I know what the mystery mod from RC Acura!!

Search this Thread

Old 08-29-2001, 01:49 AM
Happy CL-S Pilot

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
I know what the mystery mod from RC Acura!!

Horray,

I just found out what is the new top secret mod from RC Acura/doug/SynCivic...

It's just a Cam gear.

How I do know, SynCivic confessed to me and all back on June 6, 2001!!!

Here is the proof .... http://www.acura-cl.com/cgi-bin/ulti...c&f=1&t=006408

Just read what he was saying about his prototype back in early June.

[ 08-28-2001: Message edited by: Nashua_Night_Hawk ]
Old 08-29-2001, 01:57 AM
teh Senior Instigator

Location: Huntington Beach, CA -> Ashburn, VA -> Raleigh, NC -> Walnut Creek, CA
Received 978 Likes on 330 Posts
i figured thats what it was
Old 08-29-2001, 02:01 AM
The Creator

Received 8 Likes on 3 Posts
Slimy ass sleuth!

How bout a simple description of what a cam gear is and why this new cam gear would be beneficial (besides the obvious)
Old 08-29-2001, 02:02 AM
Racer

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
very possible
Old 08-29-2001, 02:43 AM
RedLineTypeS

A few of us guessed cam gears or cams BUT this is not a few minute job its tighter then a mosquitos azz to get in there and take 2-3 hours to install... plus one fock up and bye bye engine so is not something for do-it-yourselfers to try.... this contradicts everything syncivic said.. plus you cant patent a cam gear unless its a new "type" /class/ design altogether.....
Old 08-29-2001, 02:53 AM
Racer

when is this guy going to tell us already
Old 08-29-2001, 02:55 AM
Suzuka Master

Originally posted by soopa:
<STRONG>Slimy ass sleuth!

How bout a simple description of what a cam gear is and why this new cam gear would be beneficial (besides the obvious)</STRONG>

soopa I had the exact same question yesturday. I was taking to magnetic since he said he was getting cams/head for his vette and achieving like 100hp i was wondering what they do. He also guessed it was going to be cams.

heres how they work
http://www.howstuffworks.com/camshaft.htm
Old 08-29-2001, 03:01 AM
Banned

Hmmm RAdams personally said to me it isn't a cam...
Old 08-29-2001, 03:12 AM
Pro

not cams but cam gears, basically what they allow you to do is advance the timming on your valve train, allowing your valves to be open earleir (i think) but i do know that prober adjustment is essential b/c 1.if our valves are open too much at the wrong time the valves can tap the piston. and 2 if the gear slips while you are driving your cam is no longer moving and what happend in the first scenerio will happen
Old 08-29-2001, 02:21 PM
Nightbane

Originally posted by NOVAwhiteTypeS:
<STRONG>

http://www.howstuffworks.com/camshaft.htm</STRONG>

This website ROCKS!
Old 08-29-2001, 02:59 PM
Nightbane

Originally posted by WI CL TypeS:
<STRONG>

This website ROCKS!</STRONG>
I'd like to append previous post! That website was not the one I was thinking of and it does NOT rock. Stupid @#%@#$%@#$% pop up adds!
Old 08-29-2001, 03:02 PM
Banned

Hey... that illustration is so helpful!
Old 08-29-2001, 03:25 PM
FvCK KNvCKLE

Originally posted by WI CL TypeS:
<STRONG>

I'd like to append previous post! That website was not the one I was thinking of and it does NOT rock. Stupid @#%@#$%@#$% pop up adds!</STRONG>
http://www.panicware.com/product_dpps.html
Try this!
Old 08-29-2001, 11:49 PM
Suzuka Master

Originally posted by NYREP1:
<STRONG>not cams but cam gears, basically what they allow you to do is advance the timming on your valve train, allowing your valves to be open earleir (i think) but i do know that prober adjustment is essential b/c 1.if our valves are open too much at the wrong time the valves can tap the piston. and 2 if the gear slips while you are driving your cam is no longer moving and what happend in the first scenerio will happen</STRONG>

You know there are ways to add a centrifugal device to a cam pulley (and other devices) that will allow an ingenious person to "tweak" the cam timing (at different speeds).

For example, if a "replacement" cam gear was made in such a fashion that it a "device" to vary the cam angle depending on speed (think old time centrifugal advance distributor) it would be possible to add the equivalent of the new variable cam timing that Nissan, BMW, and others are using and that Honda/Acura are coming out with.

Our car does have the nice three-lobe system (two low speed/low duration/low lift lobes for swirl/single and single HOT lobe for high speeds), but it DOESN'T have a VARI-CAM….

So, if someone was cleaver enough, they could device a suitable device to allow the "cam advance gear" to change the timing with speed and with SAFETY...

