I know it's been asked a hundred times...

Search this Thread

Old 05-17-2003, 10:31 PM
7th Gear

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
I know it's been asked a hundred times...

Does anyone know the Polarg bulb number I need to replace some of my bulbs?

Reverse lights #? (brightest white bulbs)
Front parking lights #? (amber bulbs)
Front side marker lights #? (brightest white bulbs)
High beam lights #? (which brand is best for this-brightest)
Dome light #?
Brake lights #?

Is there a seperate rear turnsignal bulb....I am not sure exactly how many bulbs there are in the rear all together...can someone tell me that please?
Old 05-17-2003, 10:50 PM
Happy CL-S Pilot

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
I failed the yearly inspection due to the non-DOT 9005 headlights... I pluged in the stock lamps and I passed.

Now is the PIAA or Polarg DOT Approved... DOes it have the 3 letters DOT on the lamp's connector itself?
Old 05-18-2003, 06:00 PM
7th Gear

^Bump!
Old 05-18-2003, 08:46 PM
What, me drive fast?

PIAA are approved and they come with a sticker that says so. BUT, the super Xtreme extra special wow white bulbs are not so much whiter than stock even though they have the blue tip. I have compared them to Bulldogs and I wouldn't but them again considering that you have to pay for the DOT okay. For two with shipping it was around $50.

I was hoping for better but they are a little but whiter. Who else sees your highbeams though?
Old 05-18-2003, 09:05 PM
Happy CL-S Pilot

I guess.. I will stick with the stock one.. I will do the same for my wife's Sienna headlights.

NO DOT approval means:

1) Faill yearly Tech inspection.
2) Risking a ticket for non DOT headlights.

Yeah... It does not matter you may use the headbeams like 1% of the time.
Old 05-18-2003, 09:22 PM
Buckle Up

Polarg M6 Road Lamps, PIAA 19224 Driving Lights
Polarg M4 Door Lamps, PIAA 19172 Door Lights
Polarg M4 Map Lights, PIAA 19172 Map Lights
Polarg M12 Turn,
Polarg M13 Reverse Lamps, PIAA 19225 Reverse Lights
Polarg M16 Dome Light, PIAA 19223 Dome Light

PIAA 19172 Trunk Light
PIAA 19172 Rear License Plate Light
PIAA 19615 High Beams

anyone concur?
Old 05-18-2003, 09:35 PM
Go Gators

hey, I have the same questions. I cleared my lights with the rick's clear corners...and I need to know if they make clear bulbs that glow amber?

If so, and even if not, what bulb do I replace the rear turn signals with, and what bulbs do I replace with the bulb behind the diffuser in our headlights?
Old 05-20-2003, 02:17 PM
7th Gear

Polarg M12 are not Amber....what do you do to the front turn signals to make them Amber?
Old 05-20-2003, 02:38 PM
'Cooter

Originally posted by monkeymato
Polarg M6 Road Lamps, PIAA 19224 Driving Lights
Polarg M4 Door Lamps, PIAA 19172 Door Lights
Polarg M4 Map Lights, PIAA 19172 Map Lights
Polarg M12 Turn, PIAA 19228
Polarg M13 Reverse Lamps, PIAA 19225 Reverse Lights
Polarg M16 Dome Light, PIAA 19223 Dome Light

PIAA 19172 Trunk Light
PIAA 19172 Rear License Plate Light
PIAA 19615 High Beams

anyone concur?
Old 05-20-2003, 02:40 PM
PACDAT

doesnt have to be polarg M12... to get the front signal amber bulbs just look for any M12 sized amber dual filament bulb. dual filament means 2 circles on the bottom of it = stays on and blinks when required.
Old 05-20-2003, 02:43 PM
'Cooter

Originally posted by OscarCL3.2
hey, I have the same questions. I cleared my lights with the rick's clear corners...and I need to know if they make clear bulbs that glow amber?

