happy w/ the UR pulley

Search this Thread

Old 07-01-2003, 10:06 AM
lover and fighter

Received 32 Likes on 15 Posts
happy w/ the UR pulley

Well, I got the UR crank pulley installed by a great shop that I found. Titan19 and some others said I wouldn't be sorry, and you were right. It was less than $300 installed and I compare the "seat of my pants" gains to the CAI I had installed, so it was well worth it.
Anyway, the vibrations and minor noise side-effects that some were worried about are entirely absent. I have no issues running any of accessories at all. I, again, didn't get the other pullies as the guy told me they were entirely cosmetic and had no benefit in my set up, though would make the steering feel different (I love the steering in this car) and have more of an accessory affect. Additionally, I needed new belts, which worked out well, since for the last two weeks or so, the belts squeaked from a stop with really hard acceleration.
I really don't know how to quantify the difference in acceleration and the feel of the car. It seems "free-er". Sounds corny, but it does. The Florida heat and humidity have sapped the car as of late, but now it is back to a nice hard chirp in second gear with WOT, even in the middle of the day (TL-S auto).
My friends with an Audi and WRX have ridden and driven the car and they find it more different than I do. My friend described the response of the acceleration as more "violent" in that it seems it is quicker to VTECH. Right or not, I dunno. The extra umph allows me to keep up with his '02 WRX with an exhaust on the highway, as before he slowly would creep away. From a stop it's still no contest. I leave the Audi more than I did before so that makes me happy I suppose. I think the engine is spinning free-er, and to me the freakin' CAI seems even louder and more obnoxious under WOT. I scared some poor lady to death in her Z3 with the top down after she pulled in front of me. I slapped it into second and blew around her. I thought she was gonna crash into the concrete onramp barrier when her neck literally snapped left when I hit VTECH...
Thanks for the advise guys...
Old 07-01-2003, 10:16 AM
Revving at 9K...

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Good review... I leaning towards getting it myself more and more...

btw, vtec.. not Vtech... (that's the company I work for.. we make phones )
Old 07-01-2003, 10:16 AM
Safety Car

Glad you like it... unfortunately I didn't feel a thing when I installed mine
Old 07-01-2003, 10:28 AM
lover and fighter

It's funny that you say that, all_motor.
I had it installed. Got into the car. Drove it. Felt nothing. Went home, unplugged the battery and let it sit for 20 minutes. Hooked it all up. Drove it again for about 30 minutes like a scalded dog. Felt nothing. Went home and let it idle and cycle three times and shut it off. Got in it the next morning and went to DD and unfortunately, every T,D,H was in my way and couldn't open up the car. Felt the "free-er" part but nothing else. Got my blueberry and double-choc donuts and coffee and when I left, it felt WAY different (and I didn't drink my coffee yet). Drove it to my friends house (about 30 miles away) and hard. It was like a different car. I dunno what to say.
Additionally, I did a little research in college on equilibrium of people. Some people are highly in tune to motion, noise, feeling etc than others. I swear I can feel every last little thing with a car. My hearing is crazy accurate. My sense of smell if freaky (doesn't apply here except when I park I can smell my tires). My taste (applies as I kiss my steering wheel every day and thank god my ex didn't try to take my car).
I can say now that 6 days later I really can tell the difference. You'd know better than I with this, all_motor, it does sound like the CAI is louder and more gargly--I'm assuming the lighter pulley is causing more or easier spin that would likely affect this???
Old 07-01-2003, 10:36 AM
Smack My B*tch Up

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
i did'nt feel anything when I installed it, i guess my butt dyno needs tuning
Old 07-01-2003, 10:41 AM
Happy CL-S Pilot

You would expect around 10 WHP.. good gain, but can your really feel a difference between 0.3G Acceleration and 0.315G?
Old 07-01-2003, 11:03 AM
lover and fighter

Wow...small review turned into this? Oh well. I like to play...
Can you feel a difference in ride quality with or without Comptech springs? My ex couldn't. She couldn't tell the difference when I got headers. She couldn't tell the difference when I swapped kinds of wheels. She could tell the difference in her ability to spend...
The technical answer to .015g of chnage and equilibrium I cannot answer, or even comment on accuracy. After all, it was college and not my major. I'm not a physicist or engineer. College was about drinking beer, getting laid and spending $50k getting a stupid piece of paper so you could start a white-collar job to earn $50k. I've got a BA in BS and work for an insurance company. What the fu(k do I truly know about cars? Nothing.
Did you Einsteins "feel" anything with your CAI? How about math with headers.
Besides being a 'tard and facing a copyright suit for writing VTECH instead of vtec, what the h=ll did I say so inconceivable? I didn't say "wow, my car now hauls a$$. Or wow, I shi+ myself with my newfound, M3 eating acceleration. Or my G35 is better than a CL-TL."
I said it felt the same as when I got my CAI installed. No less, No more. But different. It's not magnanimous. I'm having a hard time even saying what it is. I feels "freer-er". I equate it to the same feeling as what Tom2 would have if he accepts being cornholed.

