I Called Doug (SynCivic) today part III

Search this Thread

Old 03-12-2002, 05:15 PM
Senior Moderator

Received 48 Likes on 33 Posts
I Called Doug (SynCivic) today part III

ok guys,and gals(if any), here's the latest...Nashau try to follow along .
the casting process for RES has been abandoned...doug could not achieve consistant quality...the unit is now Being made using CNC machining process ,and will come in colors...i assume red,blue and polished...he will have a test unit with pics hopefully, by the end of the month...it will be engraved on the top...im sure it will say RES ...the cost should only increase alittle something in the neighbor hood of 350$$$-375...
MMII...is electronic..it works in a way that fools the ecu into certain scenerios that maximize HP.... though doug isnt sure the two mods hp's will cummulitive, he suspects they will be...MMII will sell for around 1/3 the cost of RES, so he wants to delay its release, so as not to effect the sales of RES...I told him...he should do a package deal...i think everyone will want both for under 500$$...he still needs cold weather testing on MMII ...he said he needed to get it into the hands of some of the canadian members before it gets too late...Astro's down here right now...
when he gets his test peices available( im hoping to be one of the initial testers)I volunteered my nitto 555R drag radials(245/45/17)...he wants to run one of his 3.5's into the 13's then add res and MMII...i should also have a res at that point, and hopfully beable to plug in his MMII and get some time slips for a more typical type S...H/I/RES/MMII...i too expect 13's with this setup...probablly very high 13's ill bet dougs gonna manage a 13.4...oh ill have toyo T1-S 235/45 for this run...i hope TIM (snook will be there too!!!!) maye a couple other members can come..or we can make it a full on south florida meet...

on a side note Transmission related doug says the failures are related to and undersized bearing in the differential that may fail may...new transmissons receive bearings that went through a better hardening process...he honestly believes that though honda cant draw alot of attention to this,that they will take car e of yuo IF needed I mean take care,...60-70-80 K miles but the cost to do a TSB and the amount of people that would come out of the wood work could really hurt them...
HLSD may fit the auto and if so i think,and i think doug agrees it would be a great upgrade...
Old 03-12-2002, 05:20 PM
Senior Moderator

Received 638 Likes on 276 Posts
Guess i have no choice but to wait MORE.
Old 03-12-2002, 05:21 PM
Happy CL-S Pilot

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
The most encouraging news I have have heard about the RES and MM-II in a long time

$375 is not too much for 15 WHP and 15 lbf of torque.
and the $100 MM-II is a killer too!

I feel better now that by April 6th, I will be on the strip with RES bolted.

I am switching to the Nittos in a 1-2 weeks.
Old 03-12-2002, 05:27 PM
Drifting

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Thansk typeR. Us Chicago boys can test MMII also if they need people who live in cold weather. I cant wait till this mod comes out.

spiro
Old 03-12-2002, 05:43 PM
I love my CL-S

i can test it too...

its fugging cold here today
Old 03-12-2002, 05:52 PM
Retired Post Whore

Thanks for the updated info. I will be happy if this product will be available before the summer time.
Old 03-12-2002, 06:19 PM
Floyd Mayweather Jr.

Received 5 Likes on 3 Posts
All that power for under $500...I'm getting giddy just thinking about it!:wackit:
Old 03-12-2002, 06:22 PM
Old timer

The transmission info sounds like BS - if the rebuilt ones fix the problem, why do so many people with a 2nd tranny blow that one too? My guess is because whatever is wrong with it isn't fixed or isn't fixed properly.

(Look at how many people have had problems with their 2nd tranny already... there's at least a handful that are on their 3rd and more that say they hear the same problem developing that killed their first. That's sad considering it's supposedly rebuilt and all. There should be NO failures of the new/rebuilt tranny, or maybe ONE out of the few dozen that have been replaced here on the forums. Figure 50 people here have had them replaced and there are at least 5 people who have problems with their second one. That's a SHITTY ratio. But I'm not interested in arguing that fact, I'm just pointing it out. Next point...)

