How to remove pin striping?

Search this Thread

Old 06-24-2002, 11:44 AM
Drifting

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
How to remove pin striping?

i got pin stripes on my car from the factory and they are really starting to bother me what can i do to take them off w/o fvcking up the paint
Old 06-24-2002, 11:47 AM
Administrator Alumnus

Received 131 Likes on 82 Posts
Try using a hair dryer...

Set the speed on low, air on hot and blow the hot air on the beginning of one of the stripes. Use your fingernail and gently get underneath it... It should come up pretty easy... Then just keep moving the hair dryer down VERY SLOWLY, and GENTLY pull... Let the heat do most of the work...

The key is to work slowly. It'll take a while for the glue on the pin stripe to let go of the paint, so be patient.
Old 06-24-2002, 12:09 PM
Senior Moderator

Received 1,080 Likes on 661 Posts
I'd really think twice about doing that.

1) Living in Florida, no doubt the sun has started to fade your paint. I wouldn't be surpised to see a difference in the paint under the stripe. In the end, it'll look like the stripe is still there,

2) You need to determine if the pinstripe is painted or tape. Open up on the doors and see if the stripe goes around the door to the back. Telltale sign of taped stripes. You can also start and pick a little bit of one of the ends to see if it is tape.

I would assume if the dealer did it, it's painted on stripes. In that case, only a good body shop could remove them. And you still run the risk of the paint color difference underneath.
Old 06-24-2002, 12:23 PM
Administrator Alumnus

Received 131 Likes on 82 Posts
Originally posted by NSXNEXT

1) Living in Florida, no doubt the sun has started to fade your paint. I wouldn't be surpised to see a difference in the paint under the stripe. In the end, it'll look like the stripe is still there,
Never even considered that... Nice catch!
Old 06-24-2002, 12:52 PM
Stealthy A-CL Member

Received 24 Likes on 8 Posts
Originally posted by NSXNEXT

2) You need to determine if the pinstripe is painted or tape. Open up on the doors and see if the stripe goes around the door to the back. Telltale sign of taped stripes. You can also start and pick a little bit of one of the ends to see if it is tape.

I would assume if the dealer did it, it's painted on stripes. In that case, only a good body shop could remove them. And you still run the risk of the paint color difference underneath.
Uh huh; great points. Virtually all of the dealers in my area use paint.
Old 06-24-2002, 01:57 PM
The Creator

Received 8 Likes on 3 Posts
wet sanding. mmm
Old 06-24-2002, 02:21 PM
S/C'd Accord Coming Soon!

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Here in Lafayette, our Honda dealership uses vinyl? strips of some sort for the pin stripes.

If its hot outside, they will peal off very easily, and you don't need to worry about it pulling your paint off.

Depending on how long its been since you bought your car, you might notice that when the car gets wet, you have two lines where the water does funny because the clear coat/wax hasn't worn away like the rest of the car has.

It took me about 30-45 minutes to remove my pin stripes.

Just use your finger nail to get started and then slowly and gently pull the pin stripes at a 90 degree angle from the surface.

You will have some adhesive residue left on the paint but use a towel, adhesive remover and a little elbow grease and it comes right off.

Here are the before and after pics with pin stripes:
With Pinstripes:

Without Pinstripes: