Has anyone ever considered a MANUALLY operated Intake bypass valve ???

Search this Thread

Old 07-12-2004, 02:43 PM
Team Owner

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Has anyone ever considered a MANUALLY operated Intake bypass valve ???

As I sit here at work and look out the window at the torrential rain coming down, an idea popped into my head.
It’s been raining like CRAZY since this morning and there are several roads that are closed due to flooding.
Depending on the area, accumulation has been anywhere from 3-6 inches today alone.
It should be an interesting ride home to say the least.
Days like this I wish my AEM Bypass Valve was on the car instead of sitting in the box in my garage.
I took it off and replaced it with a straight pipe a few months back.

Here’s my idea…..

Kind of the reverse of Smitty’s “Dump Pipe”, what about a valve that could be manually (via cable) or electrically opened from inside the cabin if you see a flooded roadway ahead.
It would normally be closed, but would open up between the filter & throttle body to prevent water ingestion from a submerged filter.
Sure, submitting the engine to a gulp of unfiltered air isn’t something you should do all the time, but its better then water.
And it would be drawing air from a higher point and less likely to suck water.

What do you think ???
Old 07-12-2004, 02:47 PM
Gimmie my points Biatch!

Originally Posted by Shawn S
As I sit here at work and look out the window at the torrential rain coming down, an idea popped into my head.
It’s been raining like CRAZY since this morning and there are several roads that are closed due to flooding.
Depending on the area, accumulation has been anywhere from 3-6 inches today alone.
It should be an interesting ride home to say the least.
Days like this I wish my AEM Bypass Valve was on the car instead of sitting in the box in my garage.
I took it off and replaced it with a straight pipe a few months back.

Here’s my idea…..

Kind of the reverse of Smitty’s “Dump Pipe”, what about a valve that could be manually (via cable) or electrically opened from inside the cabin if you see a flooded roadway ahead.
It would normally be closed, but would open up between the filter & throttle body to prevent water ingestion from a submerged filter.
Sure, submitting the engine to a gulp of unfiltered air isn’t something you should do all the time, but its better then water.
And it would be drawing air from a higher point and less likely to suck water.

What do you think ???
That sounds cool, but will manufactuers do it. They probably happy with charging $50 for $5 of material already.
Old 07-12-2004, 02:49 PM
Team Owner

Originally Posted by fusionnv
That sounds cool, but will manufactuers do it. They probably happy with charging $50 for $5 of material already.
I’m talking about building it, not buying it.
Old 07-12-2004, 02:57 PM
Suzuka Master

Sure, that would be easy enough. You could put a snorkel on the car too and traverse a river.

Anyway, it would be simple to make using an existing bypass valve and some welding. I would estimate it would run in the $200 - $250 range.
Old 07-12-2004, 03:03 PM
Gimmie my points Biatch!

I’m talking about building it, not buying it.
Maybe you can make it like a BBQ grill vent. Where you would turn it and it be closed. When you twist it again you can have the holes exposed. It would probably take two rings one smaller than the other.
Old 07-12-2004, 03:10 PM
Team Owner

Maybe you can make it like a BBQ grill vent. Where you would turn it and it be closed. When you twist it again you can have the holes exposed. It would probably take two rings one smaller than the other.
Actually I’m thinking something like a 4x4x4 TEE where the “branch” would be the part that’s normally closed.
Then the air would pass right by the branch in normal use.
Maybe even a 2” branch would be enough to do the job.
Old 07-12-2004, 04:07 PM
Suzuka Master

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Yeah, that would good be a good design. You’d have minimal air disruption during normal operation, but you could just "twist it open" during inclement weather. Heck, blow off the auto/or cable operation -- how often would you need to switch from open to closed? You wouldn't lose that much power or mileage just putting around town with it open, so you could default to open if the weather was "variable."

A small foam surround would work fine to keep crud out during “bypass mode.”

Whatever gets designed, it should probably use a KISS (Keep It Simple Stupid) design.

Heck, if someone just wanted a really simply fix, they could just remove the AEM bypass; get a chunk of pipe of the same diameter with similar fitment length (if the original chunk of pipe that was cut out for the "bypass", that would do fine). Put some holes in it, and put a foam sleeve above it (to be able to slide it down) and a rubber one below it. Drag the rubber up for no bypass; drag the foam down for bypass. That would be cheap...

