I just installed some imported Morimoto 6000K D2S bulbs , Here are some pics..

Search this Thread

Old 04-02-2009, 07:19 PM
B A N N E D

Location: The grande.. Riverdale NJ.. Hopefully moving to skyline village in Lincoln park NJ..yes dirty jersey
Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts
I just installed some imported Morimoto 6000K D2S bulbs , Here are some pics..

My passenger headlight was flickering for awile now and I thought it was the ballast, but bought bulbs first to try to resolve the problem cuz there cheaper then a $350 ballast. I bought a pair from the retrofit source for $45(thanks to whom recomended them) and here are the pics, they are 6000 DS2 bulbs.

here is a link to the bulbs
http://store.theretrofitsource.com/p...21ef274bcdeb06

It was the bulb the was going bad not the ballast, So if you have a flickering headlight that will not stay on, try replacing the bulbs first!
Old 04-03-2009, 12:45 AM
User Awaiting Email Confirmation

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
First I heard of the bulbs but seem to be a good price.
Old 04-03-2009, 01:59 AM
6th Gear

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
not to bad of the bulbs and prices
Old 04-03-2009, 08:26 AM
B A N N E D

Location: The grande.. Riverdale NJ.. Hopefully moving to skyline village in Lincoln park NJ..yes dirty jersey
Yeah for the price you cant go wrong..
This morning when i started the car the passenger NEW bulb did not fire up , so i shut it off and turned it on and it worked, So something still might be up with my ballast.
Other then this morning the bulbs fired up every time!
Old 04-03-2009, 09:40 AM
Drifting

Originally Posted by StonedCL
Yeah for the price you cant go wrong..
This morning when i started the car the passenger NEW bulb did not fire up , so i shut it off and turned it on and it worked, So something still might be up with my ballast.
Other then this morning the bulbs fired up every time!
Something loose maybe?
Old 04-03-2009, 10:14 AM
B A N N E D

Originally Posted by Josh99CL
Something loose maybe?

I did check all connections, but It only happen once thus far and when i did off/on It came on and stayed on the rest of the time, I really hope its not the ballast . I will just wait and see what happens!
Old 04-03-2009, 10:43 AM
Pro

lookn good
Old 04-03-2009, 11:52 AM
B A N N E D

That's really bright............. Nice Look........
What's in the lamps?
Old 04-03-2009, 12:13 PM
B A N N E D

Originally Posted by jaysizzlecity
That's really bright............. Nice Look........
What's in the lamps?
What do u mean what's in the lamp's? Its a HID bulb, just the low beam is on, It does looke really bright in the photo's but it was taken with a Iphone so quality is lacking iin the pics.
Old 04-03-2009, 12:31 PM
B A N N E D

Sorry I mean fog lamps....
Old 04-03-2009, 02:08 PM
B A N N E D

Isolated the flickering headlight problem!

Originally Posted by jaysizzlecity
Sorry I mean fog lamps....
I installed them awile back, don't remember..what kind..

OK Guys i isolated my headlight problem..
When my car is OFF (not running) and I turn the headlights on the pasenger headlight will NOT stay on it will come on and flicker of in like 30-40 seconds.
Also when I shut the car of and leave the headlights on the passenger light will flicker and turn of B4 the driver light turns off.
When my car is running with these NEW bulbs the light WILL stay on all the time.
My old headlights the passenger light would not stay on even when the car was on, So i thought the new bulbs fixed the problem but not 100% it seems like when the car is not running the passenger light does not get enough power to stay on.

What do you guys think?
Old 04-03-2009, 03:33 PM
B A N N E D

Oh okay cool...........
Old 04-03-2009, 08:48 PM
Instructor

I had a problem with my passenger side bulb not firing properly. After a couple of minutes, it would suddenly turn on. I finally figured out that by jiggling the connector I can recreate the problem from time to time. I very very gently bent the pins up so that they make a more solid contact and this solved all my problems. What you may be experiencing is that when the car is on, there is enough current to 'jump' the gap. After you turn it off, your battery drains enough to the point where it's not providing enough current to jump the gap. Can't tell you for sure this is the case but it makes sense - no?

Edit - Let me add that if you do this, be very gentle. The pins are very soft and can break off easily. Also, if you bend them too far, you won't be able to get the connector back on.

Last edited by Vlad B.; 04-03-2009 at 08:52 PM.
Old 04-03-2009, 09:36 PM
Bye Bye CL!!!

In the future when troubleshooting a problem such as headlights and ballasts issues, take the bulb from the side that is not problematic and swap it to the other side. If you still get the flicker from the same side its most likely a ballast issue rather than a bulb issue. eliminates spending money on bulbs ofg which you could put towards a new ballast, which to me seems to be your problem. I've already replaced my passenger side ballast. Oh and when you finish replacing bulb and ballast, check your fuse as well. When my ballast went out it also popped my fuse. I had flickering problems come and go then my ballast took a crap on me.
Old 04-04-2009, 01:05 AM
an asshole from florida

Received 17 Likes on 15 Posts

It was the bulb the was going bad not the ballast, So if you have a flickering headlight that will not stay on, try replacing the bulbs first!
i have an extra bulb lying around my apartment. i have had a flickering headlight for a while and sometimes it doesnt even come on. hopefully its just the bulb those damn ballasts are expensive as all hell
Old 04-04-2009, 09:04 AM
B A N N E D

Originally Posted by JayT
In the future when troubleshooting a problem such as headlights and ballasts issues, take the bulb from the side that is not problematic and swap it to the other side. If you still get the flicker from the same side its most likely a ballast issue rather than a bulb issue. eliminates spending money on bulbs ofg which you could put towards a new ballast, which to me seems to be your problem. I've already replaced my passenger side ballast. Oh and when you finish replacing bulb and ballast, check your fuse as well. When my ballast went out it also popped my fuse. I had flickering problems come and go then my ballast took a crap on me.
I wanted to get new bulbs anyways and the driver bulb is a PITA to get out so I took my chances and spent $45 for new bulbs. I wanted a 6000 color bulb anyways, If the bulbs where like $100 each what dlrs charge I would have deff did that.
Old 04-04-2009, 09:11 AM
B A N N E D

Originally Posted by Vlad B.
I had a problem with my passenger side bulb not firing properly. After a couple of minutes, it would suddenly turn on. I finally figured out that by jiggling the connector I can recreate the problem from time to time. I very very gently bent the pins up so that they make a more solid contact and this solved all my problems. What you may be experiencing is that when the car is on, there is enough current to 'jump' the gap. After you turn it off, your battery drains enough to the point where it's not providing enough current to jump the gap. Can't tell you for sure this is the case but it makes sense - no?

Edit - Let me add that if you do this, be very gentle. The pins are very soft and can break off easily. Also, if you bend them too far, you won't be able to get the connector back on.
Which pins are you talking about, the ones that connect directly to the HID bulb?
Old 04-04-2009, 10:48 AM
Three Wheelin'

Received 11 Likes on 8 Posts
I used to have 6000k HID's in my CL for around 4 years......and damn it if on a long drive, I wouldnt get a whooping headache. Did a lil research, and found that the blueish tint of higher kelvin rated lights place a huge strain on the eyes at night time, thus incurring my symptoms. So I went and got a set of the brightest HID's that you can buy....they are the Philips 85126+ D2R bulbs. What a difference in regards to clarity of the road and they have a nice cut off also!
Old 04-04-2009, 01:20 PM
Instructor

Which pins are you talking about, the ones that connect directly to the HID bulb?
No - the connector on the outside of the headlamp housing.
Old 04-04-2009, 01:39 PM
B A N N E D

Originally Posted by Vlad B.
No - the connector on the outside of the headlamp housing.
The connector you have to unplug to get to that back plastic housing you unscrew?
Old 04-04-2009, 01:40 PM
B A N N E D

Originally Posted by TOPHER33884
I used to have 6000k HID's in my CL for around 4 years......and damn it if on a long drive, I wouldnt get a whooping headache. Did a lil research, and found that the blueish tint of higher kelvin rated lights place a huge strain on the eyes at night time, thus incurring my symptoms. So I went and got a set of the brightest HID's that you can buy....they are the Philips 85126+ D2R bulbs. What a difference in regards to clarity of the road and they have a nice cut off also!
Funny u say that cuz i got a massive migrane yesterday, but i was not driving at night, I did have my headlights on though cuz it was raining!
Old 04-04-2009, 03:38 PM
Three Wheelin'

Received 11 Likes on 8 Posts
^ It has been proven bro.....becarefull
Old 04-04-2009, 04:00 PM
B A N N E D

When you talk about bending the pins are you talking about the connector to the upper left of the light bulb connector? (the connector that is unpluged in the pic)
Old 04-04-2009, 04:55 PM
Instructor

When you talk about bending the pins are you talking about the connector to the upper left of the light bulb connector? (the connector that is unpluged in the pic)
Yep that's the one!