Happy but sad for CL buyers -long one

Search this Thread

Old 12-12-2001, 11:02 PM
Instructor

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Happy but sad for CL buyers -long one

I've eyed the CL ever since the prototype was shown in 96? (that was a cool look), but I'm so happy I hung onto my Legend Coupe. I have always been bothered with Acura calling the CL the 'new Legend Coupe', never bought into that wish by the dealers. My Legend stickered at $42, not $32k. No rattles after 5 years. Smooth and strong and sexy. The CL never got sexy, that was my main complaint with the G2 CL. And now with the lower quality of the CL I'm so glad I didn't bite. Still waiting for Acura to build another legend but I don't think now they ever will. It's very disappointing to a longstanding Acura driver to see the CL blandness, trendy interiors, and build quality. Sorry you CL adopters had to be the ones to find out the compromises Honda has made. I'd rather have a Prelude or an Accord Coupe than the CL. Come on Acura build some more legendary cars! They only wish they could attain the Legend success again. TL came close (close to a Buick) but why do you think they changed the lineup names to numbers. More people knew Legend than Acura. I'm a Acura fan, just disappointed in their offerings since my 95 Coupe was made. Acura deserves to lose sales, they can't even compete with their original success. But a new Legend Coupe would sticker at $45-$50 and not enough would buy it. Acura has become boring, US corporate looking, non-distinctive. I still remember the rush when I saw my first Prelude and my first G1 Legend Coupe. Those cars were innovative and new. Acura is now old and conservative. Boo! I am already frustrated with Acura, if I had bought a CL I would be so mad I couldn't drive straight. Sorry, I feel better now, but still Frustrated. Love my Honda Legend Coupe, rather have a Honda, Hondas are better than Acuras now, they meet the market demand, Acura no longer meets my demand, they spoiled me with a legend they could never live up to. Sorry for the CLers who are unhappy.
Old 12-12-2001, 11:16 PM
Team Owner

Well, as a former Gen II Legend owner (91 Coupe 5-Speed) I agree with MOST, but not ALL of what you are saying.

The biggest complaint I have about my car is the lack of a true MANUAL transmission and that problem will be solved in about 3-months.
Besides the cheap paint, I don’t really have any other complaints with the build quality of my CL.

Like I said, I loved my Legend and I still think that body style is better then the CL, but the technology of the car has progressed SOOOO much since 1995.
I’m a “bell & whistles” kind of guy and this car has them all.

With the coming 6-Speed and a slight boost in Horsepower I think all my regrets of the “upgrade” will be soon forgotten.

Shawn S
Old 12-12-2001, 11:25 PM
Honkey

I remember when the Legend was new...I thought it was a really sharp car. I also think the new CL is a very sharp car. I was never a huge fan of the 1st gen CL, but love the new bodystyle. There have been no problems with my car, and I look forward to a long and happy future with it.
Old 12-12-2001, 11:28 PM
Instructor

Well, that was my second complaint of the G2 CL, no manual. I may be too superficial but looks in a car are important to me, especially a sport coupe. But I think my post did not explain how badly I wanted the CL to be my next car. I read so much about rattles and perceived lower quality, and now the trans problems. Never heard of in the Legend or Accord even. My Legend feels so solid and well-built, I'm afraid the CL is not like this but I admit I've never driven one. I'm am of course very interested in the 6 stick CL and now the rumors of sporting up the look has me very intrigued, come on Honda, do it for real. I think most of the wishes about the 03 will be dashed, unfortunately. It's all about cost and it is not cost-efficient to redesign so soon, BUT the unique position of the G2 CL trans complaints are probably hurting the name and I could see Honda trying to offset that. I'm just pessimistic. The G2 CL came close to what I want but looks and sticks still matter.
Old 12-12-2001, 11:41 PM
Suzuka Master

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Even with all of this bad news going around, I am very happy with my car.

If I had the SMG II (like the new Bimmers) I would be thrilled. I knew what I was buying and I don't know of any car company that can make everybody happy.

If the Audi S4 had been available with a SMG II for $35K, I would have probably gone for that -- but they didn't...

