I knew there was a problem with the SC

Search this Thread

Old 11-01-2002, 04:43 PM
Suzuka Master

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
I knew there was a problem with the SC

a few months ago i posted a problem with accessing the front spark plugs with the SC installed. After examining the layout and placement of the blower i knew you couldnt just remove the front spark plugs without actually taking the blower off.

here is my proof

http://www.comptechusa.com/cgi-bin/f...m=24&topic=121

i know its not a BIG problem just make sure that u install the new spark plugs prior to the SC and i dont know how u are going to change them after a while????

sidemarker
Old 11-01-2002, 05:26 PM
Evil Bob Knieval

Received 7 Likes on 5 Posts
the guy from comptech that drove the supercharged 6 speed to our west coast meet said that if you ever have to change the spark plugs, then buy a new car

change them BEFORE you put the charger in and you'll never change them again....
Old 11-01-2002, 05:52 PM
Suzuka Master

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Originally posted by TypeSDragoon
the guy from comptech that drove the supercharged 6 speed to our west coast meet said that if you ever have to change the spark plugs, then buy a new car

change them BEFORE you put the charger in and you'll never change them again....
Denso Iridiums will need to be replaced with 100K plugs before install...
Old 11-01-2002, 08:03 PM
the last one alive

Aren't the stock NGK Platinums also 100k intervals?
Old 11-01-2002, 08:27 PM
Suzuka Master

Originally posted by Simpleman
Aren't the stock NGK Platinums also 100k intervals?
Yep!
Old 11-01-2002, 09:02 PM
Suzuka Master

Iridium note from Denso's site:

See BOLD BLACK vs. BOLD RED highlighted areas. (There could be OEM Iridiums in newer models or OEM models that could easily go 100K+ miles) [Check first and make sure]

Q. How long will Iridium Last?
A. Iridium use represents the most significant technological advance in automotive spark plug manufacturing, since platinum was introduced in the early eighties. As vehicle manufacturers produce increasingly complex and efficient automobiles, there is a greater need for long-life plugs that can tolerate leaner fuel mixtures and improved combustion processes. DENSO has responded to this need by developing its Iridium alloy, originally for OE applications. For example, many newer Lexus’ and Toyota models carry an ultra long-life Iridium plug variation (.7mm with platinum tipped ground) that is capable of up to 120,000 miles of service. DENSO Iridium Power plugs, with their .4mm center electrode, have been developed for performance applications. Because gradual wear will “round-off” firing points over time, the concentrated firing power and voltage requirement benefits will be reduced. For this reason, DENSO advises replacement after 30,000 miles.
Old 11-01-2002, 09:06 PM
A-CL Post Whore w/N2O

Do you think that a S/C'd 3.2 will last 100K?
Old 11-01-2002, 09:20 PM
Suzuka Master

Originally posted by dustbuster4
If it's a 6-speed and the driver doesn't treat the gearbox like jackhammer -- sure!
Old 11-01-2002, 09:59 PM
Suzuka Master

Originally posted by EricL
Denso Iridiums will need to be replaced with 100K plugs before install...
im sorry those denso iridiums will not last 100k. 40k at most

sidemarker
Old 11-01-2002, 11:27 PM
fellow MASShole

Originally posted by dustbuster4
hahah i doubt it

MaCe
Old 11-02-2002, 02:33 AM
Suzuka Master

Two "flavors" of Denso Iridium plugs...

Originally posted by sidemarker

I said, "Denso Iridiums will need to be replaced with 100K plugs before install"

I did look a bit further and that statment I made is only relevant to the Densos that are commonly bought here for preformance purposes.

sidemarker

AS the note above indicated there are TWO "general" types of Denso plugs. The 0.4mm tip (the ones commonly bought and sold for performance and gas mileage reasons) need to be changed sometime after 30K.

If you were referring to the 0.4 mm tip models, I would agree will you!

There has been a move towards using the Iridium in OEM plugs that are specifically designed for extended service life; they will will last 100K or more miles (as long or longer than the platinum plugs). (Scalbert thought he might have some NGK Iridium plugs used as OEM plugs in his 6-speed manual, so perhaps someone should ask him about their designation and service life. The "blurb" from Denso has a bit more information regarding the two different types of Iridium plugs!
Old 11-02-2002, 08:21 AM
Pro

Originally posted by sidemarker

sidemarker
Quite frankly, you'd be pretty foolish to even leave the platinum plugs in an engine for 100k miles (even without a supercharger)!

You're talking an aluminum head and a steel plug. At 100k miles, be prepared for them being welded into the head. Of course they come out, but with extra threads. Not a pretty sight.

For the price of platinum, I swap mine every 30k miles. Shit, it's cheap insurance (compared to pulling and tapping a head!)

Don't believe me? I pulled the O2 sensor on my truck (had around 20k miles -- I broke it during the header install). The sensor came out, the threads did not (the sensor was aluminum). Not cool!

