I smell gas...BAD!!!

Search this Thread

Old 08-22-2004, 11:13 PM
Blown LS6!!

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
I smell gas...BAD!!!

About 2 weeks ago I started smelling gas when I came to a stop. When I exit the car, the smell is definitely coming from the rear of the car. I popped the hood and no smell of gas whatsoever.

I have an appointment Friday to have it looked at but do any of you have any ideas what it could be? My first thought was a leaking gas cap. When I use my sniffer though, it doesn't seem to come from there. My second thought is a leaking fuel pump. This would make sense since it has been replaced w/ the supercharger. I open the trunk and the smell does seem a bit stronger. Is there something I can do to pinpoint the problem or should I just not mess w/ fuel problems?
Old 08-22-2004, 11:19 PM
Bleed Honda Blue

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts
Originally Posted by Seattle Cl-S
My first thought was a leaking gas cap. When I use my sniffer though, it doesn't seem to come from there. My second thought is a leaking fuel pump. This would make sense since it has been replaced w/ the supercharger. I open the trunk and the smell does seem a bit stronger. Is there something I can do to pinpoint the problem or should I just not mess w/ fuel problems?
Fuel pump is in the fuel tank. The fuel pump access cap in your trunk should have a seal and I don't think gas fumes is going to get through there. My guess is a plastic bag stuck on your exhaust pipe and is burning.
Old 08-23-2004, 12:09 AM
Blown LS6!!

I figured the fuel pump was in the tank. That doesn't mean the connections aren't leaking...or the seal isn't leaking. Thanks for the help though...I guess.
Old 08-23-2004, 07:58 PM
Drifting

Received 9 Likes on 6 Posts
not good bro...hope they find out the source quick

in the meantime, no hittin up the :blaze: while drivin!
Old 08-23-2004, 08:10 PM
Drifting

did you top it off recently? i don't know about the cl, but some cars have charcoal filled canister to catch gasoline vapors. if one tops off, gasoline gets in there and will become a source of the odor. oh, and it ruins the charcoal.
Old 08-24-2004, 11:35 AM
Instructor

if it's coming from the back and you don't see any fuel on the ground under the car after parking for several hours it's probably a vacuum line. either fell off or has a split. or a broken "T" of "L" fitting. somewhere near the tank would be a good guess.

the easiest way to find it will cause a pretty spectular fire. so i don't recommend it.

if the dis-service center isn't any help you'll have to get under the car and try to follow fuel & vacuum lines from the tank and check for loose connections, split vacuum lines, or broken fittings. it's quite a chore on these cars since they're so compact. some of the lines run through channels and conduits in the body and frame. it'll take a bit of patience. and a good shop manual.

good luck. let us know if the dis-service center finds anything. or if you figure it out yourself.
Old 08-24-2004, 05:21 PM
Blown LS6!!

I took out the trunk liner on Sunday and opened the cover to the fuel pump. I tightened down all of the bolts holding the pump. Since then I haven't had any odor. I took the car to Lynnwood Acura on Monday just to be sure and they didn't see any leaks nor could they smell any gas. I think I fixed it myself!!
Old 08-24-2004, 05:44 PM
Dan
Safety Car

Received 220 Likes on 127 Posts
I took out the trunk liner on Sunday and opened the cover to the fuel pump. I tightened down all of the bolts holding the pump. Since then I haven't had any odor. I took the car to Lynnwood Acura on Monday just to be sure and they didn't see any leaks nor could they smell any gas. I think I fixed it myself!!
Do you do transmissions?
Old 08-24-2004, 08:29 PM
'07 November = STI

nice DIY.. hehehe
Old 03-22-2006, 06:29 AM
Banned

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts
How's the gas odor issue? I ask as I have a similar problem: I notice a gas smell after I park my car in the garage. It doesn't appear to be coming from the engine, possibly more from the right side somewhere. Only 14K miles and 2 1/2 years old so I don't think any lines are cracked from age/use. Will take it to the dealer if it continues - maybe it will just go away.
Old 03-22-2006, 07:23 AM
Team Owner

Received 602 Likes on 419 Posts
Originally Posted by Sweeper
How's the gas odor issue? I ask as I have a similar problem: I notice a gas smell after I park my car in the garage. It doesn't appear to be coming from the engine, possibly more from the right side somewhere. Only 14K miles and 2 1/2 years old so I don't think any lines are cracked from age/use. Will take it to the dealer if it continues - maybe it will just go away.
You may want to start a new thread. This one is a year and a half old. I would take it in and see what the dealer has to say.
Old 03-22-2006, 08:29 AM
Senior Moderator

Received 223 Likes on 184 Posts
Originally Posted by DRM600
did you top it off recently? i don't know about the cl, but some cars have charcoal filled canister to catch gasoline vapors. if one tops off, gasoline gets in there and will become a source of the odor. oh, and it ruins the charcoal.
Actually, this works with the purge solonoid valve. If the valve doesn't work it creates excess gas fumes. The fumes get soaked up by the charcoal canister if the system is working right.