Hello all -- Newbie to car-modding :)

Search this Thread

Old 08-20-2009, 12:19 PM
8th Gear

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Smile Hello all -- Newbie to car-modding :)

How's everyone doing? i recently got an '01 CL-S and I'm pretty excited! i've never driven a sports car before, this thing is a ton of fun to drive.

i'd also like to start modding it too but i've never modded a car before.

here's a picture:

Hello all -- Newbie to car-modding :)-dkppt.jpg

it's not even tinted yet! that's probably the first thing i'll be doing. but i'd like to clean up the inside a bit too. the most noticeable thing is this tape that's coming off from the sunroof, any ideas on how to replace it?

Hello all -- Newbie to car-modding :)-tfhhe.jpg

i'd like to do it myself without having to go to the dealer.

the first thing i did was ordering some M6 Polargs for the foglights because the stock ones are fugly. i like the deep red color of this car.

i have a question though. how can i blacken the headlights? i tried searching but found nothing. i was also thinking about clearing too, but i don't know if it'll match well with the red color. what do you think?

thanks!
Old 08-20-2009, 12:38 PM
Pro

Congrats dude! That tape isn't OEM so definitely take it off. Grate color, how many miles do you have on it?
Old 08-20-2009, 01:25 PM
Suzuka Master

Received 208 Likes on 187 Posts
Welcome to Acurazine!

you can just rip that tape off, not sure why its even there.

for the headlights, you'll have to bake them if you DIY or buy 03 headlights.
Clearing/Painting Headlights
https://acurazine.com/forums/showthread.php?t=69798

I got that link from the 2G CL info thread, check it out. its at the top of the page.

great choice on the polarg bulbs. you may have to sand down the side a little cause the bulb is a little big.

if you would like any mod ideas, just give us a hollar!
Old 08-20-2009, 01:33 PM
8th Gear

thanks. it's got 60k on it, one owner that took care of it.

i'll go ahead and take that tape off. i wasn't sure why it was there either.

i'm debating on whether to keep the gold emblem or to replace it with silver. i'm not sure which one looks better yet.

as for the headlights, i don't think blacked out looks good with the red color. i might just go with the 03 headlights. they look nice. does it matter if i buy OEM or at a junkyard?

also, on the driver's side... the arm that contains the window buttons (not sure what to call it) the interior is kinda pulled out a bit near the edge. i'll post pictures in a bit. anyone know how to fix that?
Old 08-20-2009, 01:43 PM
Suzuka Master

does the trunk have gold on it too?

well when you say blacked out, you mean the housing inside is painted right? cause i wouldnt tint the outside of the headlights. if you paint the outside yourself, then thats a cheaper way to get the look of the 03 headlights. and i would buy them at the junkyard. they are already kinda expensive but the dealer will cost you an arm and a leg.

this is what DIY painted housings look like. 03s look very similar.

and im guessing you mean near the buttons, the arm rest is kinda seperating out like this?
Old 08-20-2009, 01:47 PM
P.

Received 7 Likes on 6 Posts
Welcome, looks good! Def tint it out helps keep the leather new, and keeps one cooler in hot weather. As for the gold emblem/grill, me personally I hate the gold package and would change it, and would also pull off the pinstripe
Old 08-20-2009, 01:48 PM
Pro

60k not bad

I'm not a fan of the gold Embls. but if i had a red cl i would paint them gloss black.

OEM lamps are to expensive. Find a yard that may have them

Nice find dude, keep us posted on upgrades

X2 on the pinstripe
Old 08-20-2009, 02:18 PM
Instructor

Grats!~ I'm basically on the same page as you..got a CL-S recently too...(2 months ago)...xD
Old 08-20-2009, 02:26 PM
Instructor

Welcome to azine
Silver emblems look way better imo
nice pick up SMR is a great color
Old 08-20-2009, 02:37 PM
8th Gear

Originally Posted by aznboi2424
does the trunk have gold on it too?

well when you say blacked out, you mean the housing inside is painted right? cause i wouldnt tint the outside of the headlights. if you paint the outside yourself, then thats a cheaper way to get the look of the 03 headlights. and i would buy them at the junkyard. they are already kinda expensive but the dealer will cost you an arm and a leg.
the trunk has gold on it too and I meant the housing yeah. i'm not too familiar on the verbiage yet haha. does it matter if i go the 03 lights or just paint the 01s myself? any recommendations?