Devil is in the details...
Old 07-12-2004, 05:33 PM
Purchased: April 28, 2001

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts
Originally Posted by EricL
...Heck, if someone just wanted a really simply fix, they could just remove the AEM bypass; get a chunk of pipe of the same diameter with similar fitment length (if the original chunk of pipe that was cut out for the "bypass", that would do fine). Put some holes in it, and put a foam sleeve above it (to be able to slide it down) and a rubber one below it. Drag the rubber up for no bypass; drag the foam down for bypass. That would be cheap...

Devil is in the details...

Ha...I was thinking that the ultimate KISS design would be to drill a quarter size hole in your single piece CAI and cover it with duct tape when not in use. With a rubber hose design, you'll still have to use some sort of clamp (like the ones to secure the silicone hose) from letting air in. Then again...moving hot rubber up and down the pipe would be a biatch due to friction.
Old 07-12-2004, 07:03 PM
Gimmie my points Biatch!

Originally Posted by edgalang
Ha...I was thinking that the ultimate KISS design would be to drill a quarter size hole in your single piece CAI and cover it with duct tape when not in use. With a rubber hose design, you'll still have to use some sort of clamp (like the ones to secure the silicone hose) from letting air in. Then again...moving hot rubber up and down the pipe would be a biatch due to friction.
LOL basically any hole in the intake will work. I tried one time to drink soda with a cracked straw. Did not work at all.
Old 07-12-2004, 07:48 PM
Senior Moderator

Received 388 Likes on 196 Posts
why go through the trouble when you could just buy an icebox?
Old 07-12-2004, 07:53 PM
Purchased: April 28, 2001

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts
Originally Posted by mattg

Icebox + K&N filter = $$$
CAI with hole = but cheap.

Besides...I think we were just having fun with the idea.
Old 07-12-2004, 08:04 PM
Drifting

Received 30 Likes on 16 Posts
yeha, icebox plus k and n fliter = $330...i got nailed, because my car has the GS conversion...so the box did not fit...so i basically have a $330 short ram X 34092834098245

i did cut/shape the bottom piece so it looks kinda cool..but still suks..
Old 07-12-2004, 08:15 PM
Team Owner

Originally Posted by mattg
NOPE……NO WAY !!!!!

Nothing Screeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeams like a Xephyr CAI in VTEC WOT.
Old 07-12-2004, 08:23 PM
Suzuka Master

Originally Posted by edgalang
Sure, hit it with duct tape.

But, be sure to put some kind of foam or other kind of filter material over the hole.

Hey, if you want to be cheap, 3M makes some Filtrete material that is 1-ply.

Here:

http://www.natlallergy.com/allergy/p...AC_Filter.html

Put some a bit of wire mesh behind it (you'd only need it if the holes were big -- it flows a lot of air). You don't want the engine pulling in dirty air. The other shot -- just source some of the foam used by the auto air cleaner folks. (Or, if you have an old AEM bypass valve "savage" (salvage) some of the filter material...

RE: rubber -- the idea would be to "stretch" some rubber to make it loose enough and put down some graphite or other lube to make it easy to slide up and down
Old 07-12-2004, 08:25 PM
Senior Moderator

NOPE……NO WAY !!!!!

Nothing Screeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeams like a Xephyr CAI in VTEC WOT.
except for an AEM cai.

and i agree, i miss that sound.
Old 07-12-2004, 08:38 PM
Team Owner

Xephyr > AEM
Old 07-12-2004, 08:47 PM
Suzuka Master

do you care what it looks like under the hood?

If you wanted to go the route of exhaust dump.. you would need 2 Electronic dumps.. and you could get it attached right to the throttle body...

1 switch opens up the short ram that will pointed towards the firewall of the car and other switch will close off your Xephyr intake air flow...
Old 07-12-2004, 09:40 PM
Senior Moderator

Xephyr > AEM
i would agree with you there, since i've broken 2 aem pipes. but they sound the same.
Old 07-12-2004, 10:17 PM
Doin' da crack shuffle

This is a pretty good idea.

