HOT DAMN! Another satisfying tire upgrade!

Search this Thread

Old 04-01-2001, 07:46 PM
hater

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
HOT DAMN! Another satisfying tire upgrade!

For the last three weeks I've been spinning my wheels and plowing through every turn. At 19K miles the stock Michelins were shot and in desperate need of replacement. After a bit of debate regarding how much I wanted to spend on a car that I would be returning in twelve months, I decided on the Bridgestone Potenza RE730 in 225/45/17. The difference in sidewall height is only 6.25mm and negligable upon visual inspection. The additional 10mm of contact patch more than makes up for the loss in sidewall height.

Front 3/4 View:

Rear Quarter Side View:

<font size="1" face="Verdana,Arial,Helvetica">Yeah, I know, you can smuggle bodies in that wheel gap, but I'm not going to "spring" for springs with
only a year left on the lease.
</font>

Impressions
Grip, grip and more grip! These babies STICK in the corners now and don't even begin to break loose. Turns that I would plow through just last week are a new experience with these tires and bring new life to my driving enjoyment. I love the aggressive tread pattern and can't wait to try them in the rain, as I understand they are a phenomenal wet weather tire. Anyone who's floundering over "invasive" procedures like springs or sways should try the rubber upgrade first. I can't imagine how much ass you could kick with springs, sways AND new rubber...

Road noise is somewhat noticeable IF you're trying desperately to hear something. I rarely, if ever, drive without the stereo on so this is a non-issue for me. The one thing some drivers may not appreciate is the considerably stiffer sidewall which induces a heightened sensitivity to bumps in the road. I for one do not mind this and prefer to be more in tune with the feedback from the tires, but some people may not like the added harshness.

Costs
I looked to my local retailers first when shopping. Discount Tire could order the tires, but at a cost of $187 each. I found the same tire on Tirerack.com for only $135 each and $41.20 for FedEx 2-day economy shipping. I did however have the tires shipped to Discount Tire for mounting and balance which ran $79.96 for a grand total of $661.16. If I had bought the tires locally from Discount, I would have ended up paying damn near $900 after tax.

Lastly, The Tirerack kicked so much ass during my customer experience. Within ten minutes of placing my order online, I was contacted via phone by a Tirerack representative (Wendy) to make sure that I did indeed want the 225 and not the 215 size tires. At the end of the call I asked if my tires would make it by Friday (ordered on Wednesday), but Wendy thought it would be more like Monday. Low and behold, when I checked the FedEx site to track my shipment on Thursday, Wendy had gone out of her way to get my tires out the night before. Thanks, Wendy!!!

EDIT: Added road noise and handling comments to Impressions.

[This message has been edited by droideka (edited 04-01-2001).]
Old 04-01-2001, 08:06 PM
JZ
Three Wheelin'

Prepare to lose about 30 miles per tank due to all of that grip. I agree though, these are awesome tires at a great price and Tirerack does have great customer service!! Enjoy.

------------------
Black/black CLS
Comptech headers, springs, swaybars
Koni yellows
PIAA 19169 road lamps
Solaris Hi beams
Potenza RE730 225/45/17
Red AEM CAI
35% mirror tint next
Old 04-01-2001, 08:27 PM
My other car is a 350Z

Droideka and JZ: did you guys consider the Toyo Proxes as well before settling on the Potenza, or were you always certain that you wanted the Potenzas? Or did you get a deal you just couldn't refuse?

Just curious, as I'm still riding on the stock rubber and now clearly feeling its limits with the recent addition of the Comptech sways.

------------------
Mike
2001 Satin Silver CL-S
Comptech headers, sways, PIAA 19169

"Never underestimate the power of a dark CLown!" - Darph Bobo
Old 04-01-2001, 09:17 PM
hater

<font face="Verdana, Arial" size="2">Originally posted by H4mm3rm4n:
Droideka and JZ: did you guys consider the Toyo Proxes as well before settling on the Potenza, or were you always certain that you wanted the Potenzas? Or did you get a deal you just couldn't refuse?

Just curious, as I'm still riding on the stock rubber and now clearly feeling its limits with the recent addition of the Comptech sways.

</font>
Personally, no, because they were not available via Tirerack. JZ is the reason I ever even considered the RE730. I am EXTREMELY happy with the performance of the tires, and even more so with the unbeatable price. If I was keeping this car, I probably would have gone the extra mile and gone with S-02 Pole Positions, or the Michelin Pilot Sports.