Originally Posted by aznboi2424
and im guessing you mean near the buttons, the arm rest is kinda seperating out like this?
that's exactly what's happening. i'm assuming that's just standard wear and tear?

yea i plan on removing that pinstripe. it is ugly.

Originally Posted by 02CLNOS
I'm not a fan of the gold Embls. but if i had a red cl i would paint them gloss black.
paint the emblems? i can do that? (haha) i was thinking about just replacing them all-together with the silver.

i'm not too fond of the gold either but it was a good deal and i plan on playing around with it. once all the tinting and these small little upgrades are done i plan on getting some wheels and then work on dropping it + other exterior stuff.
Old 08-20-2009, 02:51 PM
Suzuka Master

painting the lights are cheaper but some people dont like to do it and it can leak on you if you dont close it up correctly. but many have had success. I suggest you go look at the DIY before you decide.

if your trunk has it too, then its gonna be kinda hard to find all the emblems (unless you go to junkyard) and its gonna be a pain to replace them all. its up to you though.

as for the armrest, heres the link to fix that:
DIY Fix the gap in your armrest:
https://acurazine.com/forums/showthread.php?t=187099
Old 08-20-2009, 02:56 PM
Missing My CL-S

Received 13 Likes on 12 Posts
welcome. i always liked the red. are you going to lower it?
Old 08-20-2009, 02:58 PM
Suzuka Master

once all the tinting and these small little upgrades are done. he plans on getting some wheels and then work on dropping it + other exterior stuff.
Old 08-21-2009, 12:49 PM
Whats up with RDX owners?

Received 8,265 Likes on 4,877 Posts
Welcome. Have fun with it.

Dont forget to search the FAQs for info and also use the search function (even though it sucks). I good way to narrow down your results is to use quotes around what you are searching. e.g. "clearing headlights"

If you cant find it, dont be afraid to ask. Most of us on here have done alot of crap to these cars and we can share some tips.

Yes! I beat Noah to it!!!
Old 08-21-2009, 06:12 PM
Chamorro

Received 17 Likes on 14 Posts
Originally Posted by shocked
thanks. it's got 60k on it, one owner that took care of it.

i'll go ahead and take that tape off. i wasn't sure why it was there either.

i'm debating on whether to keep the gold emblem or to replace it with silver. i'm not sure which one looks better yet.

as for the headlights, i don't think blacked out looks good with the red color. i might just go with the 03 headlights. they look nice. does it matter if i buy OEM or at a junkyard?

also, on the driver's side... the arm that contains the window buttons (not sure what to call it) the interior is kinda pulled out a bit near the edge. i'll post pictures in a bit. anyone know how to fix that?
Nice buy! Welcome! Good decision on taking the pinstripe off. As far as the headlights, it really depends what you want to do. Here is a DIY for clearing the headlights. While you have them apart you can paint the inside to get the look of the '03's. Kill two birds with one stone. I would have painted mine but at the time i cleared them i didn't want the '03 look.

https://acurazine.com/forums/2g-cl-frequently-asked-questions-52/d-i-y-clearing-headlights-495390/

You can fix the gap on your door handle. Its a little bit of work cause you have to take the door apart to get to it. If you search I'm sure you can find the write up for it in the FACTS section.

GL with the work. Make sure to come back if you have questions!
Old 08-24-2009, 12:48 AM
Your Garage

Received 6 Likes on 6 Posts
welcome dont be a stranger to the second gen TL side, we have the same car with 2 extra doors
Old 08-24-2009, 07:57 AM
I got the Shifts

Received 230 Likes on 163 Posts
steps
1. remove tape
2. upgrade rotors so that your steering wheel doesnt shake in 10k miles (it will shake)
3. do the pads while youre doing the rotors (replace this stuff yourself, we will help you out and save you $$$)
4.lower it
5.get performance mods
Old 08-25-2009, 01:41 AM
The TARDIS is my