Welp, off to the patent office
Old 07-12-2004, 10:22 PM
///M POWER

shawn dont the aem and xpher sound the same??
Old 07-13-2004, 05:56 AM
Team Owner

Originally Posted by darrinb
shawn dont the aem and xpher sound the same??
No…. The Xephyr has only ONE bend verses 2-3 for the AEM and I believe the pipe size is slightly bigger too.
Plus the Xephyr uses a larger K&M filter.
All these things contribute to a slightly different sound.
When they were first being sold, the Dyno’s showed that it offered slightly more power as well.
Probably more in line with what the Ice-Box is now showing.

Shawn S
Old 07-13-2004, 05:59 AM
Team Owner

How large a diameter opening in the side of the pipe do you think I would need to prevent Hydro-Lock ???
I’m thinking it could be pretty small (maybe 1”) because the engine is going to be barely idling if you’re traversing any kind of dangerous driving situation involving deeper then normal water.

Shawn S
Old 07-13-2004, 06:07 AM
Team Owner

BTW…. I made it home OK yesterday, but here’s why I was so concerned…….

Storm swamps streets, emergency crews

http://www.mcall.com/news/local/all-...l=all-news-hed

Steady, relentless downpours Monday dumped more than 5 inches of rain in parts of the Lehigh Valley and more than 6 inches in Berks County.

Hatfield borough in Montgomery County got 10 inches, and Lehigh Valley International Airport measured the most rainfall ever for July 12.

The storm caused flooding that closed streets and intersections, swamped basements, contributed to traffic accidents and had Allentown firefighters ''running crazy'' for water emergencies.

Two people escaped from a car as high water pulled it off the road near Route 100 and Ruppsville Road in Upper Macungie Township, said Trexlertown Fire Chief Mark Hahn.

''The current was so strong that it started sucking the car off the road,'' Hahn said. ''The water must have been chest-high there.''

The car ended up submerged, with only the color of the roof visible through the water, the chief said. A tow truck pulled it back onto the road.

Flooding closed many roads. The state Department of Transportation closed 25th Street on the Wilson-Palmer Township line between Lehigh Drive and Freemansburg Avenue. It will remain closed until the water subsides, said PennDOT spokesman Ron Young.

A portion of E. Market Street in Bethlehem also was shut down, and other problems in the city included falling wires and trees. One tree fell onto a car on W. Ettwein Street.

In Allentown, Cedar Creek spilled over its banks, closing St. Elmo Street between Martin Luther King Drive and Union Street, said Public Works Director Neal Kern. Flooding also shut down S. Eighth Street where it becomes Mack Boulevard.

In addition, a water main break added to already high water on Old Bethlehem Pike near Old Saucon Valley Road in Upper Saucon Township, said Cpl. Roger Miller of township police. The road was to be reopened about 6 a.m. today.

Though the rain subsided in Allentown by about 6 p.m., the National Weather Service predicted a chance of scattered thunderstorms through Thursday night.

The weather service issued a flash flood watch Monday for much of the Lehigh Valley. A flash flood warning was in place for several hours in Berks County, where 6 inches of rain had been recorded by 4 p.m.

By Monday night, rainfall totaled nearly 5.45 inches in Bethlehem and 3.35 inches at LVIA, said Walt Nickelsberg, a National Weather Service meteorologist.

The previous record for rainfall on July 12 at the airport was 1.95 inches in 1992, according to the weather service. The all-time recorded high at LVIA for one day was 7.85 inches in September 1985, when Hurricane Gloria blew through the area.

Flooding was heavy in the Philadelphia region, Nickelsberg said. Rainfall in the city totaled about 4.7 inches, also breaking a daily record.

The downpour meant back-to-back calls for Allentown's firefighters, who also had several small kitchen fires to put out in between, fire Capt. David Xander said.

''We had many, many, many calls,'' he said. ''Everything from water coming into basements, through leaky roofs and into electrical outlets. We've had transformers blown and wires down. We've just been running crazy because of this rain.''

Bethlehem firefighters responded to a call at the The Edge restaurant on W. Broad Street, where diners were forced out for 10 minutes in the afternoon as fire crews worked on a sparking wire, which fire officials said the storm might have caused.

