hehe.... friends 'Stang vs. a WRX

Search this Thread

Old 12-28-2001, 02:57 PM
Nosferatu

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
hehe.... friends 'Stang vs. a WRX

Well... don't know if it's coincidence or not, but me and my friend ran into a WRX this week. (all this crap started by wrx boy and we get to play with one). I was following my friend in his '85 stang which he was taking to storage. Kept it out longer due to the nicer weather in Chicago up until Christmas, now it just sucks. Well, about a mile from his garage where he stores his two race stangs (this '85 and an '87), we stopped at a red light, him in front and me in back. At that moment, this kid and his friend (I'd say late teens) pull up on the right in a WRX. Nice and shiny, probably just washed or something.... (had plates so not 100% new.) Well... my friends stang isn't the nicest looking one as it's almost a pure drag car (roll cage and all, however, the roll cage is not too visible due to some nice installation and modification work). Well, I saw the driver look at his friend and say something while tiling his head in my friends direction. (implied he was making fun of him and his 'beater' stang.) My other friend that was with me in my CL-S, immediately used his nextel phone to inform my other friend of this. He then proceeded to rev his engine at the WRX and I saw the kids in the wrx start laughing. At this point I started laughing. Why? You ask? Just wait and read and you'll see. Cross light went yellow and my friend power-braked lightly. Timed perfectly for the green, my friend took off with his custom (virtually home-built) engine screaming, WRX was a little slow on the light, but only about half a sec behind on the launch. (Luckily the ground was still dry and virtually no loose salt on the road here so launching was pretty decent. ) I didn't even try to keep up. Well.... as my friend accelarated farther and farther away, I saw the WRX, falling ever farther and farther behind. I'd say by a 1/4, they had about 6+ car lenghts (hard to judge from my angle behind them). Next light was where the garage was, so my friend didn't want them to see where he kept the car (you know teenage anger for losing....) So they lined up again.... they started saying something (friend later said they were making excuses) so he asked to line up again, however, he told them this time he'll use his nitrous as well. setting the purge off in a nice vertical spray.... The schmucks agreed. Same launch result (hey, hundreds of track runs give you plenty of experience), this time I can't even say how far the stang was ahead. The wrx turned off shortly there after.

All in all, they were fun runs to watch. Oh, did I tell you the '85 stang is a twin-turbo nitrous set-up? very not-street legal, however, he's gotten lucky for the past 3 years using it every now and then.
Best time was a 10.2 (can't recall the mph, ran it earlier this summer at byron. ) His '87 runs a 10.8, however, only ran that once as no rollcage so he can't go to the tracks anymore till he gets one in there as well. (***oops forgot to add, the 10.2 was before the nitrous*** and currently he has a little crack in his engine somewhere and is burning oil under heavy acceleration. He's going to probably rebuild or replace the engine with one come spring. He's also planning to repaint it and make it look like new.)

I normally don't post races like this with cars that are so unfairly matched, (I don't see the point of saying hey look! I beat a Civic DX with my CL-S, (no offense to people who have)) I just don't want to waste time typing it up since the outcome is 99% the same unless the civic is blown or sprayed.
Old 12-28-2001, 03:03 PM
Cause stock sux.

Re: hehe.... friends 'Stang vs. a WRX

Originally posted by Vampyre
(friend later said they were making excuses)
Seems like a trend in WRX owners :P
Old 12-28-2001, 03:04 PM
Banned

You know you like the I kicked a Civic's ass stories..

It's all in the delivery.
Old 12-28-2001, 03:05 PM
Cost Drivers!!!!

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
geeeze man use the "enter" key every once in a while. I haven't even read the post and I am getting a headache.....well, i'm going to read it now
Old 12-28-2001, 03:12 PM
Nosferatu

Originally posted by Zapata
geeeze man use the "enter" key every once in a while. I haven't even read the post and I am getting a headache.....well, i'm going to read it now
Yeah.. yeah... yeah.... sorry.... if I could go back and edit it I would.... didn't realize I wrote that much until I went back and read it just now. hheheheheh... Sorry guys!
Old 12-28-2001, 03:19 PM
Cost Drivers!!!!

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
ah nice post Moddesty is the sum of defeat and attitude.

Question for your friend. He has a 5.0 L v8 with a twin turbo setup....what kind of power is he putting to the ground?
Old 12-28-2001, 05:40 PM
I love my CL-S

Why you sold your GTP?? its a nice car..
guess you can start to mod your cl-s now
Old 12-28-2001, 09:19 PM
It's Go-Time.

Good story!

What turbo set up is your pal using?
Old 12-29-2001, 11:50 AM
In Da LBC with Snoop Dogg

DAYUM!!

10.2 without Nitrous?????? That is bike material.

I almost want to go and dump my Probe and Pathfinder and go get another 'stang after a story like that!

Damn good kill, just hope TypeWRX reads it and weeps.
Old 12-29-2001, 12:08 PM
Senior Moderator

Received 12 Likes on 9 Posts
great story Andrew!
Old 12-30-2001, 12:53 AM
Nosferatu

Question for your friend. He has a 5.0 L v8 with a twin turbo setup....what kind of power is he putting to the ground?
Well.... it's sort of a 5.0L V8... That's what it started as. He picked up an engine from a junkyard and rebuilt it all himself, machinging parts, boring, everything.. (he's not really a CLOSE friend of mine, but he's an indirect friend of the guy that was in my CL-S with me.)

As for the power he's putting down, I'll ask my friend to get the details from him.... Hopefully I can get the info quickly.

I can't recall the turbo setup either. i know he originally had a S/C on there but 'not enough power' (his exact words) so he dumped that and went the Turbo route, first one, then a dual setup. He's spent probaly 50% of his time for the past 7-8 years on various Mustangs. I think he's had these two for about 4 or so. Lot's of money and time, but that is his love.

For you Chicago-ites, in case you see a beater yellow lx style stang in the Roselle & Wooddale area, don't try to run it! hehehe.....

I'll try to get details for you guys like I said ASAP

Oh, and i think he only runs at GLD and Rt66 now as he was a Byron last year and was kicked out for a 10.9 run with no rollcage. One run, they saw the time and I guess someone mentioned he had no cage so they told him to leave right away. he was not too happy with that and says he'll probably never go back there.
Old 12-30-2001, 01:39 AM
Nosferatu

updates wont be for awhile

Well..... i wont' get details for at least a few days to a couple of weeks. I'm not going to concern myself with that for now.

I just found out after being absent from ClubGP pages since Christmas Eve (first time since buying the GTX, even stayed after selling) that one of my good friends from the Club had been admitted to the Hospital in critical condition due to complications from Hodgkins Lymphoma. (he had a stem-cell transplant 14 months ago, they gave him 4 months then.... he fought long and hard)

I learned tonight that he had passed away Friday night at the hospital only a mile from my house, without me knowing or being able to visit him......

I'll be absent for a few days from here until I can get back into a posting mood... for now... I just can't.....
Old 12-30-2001, 09:31 AM
foolio at heart

Sorry for your loss bro . At least he's in a better place now.
Old 01-02-2002, 09:06 AM
Banned

Based on the 10.2, which would be in the 135ish range, you'd need around 600 to the wheels.