

I visited an Acura dealer in Las Vegas, and so far, of all the dealers I've been to, this one stood out like a gem! They have all the leather stuff laid out for people to want to lounge, they have an aftermarket area for people who are into that kind of stuff, and they have a dedicated internet room with a printer. Not alone a huge lot. I mean come on...Vegas is about glitz and glomour right...so just because this is a car dealership, it shouldn't be an exception.

Anyways...Having a dedicated computer with a printer for customers is already a necessity. Any on-the-go business person can benefit, as well as those that want quick directions from mapquest. What is so hard about adding 1 extra item so you can satisfy more types of people?
The one problem with just throwing in a wireless router is security. If your dealer doesn't have someone who knows how to properly secure their network with added wifi, they're going to have to have someone else do it. Which is why this is a viable idea.

All other things being equal, I would prefer the dealership with wifi. If they had a room with a comfortable couch or two i'd sit as long as my car took. But if it's some stiff-ass cheapo thing with no cushion... "FUCK YO COUCH, NIGGA" - Rick James. I might sit around for 5 minutes and make a "hey guys, i'm posting from the dealership, who wants to come pick me up?" thread. But that's about it.

To sum it up... comfy place to sit/lie down + wifi =

No wifi or wifi but nothing better than POS waiting room chairs = :thumbsdn:
Old 04-13-2004, 08:15 PM
Floyd Mayweather Jr.

Received 5 Likes on 3 Posts
Would I use it? Yes I would, an excellent way to kill time while waiting on an oil change. It sure the hell beats having to read old golf magazines.
Old 04-13-2004, 09:00 PM
///M POWER

i aint old enuff to get a loaner so i wouldnt mind
Old 04-13-2004, 09:33 PM
Race Director

Wi-fi is coming to your cellphone.
Old 04-13-2004, 10:12 PM
Got da Internet Goin Nutz

Received 3 Likes on 1 Post
Originally posted by kensteele
Thank you sir! Preciate the heads up! Can ya give anymore details?
Old 04-13-2004, 10:13 PM
Got da Internet Goin Nutz

Received 3 Likes on 1 Post
I would use it, but I think you may want to target the high end dealerships first.
Old 04-13-2004, 10:17 PM
Team Owner

Originally posted by kensteele
Let me guess….That will that be with Sprint in 2005 and Verizon in 2010 right ???
Old 04-13-2004, 10:51 PM
Happy CL-S Pilot

Today, I have been at a new Brake and Go Store in Hudson, NH. It is a new HUGE service place. To my surprise it was super clean and nice, the waiting area got free coffee//Tea station and a nice fast PC with 17" LCD screen connected to the interent via a High Speed connection.

I did a FREE state inspection for my CLS and Wasted sometime browsing the net and comparing prices of summer tires. The store Tire rep could not match tire rack prices... too bad, I will do it at another local store who does match tirerack.

It was nice to have a nice FREE "Internet Cafe" and FREE state inspection too!

Nashua
Old 04-13-2004, 11:17 PM

whats the big deal, this is not a major investment, the cost is next to nothing and it could only help the dealer.
Old 04-14-2004, 12:49 AM
Instructor

I am a Cisco guy.. i.e. we design and build this stuff... well.. to the more 'curious'... we buy, integrate and sell ... One of the reasons we are pushing this stuff so hard is because of the cell threat.. i.e. Fortunately by the time cell guys get their act together... we are close to offering voice service over WiFi.. . What I am trying to say... it is here to stay... and having access while we wait an hour or two sometimes.. when the dealer says will be ready in 30-45mins.. is great as well. Don't just do it for the customer.. automize the entire Dealership with a few Access points/i.e. wireless routers.. w/ security but of course.
I sat 2 hours... 'motionless'.. i.e. doughnuts pouring out of my ears... - I'd be more productive with net access.. or even im....

...so a resounding YES... baby.
Old 04-14-2004, 07:45 AM
My Home Planet

Received 4 Likes on 4 Posts
Yes
Old 04-14-2004, 11:36 AM
Masshole

Yes.

I usually wait for any service that's going to be less than 1.5 hours. In fact, the only service appointment that I've actually scheduled a loaner for was my 30k.

Having wifi would enable me to login to work from my laptop, which would be great.
Old 04-14-2004, 01:00 PM
Suzuka Master

Nah.... I would feel like a mooch with wifi....
But then again;
I just bring zip-lock baggies and steal all the crispy creme doughnuts I can fit into my winter jacket.....

j/k

I have been to the dealership 3 times in the past 2 yrs... I do not stay longer than 5 minutes.