I have no intention of buying the MM2 ever since I learned that it is an ECU-type mod. I don't want any mods that affect my car like that, more-so because our car already has a tranny problem and I don't want to dick with the engine timing, etc, and develop an engine or tranny problem related to that, so a package deal would be of no incentive to me.

I do still want an RES.

Just my $.02.
Old 03-12-2002, 06:44 PM
Drifting

Im sure the MMII can be removed pretty easily. If my car goes, I want it to go out in style
Originally posted by JRock
The transmission info sounds like BS - if the rebuilt ones fix the problem, why do so many people with a 2nd tranny blow that one too? My guess is because whatever is wrong with it isn't fixed or isn't fixed properly.

(Look at how many people have had problems with their 2nd tranny already... there's at least a handful that are on their 3rd and more that say they hear the same problem developing that killed their first. That's sad considering it's supposedly rebuilt and all. There should be NO failures of the new/rebuilt tranny, or maybe ONE out of the few dozen that have been replaced here on the forums. Figure 50 people here have had them replaced and there are at least 5 people who have problems with their second one. That's a SHITTY ratio. But I'm not interested in arguing that fact, I'm just pointing it out. Next point...)

I have no intention of buying the MM2 ever since I learned that it is an ECU-type mod. I don't want any mods that affect my car like that, more-so because our car already has a tranny problem and I don't want to dick with the engine timing, etc, and develop an engine or tranny problem related to that, so a package deal would be of no incentive to me.

I do still want an RES.

Just my $.02.
Old 03-12-2002, 08:12 PM
Senior Moderator

I do still want an RES.

Just my $.02.
...what if some of the people here had there second and third tranny go ...before honda new what the failure was...and or what the cure is...as far as MMII its your car ...but it'll plug right in and in minutes is removable...my guesstimate on what it does is just trick the ECU into advanceing spark...shouldnt be a problem....
Old 03-12-2002, 08:18 PM
Burning Brakes

Maybe the people with the second tranny just plain out ABUSE them on a regular basis

Our cars are not invincible....
Old 03-12-2002, 08:24 PM
Cost Drivers!!!!

THe most interesting info was about the tranny. I'm going to call Acura tomorrow and see if they will agree to anything. Otherwise, I'm going to get rid of the car. I would really hate doing it because I LOVE and i mean I LOOOOOOVVVVEEEE my CLS. Just looking at her tonight walking out of the gym, she looks soooooo sexy But with the amount of miles that put on to the car i REFUSE to pay for what Acura fucked up.

You are telling me that Acura knows they fucked up and aren't going to put a TSB out on the tranny??!@!? That is NOT cool. If the info TypeR gave is true, then i've really lost alot of respect for Acura. There will be people on this board will make excuses for Acura but i'm sorry, there is NO excuse that Acura can tell me. They'll lose some money SO FRIGGEN WHAT!!!!! I'm sure the board of executives and CIO, CEO, CFO can go without their bonuses this year.
Old 03-12-2002, 08:29 PM
Cost Drivers!!!!

Originally posted by BBsAcuraRacing
Maybe the people with the second tranny just plain out ABUSE them on a regular basis

Abuse?? What do you quantify as abuse?? Driving the car with passion? I doubt the people were brake torquing at every stop light. So what if they redlined each gear every time they drove? That would mean the engine, transmission may only last 50k miles; NOT FAIL AT 15k!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

The website says the car was developed with the Grand Turismo spirit and F1 this and that. If the car was not ment to be driven hard, then why advertise it that way???? Why sell the car in the first place?

I can NOT believe that people are making excuses for Acura.
Old 03-12-2002, 08:30 PM
Suzuka Master

Originally posted by BBsAcuraRacing

OR (take your pick)

1. They (Acura) didn't have the problem diagnosed at that time.

2. They (the dealers) didn't diagnose a problem with the computer, solenoids, and/or other related parts and never discovered the "real"/"root" cause for failures. If "you" tell the tranny to destroy itself, it will gladly comply.

3. They (Acura) are or still were putting in "underrated" or "marginal" components and/or can't tell when a part is "marginal".