------------------
a study in pimp daddy gold
Old 04-01-2001, 09:33 PM
Subie Dubie

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Droid,thanks for the great post.As a guy who just got sways and knows the stockers need to go it's good to get this kind of feedback.I'm pretty sure i'm gonna go with the Toyo Proxes but i may do some more investigating on the potenzas.

------------------
San Marino Red
Spoiler
Comptech Headers
Comptech Sways
Old 04-01-2001, 10:42 PM
JZ
Three Wheelin'

I saw the aggressive tread pattern, the unbeatable price and read all of the positive feedback from owners on the tirerack site. Plus, I didn't have a lick of knowledge about Toyo tires.

------------------
Black/black CLS
Koni yellows
PIAA 19169 road lamps
Solaris Hi beams
Potenza RE730 225/45/17
Red AEM CAI
35% mirror tint next
Old 04-01-2001, 11:17 PM
Racer

http://www.tirerack.com/tires/kumho/ku_712.jsp

i am getting these from tire rack, their ratings are up there...and its realllly inexpensive, to me the most important thing about tires are tread wear..this should last me 3 summers, then i'l put my stock tires on that still have good amount of tread left, and sell the car..

droideka, what is road noise like? louder or quieter than stock?
Old 04-01-2001, 11:59 PM
JZ
Three Wheelin'

Don't worry about the tread wear--I've had mine for almost 10k and they still look new. I really though they would've worn more by now since they are soft, but nope. You can't notice any difference in road noise--although when turning them at a stop you can actually hear them gripping the road.

------------------
Black/black CLS
Koni yellows
PIAA 19169 road lamps
Solaris Hi beams
Potenza RE730 225/45/17
Red AEM CAI
35% mirror tint next

[This message has been edited by JZ (edited 04-01-2001).]
Old 04-02-2001, 12:45 AM
hater

<font face="Verdana, Arial" size="2">Originally posted by deadlyCL-S:
droideka, what is road noise like? louder or quieter than stock?</font>
I apologize for leaving this out. Go back and read my "Impressions" section again.

------------------
Old 04-02-2001, 02:27 AM
Fight On SC!

nice tires. i'm contemplating the potenzas now, but will the 45 series throw off the speedometer?

superdds
Old 04-02-2001, 02:35 AM
Back to Four Doors

droideka,

This is one of the best posts on this board! As someone who is deciding on sways, tires, and other stuff, this sure helps. I will look hard at these tires PLUS the sways.

Thanks again.

------------------
Rex -
'01 CL Type S - Satin Silver, Navi, BBS RK
Lic: THX CBOE
http://albums.photopoint.com/j/View?...770&p=36712116
Old 04-02-2001, 02:39 AM
Instructor

<font face="Verdana, Arial" size="2">Originally posted by JZ:
Prepare to lose about 30 miles per tank due to all of that grip. I agree though, these are awesome tires at a great price and Tirerack does have great customer service!! Enjoy.

</font>
How do you figure?
Granted tires are different from one manufacurer to the next, just going by the the numbers alone would give you a 2% difference in speed at 70 mph. 215 50 17 gives you 70 mph, while 225 45 17 would read about 68.65. Factor in tire wear and such and it should be neglible.
Old 04-02-2001, 02:41 AM
hater

<font face="Verdana, Arial" size="2">Originally posted by superdds:
nice tires. i'm contemplating the potenzas now, but will the 45 series throw off the speedometer?

superdds
</font>
Yes. By exactly 1.932591218305506%. Use this calculator to see the results of deviating from stock sizes.

[This message has been edited by droideka (edited 04-02-2001).]
Old 04-02-2001, 02:44 AM
Fight On SC!

<font face="Verdana, Arial" size="2">Originally posted by droideka:
Yes. By exactly 1.932591218305506%. Use this calculator to see the results of deviating from stock sizes.

</font>
thanks man.

superdds

Old 04-02-2001, 02:48 AM
hater

<font face="Verdana, Arial" size="2">Originally posted by buddha:
How do you figure?
Granted tires are different from one manufacurer to the next, just going by the the numbers alone would give you a 2% difference in speed at 70 mph. 215 50 17 gives you 70 mph, while 225 45 17 would read about 68.65. Factor in tire wear and such and it should be neglible.
</font>
buddha, I believe JZ's referring to how much more gas you'll burn through because of the ability to corner faster.

------------------
'01 CL-S|Sundance Gold|Spoiler|35% Tint|Bridgestone Potenza RE730 225/45/17
Old 04-02-2001, 04:57 AM