If they made a 540i for 40K with SMG II, I would have probably bought that -- and they don't...

Despite my comments on what Acura could do, I still like what is going on with my car today... I'll see if it stays that way (roll the dice).
Old 12-13-2001, 12:00 AM
Rock Chalk Jayhawk

I hate to break this to you but the Accords have rattles as well.

Old 12-13-2001, 12:07 AM
The sizzle in the Steak

Received 1,877 Likes on 1,297 Posts
I agree I always loved the look of the last generation Legend coupe. It looks sharp and classy. As for my CL-S I like it just the same. No tranny problems here...and my dealer fixed my back deck rattle and now I have none! It's a great car. My only complaints are the weak paint and the poor wheel design...I hate wheel Scratches!!!
Old 12-13-2001, 04:15 AM
Senior Moderator

Received 388 Likes on 196 Posts
I've always liked the legend coupe myself , even looked at one when I was car shopping. But it doesn't hold a candle to a cl-s, not in styling , power or quality. As with any 1st year car the cl is bound to have a few problems that effect a relatively small
portion of owners. My car however performs flawlessly, shifts positively, sounds like a racecar, and attracts shitloads of stares and attention plus I paid $25,500 for it so I guess that pretty much says it all... But keep tellin yourself you made the right decision, whatever makes you feel better.
Old 12-13-2001, 04:51 AM
Instructor

bah

legend was/is a classic car but it cannot hold a candle to the new cl-s. the technology is just too dated. You are only seeing people who have problems with their car here...the majority dont. The interior on this car rocks, its fast and cool looking. You talk about it like its a friggin yugo. Gimme a break...every car from $10,000-$100000 has its problems...its a fact of life--deal with it. Dont believe me? Check out the BMW boards, the audi boards or the mercedes boards. Does that mean they suffer from poor build quality? No. It just means that the small percentage of people who have issues are looking to vent and be heard...but they are defintiely the minority. Despite the problems, people do LOVE thier cars here...even without the 6 speed.
Old 12-13-2001, 07:08 AM
MP Video Extraordinaire

"My Legend stickered at $42, not $32k."

To build your car today with the same quality, same features, everything modernised, what would you guess the sticker would be?
Old 12-13-2001, 07:57 AM
Shift_3.5 Auto

My Legend stickered at $42, not $32k.
You also have to remember in those golden days, the Acura Legend competed against Lexus LS400, the Infiniti Q45 (which I think was better), and other high end models. CLS is not a highend car....I luv my CLS and I have not had a major problem yet (knock on wood). I LUV my slush-box since I live in a metropolitian area and for the price and speed with auto..what manufacturer as of Dec00 created a better car (auto) for 30k??? NO ONE!
Old 12-13-2001, 11:13 AM
Firestarter

Yes, the Legend was...pardon the pun...legendary. But it was also a higher priced car. They aren't made anymore so those of us that weren't able to catch them then, have to make do with what we have now. CL is still a great car for the price and I, too, expect to have it for a long time. It is what I can afford for now and it keeps me moving happily along.
Old 12-13-2001, 11:42 AM
M3Racer

Originally posted by mattg
I've always liked the legend coupe myself , even looked at one when I was car shopping. But it doesn't hold a candle to a cl-s, not in styling , power or quality. As with any 1st year car the cl is bound to have a few problems that effect a relatively small
portion of owners. My car however performs flawlessly, shifts positively, sounds like a racecar, and attracts shitloads of stares and attention plus I paid $25,500 for it so I guess that pretty much says it all... But keep tellin yourself you made the right decision, whatever makes you feel better.
Man, you buggin!! the legend coupe with the TypeII V6 is way better styled than the CL. You gots to give the Legend Coupe props! That's a real car.

Old 12-13-2001, 11:50 AM
Three Wheelin'

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
How much of that price was because it was built in Japan?
My guess would be... QUITE A BIT.
Old 12-13-2001, 12:46 PM
Banned

How much of that price was because it was built in Japan?
Good guess...eh-em....correct guess. Japan=quality U.S.=Ford
Old 12-13-2001, 01:05 PM
got rocks??

