Highway Robbery ala-Porsche!

Search this Thread

Old 04-29-2003, 11:25 PM
Moderator Alumnus

Received 8 Likes on 8 Posts
Highway Robbery ala-Porsche!

You know, I knew that German companies have different philosophies about cars in general, but Porsche folks come from another planet.

I was looking at the TMV (True Market Value) on edmunds today and I see that a typical (base) 2003 911 Carrera goes for $81,505!!! At that point I thought, "what the hell? Am I so out of touch on the pricing of this car? I thought this car cost around $70K!". Well yes and no. The car starts at $68,334 I see above.

http://www.edmunds.com/new/2003/pors...le..1.Porsche*

The TMV according to Edmunds is supposed to be the typical "out the door" price of the car you select around the contry for that week. So the typical Porsche 911 Carrera is equipped with $12.5K worth of options! OK. Let's see what they are:

All prices in TMV form as well (MSRP prices on options are even higher of course)

Leather Interior Package = $2,968 Ouch!

Porsche Communication Management II = $2,620 Holy....!

What the hell is this anyway?

I read:

Porsche Communication Management II =

Includes 5.8" screen with 12-button keypad, 2-tuner top-radio with integrated CD-Rom/Audio drive, GPS navigation module and on-board computer with simultaneous indicator of basic audio and navigation information.

OK, what else?

Bose High End Sound Package = $1,619

So at $70K this car comes with a "not good enough of a stereo"? To need to spend another $1.7K on it? Our CLS came with Bose standard (I am sure it's not as good as that one, but still...) Hmmm... OK. What else?

Power Seat Package !!! I cant believe what I am reading!!! This car at $70K has NO POWER SEATS?!!! So how much?

Power Seat Package = $1,544 !!! Holy crap! I am thinking that this must be some magic power seat package because of its price plus the fact that the car does not have it in its base form. So I read the explanation:

Power Seat Package =

Includes 8-way power front seats with 4-driver memory setting.

So, there is nothing there. It's just power seats.

Man!!! What else?

Black Leather Seats = $1,514 !!!

Wait a minute. We just paid $3K for leather seats I thought (Leather Interior Package = $2,968) So, what is the Black Leather Seats?

Black Leather Seats = Includes standard leather interior trim and seat base, rear seat center and rear lateral supports in Black leather

So what is Leather Interior Package?

Leather Interior Package =

Includes standard leather interior trim and switch trim central air vent mounting, slats and divider, T-divider, cupholder trim, lower switch trim, instrument surround, hazard warning light surround, trim strip, ignition lock surround, side air vents and slats, defroster trim, alarm light surround, loudspeaker finishers on switch panel, doors and rear with loudspeaker grilles on switch panel and doors painted in interior color.

OK I quit!

What else is there that people usually buy a 911 with?

18" Turbo Look II Wheels = $1,429. Well, OK. This sounds most logical considering the above.

Finally:

6-Disc Remote CD Changer = $712 Oh Man! They charge $700+ for a 6-Disc Remote CD Changer! How much are the doors again?

BMW is a saint compared to this.

It gets better. I could not believe my eyes when I saw THE LIST OF OPTIONS for this car! One can have a Masters in Porsche Optional Equipment studies, it is so long and complicated!

Here:

http://www.edmunds.com/new/2003/pors...pt..2.Porsche*

Finally, the one good thing that came off of all that (other than realizing what Highway Robbery ala-Porsche feels like) was my "discovery" of a, so called, Carrera Power Kit 345 HP!

Wow! I thought, you can have your base 911 engine go up 30HP. That's not bad. So how much?

Answer: $13,936

Oh that's it. I quit!
Old 04-29-2003, 11:31 PM
Moderator Alumnus

I am now thinking, $55K for a Boxster S is a STEAL! And yes that's the TMV on it. You can get it for $51K with 2K miles on it.
Old 04-30-2003, 12:06 AM
Moderator Alumnus

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Porsche is the single most profitable car company around (which really isn't a surprise)......they offer a million à la Carte options. Some are reasonable , some are expensive, and some are extremely expensive (like the X51 package, non Turbo power upgrade).

Ever see a $69k Carrera interior? It looks like doody (plain, boring and cheap looking). The Viper is worse, but its a crazy car....so I don't mind.

