Help: Buying a car from overseas ?

Search this Thread

Old 01-13-2004, 10:56 PM
Smack My B*tch Up

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Help: Buying a car from overseas ?

I saw an ad online for an M3 SMG and it was for a realy good price, but when I emailed the seller this is what I get for a reply:

==============================

Hello There,

Thank you for your interest in purchasing my car. First of all I must inform you that currently I'm in Amsterdam, Holland and I have to let you know that the M3 car is here with me and it is in a perfect condition. I am the first owner of the car.

The car is still for sale and it has never been damaged in any way. It's condition is outstanding and most important I have a clear title which you will receive it with the car. It can be registered into your name, so stay cool about this. The odometer shows 2541 miles. The problem is that I had to move with my family in Holland, Europe. I brought the car here with me with the intention of driving it but when I found out about the very high holland import duties I have made up my mind and decided to sell the vehicle back to the USA.

I have to tell you that I have other serious offers that I have to consider and I will make a decision regarding this sale function or time of payment and price. I want to tell you that I've choosed this type of sale to escpape by the non-paying possible bidders.

The car is as new, with no scratches and it was never involved in an accident. You can check the VIN (WBSBL93443JR23415) on www.CarFax.com The paint looks just as new, the car was always garaged. As options, the car has all premium packages, premium sound, bixenon headlights etc.

The price I hope to obtain is USD 30.000 (this price includes the shipping and insurance because I am willing to cover the air freight to the USA) and if you agree with this price we can start to complete the transaction.

The payment method is by using a money order service. I prefer money order because in this way I will ship the car in the same day you make the payment. During the time I learned that the best deals are closed when the risk involved is minimum.

You will arrange payment through Western Union (www.WesternUnion.com). In case you want to ship you the car right now you have to make me a confirmation for 15% of the amount of money (USD 3750) and after you receive and inspect the BMW you have to send me the rest of the money. The inspection period for it is 10 days.

I have something safe for you because I want you to be sure that you will receive the car and I hope we will collaborate in future too.

Look what I can do for you:

- You will make the transfer to my location but not to my name (you will use your best friends name for example as receiver's name) so you can be sure that I will not pick up the money until you get the car. So you make a deposit at Western Union and you will give me the transfer's details (MTCN, SENDER'S NAME, RECEIVER'S NAME) so I can check that the deposit was made. After I verify I will send you the car immediately.

- Only after you will receive the car and check it if it ok you will have to change the receiver's name of the transfer to my name so I can collect my money. So until you will have the car in your hands the money will be deposited on your best friend's name at Western Union agent.

I think it is better to not inform Western Union that you will change the receiver's name in a few days because it is possible they ask you to pay the fees twice (fees that are quite big for such an amount). When you will go to the Western Union office to wire the
money sometimes they ask you why are you doing that. If you will tell them that they are for something you have bought, I will have to pay when I pick up the money a very expensive tax for making commerce. Please say you send the money to your friends or to your
partner.

Also, I can accept 2000$ through from the amount prior and in this case I will take you as a serious and possible buyer and arrange a further deal but in this case you have to come in person to the car's location to see the car and take it back with you or you can send a
friend or agent that lives near by to inspect the car and pay the rest of the money.

If you are agree with this method you can transfer the 2000$ from your home using your credit card via phone calling 1-800 CALL CASH service of Western Union that is a free of charge phone number and is available 24 H a day.

After you've completed the transfer you will receive a confirmation that will allow me to track the transfer. Here are the details that I need:

- Sender's Name and address
- Receiver's name will be me
- Exact amount wired
- MTCN # (10 digits)
- If it is possible a scanned copy of the receipt format .JPEG for me to add to the files

As soon as the payment will be confirmed and the money properly sent, I will IMMEDIATELY proceed with shipping if you sent me the 15% of the amount or I will hold the car for you if you've deposited only 2000$.

In case you've payed the 15% of money I will ship the car via Lufthansa Airplane Cargo insured and it will take 72 hours until you will have it at your door. The shipping is free. The shipping taxes will cost arround USD 2600, but of course that I will cover them.

The 15% of payment are fully refundable if for any reason you do not accept the car or if the car has scratches, hidden defects, or it is not as advertised. I will even pay for the shipping back to my location if you reject the car but since it is a state of the art BMW and works and looks perfectly I think it would get to this.

Here is my name and address you need for the Western Union transfer:

First Name: xxxxx
Last Name: xxxxx
Address: xxxxxxx
City: Amsterdam
Postal Code(ZIP): 1017 WZ

If you agree with these terms,let me know and I will be more than glad to start to complete the transaction with you.

Thank you and I hope that you will have the pleasure to drive this car!

Thank you and Happy New Year

Is this for real ??? Should I trust this guy by the methods mentioned above ?