IMHO

I dont like the looks of the legend and never did...everyone has there own opinion.

I think the legend looks outdated (prob cuz it is) and I rarely see one fixed up or even looking like it has been taken care of.

I think my wifes CL-S looks much better and appreciate the curves and stylish lights etc. Not to mention the perky engine. (lord have mercy on my wifes lead foot)

92 huh..well good luck...<----read your screen name
95 huh..well good luck =oP

When I see a legend for some reason I think of the VIGOR and vice versa??

KJ
Old 12-13-2001, 01:06 PM
Shift_3.5 Auto

YOU WILL BE IN A US MODEL!

How long are we going to keep saying that. This is AMERICA and half the people that complain about US cars are driving them. We have no other choice! Toyota, Honda, Mitsubishi, Mazda, and others are now having plants in America. Pretty soon, unless you are going for a mercedes, BMW (who's plant is in Greensville, SC), AUDI, or VOLVO most car makers will be american built with a Foreign name. You might as well say that about all car makers. US Built = YUCK and Foreign = quality. You know damn well if ACURA brought back out the Legend with almost the same body style and called it the 2003 Legend all of you legend owners will hop on it, especially if it was under 35k. Then what will you say?
Old 12-13-2001, 01:29 PM
Firestarter

Originally posted by M3Racer

Man, you buggin!! the legend coupe with the TypeII V6 is way better styled than the CL. You gots to give the Legend Coupe props! That's a real car.

dude, what's with the thick ebonics? are you, uhh, like, black?
Old 12-13-2001, 01:51 PM
Banned

I dont like the looks of the legend and never did...everyone has there own opinion. I think the legend looks outdated (prob cuz it is) and I rarely see one fixed up or even looking like it has been taken care of. 92 huh..well good luck...<----read your screen name
95 huh..well good luck =oP
Dude, first off. You're not telling how you actually feel about the legend. Every one knows their design is timeless. You can't look at my car and your car and tell me you see an 10 year difference in the design, if you are your lying. If that is honestly the way you feel you are one in a million, (which isn't a good thing) So get your eyes checked. You rarely see one fixed up, again get your eyes checked and then look at this site. http://www.inexpro.com/legend_temple...allery-g2.html

The design of the G2 Legend started in 1991 and went through 1995. Therefore the design of the 1992 legend is the same as a 1995 legend. Do you comprehend what I'm saying? Do you see what I'm saying?
Old 12-13-2001, 02:20 PM
got rocks??

Um No

Well I went to your link ...the cars still look very outdated...kinda reminds me of a '92 accord with a more squarish back end. Maybe if you mated a rsx (rear) and the front of an accord 92ish..waaala Legend..and what was the VIGOR legend reject??

Just my opinion

Never driven one so cant comment on the ride...did they have VTEC in 92?? Hope the car is faster then the cl-s cuz the looks just arnt cutting it.

KJ (ill keep the CL-S)

P.S. one in a million is a VERY good thing if ya ask me.

Old 12-13-2001, 02:23 PM
Shift_3.5 Auto

Later year legends

Originally posted by 92legend

The design of the G2 Legend started in 1991 and went through 1995. Therefore the design of the 1992 legend is the same as a 1995 legend. Do you comprehend what I'm saying? Do you see what I'm saying?
Um, dude, Rosenthal Mazda had a 1996 Coach Edition Acura Legend. I think they went up too 1996 or a 1995 model introducing 1996. OR maybe they are wrong.
Old 12-13-2001, 02:43 PM
Banned

Um, dude, Rosenthal Mazda had a 1996 Coach Edition Acura Legend. I think they went up too 1996 or a 1995 model introducing 1996. OR maybe they are wrong.
Ummm, I'm a legend expert. The years they were made would be the easiest thing I could tell you about them. The US Legend was made in 1991-1995, JDM legend made in 1990-1995, and 1996 legend Coupe. Thanks.
Old 12-13-2001, 02:45 PM
Stealthy A-CL Member

Received 24 Likes on 8 Posts
Originally posted by Chrisbert
"My Legend stickered at $42, not $32k."

