I guess I'm destined to be the forum guy with the MOST "REAL" PROBLEMS!

Search this Thread

Old 04-30-2001, 05:41 PM
hater

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
I guess I'm destined to be the forum guy with the MOST "REAL" PROBLEMS!

Hairy seats and rattles are one thing, but what about real problems with the CL-S. In case you didn't know, the Golden Droid went in today for a second IMRC actuator replacement with 21,650 miles on the clock. I made a stink about the brakes being mushy and shimmying when stopping from 55 mph+ and just got the call that I need a front hub and bearing replaced, the front pads will be replaced (I pay for pads only) and they are going to go ahead and replace my master cylinder "just for the hell of it."

I guess if you think you've got some brake issues you might want to stop by the dealer sometime soon. I haven't got the full story yet, as I can't pick up the car until tomorrow, but it sounds like there were several things wrong with my brake system... not just your run-of-the-mill rotor warpage.

------------------
'01 CL-S|Sundance Gold|Spoiler|35% Tint|Bridgestone Potenza RE730 225/45/17
a study in pimp daddy gold

[This message has been edited by droideka (edited 04-30-2001).]
Old 04-30-2001, 05:51 PM
The Creator

Received 8 Likes on 3 Posts
dang. damn. doh!

Acura still hasnt replaced my window motor. damnit.

This car has some questionable reliability problems.

------------------
2001 Acura 3.2 CL Type-S
San Marino Red (Navigation)
PIAA 19173 Ion Yellow Fog Lights
Aftermarket Black Wood Trim Kit
Valentine 1
Old 04-30-2001, 05:55 PM
Three Wheelin'

Sorry to hear about your troubles, droid, but maybe someone will benefit (namely, ME!)

I have a brake shimmy at 55mph+ as well. I need to get that looked at. I thought it was just rotor warpage as well. Hmmmm... you may not be alone.
Old 04-30-2001, 05:56 PM
SatinCL

<font face="Verdana, Arial" size="2">Originally posted by soopa:
dang. damn. doh!

Acura still hasnt replaced my window motor. damnit.

This car has some questionable reliability problems.

</font>
......yup. My thoughts exactly. I have a Throttle Cable that has been replaced twice in 11900 miles, brake rotors (all 4), pass. rear seat just popped out of its mount, and (the humdinger) the a/c compressor clutch seized stinking up the joint. Not a great track record for 11 months of ownership.

------------------
Ken
'01 Satin Silver CL-P
Performance: Headers, K&N Drop-In, Comptech Springs/Sways, 17" Borbet T's & Eagle RS-A's.
Other: Flaps, X-Pel Clear Bra, Cannon Mats, & Burlwood Shift Knob.

Worst Stock GTech: 7.15
Current G-Tech (2/11): 6.33
Old 04-30-2001, 06:06 PM
Cajun Gumbo Man

Received 55 Likes on 41 Posts
I've complained about my questionable brakes as well. I am going back !
Thanks for the heads up !

------------------
2001 CL Type S Black/Ebony w/NAVI, PIAA bulbs, Tinted windows, JL Sub-woofer/Fosgate 250 watt amp, otherwise pure stock
1998 Accord Coupe EX-V6
Black Currant Pearl, PIAA bulbs, tinted windows, Fosgate 500 watt amp, Eclipes 6X9's,JL Sub-woofer, otherwise PURE stock !
Old 04-30-2001, 06:11 PM
hater

<font face="Verdana, Arial" size="2">Originally posted by Satin01CL:
yup. My thoughts exactly. I have a Throttle Cable that has been replaced twice in 11900 miles, brake rotors (all 4), pass. rear seat just popped out of its mount, and (the humdinger) the a/c compressor clutch seized stinking up the joint. Not a great track record for 11 months of ownership.</font>
DAMN, DUDE!?! How come I don't remember hearing about all that shit?

------------------
Old 04-30-2001, 06:12 PM
magnet

yeah my actuator isnt working neither..........trust me ive had problems to...........im the only one who's hood shocks blew my srs light always comes on and my console in the back i had to break the lock cuz it wouldnt open

------------------
2001 3.5 cl type s,custom voltage blue paint job, comptech headers, 18 inch ssr agle strusse rims(painted voltage blue with chrome lip), greddy evo exhaust, cross drilled rotors, pioneer avx 7000 tv, playstation2, iceman cold air intake(custom)nos fuel pressure regulator, piaa ion yellow fog lights, slammed on nex suspension (level ten torque converter, dommed topped pistons, mdx crankshaft, rods , bearings, heads ported and polished, vtec timing

my old car www.hondatech.org/99acv6ic.html
my cl http://albums.photopoint.com/j/View?...064&Sequence=0
Old 04-30-2001, 06:15 PM
Drifting

What is the reasoning that you have to pay for the brake pads?