My friends Carrera had an MSRP of $82k, which is at the start of being "really" nice (the exterior is covered, 18s/Fixed rear spoiler/side rocker panels)......but for the interior to look great, it needed another $5k worth of leather/carbon.

Porsche cars are nice, but they are overpriced.
Old 04-30-2003, 12:11 AM
Safety Car

Received 15 Likes on 14 Posts
tru....a couple of months ago I priced a boxter s with all options at about $80k...yesyes i know the options are expensive...but a z4 with all the options is not almost 2x the base price

but, a porche is a porche...if you want to own one, you cant concern yourself with small things like...money...
Old 04-30-2003, 12:18 AM
Happy CL-S Pilot

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
... If you want to own porsche your either:

1) Bill gates
2) Drug dealer
3) Hi Class. Prosti.
4) An Internet Analysist

Old 04-30-2003, 08:54 AM
Senior Moderator

Received 15 Likes on 7 Posts
Originally posted by gavriil
I am now thinking, $55K for a Boxster S is a STEAL! And yes that's the TMV on it. You can get it for $51K with 2K miles on it.
Yes. The options do add up quickly for a new porsche.

There was an article in a recent EXCELLANCE mag about buying a new X50 (or whatever it is) 911. The buyer didn't buy his car off the lot w/ options that the dealer picked, but rather ordered his porsche to be built to his specs.

The buyer was presented with a book (not a small dealer brochure that most car companies offer) of the various options he could choose. And this is not counting what the Porsche factory "special wishes" department is able to turn out which is just about anything (want a pink 911 from the factory, for a price, you can order it).

I also read a writeup somewhere that said basicly that the Cayenne was a decent bargain pound for pound when compared to the other new porsches (911, boxster).

With the Cayenne, you get more doors, more seats, more everything, including a vehicle that at 5000lbs weighs almost twice as much as the other cars in the lineup. The level of standard equipment is quite good for the price (60k's).

Even though I like to bash porsche for being a sportscar company that makes an suv, I have to admit that the Cayenne is one of the best if not the best SUV's out there.

With all the stuff packed into a Cayenne, it makes the other porsches look extremely overpriced.
Old 04-30-2003, 10:30 AM
Safety Car

Originally posted by greenmonster
Yes. The options do add up quickly for a new porsche.

There was an article in a recent EXCELLANCE mag about buying a new X50 (or whatever it is) 911. The buyer didn't buy his car off the lot w/ options that the dealer picked, but rather ordered his porsche to be built to his specs.

The buyer was presented with a book (not a small dealer brochure that most car companies offer) of the various options he could choose. And this is not counting what the Porsche factory "special wishes" department is able to turn out which is just about anything (want a pink 911 from the factory, for a price, you can order it).

I also read a writeup somewhere that said basicly that the Cayenne was a decent bargain pound for pound when compared to the other new porsches (911, boxster).

With the Cayenne, you get more doors, more seats, more everything, including a vehicle that at 5000lbs weighs almost twice as much as the other cars in the lineup. The level of standard equipment is quite good for the price (60k's).

Even though I like to bash porsche for being a sportscar company that makes an suv, I have to admit that the Cayenne is one of the best if not the best SUV's out there.

With all the stuff packed into a Cayenne, it makes the other porsches look extremely overpriced.
tru tru, its probably a nice suv...BUT do you want to pay $60k for an S, and $90k for a turbo? An SUV??? For that dough wouldn't you get something more luxarious, like a Range Rover?
Old 04-30-2003, 10:38 AM
Moderator Alumnus

The other great deal is the soon-to-arrive 911 GT3. Which I know will start at $99.9K I am guessing it has very few options. If that's the case, then it's a DEAL compared to a well equipped 911.

I agree with the Cayenne being a better value. Especially the S (not so much the turbo). Talking about the Cayenne Turbo, I posted this in the Automotive News section of the forum, it is now confirmed that there will be a factory kit for upping the power of the Turbo engine to 500HP. I wonder how much. That car needs that kind of power though. It's heavy as hell.
Old 04-30-2003, 11:00 AM
Racer

Most folks that buy a Porsche are not concerned w/ adding 20 - 30K for options. The car is often a statement car rather than a "logical" choice (btw-can any car purchase really be considered logical? We'd all be driving 10 year old Civics if that were the case).
What is better (not just 0-60, but all around) for $80K? Viper - possibly depending on your tastes, M3? - not the same panache, M5? - close, but different category, Pre-owned F-Car? - not if you see the maintance bills or want a daily driver. The to be reales Aston Martin looks like it will be great competitor though. Definately see you points, but I don't know that I'd buy anything else for $80K.
Old 04-30-2003, 11:09 AM
Moderator Alumnus

