Header Myths

Search this Thread

Old 08-18-2004, 07:12 PM
Safety Car

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Header Myths

There are so many variants of Headers that I see on this board and you guys need to understand the truth about them:

(1) They are all copies of the Comptech.
(2) Tube diameters are the same
(3) Runner length (exit length from the head) are the same
(4) Merge collector is the same
(5) Routing is the same

I don't see the point in testing these because they WILL ALL YIELD THE SAME POWER output!!

Unless there is some radical departure in header design such as equal-length manifolds, a 3:2:1 collector or significant tube diameter different or some crazy routing scheme... there is no power different. In fact even if it were a somewhat significant redesign, the torque/hp curve will probably look different but peak horsepower might remain the same or even less. There are ways to get massive hp gains from headers (besides what we get over the stock manifold) and those methods won't fit in our engine bay.
Old 08-18-2004, 07:25 PM
Racer

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
As you know, I will be getting Alpha Werks headers soon.

What gain will I get if send them out for interior polishing?

Heard anything about the AW headers?

I am considering you for the install...
Old 08-18-2004, 07:35 PM
Senior Moderator

Received 388 Likes on 196 Posts
they need to be tested for fit and annoying resonance.

i think most people know they are an exact copy of CT headers and produce similar gains.
Old 08-18-2004, 07:40 PM
Safety Car

When I meant testing... I meant at the dyno - waste of money unless someone wants to see what their car makes or tune something. It's no point in trying to compare gains of Alpha vs. Comptech vs. OBX vs. Stone etc.

Gabo: Extrude Honed headers will probably give you something... but note that these are either mild-steel or SS headers so its pretty smooth already. Unlike cast-iron... they won't benefit from smoothening. You might increase inner diameter by 1/10" or something, but that's about it.
Old 08-18-2004, 10:29 PM
Doin' da crack shuffle

Originally Posted by allmotor_2000
There are so many variants of Headers that I see on this board and you guys need to understand the truth about them:

(5) Routing is the same

I don't see the point in testing these because they WILL ALL YIELD THE SAME POWER output!!

Unless there is some radical departure in header design such as equal-length manifolds, a 3:2:1 collector or significant tube diameter different or some crazy routing scheme... there is no power different. In fact even if it were a somewhat significant redesign, the torque/hp curve will probably look different but peak horsepower might remain the same or even less. There are ways to get massive hp gains from headers (besides what we get over the stock manifold) and those methods won't fit in our engine bay.

Thanks allmotor. I always wondered about this.
Old 08-19-2004, 03:21 AM
Audi S4 driver

I've heard that Comptech's are port matched though, and that OBX's weren't .. I'd assume that this would make a difference.

I could be way wrong on this but I remember reading it a few times ..
Old 08-19-2004, 06:08 AM
Suzuka Master

Originally Posted by allmotor_2000

(5) Routing is the same

Old 08-19-2004, 06:49 AM
Liquid Ice

Received 89 Likes on 48 Posts
Originally Posted by blader
I've heard that Comptech's are port matched though, and that OBX's weren't .. I'd assume that this would make a difference.

I could be way wrong on this but I remember reading it a few times ..
This is what I always thought ... that the port matching was a "feature" of the Comptechs that OBX and other copies don't have. Not that it made a huge difference in performance, but that the lack of port matching was part of the resonance problem.

In truth though, the only real reason to buy Comptech over OBX/Stone/Alpha Werks etc is for reliability and perfect fitment. I haven't heard of any stories of Comptech headers cracking but have heard 1 or 2 for OBX. And I personally had an issue with fitment on 2 sets of non-Comptech headers. My Comptechs fit perfectly on the first try though.
Old 08-19-2004, 06:36 PM
COME AT ME BRO!

Received 13 Likes on 12 Posts
Originally Posted by LiQiCE
This is what I always thought ... that the port matching was a "feature" of the Comptechs that OBX and other copies don't have. Not that it made a huge difference in performance, but that the lack of port matching was part of the resonance problem.

In truth though, the only real reason to buy Comptech over OBX/Stone/Alpha Werks etc is for reliability and perfect fitment. I haven't heard of any stories of Comptech headers cracking but have heard 1 or 2 for OBX. And I personally had an issue with fitment on 2 sets of non-Comptech headers. My Comptechs fit perfectly on the first try though.
i know he had probs with the stone and the obx but you can buy almost four sets of obx for the price of one comptech.... not all of us can afford to drop 1200 or even 600 for a set of new or used headers....
Old 08-19-2004, 06:49 PM
Safety Car

If headers were available for the 6spd when I was purchasing them... I wouldn't have bought the Comptech either!
Old 08-19-2004, 07:00 PM
COME AT ME BRO!

what are you using for the turbo manifold???
Old 08-19-2004, 07:06 PM
Who Dis Is?

Allmotor what headers do you suggest for durability? I've heard horror stories of OBX's and that stone don't always fit right. Never anything on CT's. And wheres the cheapest place to get them at??
Old 08-19-2004, 07:14 PM
Adventurist.

Received 58 Likes on 22 Posts
www.c-c-c.net

Go to the groupbuy forum, Junior has them for sale, those are the cheapest you'll find around since CT holds their prices ferociously high.

CT's are the most durable so far. Get them JetHot coated and they'll look new everyday.
Old 08-19-2004, 07:15 PM
Safety Car

Well for durability, fit & finish - Comptech! But if you don't mind bending, tweking and whatever for lower cost... go OBX etc.

I use the Comptech upper manifolds as part of my turbo manifold and the rest is custom and is as good or better quality than Comptech.
Old 08-19-2004, 09:00 PM
COME AT ME BRO!

sorry allmotor im sure uve been asked a hundered times but what size turbo is it that your runing t3/t4??
Old 08-19-2004, 09:13 PM
Safety Car

Nope.. Garrett GT35R - ballbearing
Old 08-19-2004, 09:15 PM
Doin' da crack shuffle

What's so special about equal length headers?

What make the gains from those any better than with regular headers?
Old 08-19-2004, 09:50 PM
Safety Car

Originally Posted by Red-CL
What's so special about equal length headers?

What make the gains from those any better than with regular headers?
It's not just equal length but a specific length to reduce exhaust pulsing. Remember as the engine is operating at a high RPM... its like a valve letting out pressure at 1/2 your RPM (on each cylinder). This can resonate and/or create high pressure points which increases heat... backpressure etc. It's more critical on an FI car