------------------
Eat Safe, Use Condiments
Red CL-S, non-Nav, 35% tint, M6 driving lights, M4 map and door lights
Old 04-30-2001, 06:15 PM
SatinCL

<font face="Verdana, Arial" size="2">Originally posted by droideka:
DAMN, DUDE!?! How come I don't remember hearing about all that shit?

</font>
I try to not complain. Once you own a Jeep you learn to get used to teething pains......in fact, this is a walk in the park compared to the 2 Jeeps I've owned.

------------------
Ken
'01 Satin Silver CL-P
Performance: Headers, K&N Drop-In, Comptech Springs/Sways, 17" Borbet T's & Eagle RS-A's.
Other: Flaps, X-Pel Clear Bra, Cannon Mats, & Burlwood Shift Knob.

Worst Stock GTech: 7.15
Current G-Tech (2/11): 6.33
Old 04-30-2001, 06:17 PM
hater

<font face="Verdana, Arial" size="2">Originally posted by empeters:
What is the reasoning that you have to pay for the brake pads?</font>
Brake pads aren't covered under warranty as they are considered "normal wear and tear" much like tires. If this was a Bimmer or Audi, they ARE covered under warranty, but you pay that up front.

------------------
Old 04-30-2001, 06:26 PM
Banned

Its always weird how the dealer always shurggs off any questions related to quality and says it 'must be something you did' or some crap like that. If you did not get a well made car, they should take care of it! Those bastards just don't want to tarnish their brand and blame it on the consumer. I seen this a little bit with BMW owners.

Hell, no matter where a car is made, a small percentage will have problems (overseas is known to have less, but still..). I wish there was some way for you to tell them "take this shit back and give me a well made one!". Sorry to hear about your problems man...hope everything works out.

------------------
'98 Dakar Yellow ///M3
www.BMWExperience.com
Forums are now open at www.BMWExperience.com
0-60 5.53 sec G-Tech
Old 04-30-2001, 07:08 PM
hater

<font face="Verdana, Arial" size="2">Originally posted by GoldTypeS:
Sorry to hear about your troubles, droid, but maybe someone will benefit (namely, ME!)

I have a brake shimmy at 55mph+ as well. I need to get that looked at. I thought it was just rotor warpage as well. Hmmmm... you may not be alone.
</font>
Well, let's compare notes...

1. The shimmy occurs when braking from 55+ whether nice and easy with gradual pressure or digging in hard.

2. I also have a bit of "grab, grab" in the last few feet of rolling to a stop. Kind of like the calipers are letting go and then saying, "Oh! Wait! We're not done stopping yet." Feels a lot like a warped rotor, but that's debatable.

3. The mushiness in the pedal is the thing that disturbs me the most. I'll be sitting at a stop applying moderate pressure to the pedal when all of the sudden the system decides to loosen up a bit and the pedal travels another 1" to 1.5" towards the floor. That's not good. That says that there is some sort of pressure problem in the brake lines. I'm glad I wasn't imagining things and that they've actually volunteered to replace the master cylinder.

I'll let you and everyone else know exactly to what extent they have had to go in repairing everything once I get the car back tomorrow.

------------------
Old 04-30-2001, 07:34 PM
Fight On SC!

what about me? my type s is getting a new tranny as we speak. damn.

------------------
silver 2001 cl type s
Old 04-30-2001, 07:46 PM
hater

<font face="Verdana, Arial" size="2">Originally posted by superdds:
what about me? my type s is getting a new tranny as we speak. damn.
</font>
Heh-sus Christo! When the hell did that happen? I guess I've just been trying to block out all of the bad stuff until it actually happens to me. Allright, you win. You are definitely having the "Gayest Owner Experience" with your Acura right now. Sorry, man.

------------------
Old 04-30-2001, 07:52 PM
Happy CL-S Pilot

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
I had to rebuid my engine at 3,000 miles (2-month ownership). Lower block oil leak. 1 month Service-shop time... Now that is fooken bad experience

------------------
Black, Ebony, 3.2 CL Type-S, NAV.
- 3M clear bra, by Stonguard (full front bumper, and side mirrors, and partial hood)
- Acura Spoiler, Moonroof visor
- Splash guards, Winter mats, Trunk liner
- Valentine V1 Radar Locator
- HELMS Service Manual
- PIAA 19169 road lamps
- 03/19/01: Injen Polished CAI
- 04/13/01: 235/40/18 NITTO 555 on 18x7.5, +45 offset, Koing Imagine in Silver with wheels locks
Old 04-30-2001, 08:18 PM
Three Wheelin'

Well, let's compare notes...