The storm kept workers busy all day cleaning grates and storm drains and dealing with manhole lids that popped off, Allentown's Kern said. The drenching rain also led to several crashes, including one involving a dump truck and a sport utility vehicle on Interstate 78 westbound in Allentown. Both vehicles overturned, trapping the uninjured drivers until emergency crews arrived.

This summer has been drier than average so far, with the National Weather Service recording 3.52 inches of precipitation in Allentown since June 1, about 2 inches shy of the usual mark.

Before Monday, the rainfall total for the area was more than 5 inches short of the yearly average to the date.

But with more wet weather expected, Young advised motorists to choose alternate routes when they see deep water, even if the roads are still open.

''If that means waiting until there's not traffic coming the other way, they may have to do that,'' he said.
Old 07-13-2004, 06:38 AM
Three Wheelin'

Received 10 Likes on 9 Posts
comptechs icebox has a check valve incorporated into their unit already.
Old 07-13-2004, 06:42 AM
Suzuka Master

I think you need a Jimcol 4X4....

The intake openings should be proportionate.. since you might want to run the car in a really bad downpour.
Old 07-13-2004, 06:49 AM
Team Owner

Originally Posted by ThinJim
Yes, I’m aware of that because I helped install one once.
From what I remember, the opening in the Comptech box is only like a 1/2”.
I just don’t like the stock look & stock sound of the Ice-Box.

Smitty, I really don’t think I would need a 4” opening for the Bypass..
And driving in heavy rain wouldn’t be a problem.
If you draw a “little” water in, that’s OK…..I’m more worried about flooded out intersections and such.
Old 07-13-2004, 07:53 AM
Administrator Alumnus

Received 131 Likes on 82 Posts
Well, whatever you try, it'll certainly be better made than that POS bypass AEM sells.

Interesting. Keep me posted on your thoughts...
Old 07-13-2004, 08:15 AM
Doin' da crack shuffle

Originally Posted by ThinJim

But the rain here was crazy yesterday.

I see why Shawn was nervous.

I sure as hell was too.

(I got an icebox for those that don't know)
Old 07-13-2004, 09:18 PM
Devil's Advocate Returns

Yes, I’m aware of that because I helped install one once.
From what I remember, the opening in the Comptech box is only like a 1/2”.
I just don’t like the stock look & stock sound of the Ice-Box.

Smitty, I really don’t think I would need a 4” opening for the Bypass..
And driving in heavy rain wouldn’t be a problem.
If you draw a “little” water in, that’s OK…..I’m more worried about flooded out intersections and such.

Forget about doing the overkill switch. You'll just lose HP with added expenses.

What about just taking a nice sized wet-dry vac?

Butcher up a 3" or similar sized hose, tape up the filter to the end of the hose, and get a small 2 1/2 gallon bucket with water to use as a test rig.

You could start with a small hole and work your way up to see just what you're needing based on the level of water, the suction of the vacuum, and the size of the hole.

Time for some experiments....

BTW, if you just got a rubber hose or rubber sheet and put a matching hole in it (with some filter material under it), you could even put some holes in it and revolve/move it around the inner hole to make for a very easy bypass-on/bypass-off switch.

Two hose clamps
Chunks of rubber.
Thin filter material
Old 07-13-2004, 10:21 PM
Team Owner

Originally Posted by EL_CLS
What about just taking a nice sized wet-dry vac?

Butcher up a 3" or similar sized hose, tape up the filter to the end of the hose, and get a small 2 1/2 gallon bucket with water to use as a test rig.

You could start with a small hole and work your way up to see just what you're needing based on the level of water, the suction of the vacuum, and the size of the hole.

Time for some experiments....
Sounds like something I've done before.

http://www.acura-cl.com/forums/showthread.php?t=119575
Old 07-14-2004, 12:04 AM
Devil's Advocate Returns

You don't need no stinking answers...

Sounds like something I've done before.

http://www.acura-cl.com/forums/showthread.php?t=119575

Well then, your all set.... Heck, get out the drill

You've got the anti-gravity device, anti-matter bomb and space ship ... and your asking if you can borrow an aging German scientist to help you build a Scud?
Old 07-14-2004, 03:05 AM
Safety Car

Originally Posted by EricL
Sure, hit it with duct tape.

But, be sure to put some kind of foam or other kind of filter material over the hole.

you wouldn't want to suck up that piece of duct tabe into your engine