Honda shoots itself in the foot once again :(

Search this Thread

Old 08-05-2002, 07:46 AM
'Cooter

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Honda shoots itself in the foot once again :(

further reducing my confidence in a competant car company :'(

RICHMOND HILL, ON, Aug. 2 /PRNewswire/ - Honda Canada Inc. has advised American importers of Canadian cars that Honda will no longer provide them with recall information. Honda claims that this action is needed to stop the flow of gray market cars from Canada to the United States. Honda stopped honouring warranties on imported Canadian cars about three years ago.

United States Registered Importers are licensed to certify that Canadian vehicles meet American safety and emissions standards. Last year, U.S. Registered Importers brought in 200,074 Canadian vehicles. Registered Importers have to determine if there are any outstanding recalls on a vehicle before it can be imported into the United States.

"Withholding recall information is dangerous and foolish", says Brian Osler, President of the North American Automobile Trade Association (NAATA).

"Honda is putting American car owners at great risk and is creating potential liability for itself. Honda's new policy is going to end up killing children and other innocent people.

Honda vehicles are more expensive in the United States. The dealer's cost in the United States is often higher than the retail price in Canada. American consumers try to buy cars from Canada because they can save 20 to 35 per cent on the purchase price.

"Honda, like other manufacturers, is trying to deprive American consumers from the benefits of free trade" says Mr. Osler. "Cars sold in Canada are virtually identical to those sold in the U.S.. Honda shouldn't be allowed to force people to drive around in cars with open recalls."
Old 08-05-2002, 07:57 AM
Administrator Alumnus

Received 131 Likes on 82 Posts
Uggggg...

Some things just don't make sense...
Old 08-05-2002, 08:14 AM
Team Owner

So why is this so bad ???

If people follow the rules and buy from a legit dealer they are “safe”.
If they buy gray market to save a few bucks, that’s their risk.
All those US regulatory crash tests and safety certifications save lives, but they also cost money.

I don’t understand why someone would buy a Canadian model with a Speedo that reads Km’s and daytime running lights just to save a few bucks.
Of course you DO get that “low washer fluid” light.

Shawn S
Old 08-05-2002, 08:33 AM
'Cooter

Originally posted by Shawn S
If people follow the rules and buy from a legit dealer they are “safe”.
If they buy gray market to save a few bucks, that’s their risk.
All those US regulatory crash tests and safety certifications save lives, but they also cost money.
it IS legit!! US REGISTERED importers, man...it's a legit and logical business if cars are basically identlcle in both the US and Canada...in this case, "gray market" i think was kinda misused, which may have thrown u...the quotes are perfectly valid and true

y should i have to suffer if i'm trying to save 20% - 35% legally???
Old 08-05-2002, 08:44 AM
trying to get a lil V-I

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Originally posted by Shawn S

I don’t understand why someone would buy a Canadian model with a Speedo that reads Km’s and daytime running lights just to save a few bucks.
Of course you DO get that “low washer fluid” light.

Shawn S
Saving 20%-35% is equivalent to saving $6200 - $10850 on a $31000 car. I'm guessing to change over the KM gauge wouldn't cost more than $1,000. I wouldn't say that's "a few bucks".

And like Scooter said, I believe "gray market" was mis-used in the article.

I've seen the day time driving lights on Integras, civics, etc, but, I don't think I've ever seen them on the CL-S. Anyone have a pic?
Old 08-05-2002, 08:51 AM
Team Owner

Originally posted by Scooter
it IS legit!! US REGISTERED importers, man...it's a legit and logical business
I guess if it’s done LEGALLY, then you do have a point.

But again, if it’s done LEGALLY, I imagine much of the savings are eaten up by the importer.
You would think the importer would be able to track the recalls on the Canadian side and keep its own database of US owners.

I read your post again and they also mention there is NO WARRANTY on the cars.
What’s with THAT ???
It’s not worth saving 6,000 if you don’t have a warranty.

Shawn S
Old 08-05-2002, 09:53 AM
go like hell

if I remember right sometime early in the year like January or Febuary Dodge(well the Dodge family) did something like this. If you buy a car in Canada and bring it across the boarder(well other than to visit)(but what I'd do is get a Postal box in canada cause technically you could claim residence in both spots):P .(you guys gotta think of ways around the law) I personally don't think they could refuse your warrenty as long as you got a address in both countries. and grant it a PO box here in USA is what 30 bucks or something like that a year. even in Canada let say it 's 100 bucks if you save 1000 bucks(that's on the light side) your still 900 bucks ahead of where you started(it almost paid for a set of headers)
Old 08-05-2002, 09:57 AM
Suzuka Master

Uhhh...I don't know what i'm missing here, but if I was Honda I sure as hell wouldn't want to be losing money that way.
Old 08-05-2002, 10:56 AM
Advanced

There's a dealer in my hometown that sells new cars directly imported from Canada w/o warranties b/c the mfr's won't let him sell them w/ a warranty. You save substantially, but of course there's that risk . . . . There's no "gray" about this, it is entirely legal due to the North American Free Trade Agreement. The guy sells Jeep, GM, Honda, Ford, Subaru and Lexus. The trade off is that he passes on huge savings to those willing to buy so there is not a big chunk eaten by the importer. Not offering people recall info could be construed under NYS law, as "willful, malicious" acts lining the mfr up for punitive damage awards. I would welcome taking on Honda like this (beat GM 5x on this same issue). The Canadian equivalent of NHTSA should be told about this as well. I'll have to call my Cdn contact to put a bug in his ear. Of course, NHTSA shld be told as well, I'll call my bud George and see what he can do.
Old 08-05-2002, 11:34 AM
Suzuka Master

damn this is like the case of CIGARETTE laundering LOL
Old 08-05-2002, 12:33 PM
Three Wheelin'

Two questions: WHY are the same cars so much more expensive in the US? And what about people who move to the US and bring their cars with them?
Old 08-05-2002, 12:45 PM
trying to get a lil V-I

Originally posted by mt6forlife
Two questions: WHY are the same cars so much more expensive in the US? And what about people who move to the US and bring their cars with them?
1) higher tariff taxes in the US probably
2) they're screwed...haha...actually i don't know.