Thanks for your help in advance
Old 01-13-2004, 11:08 PM
///M POWER

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
hmm, seems fishy, a m3 w/ 2 thousand miles for 30k, better not gimmie the # or i'll buy it
Old 01-13-2004, 11:26 PM
Suzuka Master

Received 20 Likes on 15 Posts
don't do it...
Old 01-13-2004, 11:41 PM
Drifting

i had the same thing happen to me n my dad last yr.
01-02 M5.. donno remember yr. with very very low milage for only $45k. was overseas to. he wanted deposit in escrow but it had to be to good to be true. so we just told da guy we werent interested in it ne more.
Old 01-14-2004, 01:07 AM
something witty

try to find an international escrow service if you are serious, and offer to pay the fees. otherwise, if it sounds too good to be true...
Old 01-14-2004, 06:56 AM
Team Owner

At that price I would have to call
That's too good a deal and too many ways for the "seller" to screw you out of the money.

Shawn S
Old 01-14-2004, 07:34 AM
Senior Moderator

Received 1,080 Likes on 661 Posts
I would tell the guy you're going to fly out to Amsterdam and do the deal in person. See what he says.
Old 01-14-2004, 07:43 AM
Administrator Alumnus

Received 131 Likes on 82 Posts
Yeah, tell him you'll fly out there.

Shit, for 30K it seems WAAAAAAAAAAAAY too good to be true.

I'd buy it for that price and get rid of the G in a heartbeat.
Old 01-14-2004, 08:08 AM
Where is my super sauce?

Originally posted by NSXNEXT
I would tell the guy you're going to fly out to Amsterdam and do the deal in person. See what he says.

Something's not right here...the deal, the money involved, the western union transfers, how is the car currently titled (Dutch or US?), import tariffs/taxes, warranty. I would consult someone experienced in international auto deals, maybe even BMW themselves.
Old 01-14-2004, 08:08 AM
Suzuka Master

SCAM
Old 01-14-2004, 08:10 AM
registered pw

Received 354 Likes on 252 Posts
Originally posted by Smitty
SCAM
Old 01-14-2004, 08:19 AM
registered pw

look what i can do for you

you give me the 3750 and i will drive to bloomfield and drive you to a bmw dealer to test drive an m3!!
j/k there are a ton o red flags here.

i dunno if i would report this person, b/c this is an ongoing scam. if you had this person e-mail back i would make sure in your profile it does not give yer name or location just to be on the safe side
Old 01-14-2004, 08:21 AM
registered pw

o and 15% of 30k is not 3750 its $4500
Old 01-14-2004, 08:22 AM
Administrator Alumnus

Received 131 Likes on 82 Posts
Tell him that, ironically enough, you have to make a business trip to Europe in a few weeks and you can stop by and take a look at it.

Smitty put it best...

SCAM
Old 01-14-2004, 08:31 AM
who got the best deal?

it could be a scam just as it could be real, if he says it cost 30k and the car usually cost around 45k right?? you could bear the expense of flying there and just bringing the car back. ask him for a phone number and address call him up and tell him your already there see what he says
Old 01-14-2004, 08:39 AM
Homeless

Scamola...

He says he doesn't want to pay the duty on the car...

Newsflash...

If the car is in his possession, in Amsterdam, he ALREADY paid it.
Old 01-14-2004, 08:41 AM
Homeless

And, no one can 'air frieght' a vehicle...they ride on the slow boat to China...not to mention, that itself costs about $3 of $4K...
Old 01-14-2004, 08:41 AM
Race Director

Received 4 Likes on 4 Posts
Yeah it looks to be

The price alone its too go to be true. 30k which includes shipping would make the car like 25k or so.
Old 01-14-2004, 09:06 AM
Smack My B*tch Up

alright, I'm convenced that its a scam..

Thanks for your help
Old 01-14-2004, 09:09 AM

Its a scam... Once you tell him the name its under all he has to do is make a fake ID and pick up the money. You will never see the money again...

Don't do it. Its a SCAM.....
Old 01-16-2004, 11:23 AM
Smack My B*tch Up

I can't believe I even considered it :o

http://www.carbuyingtips.com/fraud.htm :

How Fake Escrow Scams Operate: The scheming "sellers" have ads on eBay Auctions, eBay Motors, every known vehicle and motorcycle classifieds site, Amazon Z-Shops, etc. This Internet fraud has become an epidemic, but you need not be paranoid. You are buying a used car (or other product) on eBay, Autotrader.com, CycleTrader.com, Yahoo Classifieds, etc., and you see a hot BMW or Mini Cooper, or Camry, or Mercedes, or Harley Davidson whose selling price is much lower than other listings for the same item. So you ask the seller a question. The seller replies with a "Dear Sir" form letter, rarely do they mention your name, it's all scripted. He wants you to use a particular escrow site, "he's used them many times already." You'll discover later via a WHOIS search that the site was only created the week before, and the liar could not have used them several times. Like a fool, you register a new escrow account at the online escrow site that the seller recommended, usually a polished looking site. The escrow sites list "license numbers" with the state. Some generously sprinkle official looking logos from the BBB, Verisign Secure, TRUSTe, and Internet Fraud Complaint Center! Some fake escrows are brazen and warn you about internet fraud! Most fake escrows falsely claim Copyright 1999 or 2000 to appear they have been around a while. Feeling secure, you send your $28,000 to the escrow company and lose it forever. You never hear from the "seller" again. He ignores your emails, does not answer the throw away cell phone he bought to act as his phone number to scam you. Fake escrows herd you into 3 payment methods:

