View Poll Results: what do you suggest prevent rust, crack ?
Ceramic Coating
56.25%
Jet Coating
25.00%
Header Wrap
12.50%
Leave them as they are
6.25%
Voters: 16. You may not vote on this poll

Headers - Ceramic Coating or Jet Coating or Header Wrap

Search this Thread

Old 04-24-2010, 06:10 PM
Racer

Received 27 Likes on 20 Posts
I don't doubt the advantages of a coated header on a "serious race car" but usually these cars have headers that are made of mild steel and have 30"+ collectors or are running turbo's, both can really take advantage of the unwanted loss of heat to keep the exhaust velocity up and keep them from looking like crap after a season.

What I was trying to say, with stainless steel shorty headers, single exhaust, cat and mufflers, the coating will not gain any perceptible horsepower. As far as reducing heat or control, race cars have pipes rerouted for a smoother flow and will come very close to heat sensitive components that need to be protected. The XS header is shaped very much like the stock manifold and pipes. I could see if the pipe wraped around the starter like on a V8, went between the fans, or ran right next to the master cylinder like on a RWD but it doesn't.

How much HP will you gain by coating a SS header?
What percent increase?
Do you have any unbiased dyno comparison between a coated and non coated SS header?
I don't doubt you'll gain HP but how much?
Is it worth twice the price of the headers itself?

Like I said, do it for looks and be aware, if the headers have to be fixed, they need to be blasted again and recoated.
Old 04-24-2010, 09:00 PM
Suzuka Master

Received 574 Likes on 409 Posts
what about coating just a first part of the header? collector (?) but does it even make any sens ? i think with that coat they just wont crack...
Old 04-26-2010, 05:46 PM
Lead Footed

Received 15 Likes on 12 Posts
Originally Posted by RooEng
I don't doubt the advantages of a coated header on a "serious race car" but usually these cars have headers that are made of mild steel and have 30"+ collectors or are running turbo's, both can really take advantage of the unwanted loss of heat to keep the exhaust velocity up and keep them from looking like crap after a season.

What I was trying to say, with stainless steel shorty headers, single exhaust, cat and mufflers, the coating will not gain any perceptible horsepower. As far as reducing heat or control, race cars have pipes rerouted for a smoother flow and will come very close to heat sensitive components that need to be protected. The XS header is shaped very much like the stock manifold and pipes. I could see if the pipe wraped around the starter like on a V8, went between the fans, or ran right next to the master cylinder like on a RWD but it doesn't.

How much HP will you gain by coating a SS header?
What percent increase?
Do you have any unbiased dyno comparison between a coated and non coated SS header?
I don't doubt you'll gain HP but how much?
Is it worth twice the price of the headers itself?

Like I said, do it for looks and be aware, if the headers have to be fixed, they need to be blasted again and recoated.
Ok, I can see why you wouldn't do it, but sorry I still disagree as I know many people including myself who have seen gains on street applications . . . including 4 & 6 cyls and bikes & ATVs. Also, DC Sport is a big supplier of performance parts for 4&6 cyl cars . . and they have a big market for their ceramic coated headers.

As for gains, on these cars some of us are looking for every last bit we can get. In this case it's about 4hp or so . . as I've not dyno'd my TLS with just the coating to do a base line . . doesn't make sense for a small gain. But $-to-hp ratio is about equal to that of CT headers . . it's high, but that's the price we pay for this sort of car. As for heat, take a close look at see how close the headers are to the oil pan . . . way too close for me. So not only does it reduce heat to the oil pan, but it reduces the under engine bay temps which is also important. So in the case of the south and southwest it's a real good idea to do it regardless of HP gain, meaning I would have done it anyway because of the heat difference which I've validated by being able to touch my headers much much sooner and keep my hand on various engine bay components at operating temps whereas I couldn't before.

Primary Benefits:
THERMAL BARRIER PROPERTIES REDUCE RADIANT TEMPERATURE
HIGH ABRASION RESISTANCE
INCREASED GAS VELOCITIES
REDUCED UNDER HOOD TEMPERATURES
RAPID COOL DOWN
WON'T BLUE OR STAIN
HORSEPOWER GAINS AVERAGING 2% - Jet Hot claims 3% (yes, more so for racing applications, but a benefit none the less)

http://www.zircotec.com/
http://chromecentercaps.org/car-auto...eader-coating/
http://www.hpcoatings.com/hpc_heatmanagement.aspx
http://www.powdercoat-it.com/sacrame...t-coating.html
http://www.carcraft.com/techarticles...ngs/index.html
http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Manifold_(automotive)
http://www.strikeengine.com/performa...manifolds.html

There are dozens of such articles on the benefits of ceramic coating and when I did my research years ago there weren't any saying it's only good for racing applications . . and since a lot of us who mod do race our cars . . . heck there are some that don't mod much and have raced their cars. Anyway, I don't plan on spending anymore time digging up links and such . . so those who are in to "optimizing" their cars, ceramic coating is something to consider. And if you are going to spend $100+ or so on the headers my opinion is what's another $60-80?

Anyway th th that's all folks . . you decide whether or not the benefits are important to you.

Ruf
The following users liked this post:
jwp1013 (02-14-2012)
Old 04-27-2010, 11:04 AM
Whats up with RDX owners?

Received 8,381 Likes on 4,930 Posts
^ Well said.

I could care less if its only a 2whp gain. If it fights off heat soak and gives me a consistent 2whp gain then Im happy.
Old 04-27-2010, 11:08 AM
CL6
My only car is a Bus

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
I think he said 2% hp gain.

Originally Posted by civicdrivr
^ Well said.

I could care less if its only a 2whp gain. If it fights off heat soak and gives me a consistent 2whp gain then Im happy.
Old 04-27-2010, 12:16 PM
Whats up with RDX owners?

Received 8,381 Likes on 4,930 Posts
^ I know, I chose a lower number to amplify my desire for a more consistent gain over anything else.

Id take a consistent 5whp gain over a 10whp gain that will only lessen after a few amount of passes/runs.
Old 04-27-2010, 11:17 PM
Lead Footed

Received 15 Likes on 12 Posts
Originally Posted by civicdrivr
^
Id take a consistent 5whp gain over a 10whp gain that will only lessen after a few amount of passes/runs.
Ah . . . Bingo . . a man that knows what it's all about.

The last time at the track, out of 8 runs the difference between the best and worst time was .08 seconds.

Ruf