If so, and even if not, what bulb do I replace the rear turn signals with, and what bulbs do I replace with the bulb behind the diffuser in our headlights?

notice how different the turny's r from the sidemarkers, even tho they're both Xtreme white PIAA's

o yeah, it was raining at the time of the pics, so there's nothing wrong with the pics
Old 05-20-2003, 03:01 PM
Advanced

you can also use Polarg M4 for both the rear license plate light and the trunk light.

anyone got a pic of what the high beams look like using hyper white.
Old 05-20-2003, 03:53 PM
ASM I.S. Design FTW.

Received 4 Likes on 3 Posts
does anyone know where i can get a bulb that "matches" the HID light better than the stock side blinker bulb? or what size and what brand makes it?
Old 05-20-2003, 04:36 PM
Health's Angels

How about the "fog" lights?

My fog lights are the regular kind...is there a bulb available which has the same colour/whiteness as the xenon ones in the headlights?
Thanks
G
Old 05-21-2003, 12:52 AM
7th Gear

I used the Polarg M6 in my fog lights...It took less than 10 mins to install and it looks really close to the HID headlamps.

Ok...so now I want to put a new bulb in my reverse lights and in my front turn signals.

Which is the reverse light bulb in Polarg?
I am still confused about the front turn signal...I know it is a dual filament bulb like the Polarg M12 but that bulb is Clear...what model number is amber?
Old 05-21-2003, 07:01 AM
'Cooter

Originally posted by brianlin87
does anyone know where i can get a bulb that "matches" the HID light better than the stock side blinker bulb? or what size and what brand makes it?
u can't...white LED's still have too much of a blue hue to em...the ones above are the PIAA 19228's, which r XTreme White bulbs, but as u can plainly see, it doesn't match well at all, but it's the best i can find to the HID color...as an alternative, u could always stick to the amber bulbs, HOWEVER, there r bulbs now that are silver in color that still light up amber, which is kind of a bonus b/c 1, it's still DOT legal, and 2, it's not so much of an eyesoar to look at day or night when not in use

i've given it a lot of thought, and since i've tried so many different combo's of bulbs, im too lazy to try the above silver coated amber-lit bulbs...maybe down the road i'll swap yet again
Old 05-21-2003, 07:09 AM
'Cooter

Re: How about the "fog" lights?

Originally posted by GINge!
My fog lights are the regular kind...is there a bulb available which has the same colour/whiteness as the xenon ones in the headlights?
Thanks
G
closest bulbs to HID color are the 18watt PIAA 19224 and Polarg M6

here's a few comparo pics between these 2 bulbs taken 2/1/03...black CL has M6 and red CL has PIAA...

these pics don't do much justice, however, in person, they look about 99% identicle...that 1% difference really translates to the focus of the beam...the Polarg is a lil more focussed like an LED straight out, while the PIAA has a more scattered spectrum...if u wanna get REALLY technical, that translates to the Polarg POTENTIALLY having a slight advantage in the ability to light up the surface of the road below, but it's like such a miniscule amount, it's not worth discussing really
Old 05-21-2003, 07:37 AM
Health's Angels

Thanks!
G
Old 05-22-2003, 07:56 AM
7th Gear

Still have no idea how you guys are getting M12's that are amber.
The Polarg M12's are clear(hyperwhite) and the front turns are amber.
How do I upgrade these front turns?
Old 05-22-2003, 09:06 AM
'Cooter

Originally posted by lava96

How do I upgrade these front turns?
good question...there r 2 possibilities...1 is quick but risky, while the other is labor intensive, time consuming, but it's a sure-fire guarantee to b risk-free

Quick and risky way: peel back the fenderwell splash guard by unscrewing the 10mm bolt and popping off the black clip on the front corner of the bumper (located about a foot away from the bolt)...take a flashlight and look up inside to find the back of the headlight housing...study the sheetmetal frame and look for the gap on the extreme sides...there should b 2 sets of wires, one on top of the other...the top set is the turny's while the bottom set is the sidemarker...i believe u gotta turn the base counterclockwise a 1/4 turn to unscrew it, then pull out...the bulb needs to b depressed and also turned to get out...replace with the PIAA/Polarg and reverse everything...why risky?? b/c yer practically blinded doing this and yer hands ren't in the most comfy positions to b useful...plus, when yer replacing the bulb, yer gonna b knocking the bulbs around most likely, which means possible breakage or chipping of the blue coating

