Headers stronger with Stock Intake?

Search this Thread

Old 02-15-2003, 01:09 PM
Suzuka Master

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Headers stronger with Stock Intake?

Question... I removed my Weapon-R Intake last night and replaced it with the stock air box.

When I ran the car all out last night, it seemed that it was quite a bit stronger in VTEC. It may just that the car is MUCH quieter and I didn't realize the pull as much when it was screaming with the intake, or maybe the heat from the engine would have the short ram intake LOSE power?

All I know is that I am loving feel of extra power right now.
Old 02-15-2003, 01:41 PM
Banned

Re: Headers stronger with Stock Intake?

Originally posted by cusdaddy
Question... I removed my Weapon-R Intake last night and replaced it with the stock air box.

When I ran the car all out last night, it seemed that it was quite a bit stronger in VTEC. It may just that the car is MUCH quieter and I didn't realize the pull as much when it was screaming with the intake, or maybe the heat from the engine would have the short ram intake LOSE power?

All I know is that I am loving feel of extra power right now.
Too bad its only Temporary but you'll be regreting it when I own that 350Z of urs in E-town. I owned that CL-S of urs the first time well it is only gonna be worse this time around

I can see it now Lou's CL-S the 350 Z KILLER
Old 02-15-2003, 01:57 PM
Suzuka Master

Lou... We'll definitely run. From driving both the Z and my CLS, I have no doubt the Z is faster! Hopefully with a good launch, I'll be around 14.0

I'll definitely miss the CLS, but I just couldn't pass up the deal I got on the Z - They are taking my CLS for $21k. I got a $36 month lease with 15k miles for $490 a month, and I pay nothing at signing. All taxes and fees are included in the monthly payments - Safer to do this driving around Queens. Don't want to lose the taxes if it gets stolen.

I'll be saving almost $300 a month taking into account my lower car payments and the lower insurance.
Old 02-15-2003, 02:03 PM
Banned

Lou... We'll definitely run. From driving both the Z and my CLS, I have no doubt the Z is faster! Hopefully with a good launch, I'll be around 14.0

I'll definitely miss the CLS though!
Cool what color are you getting? I really like what they did with the 350 Z but after driven the G35 coupe I was dissapointed and decided to stay with the CL-S. Good Luck with ur 350 Z and I was just kidding about racing ur new car I know u need to break her in first. That being said if your past the break in period Ill run witcha
Old 02-15-2003, 02:08 PM
Suzuka Master

Got the car in Chrome Silver, same color as those hideous door handles (which is a good thing!). It's the Performance package with the Aero Kit, and all the other add-ons (aluminum door sills, carpeting, etc)

Your CLS is really strong. Watching the video, I can only imagine how well you'll do adding headers.

I'll seriously probably get owned as this is my first manual car.

I agree about the G35c. For the $$ they were asking, I felt the Z was a better deal. I don't need 4 seats, and the G35 felt bloated compared to the Z.
Old 02-15-2003, 02:25 PM
Cost Drivers!!!!

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
congrats!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!
Old 02-15-2003, 03:02 PM
Suzuka Master

Thanks for the kind words! I still am going to be staying around on this board as it has by far the classiest and most intelligent set of people I have met on any automotive message board!
Old 02-15-2003, 03:02 PM
Banned

I'll definitely miss the CLS, but I just couldn't pass up the deal I got on the Z - They are taking my CLS for $21k. I got a $36 month lease with 15k miles for $490 a month, and I pay nothing at signing. All taxes and fees are included in the monthly payments - Safer to do this driving around Queens. Don't want to lose the taxes if it gets stolen.

I'll be saving almost $300 a month taking into account my lower car payments and the lower insurance.
Damn stranger your in Queens and never gave a shotout Whats up with that maybe we can head up to E-Town together I'll follow you so I can take pics. of the Z in action
Old 02-15-2003, 03:04 PM
Suzuka Master

Hey Lou.. Grew up and spend most of my time on the weekends in Queens, but I work in CT now My parents live in Whitestone/Malba

Let's definitely head to E-Town together for the next meet. And when I'm in the area again, I'll give you a shout!
Old 02-15-2003, 04:54 PM
4dr & I like it that way

why would the Z have lower insurance
congrats tho, beautiful car

did you have a short-ram or a CAI? i would definitely think a short-ram would suffer from engine bay heat, and also my CAI is just as quiet as stock until i floor it
Old 02-15-2003, 06:38 PM
Suzuka Master

why would the Z have lower insurance
I have no idea, but the exact same coverage in CT is $180 lower a year for the Z compared to the CLS. I think it probably has to do with the lower stick price? It's not a huge difference, but I was totally suprised.

BTW, I had a Short ram intake. Probably took into too much engine heat to make a difference! I got it primarily for the intoxicating sound in VTEC
Old 02-16-2003, 03:45 PM
1/4 14.4 at 95

which do u get more power gain from cold air intake, or with short ram intake my guess cold air intake because its not sitting up in the engine bay but i know the feeling of the sound of the short ram intake i have just a k&n filter on my 00 grand am gt and it sounds great soon to come on order 03 cls agean blue
Old 02-16-2003, 03:48 PM
Senior Moderator

Received 388 Likes on 196 Posts
cusdaddy, are you saying you will only be able to put 5k miles a year on the z?

if so, thats crazy.

:edit: you must mean 15k per year.
Old 03-13-2006, 04:13 AM
SOLD

Cus, I have heard several times short ram is not as potent as cai due to possible engine heat fouling it up. On my 04 TL/5at, the induction was kind of a loopty loop. I removed the redundant piping, giving the tubing a "J" look. After installing a K&N, the more direct path for the air (less distance to travel, plus the redundant piping was closest to the engine) and different induction point resulted in just as much (not dynoed) gain (at least in sound and throttle response) as 2 cai's I have had in other v6's (type II Legend and MB C280). As far as insurance goes.... although both the Z and CLS are powerful v6 coupes, keep in mind Acura is considered a "luxury" make and generally Honda/Acura is more stolen than nissan I believe. Those insurance companies love to nickel and penny (not even dime, they go for pennies!) By the way Farmers is horrible FYI