1. The shimmy occurs when braking from 55+ whether nice and easy with gradual pressure or digging in hard. </font>

Yep. I have that too, although it is a bit inconsistent at only 60-65mph. It always happens when braking from about 80mph though which is where I always am if I'm on the highway

2. I also have a bit of "grab, grab" in the last few feet of rolling to a stop. Kind of like the calipers are letting go and then saying, "Oh! Wait! We're not done stopping yet." Feels a lot like a warped rotor, but that's debatable. </font>

Have not experienced this that I know of. I'll have to watch out for it.

3. The mushiness in the pedal is the thing that disturbs me the most. I'll be sitting at a stop applying moderate pressure to the pedal when all of the sudden the system decides to loosen up a bit and the pedal travels another 1" to 1.5" towards the floor. That's not good. That says that there is some sort of pressure problem in the brake lines. I'm glad I wasn't imagining things and that they've actually volunteered to replace the master cylinder. </font>

I'm wondering if this could be the AC kicking on and off? Mine does this too and I thought it was "normal".

I'll let you and everyone else know exactly to what extent they have had to go in repairing everything once I get the car back tomorrow. </font>

Awesome, thanks! I have an appt this Thursday at 9:30am.

What I am concerned with is how quickly these brakes begin to fade. Last Saturday when we did our little 0-70mph runs at the Phoenix meet I was experiencing significant fade by the 3rd run. All it took was to brake moderately, not slamming on the brakes, from 70mph just twice!! That's pathetic, IMHO. Also, I heard a scraping noise when going back to the starting point after a couple runs. My brakes ALWAYS do that now after just a short period of spirited driving. Either I have some problems or these brakes are just plain horrible.

Old 04-30-2001, 08:20 PM
Suzuka Master

Received 3 Likes on 1 Post
my tire tread separated and i had a rollover...oh wait, that was a dream.

considering this car is based on the tl...do tl's have the same problem? i'm sure it's still a small % as i've had my car for a year and a month w/ 11k miles and nothing like this...but i also drive it mildly 90% of the time.
Old 04-30-2001, 09:02 PM
Community Architect
robb m.

Received 643 Likes on 284 Posts
I have had my CL-S for over a year now and I've put on 42,000km's of HARD driving....
still have my original pads, rotors etc...haven't had a problem with my car yet...I DID however change my tranny fluid @ 40k cuz the shifts were a little rough....

my car is in the first 100 made...I guess I'm lucky...

------------------
Astroboy out...

2001 Acura CL Type S: Comptech: Headers, filter, sways, springs, koni shocks, Volk Racing SE37's in 18", goodridge braided brake lines, AEM CAI (blue), APEXi V-AFC, full kicker system, 13" Brembo's on the way with slotted discs for the rear
1996 Porsche 911 Twin Turbo: H&R Springs and sways, Bilstein shocks, ported and polished, crillo rods, new valvetrain
1995 VW Golf: 1999 VR6 Swap, H&R Coil Overs, neuspeed strut bars, neuspeed sway bars, 2.5" Stainless TT exhaust w/ Borla, 13" AP Racing big brakes
Old 04-30-2001, 09:44 PM
Instructor

It wasn't until I had driven the rental car that I noticed how funky the brakes on the CL felt. They just dont seem as firm as they should be (The POS Intrigue stopped better). I'm at almost 19K miles and it may be time to have things looked at. I haven't experienced any vibration, but just the feeling that it'd take me 150ft to stop from 60mph.

------------------
The Red Rocket

bone-stock, and now she's Dented and Miserable!
Old 04-30-2001, 11:39 PM
Oh...Behave!

Yeah, I noticed that my brakes seemed a little "mushy" too!

BTW: I also forwarded this topic to ACURA Customer Service and to the owner of South Coast Acura!
Old 05-01-2001, 03:47 AM
Instructor

When did you guys purchase the CL's with all the problems?

Im wondering if when they wer made had something to do with it. I have 22000 miles on mine and the only thing ive had was a fog light. After reading this Im keeping my finger crossed! I'm glad i got the extended warranty. At least now i know not to do any serious mods unless warrantied.
Old 05-01-2001, 04:06 AM
Suzuka Master

Mine has low mileage (bought with only 6 miles on the speedo, and got it off the truck), but was purchased in August, and has been fine.

About the brake fade -- I know the brakes run out of gas with repeated pushes, but 2 stops from 70 MPH is a little too much fade!

I've hit the binders a ton of times from 70 and I've never had any fade. Its only when I'm running at high-speed downhill that I feel the need for some Brembos (next on the shopping list).

If you guys are talking about loosing pedal, you might want to consider early brake fluid change with flush, or going to an appropriate DOT 4 brake fluid. The stuff loves to soak up moisture, and this reduces boiling point like crazy. If you're in a climate with high humidity, be sure to change the fluid often (if your going to be racing around).