To build your car today with the same quality, same features, everything modernised, what would you guess the sticker would be?
Honda still markets our 3.5RL as the Legend overseas. So $44k~45k wouldn't be unreasonable.

The problem is that the current RL is also a very bad replacement for the last Legend. It's fat, slow and has none of the character or personality of it's predecessor. (3.5L and only 225hp/232lbft; I yawn every time I see one....) I don't see the value add over the TL. (What, OnStar? blah!)
Old 12-13-2001, 03:30 PM
Instructor

Well, I'll throw my 2 cents in while I'm at it:

I owned a 92 Legend LS Sedan (yes, Sedan, not Coupe) before my 2001 CL-S. I loved that car. Got it with 25k miles on it in 1999, and it had never seen a drop of rain when I bought it. The car was solidly built, no real rattles whatsoever, no quality issues, just a great car.

I've had my CL-S just a few days short of a year. This car quality-wise is still quite good in my opinion, short of a few minor issues. No, its not perfect. Neither was my Legend either. However, I paid $32k for this car, and feel like it drives like a $32k car. Looks-wise, the Legend will always been timeless in my opinion. My CL, although bland, is not all that terrible.

I just think that everyone has their own opinion. I wish I could have kept my Legend AND had the CL-S. That would have been the best of both worlds. For now, though, I'm stuck with a pretty fine car.
Old 12-13-2001, 04:11 PM
Banned

So, um excuse me....since when did the Legends feel the need to come to OUR FORUM and start trying to crap on our cars?? I know the original topic was that the dude felt sorry for us....well, you know what? I feel sorry for you because if you have a 92...you are slower than my CL....and you are driving a 10 year old car...gt worse gas mileage...and you are trying to justify the superiority of your Legend.

Now, hold all flames, I like the look of the legend...I think the look of the CL is awesome too...probably more progressive...the grille is nice..the front end is sexy...the rear...well, can't win them all. Shakes and rattles....this car is a 1st year car...it will have those little annoyances...as a lot of people have said....your car sold for $42K back then...with inflation...the cost of the car would put it solidly in the $50K range, especially if it was still being built in Japan.
Old 12-13-2001, 04:19 PM
Got da Internet Goin Nutz

Received 3 Likes on 1 Post
Truth be it known, I would have HAPPILY gotten a 95-96 Legend 6 speed coupe, if they had NAVIGATION!

The navigation system and this board are honestly what sold me on my CL-S.
Old 12-13-2001, 04:23 PM
Senior Moderator

Received 388 Likes on 196 Posts
Originally posted by M3Racer

Then why don't you sell the m3 and get one dumbass. I guess we could expect you to feel that way since you drive a relatively ancient bmw. when people come here and talk mess about cl-s they should be prepared to defend themselves.
Old 12-13-2001, 04:28 PM
Banned

Originally posted by mattg

Then why don't you sell the m3 and get one dumbass. I guess we could expect you to feel that way since you drive a relatively ancient bmw. when people come here and talk mess about cl-s they should be prepared to defend themselves.
He's mad because Acura made a better car than his M3 and for about $10K less..
Old 12-13-2001, 04:29 PM
Banned

moomaster_99, I agree with you. We all have acuras thats something to brag about not put down. I was simply defending what someone said about legends. And about the new Acuras being made in America that are crappy, thats just what I've heard, I can't back that up.
Old 12-13-2001, 04:33 PM
Banned

moomaster_99, I agree with you. We all have acuras thats something to brag about not put down. I was simply defending what someone said about legends. And about the new Acuras being made in America that are crappy, thats just what I've heard, I can't back that up.
Cool...I know what you are all saying...there really isn't a comparison...it's like comparing a father to a son...and what not...
Old 12-13-2001, 06:37 PM
Instructor