Payment Type 1: Makes you pay via Western Union cash transfer usually to Spain or Italy (real bad move, never pay for auctions with WU!)
Payment Type 2: Makes you unknowingly send payment into the E-Gold, or E-Bullion networks, EvoCash or E-Dinar type currency transfers.
Payment Type 3: Makes you wire payment directly from your checking account to what you think is the "escrow company's" bank account.

Hey, stupid!
Let me get this straight. You're going to blindly use the escrow service the seller tells you to use without basic verifications? That's like letting a real estate agent choose your property attorney. You're not going to verify the escrow site's license with your state? Takes 5 minutes! You're going to Western Union $8,000 to someone you don't know? Do you really believe some idiot in the Netherlands is really going to pay the transport charges and fees to get your car to the U.S.? You're not going to verify the escrow site's usually non-working phone number? I have a better idea. I'm going to send you a postage prepaid box with my address on it. Just stick your wallet and your checkbook in the box and mail it back to me. Wouldn't you rather give all your money to me, someone you like, rather than deal with the heartache of knowing you got scammed in a car fraud? Let's turn you into a donkey.

Old 01-16-2004, 01:29 PM
It's not over yet

even though is a scam , keep stringing him along then at the last minute when he thinks he has ur money , flake on him just to piss him off. damn dirty rotten scammers.
Old 01-16-2004, 01:45 PM
Suzuka Master

Received 20 Likes on 15 Posts
Originally posted by agui
even though is a scam , keep stringing him along then at the last minute when he thinks he has ur money , flake on him just to piss him off. damn dirty rotten scammers.
I agree with that..
Old 01-16-2004, 02:55 PM
Drifting

i've seen this scam before.
Old 01-16-2004, 04:38 PM
Parting out 02 Type S :(

Originally posted by agui
i actually had the same experience. some guy in spain was selling me gt1's with tires for 1k shipped!
i knew he was faking it because he kept his eyes to focused on getting the money. he didnt know enough about the rims or offer any knowledge.
rather than trying to trace him down first, i called tirerack and got the offset #'s the rim was made in.
then i emailed this guy back and asked for an offset that i know was not available. he obviously responded claiming he had them in stock, and he had pretty much any tire i would want to be mounted.
i kept leading him on, because he had wasted so much of my time, i wanted to mess with him.
he tried to use UPS exchange collect with me, but the UPS email he sent was completely fake. he basically impersonated UPS and asked to have the money transfered to a ups account. now, if you check out this exchange collect service, it sounds pretty secure. but its just another way a scammer can exploit it for their benefit.
point is not to be scared of a good offer, just be suspicious and make sure you do everything you can to make sure of the situation.
you can get ripped off(price wise) as well, it doesnt have to be a too good to be true offer. the only reason you see too good offers more often from scammers is because they know the dude that falls for it will rush easier and hence the chances of a successful scam go up.
if you really want to get back at the guy, try calling up your pd and insist a setup for his ass. most of the these scammers are amateurs and can be traced down within minutes. i was able to tell where my scammer was because the dumbass was using aol dialup.
he obviously set up an account in spain or whereever else, or has friends out there. then he sits at home here in the states and scams as many people as possible. its the most convenient method for him.
Old 01-16-2004, 11:19 PM
///M POWER

i'd fuck w/ him, just tell him u sent hom the money order and it should be coming anyday now, then when he calls u up when it aint comin tell him to go fuck him self
Old 01-18-2004, 04:22 AM
MP90 uninstalled

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts
it looks like this is some of the same bull shit at autotrader.com. take a look.

for M3
http://www.autotrader.com/fyc/vdp.js...=&cardist=1554

and at:

for M5
http://www.autotrader.com/fyc/vdp.js...=&color=&cardi

take a look.

someone should report these people.

jim
Old 01-18-2004, 04:28 AM
MP90 uninstalled

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts
I guess the M3 could be real. price is low though
Old 08-02-2004, 11:25 PM
Kenpachi Teichou

Sounds like a huge rippoff to me. Wouldn't it be nice if it was for real though?
Old 08-03-2004, 03:04 AM
Safety Car

Received 15 Likes on 14 Posts
wtf 7 month old thread?
Old 08-03-2004, 03:20 AM
Adventurist.

Received 58 Likes on 22 Posts
Old 08-03-2004, 04:18 AM
Senior Moderator

Received 388 Likes on 196 Posts