^a guy who knows what he's talking about

truth.
Old 08-25-2009, 02:42 AM
Team Owner

Received 2,334 Likes on 1,962 Posts
Old 09-03-2009, 04:42 PM
Instructor

for the arm rest, had the same thing happening (but a bit worse... more open)... the way I solved it: clean it, scrape a bit inside, first glued with good epoxy mixture and before applying pressure used some crazu glue arround the epoxy (without letting any out)... press for 10 minutes... dont let the glue spill and spoil the outside, be very carefull, if you have to remove control after it can be done easy but you may need to re glue afterwards... most CL-S suffer from the same issues... this site is the best trouble shooting guide ever... I think even dealerships look for advise here... You will probabbly experience the clock light not lighting (1 good punch on left side will do it), engine will turn but not start (re solder fuel pump relay under steering column), erratic idling (clean IAC valve), shaking when braking (upgrade rotors and pads), brake light comes on (replace brake fluid and clean lid and sensor)... replace tranny fluid every each other engine oil change or at least once a year to provide some extra protection... love my CL-S... great mileage, tons of power (mine has no cat converter), confortable as a luxury car... reliable as death (you can always trust her), amazing trunk space, excellent value for your money... I would not change my 2001 for anything I could buy brand new in the $20,000 range... mine has 80K miles, tranny perfect (this tranny is great, besides the isues it has, it is like having a robot inside it shifting for you)... handling is awesome (obviouslly there will be performance vehicles by far superior but you need to spend some serious bucks)... where I live there are only two of them, mine that is NHB and a white one (CL-P)... I have the only CL-S 2nd generation in the whole country (I´ve seen a couple of TL s around (2 or 3) and a first gen CL... so it stands out even being almost 10 years old! I drive 100 miles to work every day, part of the route is a highway where I kick some serious ass every day cruising at 120 mph easily (I see beemers and Lexus disappear on rer view mirror)...
Old 09-03-2009, 05:04 PM
B A N N E D

Location: The grande.. Riverdale NJ.. Hopefully moving to skyline village in Lincoln park NJ..yes dirty jersey
Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts
With the door comming apart issue the easiest way to fix it (well the way I used) was get some gorilla glue or epoxy clean it put the glue on it and get a Shower curtain holder (spring loaded) And pop it in there so it is pressing against both parts of the door thats comming apart. My shower curtain holder / bar fit perfectly and that way you can keep alot of pressure appliad for a long period of time w/o getting your arms tired..
Old 09-03-2009, 05:16 PM
Suzuka Master

Received 668 Likes on 390 Posts
welcome fellow SMR owner. get the modding started.
Old 09-03-2009, 05:23 PM
B A N N E D

Location: The grande.. Riverdale NJ.. Hopefully moving to skyline village in Lincoln park NJ..yes dirty jersey
The best upgrade I ever did to this car was lowering it a inch and a half.
Improved the look and handling, I went B&G shocks and springs for less then $500 shipped and car handles and lookd lovely... Also when paired with a progress Rear sway bar ($150) w/comes with polyuritane bushings, the handling increases dramatically compared to stock.. I also changed from sway bar bushings with polyurethane and got some MOOG sway bar links front and rear which is less the $90 and they are 2x beefier and greasable while on car (has grease nipple)... If u do that then the car is gonna look 3 X better and take turns double the speed stock w/minamal body roll.. I sometimes foget im driving a FWD car where 70% of the weight is under the front wheels...

Then power headers are your #1 HP gain... u have a few choices for Auto Megan Racing and OBX can be found under $300 shipped then there is commptech and DC sport
Headers will give you 15-25 hp alone...
Then there are CAI or comptech Icebox or just removing the resonater or whatever (i am not familiar w/this but many here have tried this)
Then there is a lightwieght pulley Unorthodox racing has one for a couple hundred i think by OPtion makes one on Ebay that i got for $25 and works fine just gotta get diff belts cuz the pulley is smaller.. Some say the tach rises quicker and get some power but minimal i felt nuttin... but can u feel 3-5 hp?
Then Outlaw engineering makes TB and IM spacers and some other company makes a TB spacer PR2 or P2R and the also make pleniums (sp) that will add a few hp (might as well go do the 3.7 TL IM swap instead..

Thats some of the stuff I did oh yeah Brakes...
You can do a legend coupe or NSX caliper swap and change those single piston fron calipers to daul pistons OR spend a crapload and get a big brake kit Brembo , stoptech , willwood I think make then for our car and I think the wilwoods are the cheapes u can find the for $700-$800 cuz the stock brakes DO SUCK and do WARP!
Old 09-03-2009, 05:26 PM
B A N N E D

OH yeah WELCOME aboard and I think the GOLD emblems ONLY look good and the san marino red (or whatever they car that red) The gold goes GREAT with the red Leave it alone...