Original poster here, hopefully I'll end the thread. I'm very interested in the CL from before the first one came out, (no comment.) I want a new Acura and if I get one it will probably be the CL Manual. But the Legend did offer real wood trim, 5 and 6 speed manuals, rear windows that roll, tilt-away programmable steering wheel like the Lexus (on mine anyway), Japan build.
I still don't like the look of the CL, not sporty enough and I hate oversized headlights, but I like the features, and tech of it. Plus I want silver with gray, not black or tan. I agree the price is good for what you get. I do drive a Legend and have had Acuras and Hondas for 15 years, but I lurk here alot cause I plan ahead for my next car purchase and Lex 430 Coupe is too much yen!
Im just waiting to see the 03 CL. Happy motoring, hope Acura does us good customers right.
Old 12-13-2001, 06:39 PM
Instructor

And a fine end to this thread it is!! Well said.
Old 12-13-2001, 07:09 PM
www.drippinwet.com

Ummm, I'm a legend expert.
WOW........................"really"
Old 12-13-2001, 07:14 PM
Racer

Excuse me if this was mentioned already since I didn't read the entire thread....

Funny that the transmission was made in Japan, huh? Last I heard, CL's were having tranny problems. How could that be if it was made in Japan? Why is the engine not failing since it was made in the US? I don't understand.
Old 12-13-2001, 07:15 PM
www.drippinwet.com

Every one knows their design is timeless. You can't look at my car and your car and tell me you see an 10 year difference in the design, if you are your lying. If that is honestly the way you feel you are one in a million, (which isn't a good thing) So get your eyes checked. You rarely see one fixed up, again get your eyes checked and then look at this site. http://www.inexpro.com/legend_temple...allery-g2.html

Some People thought the design of the Edsel was timeless also

most of those cars on that site were whored up horribly with aftermarket shit - which i would think, would disgrace your "timeless" legend - (the blue one didn't look so timeless with a rear spoiler the size of the queen mary wrapped around to the quarter windows) hey to each his own
Old 12-13-2001, 07:52 PM
Banned

Here is an example of the timelessness of the legend!!!!!!!! Kinda stands out from the competition doesn't it? Now I ask you this, Which one of those cars would you say looks least outdated to you? Hmmmm. The legend, possibly!!

Here are some more pics of a legend I like that I thought I'd throw in, I love this one. I think I could stare at it all day.
Old 12-13-2001, 07:54 PM
Banned

most of those cars on that site were whored up horribly with aftermarket shit - which i would think, would disgrace your "timeless" legend - (the blue one didn't look so timeless with a rear spoiler the size of the queen mary wrapped around to the quarter windows) hey to each his own
I don't represent every legend owners taste!!!!!!! I agree though, some people do mug up their legends with unnecessary and ricey mods.
Old 12-13-2001, 08:01 PM
www.drippinwet.com

Here is an example of the timelessness of the legend!!!!!!!! Kinda stands out from the competition doesn't it? Now I ask you this, Which one of those cars would you say looks least outdated to you? Hmmmm. The legend, possibly!!

The BMW.

don't get me wrong, i like the legend, its ok, i prefer the meaner look of the CLS as compared to it, hey there is always gonna be someone bigger and better
Old 12-13-2001, 08:04 PM
got rocks??

I like the rims!!

Other then that you couldnt give me that car. Looks a lot like an accord with a boxy arse..

Sorry mate...and im not really biased as my wife drives the CL, to me the lines on the legend are outdated and tired. If it wernt for the rear and the headlights I would mistake for a mid-90's accord.

My quesiton about V-tec was never answered..did the legends get this technology in there engines? Prob some did some didnt depending on the year I would imagine.

The legend def. does not turn my head as I pass them on the street....timeless no tired err...

KJ:P
Old 12-13-2001, 08:06 PM
Banned

The BMW don't get me wrong, i like the legend, its ok, i prefer the meaner look of the CLS as compared to it, hey there is always gonna be someone bigger and better
So when you compare that BMW to a new BMW you don't see a major difference in which looks newer? The point I am making is that the design of the legend is up their with the new Acuras(I think the design is better but...we won't talk about that b/c we all have opinions) and the design of all those other cars in the pic is nowhere near what there same models are today. I do agree though, that the BMW is in 2nd place in design out of those cars.

Quick Reply: Happy but sad for CL buyers -long one