4. They (Acura) are still clueless...
Old 03-12-2002, 08:36 PM
Cajun Gumbo Man

Received 55 Likes on 41 Posts
I think the second or third failed tranny is due to POOR FUCKING MECHANICS that don't know what they are doing ! You just don't pop it in and out ! It's intense work and shabby mechanics DON'T GIVE A FLYING FUCK !
Old 03-12-2002, 08:36 PM
Smack My B*tch Up

Good job, I can do some testing, its cold here.
Old 03-12-2002, 09:23 PM
Cost Drivers!!!!

Originally posted by Fabvsix
I think the second or third failed tranny is due to POOR FUCKING MECHANICS that don't know what they are doing ! You just don't pop it in and out ! It's intense work and shabby mechanics DON'T GIVE A FLYING FUCK !

I think this might be contributing to the failures. One of the members who posted in the failure portion of the board noted that Corporate only covers 5hrs worth of labor on the transmission install. The job takes a full 8hrs. Hence, you have the dealership pressuring people to rush the job so the dealer put tech's on jobs that are making money.
Old 03-12-2002, 10:09 PM
I LOVE MY CAR

Trans thread??

Damn.... How did this turn into a tranny thread???? I thought it was about RES & MMII???

Anyway, thanks for the update.... The package deal sounds good, and you send a few of those up to Chicago for some cold testing...It's in the low 30's right now..

Keep the updates coming,, we can't wait to get that bad boy!!!

Old 03-12-2002, 10:24 PM
Old timer

Originally posted by typeR
...what if some of the people here had there second and third tranny go ...before honda new what the failure was...and or what the cure is...as far as MMII its your car ...but it'll plug right in and in minutes is removable...my guesstimate on what it does is just trick the ECU into advanceing spark...shouldnt be a problem....
Because there's no downside to advancing spark, is there?

I thought that can burn up a plug or something.
Old 03-12-2002, 10:28 PM
Old timer

Re: Trans thread??

Originally posted by Dom418
Damn.... How did this turn into a tranny thread????
Because some people insist on defending Acura in one way or another instead of just accepting the fact that the tranny issue is nowhere NEAR resolved.
Old 03-13-2002, 01:08 AM
TL Type-S Owner

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts
So if he is going to have a test unit by the end of the month what does that mean about the release date?
Old 03-13-2002, 02:28 AM
Instructor

any info on the Accord V6's?

And will the MMII work on the the accord v6?
Old 03-13-2002, 08:04 AM
Senior Moderator

Originally posted by frank828
any info on the Accord V6's?

And will the MMII work on the the accord v6?
i think so...he has it on his MDX right now and talked of putting it on his dads Tl for testing...sounds like a plug and play for most/ALL hondas
Old 03-13-2002, 08:32 AM
S/C'd Accord Coming Soon!

Woot! Thanks for the scoop!

Tell Doug not to forget about the RES for the V6 Accords... Remember, think potential market size...
Old 03-13-2002, 12:37 PM
Suzuka Master

Because there's no downside to advancing spark, is there?

I thought that can burn up a plug or something.
Depends on how much advance there is. Also remember that we do have (as most cars do) a knock detection circuit which will retard timing if knock is heard. So the amount of advance can be increased but you will probably be required to run 93 octane in order to realize the gain.
Old 03-13-2002, 02:22 PM
Suzuka Master

Oh yea, a circuit diagram to do this should be available next week. You'll just need a few of the below on a bread board with a few specific valued resistors. Depending on how the car reacts a simple Op-Amp may be needed but more on that after it is tested.

There are 5VDC source from the PCM, just use these modified with certain resistors and use the throttle position signal to trigger the below multiplexer ICs to switch from the normal to the modified signal.

This way there is no changes to signals when at part throttle allowing for normal operation. But at WOT the signals are changed causing the PCM to advance timing and correcting for this.

http://products.analog.com/products/...product=AD8180
Old 03-13-2002, 06:09 PM
Subie Dubie

Thanks for the update TypeR, I'm ready for RES
Old 03-13-2002, 09:10 PM
Burning Brakes

how has the RES done in cold testing? Or is it advisable to swap in the factory cover for the winter???
Old 03-13-2002, 09:15 PM
Suzuka Master

Me too...