(BTW -- all while keeping the "timing" pulse controlled...)
Old 08-30-2001, 12:31 AM
Racer

I'm with RedLineTypeS, syncivic said was simple few minute install. Since we have 2 cam gears this would take a couple of hours at least and with my experience racing my CL-S I think our cars are very well balanced! A cam gear runs by a belt off the crank and is attached to the cams which open and close the intake and exhaust valves. I need to make a minor correction of a previous post of how to adjust cam timing. Advancing cam will increase power in low range and retarding the cam will increase power in the upper rpm range! Again, I feel our cars are very will balanced right from the factory. Maybe advancing our cams 2* might help a little. I would be curious what a dyno would show. But then real world tuning would be see how fast in 1/4m to double check to see if advancing cam made it faster!
Old 08-30-2001, 02:16 AM
Suzuka Master

Originally posted by blazerbob1:
<STRONG>I'm with RedLineTypeS, syncivic said was simple few minute install. Since we have 2 cam gears this would take a couple of hours at least and with my experience racing my CL-S I think our cars are very well balanced! A cam gear runs by a belt off the crank and is attached to the cams which open and close the intake and exhaust valves. I need to make a minor correction of a previous post of how to adjust cam timing. Advancing cam will increase power in low range and retarding the cam will increase power in the upper rpm range! Again, I feel our cars are very will balanced right from the factory. Maybe advancing our cams 2* might help a little. I would be curious what a dyno would show. But then real world tuning would be see how fast in 1/4m to double check to see if advancing cam made it faster! </STRONG>

I'm not saying THIS IS THE MOD OR NOT -- just that the "idea" of a variable cam is a good idea. You are still thinking FIXED timing – I’m saying make the gear alter the advance-retard of the cam as a function of speed (or other parameters). You are thinking about a fixed timing gear.

If was a BAD idea, why would the next generation of Hondas/Acuras be coming with:

"2.0-liter DOHC i-VTEC engine
A newly developed 2.0-liter DOHC i-VTEC engine combines Honda's original VTEC (Variable Timing Electronic Control) technology with VTC (Variable Timing Control) to achieve highly intelligent engine performance. (*2) Other features including a variable-length intake manifold system, a rear dual exhaust system, a lean-burn NOx-adsorbing catalyzer (front-wheel drive version), and a lower secondary balancer combine to help the engine realize high power output (113kW) 154PS (front-wheel drive version), good fuel economy (14.2 km/liter), cleaner emissions, and quiet operation, not to mention powerful acceleration and sporty running. Further, a newly designed engine structure has allowed the engine to be made approximately 10% more lightweight and compact than Honda's conventional 2-liter engines.

VTC uses a hydraulically controlled actuator gear on the intake camshaft to vary exactly when they open (their "phase") based on information from electronic driving- condition sensors.

The above is an excerpt from the following Honda link:
http://world.honda.com/news/2000/4001026_2.html

So, now image that someone decides to have a "retrofit" gear with an internal or external mod to VARY the advance and retard of the CAM with speed.

All that I'm saying is that it could be a great idea for VTEC cars -- since there are a ton of VTEC's WITHOUT variable cam timing, there is room for improvement.

Now, add in the fact that modification such as headers, intake, stroking all change the intake valve-timing requirement at a given speed and you have something. Of course, the devil is in the details to make it a simple retrofit for cars with low CARB costs.

There is some other non-cam related stuff that is used in Formula 1 and in older cars that could also be used (and not at great expense)...

[ 08-30-2001: Message edited by: EricL ]
Old 08-30-2001, 02:23 AM
Racer

EricL, Was just giving a basic explanation of what a cam gear is to answer Soopas question!
Old 08-30-2001, 02:24 AM
Lead Footed

Received 15 Likes on 12 Posts
63 days and counting.

Gentlemen, save your pennies.

And if your not interested when the time comes, get a treat for your baby. Ride that is. :p

RUF
Old 08-30-2001, 02:28 AM
Suzuka Master

<STRONG>EricL, Was just giving a basic explanation of what a cam gear is to answer Soopas question! </STRONG>

<font size=+4>OK</font>
Old 08-30-2001, 02:58 AM
Coming to a city near you

Received 16 Likes on 15 Posts
<STRONG> Since we have 2 cam gears this would take a couple of hours at least and with my experience racing my CL-S I think our cars are very well balanced! </STRONG>
we are SOHC not DOHC, so don't we only have 1 cam gear?
Old 08-30-2001, 03:18 AM
Racer

Achance, our cars have overhead cams so due to 2heads we do have 2 cams, 2 cam pulleys! 4 cylinder Acura/Honda has one head, but with DOHC will have 2 cams per head! Do you begin to get the picture?! Older American V-8 and V-6 have 2 heads but are not overhead cam like our CL-S!
Old 08-30-2001, 01:13 PM
magnet

hello thats what i said a while ago he told me that and i told you guys that like 2-3 months ago i told you he was making the red valve covers and cam gears
Old 08-30-2001, 01:19 PM
Happy CL-S Pilot

But can you install the cam gears (pulley) in 5 minutes. By looking at helms manual, it could take much longer...
Old 08-30-2001, 02:03 PM
Coming to a city near you

Received 16 Likes on 15 Posts
<STRONG>Achance, our cars have overhead cams so due to 2heads we do have 2 cams, 2 cam pulleys! 4 cylinder Acura/Honda has one head, but with DOHC will have 2 cams per head! Do you begin to get the picture?! Older American V-8 and V-6 have 2 heads but are not overhead cam like our CL-S! </STRONG>
Gotcha, I forgot we are a V6
Old 08-30-2001, 02:55 PM
Racer

Nashua-Night-Hawk: No! To install 2 cam gears would probably take up to 2hrs. Would be curious to what a dyno would show by advancing our cams by 2* as our power really begins to kick in 5000+rpm! Right now our engine is still pulling strong at redline and also wish could move up that rev-limiter to 7500! Just give us some time and hopefully in the future we will be able to perhaps make some gains in area of cam timing!