I think my V1 is hosed...

Search this Thread

Old 07-10-2002, 08:05 AM
Administrator Alumnus

Received 131 Likes on 82 Posts
I think my V1 is hosed...

In the past few days, the directional arrows on my V1 have started to act wierd.

For example, while passing the areas where the V1 likes to chirp, before when I would be approaching the specific area, the arrow would point forward, then while passing the arrows would flash to the side, and then when it's behind me, I'd get the rear arrow.

Now, I ALWAYS get the side arrows. No forward arrow whatsoever when approaching or rear arrow when it's behind me.

And yesterday, a copper was behind we and my K band was braaaaaaaappppping like crazy. However, only the side arrows were illuminated, regardless of how close he was. Even when I was on my last braf, I still had side arrows, never the rear arrow.

The detection part seems ok, but the arrows seem a little out of whack. I'm going to try it without the remote display tonight and see if that could be the culprit.

Ideas? Should I call Mikey V.???
Old 07-10-2002, 11:19 AM
Cost Drivers!!!!

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Yes call see what they say. Other board member had a problem a while back and they did help alot.
Old 07-10-2002, 11:28 AM
Team Owner

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
I’ve had three different generations of V1 units since my first in 1992 and never had a problem.
I believe there is a way to RESET the “brain” in the unit using a certain combination of button pushes.
Check the manual and the FAQ’s on the Website.

If that doesn’t work, that’s what the warranty is for.

Shawn S
Old 07-10-2002, 11:43 AM
Administrator Alumnus

Well, I called and spoke with some lady there. She listened to what I had to say and without hesitation said "Send it back". So, I guess I'll have to pack up my beloved V1 and get her in the mail on Friday.

All I gotta pay for it the shipping out there. Not a bad deal, I guess... Turn around time is 2 business days once it arrives. So, I guess I can't speed for about a week or so.
Old 07-10-2002, 11:46 AM
Administrator Alumnus

Originally posted by Shawn S
I’ve had three different generations of V1 units since my first in 1992 and never had a problem.
I believe there is a way to RESET the “brain” in the unit using a certain combination of button pushes.
Check the manual and the FAQ’s on the Website.

If that doesn’t work, that’s what the warranty is for.

Shawn S
I didn't see anything on there for a hard reset.

At this point, I'm probably better off just sending it back and seeing what happens.
Old 07-10-2002, 12:19 PM
Race Director

Do the arrows light up during the test routine on power up?
Old 07-10-2002, 12:34 PM
Administrator Alumnus

Originally posted by kensteele
Do the arrows light up during the test routine on power up?
Um... I'll have to check tonight... What are you thinking Ken?
Old 07-10-2002, 12:58 PM
Burning Brakes

They are really good about taking care of their customers. I had a problem last year with the X band warning coming on and staying on. It was just out of warranty, I thought I'd have to pay, but I sent it back and they fixed it free anyway.

Only other problem I've had is getting the *%#@$#& suction cups to hold all the time. The unit is just a tad heavy for them.
Old 07-10-2002, 01:01 PM
Administrator Alumnus

Originally posted by Starter

Only other problem I've had is getting the *%#@$#& suction cups to hold all the time. The unit is just a tad heavy for them.
Try cleaning the suction cups with some soap and water... You may have a thin film on the cups that isn't allowing them to stick properly to the windshield.
Old 07-10-2002, 01:14 PM
Burning Brakes

Yeah, I do that. But on longer trips where you have to take it on and off a few times (like overnight trips or driving through Virginia - detectors illegal - and you pass a trooper) it's a pain.
Old 07-10-2002, 06:33 PM
Race Director

Originally posted by Scrib

Um... I'll have to check tonight... What are you thinking Ken?
The power-up session is a test session that tests the lights to see if they are working. That way you'll know if the unit is functioning properly with just a blown light or not.

But if you're going to send it back for a free repair...I guess it doesn't matter. The only probably I've had with my V1 was false alerts every 1-3 minutes for about 5 seconds each time; regardless. It was annoying on a recent roadtrip and I actually had to turn the volume all the way down and determine if it was really a cop if the false alerts lasted for more than 5 seconds. Free fix.
Old 07-10-2002, 07:53 PM
Administrator Alumnus

Yep, all the arrows light up upon start up.

I was driving home from work and I stopped at Walgreens to pick up some meds. I'm facing the store in my car, nothing behind me, and the side and back arrows are going, but NOT the front.

Then leaving the store, the K band goes off. Copper... and I see him behind me. Side arrows only...

Something is whacked... In for service she goes.

Thanks all!