Time consuming way: this requires removal of the bumper cover and the headlight housings themselves...y??? so u can replace the bulbs slowly, minimize damaging the bulbs to nothing, and u have full use of yer hands/arms...to take off bumper cover, remove 10mm bolts and 4 black clips (2 on the corners and 2 towards the middle tucked in a lil...u'll see them when u look underneath the car)...then go to where the bumper cover meets the front fender right on the edge of the wheel well and look up...there will b a single phillips-head screw holding the 2 panels together...take those out...now, pop the hood...remove all the black clips holding the black protector to the frame...take off protector...then remove the 3 silver fat screws right in the center of the frame...after all that, yer ready to remove the bumper cover...start on either side of the car and give the cover a good pull...remember, the cover is urethane, so it's got some flexibility to it, so don't b afraid to give it a yank...work it up and down if it's not coming out...assuming u do both sides successfully, go to the front and start pulling while moving up and down (it kinda helps to remove the road lamps as this gives u a handle to work with leverage-wise...when the cover comes loose, it'll weigh about 15 pounds i think, so it's really light...set it down somewhere and take a breather...now yer ready to remove the housings...

study the housings a lil...there r 5 10mm bolts to remove (3 gold and 2 silver)...here's where Amir's turny clicky thing with a long extension is REALLY helpful...2 of the bolts r tucked in tight, as shown below

the other 3 are located...

once u remove all 5 bolts (the black brackets underneath the housings will also come off), slowly take out the housing...disconnect all wires from the HID, high beams, turny's and sidemarker so the housing is completely mobile...replace the bulbs as stated above and reconnect everything...just to double check, i like to put a couple bolts back on and test the lights just to make sure they all work before putting everything back together...assuming they do, silver bolts go on first before attacking the gold bolts simply b/c the brackets CAN b a bit of a pain...as yer putting the gold bolts back on, make sure the black brackets ren't flush against the bottom of the housing, otherwise, u won't b able to get the bumper cover back on...i guage the distance from the housing to b as follows: i take my index finger and slide it under the front and side tabs on the bracket to just about the first knuckle...that provided me with a snug, almost too snug fit...i just didn't want too much of a gap between the cover and the housing to show...when u've tightened all the bolts, take the bumper cover and mount the front portion back on first...then do one side first, make sure it fits secure in the front, then work yer way back and work the side portion back into place (this may require some up and down wiggling, but u'll know when it goes in the right way...repeat the other side, then start putting the screws, clips, and bolts back on their respective places...and that's that

in summary, this job could take u 10 - 15 minutes, or it could take u a couple hours, depending on what u wanna do and how comfy u feel
Old 05-22-2003, 05:33 PM
7th Gear

OK....everyone is missing my point.
I cannot find Polarg M12's that are amber. All the places online that I can find Polard M12's shows a pic of hyperwhite bulbs.

1). Where can I find replacement bulbs for my front turn signal that is amber? What Polarg bulb is the amber front turn signal bulb?

2). What is the bulb for my reverse lamp? Brightest one you know of...

Thanks
Old 05-22-2003, 06:18 PM
'Cooter

Originally posted by lava96
OK....everyone is missing my point.
I cannot find Polarg M12's that are amber. All the places online that I can find Polard M12's shows a pic of hyperwhite bulbs.

1). Where can I find replacement bulbs for my front turn signal that is amber? What Polarg bulb is the amber front turn signal bulb?

2). What is the bulb for my reverse lamp? Brightest one you know of...

Thanks
1, i don't get u...u want the STOCK amber bulb or that silver coated amber bulb????

2, reverse bulb i use is the PIAA 19225...pretty friggin bright
Old 05-22-2003, 09:35 PM
7th Gear

OK...thanks for the reverse light number...do you know which Polarg bulb that would be for reverse?

For fron turn signals I want the Polarg bulb....maybe it's just me, but in every picture of the bulbs online the Polarg M12 looks hyperwhite...not amber. Is it really amber and I just can't tell?

ALL I WANT IS THE 2 FRONT TURN SIGNALS AND THE 2 REVERSE LIGHTS...THATS ALL