Honda joins IRL in another stunning blow against CART

Search this Thread

Old 05-24-2002, 06:01 AM
Suzuka Master

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Honda joins IRL in another stunning blow against CART

http://sportsillustrated.cnn.com/mot...3/honda_irl_ap

:thumbsdn:

The IRL races only on ovals, while CART is becoming, in the words of car owner Bobby Rahal, "a de facto road-racing series." To help strengthen each series' identity, CART should stick to the roads and only come onto the oval for the Indy 500.
I-R-L = G-A-Y

*sigh*

Followup stories:

Scorecard: A New Direction

ABC chief says CART's days are numbered

No merger in sight as IRL, CART officials meet
Old 05-24-2002, 06:10 AM
Suzuka Master

in other news....

Honda Racing Performance Development shop

HPD (HONDA PERFORMANCE DEVELOPMENT)
Nestled in the rolling hills and horse country of Santa Clarita, California, 30 miles north of Los Angeles, HPD (Honda Performance Development) maintains, tests and develops Honda CART racing engines.

"STATE YOUR BUSINESS"
Few activities outside of the government are as secret as the insides of a Honda racing engine

No address listed, maybe I'll do some searching for 24900 ...
Old 05-24-2002, 07:13 AM
Banned

Sorry man, but I agree with Honda's decision. CART has been too spoiled for too long! CART is a bunch of fair haired sissy boys that wouldn't even race at Texas Motor Speedway because they got head aches! PULEEEEEZE! The IRL raced their just fine several times. So what if the IRL is 15 mph slower at TMS than CART cars. If you can't stand the G forces then get out of the cock pit! Also, the CART engines have nothing to do with stock development. I mean what car runs a 3.5 liter turbo V8? At least the IRL runs a stock block that can be related to a normal production car. If I were Roger Penske I would have left CART too!
Old 05-24-2002, 03:44 PM
Suzuka Master

Originally posted by bone_stock
Sorry man, but I agree with Honda's decision. CART has been too spoiled for too long! CART is a bunch of fair haired sissy boys that wouldn't even race at Texas Motor Speedway because they got head aches! PULEEEEEZE! The IRL raced their just fine several times. So what if the IRL is 15 mph slower at TMS than CART cars. If you can't stand the G forces then get out of the cock pit! Also, the CART engines have nothing to do with stock development. I mean what car runs a 3.5 liter turbo V8? At least the IRL runs a stock block that can be related to a normal production car. If I were Roger Penske I would have left CART too!
yea i remember that fiasco, thats the one where the drivers had vertigo?

I think Honda left partly because CART rules and restrictions on engine design and requirements were cramping their style.
Old 05-24-2002, 03:51 PM
Full-Time IDIoT---DoH!!!

Received 16 Likes on 10 Posts
I'm w/ honda on this one I agree and think CART has become spoiled and thinks it can do whatever it wants. Also like someone just posted, at least they can apply that racing technology 2 some of their production cars
Old 05-24-2002, 03:53 PM
Banned

Yeah, the CART guys are sissies That 15 mph makes a huge difference in forces.

As far as technology preference in the series, I guess I see your point about "stock" development, but half the fun in attending a CART race is hearing the turbochargers on the cars. There's plenty of race classes out there that use "stock" develoment, I'd rather leave one FI racing class here in the US...
Old 05-24-2002, 03:59 PM
Cost Drivers!!!!

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Eh tough guy you want people to die because they passed out entering a turn experincing 3-4 g's? How about you do it?
Old 05-24-2002, 04:28 PM
Floyd Mayweather Jr.

Received 5 Likes on 3 Posts
I agree the IRL sucks...say no to oval racing!:thumbsdn:
Old 05-24-2002, 04:31 PM
Banned

Originally posted by Black CL-S 4-Life
I agree the IRL sucks...say no to oval racing!:thumbsdn:
Old 05-24-2002, 04:40 PM
Subie Dubie

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
I'm with Zap and Pull-T on this. Drivers were losing conciousness, and a few were disoriented on the track !! You do 250 and pull those Gs and then talk. IRL is crap imho, we've got enough ovals in NASCAR. I do agree that CART has no one to blame but themselves. Thet have the best drivers by far, dominated and won both Indy 500s since they returned and drive on numerous type courses all over the world. But they had horrible or no management until recently and pissed off the major manufacturers. Two years ago they had Mercedes, Honda, Toyota, and Ford. Next year none of them will be in the series. That blows !!!
Old 05-25-2002, 12:27 AM
Banned

Originally posted by Red Rider
I'm with Zap and Pull-T on this. Drivers were losing conciousness, and a few were disoriented on the track !! You do 250 and pull those Gs and then talk. IRL is crap imho, we've got enough ovals in NASCAR. I do agree that CART has no one to blame but themselves. Thet have the best drivers by far, dominated and won both Indy 500s since they returned and drive on numerous type courses all over the world. But they had horrible or no management until recently and pissed off the major manufacturers. Two years ago they had Mercedes, Honda, Toyota, and Ford. Next year none of them will be in the series. That blows !!!
Exactly...you guys can comment all you want about the mismanagement of CART (and I'd prolly agree), but don't slight the driving talent in that circuit...
Old 05-25-2002, 01:11 AM