Originally posted by Haus
Definately see you points, but I don't know that I'd buy anything else for $80K.
Putting it that way, it makes sense. I tried to think of the top of my head what would I buy if I had 80K and only 80K, and you're right. I cant think of anything MUCH better than a 911.
Old 04-30-2003, 11:33 AM
Moderator Alumnus

Originally posted by gavriil
Putting it that way, it makes sense. I tried to think of the top of my head what would I buy if I had 80K and only 80K,
I would take a serious look at the Maserati coupe.....there is a guy around me that has one, that is a hot car and extremely exclusive.

Frankie Muniz is actually pimping one now, that kid's taste is moving quite along from his F&F Jetta buying days.
Old 04-30-2003, 11:42 AM
Senior Moderator

Received 223 Likes on 184 Posts
Our head trader has had 2 911's. He didn't pay more then $75K with the good options. If your into a Porsche, get a slightly used one with 2-3K miles current year. You'll be amazed at how much you save.
Old 04-30-2003, 12:04 PM
Moderator Alumnus

Originally posted by Beltfed
I would take a serious look at the Maserati coupe.....there is a guy around me that has one, that is a hot car and extremely exclusive.

Frankie Muniz is actually pimping one now, that kid's taste is moving quite along from his F&F Jetta buying days.

You're right. I forgot about that car. Actually the more I think about it, it would probably be the one I'd choose. The V8 and its sound are a big plus.

One mag characterized the Coupe as a luury Corvette. And that's exactly what I would chose. If you think about it, our CLS and the Maserati are in the same general category. A luxo-GT. It's just that our CLS is a LOT more inferior.
Old 04-30-2003, 02:49 PM
Drifting

Received 9 Likes on 6 Posts
I said it once and I'll say it again......SL55 AMG.
Old 04-30-2003, 03:47 PM
Racer

Originally posted by cmark
I said it once and I'll say it again......SL55 AMG.
Not for 80K. Those cars are $100K+.

Beltfed - Nice call on the Maseratti Coupe, didn't even think of that. I saw some at the local Ferrari dealer...definately a hot car.
Old 04-30-2003, 03:51 PM
__

thank god topgay isn't here....

This thread reminds me how hard it is to price a porsche on the road. When I see a Porsche I never know how much it costs.
Old 04-30-2003, 04:44 PM
Safety Car

why not a jag XJR coupe or sedan? Either one is fuking killer. For pure sports...i dunno...i GUESS porche is decent for $80k...unless money has almost no worth to me, I'd still try and get something thats comfortable and luxarious at the same time as sporty. But i suppose you could do that with a bently and a GT2 in your driveway
Old 04-30-2003, 05:06 PM
__

Originally posted by bkknight369
why not a jag XJR coupe or sedan? Either one is fuking killer. For pure sports...i dunno...i GUESS porche is decent for $80k...unless money has almost no worth to me, I'd still try and get something thats comfortable and luxarious at the same time as sporty. But i suppose you could do that with a bently and a GT2 in your driveway
yes XKR's are hot. My buddy has a conv. and when i drive it: !
However, for people who care about resale values, the XKR was just written up in the Wall Street Journal as one of the worst.
Old 04-30-2003, 05:07 PM
Community Architect
robb m.

Received 626 Likes on 277 Posts
I like my porsche plenty...but I got it when it was already a few years old...I could have had mine, or a 99 carerra for the same price, i took the 96
Old 04-30-2003, 05:16 PM
Three Wheelin'

Originally posted by Astroboy
I like my porsche plenty...but I got it when it was already a few years old...I could have had mine, or a 99 carerra for the same price, i took the 96
"BINGO" pick one out now, wait three years and save 50%,,
Old 04-30-2003, 05:39 PM

Porsche is the single most profitable car company around (which really isn't a surprise)......they offer a million à la Carte options. Some are reasonable , some are expensive, and some are extremely expensive (like the X51 package, non Turbo power upgrade).
Yup, they get profits from the VW Beetle since they designed that car as well.
Old 04-30-2003, 06:35 PM
'Cooter

can u guess how much this interior cost???