Help from NJ residents please....

Search this Thread

Old 07-09-2002, 11:58 AM
Burning Brakes

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Help from NJ residents please....

was traveling on the Palisades around 12am Monday morning when a Palisades Interstate Cop pulled me over for doing 71 in a 50. He had paced me and gave me a ticket.

My question is this, what is the best way to fight this? My court appearance is in 2 weeks and I was wondering if some jersey people could give me some advice.

Thanks!!

-Rich
Old 07-09-2002, 12:29 PM
Three Wheelin'

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Hire a Lawyer. Thats what I do. The prosecutor usually will bargain it down to a non-point violation. Or call a cop friend to call the cop.

Good Luck
Old 07-09-2002, 12:32 PM
Burning Brakes

Originally posted by NJ_CLS_driver
Hire a Lawyer. Thats what I do. The prosecutor usually will bargain it down to a non-point violation. Or call a cop friend to call the cop.

Good Luck
Well since I'm a NY resident and the ticket was issued in NJ there won't be points to deal with. I'm trying to avoid an insurance hike!! I will look into your suggestions though, thanks!!
Old 07-09-2002, 01:44 PM
Suzuka Master

Received 698 Likes on 540 Posts
Re: Help from NJ residents please....

Originally posted by rmarin2
was traveling on the Palisades around 12am Monday morning when a Palisades Interstate Cop pulled me over for doing 71 in a 50. He had paced me and gave me a ticket.

My question is this, what is the best way to fight this? My court appearance is in 2 weeks and I was wondering if some jersey people could give me some advice.

Thanks!!

-Rich

Sorry to tell you my friend, but you are basicly fuked.... In the state of NJ you can bring 10 lawers and can still give you points for minor violation.... NJ is the worst state to get pulled over.

Spread your ass and get ready to be raped by your insurance company
Old 07-09-2002, 01:46 PM
Burning Brakes

Re: Re: Help from NJ residents please....

Originally posted by russianDude

Sorry to tell you my friend, but you are basicly fuked.... In the state of NJ you can bring 10 lawers and can still give you points for minor violation.... NJ is the worst state to get pulled over.

Spread your ass and get ready to be raped by your insurance company
Well points isn't an issue because I'm a NY resident, but I'm trying to have it reduced so insurance won't find out about it!
Old 07-09-2002, 02:02 PM
Suzuka Master

Re: Re: Re: Help from NJ residents please....

Well points isn't an issue because I'm a NY resident, but I'm trying to have it reduced so insurance won't find out about it!
LOL, points are an issue. Have you heard of Tri-State law that allow them to transfer points in the tri-state area.
depends on your insurance company, some will raise your premiums if you get even 1 point, some will wait until you accumulate more than certain amount.
Old 07-09-2002, 02:04 PM
Burning Brakes

Re: Re: Re: Re: Help from NJ residents please....

LOL, points are an issue. Have you heard of Tri-State law that allow them to transfer points in the tri-state area.
depends on your insurance company, some will raise your premiums if you get even 1 point, some will wait until you accumulate more than certain amount.
Hmmm. Well I've known a few people who have gotten tickets in jersey and didn't receive points on their NYS license. But I will look into that further!!
Old 07-09-2002, 02:13 PM
Suzuka Master

Re: Re: Re: Re: Re: Help from NJ residents please....

Hmmm. Well I've known a few people who have gotten tickets in jersey and didn't receive points on their NYS license. But I will look into that further!!

Wish you good luck .... NJ cops are pigs and NJ traffic court sucks also....
Old 07-09-2002, 02:24 PM
Racer

Bro do you know how many points are associated with this ticket? I suggest you go to court, talk to the prosecutor before the judge comes in, and he'll help you out. You'll end up paying more upfront, but it'll save you money with your insurance company in the long run. Put it this way if your ticket is a $193, you'll end up paying closer to $260, but your points will be reduced from 4 points to 2 points. The prosecutor usually tries to help you out a bit, especially if your record is clean. That's at least what happened to me, and my insurance company "forgives" the first two points on your policy. Good luck, hopefully shit works out for you!
Old 07-13-2002, 11:42 AM
Burning Brakes

Re: Re: Re: Re: Help from NJ residents please....

Here is what I found on the DMV website:

New York DMV does not record out-of-state violations committed by NYS drivers in other jurisdictions, except for out-of-state alcohol or drug-related violations (e.g. DUI) and moving violations committed in Quebec and Ontario. Therefore, except for violations in Ontario and Quebec, points are not added to your NYS record for out-of-state violations.

However, if you fail to answer a ticket or pay a fine for a moving violation in any state except Alaska, California, Michigan, Montana, Oregon or Wisconsin, your NYS license will be suspended until the ticket is answered or the fine is paid. A driver from any state, except the six listed above, will have his or her license suspended for failure to answer a moving violation summons or pay a fine in NYS.

If you are convicted of an alcohol or drug-related driving violation in any state, your NYS license will be revoked for at least six months. Otherwise, except for convictions in Quebec or Ontario under special agreements, out-of-state traffic convictions are not recorded on NYS license records and do not carry points.

Out-of-state drivers ticketed in NYS should contact their home-state DMV about the affect of a conviction in NYS.