icebox install

Search this Thread

Old 05-31-2006, 05:52 PM
Instructor

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
icebox install

I have a 2003 cls6 and I cant seem to find the install pictures and directions. Is it easier to take the bumper off or leave it on? Could some one send me a link?
Old 05-31-2006, 05:59 PM
'08 MX5 GT 6spd.

Received 1,192 Likes on 485 Posts
Originally Posted by jipper
I have a 2003 cls6 and I cant seem to find the install pictures and directions. Is it easier to take the bumper off or leave it on? Could some one send me a link?

to me it was easier to leave the bumper on.....install instructions should be on the Comptech website.
Old 05-31-2006, 06:35 PM
That's Racist

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
easier to leave it on. You can get into the "air collection" horn or whatever by removing your driver's side front wheel and pulling the shrouding away to the side real quick.

Taking the bumper to install intake just seems like too much of a hassle.
Old 05-31-2006, 06:39 PM
Team Owner

Received 249 Likes on 175 Posts
I installed mine without removing the bumper or the tire. If you get the angle right you can attach the horn to the lower box and slide the horn in the hole all together without needing to touch the bumper or even the tire. Took me 25 minutes to install and that includes 1 beer.
Old 05-31-2006, 08:56 PM
Blown is Best

Received 15 Likes on 14 Posts
Originally Posted by mrsteve
I installed mine without removing the bumper or the tire. If you get the angle right you can attach the horn to the lower box and slide the horn in the hole all together without needing to touch the bumper or even the tire. Took me 25 minutes to install and that includes 1 beer.

You are such a liar!!! I really doubt that only 1 beer was consumed in that 25 minutes
Old 05-31-2006, 09:48 PM
Team Owner

No just 1 beer. Now the ThermoBlock manifold spacer... that was more like 3-4 beers especially since I dropped a nut into the lower manifold
Old 06-01-2006, 03:34 AM
eh

Some of these guys have more experience working on cars than others

I took about 2 hours to do the install and left the bumper on.....I haven't tried taking the bumper off yet but it looks like a pain in the ass.
Old 06-04-2006, 03:27 PM
Instructor

do you really have to refill and bleed the coolant system after installing the icebox
Old 06-04-2006, 03:52 PM
'08 MX5 GT 6spd.

Received 1,192 Likes on 485 Posts
do you really have to refill and bleed the coolant system after installing the icebox
no
Old 06-04-2006, 04:17 PM
Instructor

Originally Posted by o2cls
no

just top it off if it needs it?
Old 06-04-2006, 09:55 PM
Instructor

How are they related?
Old 06-05-2006, 01:03 PM
Team Owner

Received 602 Likes on 419 Posts
Mine took me about 30 minutes, but I had a head start since I didn't have a stock intake installed. But that included 2 beers.

You don't have to take the bumper off or refill the coolant.
Old 06-06-2006, 09:14 PM
Instructor

ok I started to install the intake and it took a lot longer than I thought. It got dark on me so I will have to finish in the morning. Also Comptech instructions suck.
Old 06-06-2006, 09:52 PM
Team Owner

Comptech instructions seemed fine for me... for every product I've had on my cars including the supercharger.
Old 06-06-2006, 09:55 PM
Blown is Best

Received 15 Likes on 14 Posts
Originally Posted by mrsteve
Comptech instructions seemed fine for me... for every product I've had on my cars including the supercharger.
Same here. I feel that their instructions are pretty thorough. I've installed all my Comptech stuff myself and have never had a problem.
Old 06-06-2006, 10:07 PM
Instructor

well the ground wire you are suppose to move is not there and it was not clear where you are suppose to put the bracket. it also could use a paper cut out for where the plastic needs to be cut. it also doesn't show where you are suppose to use the small to large gromet. the front picture could be labled to let you know where it goes.
Old 06-07-2006, 10:21 AM
Team Owner

well the ground wire you are suppose to move is not there and it was not clear where you are suppose to put the bracket. it also could use a paper cut out for where the plastic needs to be cut. it also doesn't show where you are suppose to use the small to large gromet. the front picture could be labled to let you know where it goes.
Do you have the instructions?

Click for Comptech Icebox Installation

The bracket is on the lower half of the actual box that holds the filter. On the right side. There should be some wires grounded on the inside wall of the engine where that bracket needs to go. If someone moved those wires elsewhere, then you should still at least have the hole where the bolt goes. See page 3.