Originally posted by fast_daddy_car
how has the RES done in cold testing? Or is it advisable to swap in the factory cover for the winter???

You read my mind -- thanks! I'd really like to see a dyno done at 30-50 degrees F (vs. that old one with the temps hovering around 90+ F)
Old 03-13-2002, 09:43 PM
Suzuka Master

Re: Me too...

Originally posted by EricL
You read my mind -- thanks! I'd really like to see a dyno done at 30-50 degrees F (vs. that old one with the temps hovering around 90+ F)
Very interesting you mention this too. It does seem that the warmer weather has a different effect in my mock RES. It seems with higher temps that the low end is more affected and the low end less...

Now the other aspect of the fooling the PCM. There are only a few signals to be used to 'fool' the PCM. So there is a finite amount of adjustments. This is the paradox, fooling the PCM may result in more power but depending on the ambient conditions that increase will vary.
Old 03-15-2002, 01:21 AM
Racer

Received 19 Likes on 6 Posts
SOMEONE SAID:

as far as MMII its your car ...but it'll plug right in and in minutes is removable...my guesstimate on what it does is just trick the ECU into advanceing spark...shouldnt be a problem....

MAKES ME THINK:
One easy way to do this is with a puffer box. It's a little box that you can build out of radio trash parts for about $5. Basically you hook it up to the intake temperature sensor, or rather splice it between the intake sensor and the wire going back to the computer. On the puffer box, is a switch, OFF/ON, On off, the sensor continues to pass the temperature in the off mode, switch it to ON mode, and now you can dial in a temperature you want. This basically will tell the computer that the air is what temperature that you set. The computer will compensate, and you can advance timing this way. On Rustangs, this was good for about 4hp/4torque. I think the
amount of horsepower can vary from car to car, depending on how much the car changes the timing for the temperature.
Oh yeah, they are super easy to build, any numb nuts can put one together.

If anyone wants I can find the schematics and more info on Puffer Boxes.
Old 03-15-2002, 06:47 AM
Suzuka Master

The problem here is that we have a speed density system so that changing the intake temperature readings will also affect the fueling significantly. Also, if you constantly modify the IAT reading, and subsequently the fueling, your base fuel trim values will be adjusted and do who knows what for upper end fueling needs (+ or -).

The ECT has a significant role in setting the timing, which is where I feel and changes will come in. This It has less to do with load calculations and more to do with ignition timing. Plus, our termperature sensors are voltage supplied so that the signal decreases as the temperature increases, the opposite of what you could modify with resistors. You would really need an Op-Amp.
Old 03-15-2002, 10:39 AM
Banned

Received 7 Likes on 7 Posts
Speaking of Tranny: Scalbert, did you ever get the Details on your Transmission Cooler Install for us ???

Originally posted by scalbert
Oh yea, a circuit diagram to do this should be available next week. You'll just need a few of the below on a bread board with a few specific valued resistors. Depending on how the car reacts a simple Op-Amp may be needed but more on that after it is tested.

There are 5VDC source from the PCM, just use these modified with certain resistors and use the throttle position signal to trigger the below multiplexer ICs to switch from the normal to the modified signal.

This way there is no changes to signals when at part throttle allowing for normal operation. But at WOT the signals are changed causing the PCM to advance timing and correcting for this.

http://products.analog.com/products/...product=AD8180
Old 03-15-2002, 10:46 AM
Suzuka Master

Originally posted by caddy
Speaking of Tranny: Scalbert, did you ever get the Details on your Transmission Cooler Install for us ???

Fifth post in the below thread:

Trans Cooler Install

Oh also, when I can find my IR Pyrometer I'll capture a few external temperature readings. But from the initial feel the fluid is getting hot. You cannot touch the cooler after driving the vehicle without serious burning your self.

If the cooler gets this hot then I would figure the fluid temps are getting over the 240 mark...