How to : remove instrument cluster

Search this Thread

Old 11-28-2003, 05:08 PM
retired

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts
How to : remove instrument cluster

Ok in another thread I was asked how to remove the cover over the cluster so we'll just get all the birds with one stone .
Start by removing the driver's side fusebox cover .
Locate and remove the small screw that holds the plastic knee bolster cover in place.
Adjust the steering column so that it is all the way up .
Now grab the knee bolster cover and give it a stiff tug towards the drivers seat .You will get th left side off first then the side towards the center console pops loose .
There is a single electrical connector ,release it and set the cover aside .
Put the steering column in the lowest position .
Pry the upper steering column cover off ,this thing is a beast and will require a bit of finesse to remove but it does eventually come off .
Next reach up and push out the sunroof sw. vsa sw. and fog light sw. and disconnect the electrical connectors set the switches aside .
remove the two screws that go into the instrument hood ,they go up into the hood and can be hard to see .
Next starting at the left side begin to pry the instrument cover off .This part too can be a beast so be careful in there .
Work your way over to the right side of the cover over the Nav or climate control assy (whichever applies) .
Now you will need to unplug the remaining connectors ,clock climate control odometer select and reset button assy .
Now after all of this is done you can gently slide the cover out to the passenger side of the car .

Next you will remove the 4 screws that attach the instrument cluster to the frame inside the dashboard .
Pull the left side of the cluster towards you and disconnect the three connectors in the backside of the cluster .You will also have to wrestle with one plastic harness clip (small screwdriver works well to release it)
NOW THIS IS IMPORTANT ,do NOT turn on the ignition while the instrument cluster is NOT connected to the car .If you do you will set a fault code in the SRS unit .
Now to split the cluster for cleaning or adding gauges or just general curiuosity here is what you need to do .The rear cover is held on with screws and two centrally located clips .You must also release the small wiring harness that is there on the backside .It can be unplugged from the board if you follow the wires (you will see where when you look).
The front of the cluster is a bit of dance I'm afraid .You will need to carefully release all the clips that hold both the clear and tha black cover in place .This can be tricky and a few jewelers screwdrivers can go a long way to getting this done .
Please use extrmem caution with the instrument cluster it is literally a small computer and it is fragile .Also note that the clear cover over the front of the instruments is made of terribly brittle plastic so when you go to remove it for cleaning etc. use caution when removing it or else the tangs that keep it in place will snap off .
Over all this is an easy project but you must keep your patience .

Good luck

Jens
Old 11-29-2003, 04:25 AM
Pro

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
well what if i want to take the car apart and put it back together lol lol
Old 11-29-2003, 04:56 AM
Pro

Jens, if I tried to do that--it could be fatal to my car and me!
Old 11-29-2003, 05:09 AM
Homeless

Thanks Jens.
Old 11-29-2003, 05:26 AM
retired

Originally posted by types1967
well what if i want to take the car apart and put it back together lol lol
Well Eric i have one very easy one shot no tools required method for complete vehicle disassembly GUARANTEED results :C4 plastic explosives ,any questions?

Jens
Old 11-29-2003, 05:29 AM
Homeless

Jens...when you replace the dash clock light, do you need to remove the instrument 'cover'?

Or is that a different piece all together...
Old 11-29-2003, 05:38 AM
retired

The clock is bolted to the cover so it must be removed .Just follow the directions but leave the cluster in the car .When you pull the cover out the clock climate controls and odometer button assy come out with it .The clock bulb is right there in the clock .Just give it a twist with a small flatblade screwdriver and it should come out (it can be uncooperative, be forewarned) .

Jens
Old 11-29-2003, 06:13 AM
Race Director

Received 4 Likes on 4 Posts
Really well laid out directions. Nice info Jens.
Old 11-29-2003, 06:49 AM
Homeless

Originally posted by Jens H.
The clock is bolted to the cover so it must be removed .Just follow the directions but leave the cluster in the car .When you pull the cover out the clock climate controls and odometer button assy come out with it .The clock bulb is right there in the clock .Just give it a twist with a small flatblade screwdriver and it should come out (it can be uncooperative, be forewarned) .

Jens
Thanks again Jens!!!
Old 11-29-2003, 10:00 AM
Old timer

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
That damn bulb died a week before I sold my car. I was like "figures..." when I noticed it was out one night. It also figures it's a big PITA to replace. Ugh. Glad I never had to replace it.
Old 11-29-2003, 09:05 PM
I'm late.

Could someone please post pics of modified cluster gauges?