------------------
Silver 2001 CL-S with NAVI
  • Mud guards
  • Wheel locks
  • Toyo T1S 235/45ZR17-97W* Proxies on 17x8" SSR Competition wheels (48lbs less than stock)
  • Kevlar/SS Brake lines w/Brembos?
  • Comptech headers & sways
  • Silver AEM CAI
  • 9 coats of Zaino magic

[This message has been edited by EricL (edited 05-01-2001).]
Old 05-01-2001, 04:42 AM
Fight On SC!

Heh-sus Christo! When the hell did that happen? I guess I've just been trying to block out all of the bad stuff until it actually happens to me. Allright, you win. You are definitely having the "Gayest Owner Experience" with your Acura right now. Sorry, man.

</font>
i brought my type s in for a 15k service and a week later i noticed tranny fluid on my driveway. brought it back and they said some tranny fluid spilled onto the cross member during the service. a week later, same thing. brought it back and they said there was a leak but couldn't locate it. told me i needed a new tranny. also they found something wrong with the left front cv boot. that needed to be replaced also. finally got my type s back today. no problems except it feels faster and smoother

------------------
silver 2001 cl type s
Old 05-01-2001, 04:54 AM
Advanced

Shit, I'm sorry to hear bout that boy's.......I only have 16 000 kms with all original parts.

I havn't noticed any major problems with the way the car runs...granted I'm no mechanic (unless part-time garage accounts) but I pray that nothing like this happens to me or fellow cl owners.

Informative as usual!!!

------------------
2001 stock cls
mods coming soon as the cash does
Old 05-01-2001, 11:17 AM
Racer

I'm with you Astroboy, my car is #2295. I have 31,936 miles on it. With the exception of the sunroof rattle, I have had zero problems. I guess we are just blessed. I don't believe in luck, good or bad.

------------------
CL-S
White/Parchment
Gold Emblems
Mud Guards / Wheel Locks
Spoiler
Winter Floor Mats
Old 05-01-2001, 11:24 AM
Moderator Alumnus

Received 3 Likes on 1 Post
16,000 miles, no problems, hope things improve guys.

------------------
01' Acura CL Type-S
Piaa 19169 Bulbs
Valentine1 Pig Detector
CompTech Exhaust
Xephyr Cold Air Intake
Founding Member of the NO SCRATCHED RIMS CLUB

01'Acura Integra GSR
Old 05-01-2001, 04:33 PM
Fastdriver

Dumb question maybe, but all of you that are having problems with your brakes/rotors/trannies etc.- is this in normal everyday driving?

Thanks. You're scaring me. I just got rid of my "award winning" 99 Chrysler 300M three months early because I never knew what was going to go wrong next. I HOPE I don't encounter any problems with this car now. So far, it's a DREAM!

------------------
fastdriver
2001 San Marino Red w/parchment interior.
[*]No nav.[*]No spoiler.[*]Lojack[*]Four coats of Zaino so far! That red is gleaming![*] Number 34331.[*]Built 3/01.[*]Bought 3/28/01
fastdriver's CL without Zaino!
fastdriver's CL with 3 coats of Zaino and the last two with 4 coats of Z-2/Z-6
Click here if Yahoo photos don't work.
fastdriver's previous cars. The 300M has Zaino.

Accept mediocrity and that's all you'll ever get!
Old 05-01-2001, 07:03 PM
Old timer

Well you guys have convinced me not to push my CL-S too hard. I bet a lot of your problems are due to your frequent racing. I see most of you with problems have a bunch of mods. But I could be wrong.

-J

------------------
2001 CL-S Aegean Blue/black interior spoiler, wheel locks, no-navi
Stock for now.

[This message has been edited by JRock (edited 05-01-2001).]
Old 05-01-2001, 08:21 PM
STi

Same here no problem at all, just this freaking seatbelt wont retract sometimes...

------------------

1990Si
2001CL-S
Old 05-03-2001, 01:23 AM
Suzuka Master

<font face="Verdana, Arial" size="2">Originally posted by JRock:
Well you guys have convinced me not to push my CL-S too hard. I bet a lot of your problems are due to your frequent racing. I see most of you with problems have a bunch of mods. But I could be wrong.

-J

</font>
I have mods, but have NOT had any problems yet...

So, who knows. I drive the car hard sometimes *and* them I drive it very easy.

I haven't taken the car for a Baja road rally yet...

------------------
Silver 2001 CL-S with NAVI
  • Mud guards
  • Wheel locks
  • Toyo T1S 235/45ZR17-97W* Proxies on 17x8" SSR Competition wheels (48lbs less than stock)
  • Kevlar/SS Brake lines w/Brembos?
  • Comptech headers & sways
  • Silver AEM CAI
  • 9 coats of Zaino magic