Old 11-02-2002, 11:08 AM
Suzuka Master

uh how do you know if your need to replace them? any way other than taking one out ?
Old 11-02-2002, 11:12 AM
Safety Car

Imagine stripping the lugs on the head while taking the rear exhaust manifold out!?! That would be a pain in the ass on this car!
Old 11-02-2002, 06:36 PM
Pro

Originally posted by NOVAwhiteTypeS
uh how do you know if your need to replace them? any way other than taking one out ?
Those platinum plugs will last the recommended interval. I pulled the double platinum's (platinum on the center conductor as well as the electrode) out of my truck (30k miles), and they were still perfectly gapped, so one could say they were fine to use. It's just that welding thing I don't like!

You pretty much have to pull them to really know. Copper ones burn off really fast, and that's the reason they don't offer them in new vehicles (they keep pushing that 100k mile tuneup interval).

Platinum's are pretty cheap (less than $15US for 6), so even if you changed them every other year, it's pretty cheap maintainence.
Old 11-02-2002, 06:37 PM
Pro

Originally posted by allmotor_2000
Imagine stripping the lugs on the head while taking the rear exhaust manifold out!?! That would be a pain in the ass on this car!
That's one of those things you pretend you never said, and try to forget about!
Old 11-02-2002, 08:48 PM
Banned

Hmm, I'd feel more comfortable with Copper plugs on a blower car. Also, why cant you just take the blower off and change the plugs. Compromise/extra effort is all part of the mod game.
Old 11-02-2002, 09:28 PM
Pro

Originally posted by Pull_T
Hmm, I'd feel more comfortable with Copper plugs on a blower car. Also, why cant you just take the blower off and change the plugs. Compromise/extra effort is all part of the mod game.
It usually is recommended to have copper plugs in a S/C application (from the Mustang and T/A guys). Odd thing is the Ford F-150 Lightning (supercharged) comes with Platinum plugs, so who knows.

I've heard that the extra heat from the blower causes the platinum to splatter, which can lead to cylinder wall scoring. I know the platinum plugs I pulled out of my supercharger truck did have some splatter, but I was running the OEM heat range, and I should have been running one heat range cooler.

Sure it would be a little more of a bitch to pull the blower off to change plugs, but the install is really simple, so it's not that bad. It's not like you change them out every month.
Old 11-03-2002, 12:00 AM
BC
nearsighted visionary

When you change your plugs, use a dab of Jet-lube SS-30 pure copper high temp anti seize lubricant. Service rating minus 65 degrees F to 1800 degrees F. End of "welding" fears. Anti-seize ya.
Old 11-03-2002, 10:06 AM
Pro

Originally posted by BC
When you change your plugs, use a dab of Jet-lube SS-30 pure copper high temp anti seize lubricant. Service rating minus 65 degrees F to 1800 degrees F. End of "welding" fears. Anti-seize ya.
I have in the past (I still use it), but I have had a bitch of time removing plugs from a cast head with the anti-seize. I don't know if it glues in instead. Of course, removing plugs that are glued versus welded is waaayyy better.

I've just read/heard from many sources that after 100k miles they aren't coming out (with or without anti-seize). I've never experienced it, so who knows. Plugs are cheap, and heads are expensive, so I just swap them earlier.
Old 11-05-2002, 05:06 AM
Suzuka Master

Originally posted by Wires
Quite frankly, you'd be pretty foolish to even leave the platinum plugs in an engine for 100k miles (even without a supercharger)!

You're talking an aluminum head and a steel plug. At 100k miles, be prepared for them being welded into the head. Of course they come out, but with extra threads. Not a pretty sight.

For the price of platinum, I swap mine every 30k miles. Shit, it's cheap insurance (compared to pulling and tapping a head!)

Don't believe me? I pulled the O2 sensor on my truck (had around 20k miles -- I broke it during the header install). The sensor came out, the threads did not (the sensor was aluminum). Not cool!

I use a nickel high-temp anti seize compound (Loctite makes it) and it works rather nicely for a variety of uses (including spark plug threads). It can take up to 2400-degrees...

Some plugs use nickel plating on the plug threads to keep them from seizing up in aluminum heads...

http://www.boschusa.com/AutoParts/SparkPlugs/Super/

"Nickel-plated rolled threads" == "Complete anti-seize and corrosion protection"
Old 02-15-2012, 02:49 PM
Burning Brakes

Received 8 Likes on 8 Posts
I have to say that I just pulled out my Denso IK22 out of 2003 SC 3.2CL-S 6spd with 92K miles. The plugs electrodes did not look to good, it was almost gone. These plugs were installed with the CT SC kit when my car had about 10k or 12k. I would say that 65-70K miles should be the life expectance of the plugs. BTW I dont abuse my car on every corner but I do alot of spiriting driving.
The following users liked this post:
StreetKA (02-15-2012)
Old 03-06-2012, 05:43 AM
Advanced

dfv3.2CL-S- Way to bring a nearly 10 year old thread back to life!

This sounds just like the problem I had. Check out the pic new vs old plugs. You can check out my album or search my posts for more pics. I rarely post so you wont get to many results.

Comptech never said in their instructions how long these plugs would last but it is certainly not as long as we pushed them. My car was still running great when I pulled these how was yours running?