Attach the bracket to the lower half of the box, and place it where it should be in the engine bay. I know that you have to attach the bracket to the fender wall first, but this will show you where you should place it. Then line up the hole in the bottom of the box with the hole in the sub frame where the bolt goes. See page 3 of the instructions. It should be clear. If it isn't, then you need help.

As for the piece of the plastic shroud:

All you're really trying to do is make that right end of the shroud straight across, as opposed to having that end stick out. Take a ruler and place along the straight part of the shroud along the radiator support. Draw a line towards the end of the shroud where that support beam meets the fender. The piece above that line (nearer to the Icebox) is what you need to trim off.

What I did was remove the entire front piece. It's easy. I used a utility knife to cut a line on the bottom side to trim off the piece that sticks out. You don't have to cut all the way through. If you score a deap enough line, you can just bend it and it will snap off. I recommend cutting the bottom end because if you screw up any of the cuts, you won't ever see it.

Good luck.
Old 06-07-2006, 10:41 AM
Team Owner

The groud wires are supposed to be attached here (look at the very top of the photo) |
|
|
\/

Old 06-08-2006, 10:02 AM
Instructor

Originally Posted by RaviNJCLs
Do you have the instructions?

Click for Comptech Icebox Installation

The bracket is on the lower half of the actual box that holds the filter. On the right side. There should be some wires grounded on the inside wall of the engine where that bracket needs to go. If someone moved those wires elsewhere, then you should still at least have the hole where the bolt goes. See page 3.

Attach the bracket to the lower half of the box, and place it where it should be in the engine bay. I know that you have to attach the bracket to the fender wall first, but this will show you where you should place it. Then line up the hole in the bottom of the box with the hole in the sub frame where the bolt goes. See page 3 of the instructions. It should be clear. If it isn't, then you need help.

As for the piece of the plastic shroud:

All you're really trying to do is make that right end of the shroud straight across, as opposed to having that end stick out. Take a ruler and place along the straight part of the shroud along the radiator support. Draw a line towards the end of the shroud where that support beam meets the fender. The piece above that line (nearer to the Icebox) is what you need to trim off.

What I did was remove the entire front piece. It's easy. I used a utility knife to cut a line on the bottom side to trim off the piece that sticks out. You don't have to cut all the way through. If you score a deap enough line, you can just bend it and it will snap off. I recommend cutting the bottom end because if you screw up any of the cuts, you won't ever see it.

Good luck.
I finished it up the next morning. I just wasn't impressed with the directions thats all. That is a good idea about the shroud. Thanks
Old 06-23-2006, 12:59 AM
MP90 uninstalled

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts
icebox installed. I did not take the bumper off. it took me two hours with two beers. I did it in the dark with a flashlight in a parking lot. friends apartment. i just did the xspower header and am about to do the pulley. great product. car is faster. i lost so little coolant i did not purg or add fluid.

the header took about 6hrs. i broke some bolts from over torque. drank lots of beer.
Old 06-23-2006, 05:11 AM
Recently turned 18

Received 5 Likes on 5 Posts
ok I started to install the intake and it took a lot longer than I thought. It got dark on me so I will have to finish in the morning. Also Comptech instructions suck.
+1 on shitty instructions. Unclear about which new lines go where and what is to be moved/removed/etc. The intake itself is easy, it's the vacuum and coolant lines that had me scratching my head.
Old 06-23-2006, 01:02 PM
Drifting

Originally Posted by Blitz
+1 on shitty instructions. Unclear about which new lines go where and what is to be moved/removed/etc. The intake itself is easy, it's the vacuum and coolant lines that had me scratching my head.
you should see the instructions injen gives out..
Old 06-24-2006, 05:46 PM
Racer

the instructions on Comptechusa.com were IMO a little more helpful. Installation time took me about 3 hours, and I used a dremel to cut the plastic. Came out nice and clean.

Heres some pics :

[IMG][/IMG]

[IMG][/IMG]

[IMG][/IMG]
Old 11-10-2006, 04:24 PM
9th Gear

Glad the pics were posted. Going to be reduntant here, but had installed The Comptech CAI a month ago and installed by route of inner fender well/ plastic shroud removal. Very simple and also wanted to make note, also seeing HondaVtec21 did the same, by routing the coolant lines underneath the tube for a cleaner look. I knew it would take a while to install, so I sprayed the shroud, tubes, CAI box with duplicolor red metallic, before starting the work. By the time the pieces were to be installed, the paint was dry enough to install.

If anyone is interested the P/N for the plastic shroud from Honda is: #74117-S3M-A00.