I forgot to say that comptech makes a SC but $4000??
Old 09-03-2009, 05:37 PM
Suzuka Master

Originally Posted by StonedCL
OH yeah WELCOME aboard and I think the GOLD emblems ONLY look good and the san marino red (or whatever they car that red) The gold goes GREAT with the red Leave it alone...

I forgot to say that comptech makes a SC but $4000??
you can get a used S/C in the black market section for $2000. thats where i got mines.
Old 09-03-2009, 06:35 PM
B A N N E D

Originally Posted by p.diddy
you can get a used S/C in the black market section for $2000. thats where i got mines.
You got VERY lucky, I guess if he wants to wait around u can find anouther one for the 2K range but arent they over 4K new?
Old 09-03-2009, 07:13 PM
Suzuka Master

Originally Posted by StonedCL
You got VERY lucky, I guess if he wants to wait around u can find anouther one for the 2K range but arent they over 4K new?
there 4k new but there in the $2000-$2500 range used.

Last edited by p.diddy; 09-03-2009 at 07:16 PM.
Old 09-04-2009, 12:32 AM
To many cars in my garage

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts
I Thought it was easy to open the 01 headlights and paint them it just looks hard but its not

HID fogs looked the best IMO

Welcome to A ZINE
Old 09-04-2009, 02:16 AM
Chamorro

Received 17 Likes on 14 Posts
Originally Posted by MrFluffy
I Thought it was easy to open the 01 headlights and paint them it just looks hard but its not

HID fogs looked the best IMO

Welcome to A ZINE
Its not the most difficult mod, but it def takes some time and hard work. You can paint them to match the '03. Lots of people have done it. Also just taking them apart to take out the diffusers is always a nice clean look
Old 09-04-2009, 07:29 AM
Suzuka Master

Received 574 Likes on 409 Posts
i think nobody told you about tranny issues im not a auto guy i have 6speed get an tranny cooler b4 start modding. Welcome to Azine. first thing rip the gold emblems off or paint it flat red or black then lower it tint it too 35% front 20% rear works good for me
Old 09-04-2009, 07:35 AM
Suzuka Master

Received 574 Likes on 409 Posts
where do you live huh?

Originally Posted by PANAMARED
for the arm rest, had the same thing happening (but a bit worse... more open)... the way I solved it: clean it, scrape a bit inside, first glued with good epoxy mixture and before applying pressure used some crazu glue arround the epoxy (without letting any out)... press for 10 minutes... dont let the glue spill and spoil the outside, be very carefull, if you have to remove control after it can be done easy but you may need to re glue afterwards... most CL-S suffer from the same issues... this site is the best trouble shooting guide ever... I think even dealerships look for advise here... You will probabbly experience the clock light not lighting (1 good punch on left side will do it), engine will turn but not start (re solder fuel pump relay under steering column), erratic idling (clean IAC valve), shaking when braking (upgrade rotors and pads), brake light comes on (replace brake fluid and clean lid and sensor)... replace tranny fluid every each other engine oil change or at least once a year to provide some extra protection... love my CL-S... great mileage, tons of power (mine has no cat converter), confortable as a luxury car... reliable as death (you can always trust her), amazing trunk space, excellent value for your money... I would not change my 2001 for anything I could buy brand new in the $20,000 range... mine has 80K miles, tranny perfect (this tranny is great, besides the isues it has, it is like having a robot inside it shifting for you)... handling is awesome (obviouslly there will be performance vehicles by far superior but you need to spend some serious bucks)... where I live there are only two of them, mine that is NHB and a white one (CL-P)... I have the only CL-S 2nd generation in the whole country (I´ve seen a couple of TL s around (2 or 3) and a first gen CL... so it stands out even being almost 10 years old! I drive 100 miles to work every day, part of the route is a highway where I kick some serious ass every day cruising at 120 mph easily (I see beemers and Lexus disappear on rer view mirror)...
Old 09-04-2009, 04:10 PM
Instructor

/\ Panama (Central America... Panama Canal?)