HELP!! Rear Brakes Wrecked??!!??

Search this Thread

Old 01-11-2003, 08:42 AM
Masshole

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
HELP!! Rear Brakes Wrecked??!!??

Took my car to the dealer this morning for routine maintenance and a few other things, including a noise I'd been hearing from the rear wheels (posted last week about wheel noise). The service advisor called me to tell me the rear rotors have rust ridges and that the pads are down to bare metal, and the whirring noise I hear when rolling to a stop is the metal rubbing on the rust ridges in the rotors.

I have about 61,000 miles on the car. I was in for a service in August (~ 48,000 miles), and the rears were noted to be 4mm...good, according to the tech's description. I asked the advisor if it could be from warped rotors or anything like that, and he said there was no warping. It's gonna cost $479.95 for new rotors, pads, etc., and labor. D'OH!!

I do a lot of driving, mostly highway (congested during rush hours). Does this amount of wear sound right to y'all, or am I kinda gettin' porked? I appreciate any help y'all can offer.

Thanks!
Old 01-11-2003, 08:51 AM
Do it! U Only Live Once!

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Bulldog, is this your first set of brakes? Because if it is, then you did pretty well. Why don't you look into those crossdrilled perforated rotors that you see on the Porcshes. If you look into it, let us know the cost and the particulars. I used to live in MA. and have a friend in NH (Plaistow). Stay warm.
Old 01-11-2003, 09:03 AM
Masshole

Originally posted by Pappy
Bulldog, is this your first set of brakes? Because if it is, then you did pretty well. Why don't you look into those crossdrilled perforated rotors that you see on the Porcshes. If you look into it, let us know the cost and the particulars. I used to live in MA. and have a friend in NH (Plaistow). Stay warm.
First Rears, yes. The Fronts were done, under warranty, at ~ 41,000. I didn't really want to look for other brake setups right now. I guess I won't be getting my nitrous this winter, though :thumbsdn:

Where in MA? I live in Derry, now, but used to live in Portsmouth and near Lowell, MA. Stay warm... ...it was 17 degrees on my outside thermo in the CL-S this morning when I left for the dealer...damn, I hate winter!
Old 01-11-2003, 09:39 AM
Drifting

I'd look to after market rotors and pads. Unless you're experiencing brake fade (due to heat in the rear rotors, not very likely) getting drilled/slotted rotors isn't going to improve anything. No need to stay with Acura service as you don't have any brake warranty left (except if you have a problem shortly with the fronts). Most car braking is done with the front brakes, so I'm a bit surprised that your rear brakes are gone at 61,000 miles (are you really hard on brakes?), and would have expected that the pads have some kind of wear warning to prevent going to metal?
Old 01-11-2003, 10:05 AM
Do it! U Only Live Once!

Originally from Sharon, MA. My daughter lives on a farm in Townsend, MA. She just sent me some great pictures of your last snow storm. When I get home sick, I just stick my head in the freezer and look around. That cures it. I agree with CO, maybe you shoud just stick the the standard brakes. You really did pretty well at 61K+. Ok...off to the beach! Ball Bussin' Pappy.
Old 01-11-2003, 10:29 AM
Moderator Alumnus

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts
Ya, it sucks now that the tolerances on the rear rotors are small. On almost all cars produced today they have to replace the rear rotors because they can't machine them. I found that out on my Jeep grand cherokee.

Anyone actually had the rears machined? (cut)
Old 01-11-2003, 11:03 AM
Masshole

Originally posted by Pappy
Originally from Sharon, MA. My daughter lives on a farm in Townsend, MA. She just sent me some great pictures of your last snow storm. When I get home sick, I just stick my head in the freezer and look around. That cures it. I agree with CO, maybe you shoud just stick the the standard brakes. You really did pretty well at 61K+. Ok...off to the beach! Ball Bussin' Pappy.
You're breakin' em alright...LOL.

I graduated from Acton-Boxborough, and when I was married, lived in Westford.

My g/f's dad is lookin' at a house somewhere in West Palm Beach, I think. Nice place to visit ?
Old 01-11-2003, 11:16 AM
Happy CL-S Pilot

$480

You are being SHAFTED_hard (As in the Nissan new Ads)!!!

Man rear rotors and brakes should not cost more than $150 for parts and the brake/rotors is 1-2 hrs max job... at $59.99 rate you should not pay more than $300... is this at Sunnyside Acura? is so, have u asked for a detailed labor/parts estimate?

For parts check with tirerack.com... You can get brembo rotors for like a $100 a pair?

Since you are in Derry... there are 2 places to check:

1) Ed's Acura/Honda (he is an Acura Master Factory Trainned Tech) in Lowell, MA. http://www.nhcoupons.com/coupons/ed.htm
2) http://www.mechanicsdirect.com also in Lowell, MA
Old 01-11-2003, 03:25 PM
Masshole

Originally posted by Nashua_Night_Hawk
$480

You are being SHAFTED_hard (As in the Nissan new Ads)!!!

Man rear rotors and brakes should not cost more than $150 for parts and the brake/rotors is 1-2 hrs max job... at $59.99 rate you should not pay more than $300... is this at Sunnyside Acura? is so, have u asked for a detailed labor/parts estimate?

For parts check with tirerack.com... You can get brembo rotors for like a $100 a pair?

Since you are in Derry... there are 2 places to check:

1) Ed's Acura/Honda (he is an Acura Master Factory Trainned Tech) in Lowell, MA. http://www.nhcoupons.com/coupons/ed.htm
2) http://www.mechanicsdirect.com also in Lowell, MA
SHAFTED_Hard...that's funny shit, Nashua!

I went to Sunnyside, alright. I was looking on the web for some other options, but I didn't have much time, because I needed to get the work done quickly :thumbsdn: . I received a detailed work description, as I always do. I couldn't really find much in my search, so the parts guy at Sunnyside took $60.00 off the rotors ($79.95 each, instead of $109.95 each). Ended up being $220.87 for parts and $199 for labor ($134.00 for the rotors and $65.00 for the pads...$85.00 an hour...??)

I also replaced an original tire (61k...kept it for the track - almost a slick ). This is the second tire in a week, because I caught a huge-ass pothole on 93 last week, and bubbled the side wall . Put on winter wipers and replaced the bulb behind the tripmeter RESET button (under ext. warranty...wohoo!!).

So, I've spent just about a grand this week on my car, and it's no faster :angry: . That's an intake, headers, and a bit towards nitrous...FUCK!!

Although, it's safer, I suppose .
Old 01-11-2003, 04:08 PM
Happy CL-S Pilot

Good luck for the next time... I am due for a 45Kmile big ass service, I will do it my self....

nothing major ... only fluids... Oil, ATF, Coolant fush, CAI cone re-charge. Inspecting the brake pads... I may need to adjust the Accessory belts tensioner and amergency brake cable.

And I will throw in couple Fuel Injector cleaners.

Next spring, new tires maybe new Brembo blank rotors and EBC green stuff pads ( if needed ) I had the front pads replaced and front rotor resurfaced at 20kmiles.

Mostly a rutine service. ( I do have a 100 kmiles EW for power train)

I will have to schedule a warranty work for:

1) the righ door handle is coming off and need to be reinstalled correctly.
2) the mufflers has to be repainted as per TSB
Old 01-11-2003, 05:50 PM
Race Director

I think you did ok. At 67k, I just replaced my rear brakes for the first time. Pads only. Parts and labour: $171