HELP! Removed the sunroof visor and.............

Search this Thread

Old 07-23-2002, 08:12 AM
Shift_3.5 Auto

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
HELP! Removed the sunroof visor and.............

Fuggin great! The holes in the rubber of my sunroof visor have been cracking and peeling. I decided to remove the visor and WHALA! There is fuggin crease or line that goes around the whole front of the sunroof where the rubber of the visor layed. I don't want to put the visor back on because it looks like shit (the rubber is peeling), but I don't want to leave it off because of the indent and scratches including the line that outlines where the visor was. I tried Zaino, blackfire, and scratchX. Should I just get a new visor or is there a place that can fix the above mentioned?! Please help!

And yeah, Radley acura did install my visor, is there anything they should do for me, like free visor or, replacement rubber seal or fix the shit the visor did to my roof?
Old 07-23-2002, 08:29 AM
'Cooter

i just had my visor replaced this past Friday b/c of faulty stripped screws, and i saw the crease yer talking about...i'd say try and get a free one due to the rubber and see what happens...if u can't score a free one, i really don't know what to tell u...since u don't wanna leave the marks exposed, sounds like u wanna get a new one...just make sure this time they use some sort of thin padding that protects the area the visor rests on

otherwise, have u tried something like the 3M swirl remover??? that may help remove some/most of the scratches...use it also for the crease, then follow up with the Dawn, Z1, then Z2 (or Z2 w/ ZFX)...i've found that Z2 actually helps dull out white areas, like on my front bumper, and restore color
Old 07-23-2002, 08:38 AM
Shift_3.5 Auto

Originally posted by Scooter
i'd say try and get a free one due to the rubber and see what happens...if u can't score a free one, i really don't know what to tell u...since u don't wanna leave the marks exposed, sounds like u wanna get a new one...just make sure this time they use some sort of thin padding that protects the area the visor rests on
Thx scooter- I just called Acura and there is a warranty on the visor. After driving around without a visor for two years i put one on in november last year. The warranty is good for a year, and Radley will give me a new one free. I will install it this time and I will personally cover the areas with padding.

I washed the car yesterday, after noticing the marks, and I noticed the indent/line is ingraved pretty deep. It actually looks like shit even polished out. It's all good. I will just install the free visor and not worry about the marks. I feel bad for the sap that will be buy my car when i trade it in.
Old 07-23-2002, 09:22 AM
Drifting

I have the same problem. I got the sunroof visor but i started to hate it, so i took it off. Now there is a line/indent all the way around the sunroof. I left it alone, there is nothing i can do. I don't want to put the visor back on.
Old 07-23-2002, 09:36 AM
Team Owner

This is the EXACT reason I don’t have one on my car.
I had one on the 2001, but I saw what it did to the red paint when I removed it.
It’s sitting on the shelf in the garage right now and that’s probably where it will stay unless I sell it.

I do miss the benefits it provided INSIDE the car, but don’t care for the look on the outside.

Shawn S
Old 07-23-2002, 09:36 AM
Find beauty in dissonance

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Re: HELP! Removed the sunroof visor and.............

Originally posted by ThoroDredCLS
... crease or line that goes around the whole front of the sunroof where the rubber of the visor layed.
The crease might come out over time. The summer heat will help. Get the new visor, but leave it off for a month. See what happens.

Something to note, you can not replace the rubber around the sunroof - the whole sunroof must be replaced, glass and all. Big $$ for a little crease.
Old 07-23-2002, 10:06 AM
Shift_3.5 Auto

Shawn I know what you mean about the look w/o the visor. I only bought the visor for sun and the black color of my car. I will pick up the visor anyway, but I will not install it for about amonth (marc's advice) and I will see if zaino/blackfire/3w/scatchx will cure the area that was affected by the visor. If not, visor goes back on, i hate imperfections on my paint.
Old 07-23-2002, 10:13 AM
Senior Moderator

Received 1,080 Likes on 661 Posts
Don't waste your money on scratch removers/abrasives.

If you can feel the crease with you fingernail, it's not gonna come out. Once you've worn through the clear coat, nothing but a repaint will fix it.

Save your money.
Old 07-23-2002, 10:15 AM
Ain't No Other...

if you ever decide to put that visor back on your car you might want to apply some 3M clear bra material on where it touches the paint, you can buy some bulk material from www.xpel.com, relatively cheap and might want to use some 3M rubbing compound (fine cut) on the area, I have a big bottle and it is amazing what that thing can do, I had some runs from clearcoat from the bodyshop and I sanded it with 1500 grit sandpaper, not 2000 and the rubbing compound got that haze from the sandpaper off with a little elbowgrease, and it is not that harsh...trust me, I'm a freak when it comes to caring for my car...
Old 07-23-2002, 10:17 AM
Ain't No Other...

Originally posted by NSXNEXT
Don't waste your money on scratch removers/abrasives.

If you can feel the crease with you fingernail, it's not gonna come out. Once you've worn through the clear coat, nothing but a repaint will fix it.

Save your money.
In that case, you might want to put some clear coat touch up paint on the crease, let it dry, see it there is still a crease, if so, put some more on, until the crease has been filled, then get 2000 grit sandpaper and sand it down level, then use the fine cut 3M rubbing compound to get the haze out...amazing stuff.
Old 07-23-2002, 10:22 AM
Shift_3.5 Auto

Originally posted by SinnedTL

In that case, you might want to put some clear coat touch up paint on the crease, let it dry, see it there is still a crease, if so, put some more on, until the crease has been filled, then get 2000 grit sandpaper and sand it down level, then use the fine cut 3M rubbing compound to get the haze out...amazing stuff.
Hey! Thx guys! I will try out all the ideas and post pics for the b4 and after affects for people who might go thru this problem.
Old 07-23-2002, 10:58 AM
Team Owner

The really strange thing about what it did to my car was that the paint was actually RAISED where the rubber touched it.
There was an actual “bump” in the paint in the exact shape of the rubber gasket.
The top of the bump was scratched to hell and rough to the touch.
If I had sandpaper of the right type I could have probably leveled it out.
My best attempts with ClayBar, Zaino and even some minor abrasives did nothing but put a shine OVER the bump.

I tried taking pictures once a while back, but you couldn’t see it clearly in the digital photo.

One conciliation.....If the new owner decided to purchase a visor he probably had no problem at all lining it up properly on the car.

Shawn S