That help?
Old 07-01-2003, 11:08 AM
Happy CL-S Pilot

I have headers, pulleys full set, and CAI... what I feel is I am hitting rev limiter so hard each time I downshift to 2nd!... I can react but see myself hitting the rev limiter.
Old 07-01-2003, 11:40 AM
TRELOS

Originally posted by r10apple
My taste (applies as I kiss my steering wheel every day and thank god my ex didn't try to take my car).

U know I've got a buck, how bout u sell it to me (:wink: :wink: , take that Uncle Sam) put it in my name and then she can't get it. Problem solved and the cure to that Peptic Ulcer that ur developing.

Juker008
Old 07-01-2003, 11:47 AM
TRELOS

Originally posted by r10apple
Wow...small review turned into this? Oh well. I like to play...
Can you feel a difference in ride quality with or without Comptech springs? My ex couldn't. She couldn't tell the difference when I got headers. She couldn't tell the difference when I swapped kinds of wheels. She could tell the difference in her ability to spend...
The technical answer to .015g of chnage and equilibrium I cannot answer, or even comment on accuracy. After all, it was college and not my major. I'm not a physicist or engineer. College was about drinking beer, getting laid and spending $50k getting a stupid piece of paper so you could start a white-collar job to earn $50k. I've got a BA in BS and work for an insurance company. What the fu(k do I truly know about cars? Nothing.
Did you Einsteins "feel" anything with your CAI? How about math with headers.
Besides being a 'tard and facing a copyright suit for writing VTECH instead of vtec, what the h=ll did I say so inconceivable? I didn't say "wow, my car now hauls a$$. Or wow, I shi+ myself with my newfound, M3 eating acceleration. Or my G35 is better than a CL-TL."
I said it felt the same as when I got my CAI installed. No less, No more. But different. It's not magnanimous. I'm having a hard time even saying what it is. I feels "freer-er". I equate it to the same feeling as what Tom2 would have if he accepts being cornholed.

That help?

FKIN

Hey u think u could write my college entrance paper :P .

Juker008
Old 07-01-2003, 12:46 PM
lover and fighter

Welp, I suppose I could. I'm somewhat qualified there (that's right Nashua-was an English minor and got A's in Satire and critical writing).
Problem is, Juker, most people working at colleges these day are pseudo-intellectual m0r0ns who do not appreciate dark humor. They got to school just to go and end up staying. They watch Gross Pointe Blank and say "wow, John Cusack looks good in black" rather than "that shi+ was funny." My writing is more likely to get you banned then in...
Old 07-01-2003, 12:53 PM
East Coast Boost.!

Good shit r10apple.
Old 07-01-2003, 09:24 PM
9.5 lbs o' Boost!!!!

so if i got the unorthodox pullies and the UR crank it would be really noticable diffrence?
Old 07-02-2003, 10:15 AM
Safety Car

It might give 10whp... but just peak! The hp extraction (not gain... because you arn't making any more power) is linear with RPM with that peak of 10whp (possibly) at 6.5K-7K RPM. I don't think I can really 'feel' 10whp... then again when my turbo made 100whp... it felt like 50!
Old 07-02-2003, 10:55 AM
TRELOS

Originally posted by allmotor_2000
It might give 10whp... but just peak! The hp extraction (not gain... because you arn't making any more power) is linear with RPM with that peak of 10whp (possibly) at 6.5K-7K RPM. I don't think I can really 'feel' 10whp... then again when my turbo made 100whp... it felt like 50!

I know right, being in SFla-Type-S's CLS with a 75-dry, to me it feels like a 30 shot, but don't tell him I said that. He'll just rag on my 100 shot.

Juker008
Old 07-02-2003, 11:33 AM
lover and fighter

italiaCLs: Apparently not. It's all in my head!!!
I've felt every mod I've done except the Comptech airfilter I added two weeks after I bought the car ($65). Nothing dramatic was felt except the springs. Even adding the 18's made only a modest handling difference. Additionally, adding the headers wasn't as dramatic as I thought it might, but each item--and they all were done at a separate time--made me feel something. My only opinion on wasted money was the airfilter (I have an intake now) and the Neuspeed strut bar (well, what's $115)...