Help!!! I've Been Vandalized

Search this Thread

Old 06-15-2003, 09:41 PM
Instructor

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Help!!! I've Been Vandalized

I came home from a afternoon outing with my family and came home to see that some bastard had smashed my rear window, it looks like a bibi shot or something, but nonetheless the entire back window has been shared into ity bity pieces and the only thing keeping me from having a back seat full of glass is my tint, well anyways i just want to know if any of you guys have had to replace the rear window?

I'm assuming since the the antenna is on the window there's more than just a piece of glass back there right? I just wanna know if i can get it from any glass place or this looks like an all Acura order? If so does anyone know how much a rear shield with the defogger and antenna run, I just wanna know if i should claim it on insurance or not.

One more thing is this gonna be a big deal to remove are they gonna have to do some reconnecting of wires and stuff or removing a whole unit or somthing because the window gots so many thing to it

thanks for the info guys,

happy fathers day to all the fathers
Old 06-15-2003, 09:49 PM
Team Owner

Any reputable glass repair place should be able to replace it no problem and they’ll know exactly what to do with the defroster and radio wires.

If you have a LOW comprehensive deductible I would go through your insurance.
For the glass, install and re-tint it will EASILY be several hundred dollars.

Shawn S
Old 06-15-2003, 09:57 PM
Instructor

well my deduct is $300 so it will be a wash if it's gonna be $200 or something, but first thing tomorrow i'll go to a glass place, i just tried backing out and any movement shatters the glass even more so i hope i make it in one piece so to speak

thanks shawn
Old 06-15-2003, 10:04 PM
Team Owner

Look for one of those mobile places that will come out to your house/employer to swap the glass.
They should be able to give you the cost over the phone.
I wouldn’t drive it. Any amount of air on the rear glass from driving will cause it to cave in.
If you MUST drive I would say try and support if from inside with some old pillows or blankets and maybe some DUCK TAPE and/or cardboard on the outside.

Shawn S
Old 06-15-2003, 10:11 PM
Liquid Ice

Received 89 Likes on 48 Posts
If the glass is completely shattered I would do what Shawn S suggested and have them come to YOU to replace the windshield. If it costs more than $300, just claim it on the insurance ... If I remember correctly, comprehensive claims (which is what this falls under), won't raise your premium at all.
Old 06-15-2003, 10:12 PM
Suzuka Master

Put a couple towels and bed sheets down and smack the damn thing... Get out your shop vac and go to town...

See if you can get the window tinted before they install the glass, they do everything from the outside with large suction cups.

Expect to see a bill of 350+ on this one..

Take into account your window tint cost too when turning it in through your insurance.. Don't forget your receipts too!!

Best Wishes.
Old 06-16-2003, 12:30 AM
Race Director

Are you sure you insurance company does not waive the deductable for glass? Mine does, free glass...everyday, all day, all year. Check it out, you might save some money. Good luck, it can be replaced like new by any glass company.

For everyone else, you might want to check your insurance too, for some states, this is a mandatory option, and you generally have to request this, and believe it or not, there is no premium increase for this. For safety reasons.....
Old 06-16-2003, 01:09 AM
///M POWER

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
tint is a saftey feature, it shouldnt be illegal. it can save you from the glass hittin your face
Old 06-17-2003, 07:25 PM
Instructor

Update

Just to let everyone know for future reference the replacement including rear glass w/ labor, seal, molding total $1200, yah! So it's being replace, hell yeah it was an insurance claim, no brainer. Makes me wanna back into everywhere i park now knowing how much the rear glass costs, might me more than all the others combined.
Old 06-17-2003, 08:46 PM
Suzuka Master

How many estimates did you get?... name of well known co.??
Care to share the name? Dealer? Did you look into what Kensteele said...

:thumpsup: Ken, I will talk this over with my insurance guy if the guy ever returns my damn phone call... I am still trying to find out about the rating change so he can adjust my premium..

Smitty