H&R OEM springs *plz read *

Search this Thread

Old 02-08-2002, 07:57 PM
It's Go-Time.

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
H&R OEM springs *plz read *

For the past month I have been try to decide if I should go with the H&R OEM or sport (left over from my CL-S). Since my wheels are +42 offset, I chose the OEM for the drop.

When I called up my local shop to order them, he told me that H&R has seized all shipments for the OEM spring. WTF? Stop shipping?

So I called H&R directly, and asked Roger (customer service) if what my shop told was true. Roger said that the OEM spring #51858-55 is in stock but will not be shipped as they are "redesigning" the spring. I asked if it was a recall or what...but he repeated the spring had to be "redesigned".

I don't know what "redesigned" entales, but I opted to use my Sport springs instead. Plus I didn't want to wait...

If you have any concerns or questions, I would call, I would want any you guys with OEM springs get into any hassles.

H&R ~ 1-888-827-8881
Old 02-08-2002, 08:02 PM
Fuct in the hed!

Received 4 Likes on 2 Posts
Get Comptech!!!!!!!
Old 02-08-2002, 08:13 PM
Senior Moderator

Received 48 Likes on 33 Posts
Re: H&R OEM springs *plz read *

Originally posted by GOT PSI?
For the past month I have been try to decide if I should go with the H&R OEM or sport (left over from my CL-S). Since my wheels are +42 offset, I chose the OEM for the drop.

When I called up my local shop to order them, he told me that H&R has seized all shipments for the OEM spring. WTF? Stop shipping?

So I called H&R directly, and asked Roger (customer service) if what my shop told was true. Roger said that the OEM spring #51858-55 is in stock but will not be shipped as they are "redesigning" the spring. I asked if it was a recall or what...but he repeated the spring had to be "redesigned".

I don't know what "redesigned" entales, but I opted to use my Sport springs instead. Plus I didn't want to wait...

If you have any concerns or questions, I would call, I would want any you guys with OEM springs get into any hassles.

H&R ~ 1-888-827-8881
wow they finally are fessing up to the fact that something is not right.....
Old 02-08-2002, 08:15 PM
It's Go-Time.

typeR: Have you had problems w/ your springs?
Old 02-08-2002, 08:24 PM
Senior Moderator

typeR: Have you had problems w/ your springs?
problems...i dont know if id say problems...but it's a known fact that the advertised drop of .75front .50 rear is not even close to what happens...the front is close probablly right on concidering the additional weight of the cl i got 1.0 front ... .25 more than advertised ..no prob....but the rear is 1.5 :wow: what 1.5 what happened to .50????i mounted mine 180* away from the seat in the lower perch...and achieved 1.25 which isnt bad at all would have perfered 1.0 all...lets see how they change i wonder if they offer anything to current customers...replacement
Old 02-08-2002, 08:31 PM
Banned

redesign definitely means correcting a major screw-up, just like dell redesigning their whole line into new computers.....
Old 02-08-2002, 08:36 PM
Banned

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Originally posted by mrnokio
redesign definitely means correcting a major screw-up, just like dell redesigning their whole line into new computers.....
Word. I thought H&R was a pretty well known maker of springs. Guess everybody fucks up.
Old 02-09-2002, 12:08 AM
Advanced

Yeah I have the same problems with my OE springs.

BTW, I called H&R and they said that the reason why my rear is much lower is because I trimmed the bump stops. I don't see how this would be the case unless the shocks are compress all the way in that they sit on the bump stops.

Anyhow, they refused to help me until I put uncut bump stops in
Old 02-09-2002, 12:59 AM
Senior Moderator

Originally posted by PhiTL
Yeah I have the same problems with my OE springs.

BTW, I called H&R and they said that the reason why my rear is much lower is because I trimmed the bump stops. I don't see how this would be the case unless the shocks are compress all the way in that they sit on the bump stops.

Anyhow, they refused to help me until I put uncut bump stops in
that's the first thing they said to me too...but i told them i watch the install personally start to finish and no jounces were cut...period...i think they finally must have got enough calls to warrant an investigation and found out something was wrong...this 'll be interesting to see how it plays out.
Old 02-09-2002, 07:22 AM
Burning Brakes

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Just great..... I'm about to install my H&R OE fronts this morning! Hope it's just an advertised ride height issue, and nothing serious (I'm sure that's all it is.) Oh well, shouldn't be a problem as I'm keeping my Compy rears. Actually I'm glad I got a set before the redesign.
Old 02-12-2002, 01:19 PM
CL Expert

I have OE SoftSports on my Accord V6....

I don't think the redesign is because of the advertised drop. I thinks it's due to the fact that the rear springs are not secure in their perches without the car lowered onto the ground.

My installer had a fit when he saw this and said is unsafe, becareful on it whenever it is jacked up and lowered back down to make sure the rear springs seat correctly.

I saw the rear springs intalled on the completed rear strut assemblies and they were a little loose in there. But not once did the make noise or cause any safety concerns. I called H&R and they said they just fit like that on the Accord. I called a friend with the same car and springs and his rear springs were loose too.

Don't they fit like this on the CL too. I figure they do because it's the same shock (physical size/shape) that is used on the Accord V6.

I think they are doing a little redesign of the rear springs to make them secure in the strut assembly even when the car is jacked up.

My drop was great. But I never measured it. It evened out the front and the rear. This was on my 98 EX V6 Accord Sedan. Haven't put them on my Coupe yet, I've heard they make the rear sit a little low on the coupe. I won't like that.
Old 02-12-2002, 01:31 PM
Banned

Originally posted by bioyuki

Word. I thought H&R was a pretty well known maker of springs. Guess everybody fucks up.
Eibach wounds their springs.
Old 02-12-2002, 01:34 PM
Senior Moderator

i just got off the phone with them,they claim ,the 51855-55 are NOT being redesigned but that the 51853- are...
Old 02-12-2002, 01:42 PM
Senior Moderator

hmmm.... i might be on to something....the 51853 are for the accord 4 cly.......he asked me to check tthe number on my springs...i wonder if they've been shipping the wrong product or lableing them wrong...or...?????
Old 02-15-2002, 04:40 PM
Instructor

Re: H&R OEM springs *plz read *

...So I called H&R directly, and asked Roger (customer service) if what my shop told was true. Roger said that the OEM spring #51858-55 is in stock but will not be shipped as they are "redesigning" the spring. I asked if it was a recall or what...but he repeated the spring had to be "redesigned"...

H&R ~ 1-888-827-8881
I had my OE Sports installed in July 2001.

I just got off the phone with Roger at H&R. He told me that the #51858-55 springs are simply out of stock-- they are NOT being redesigned. He also said that H&R has no application for the CL-S, rather the #51858-55 were designed for the TL-S.

Perhaps that explains why we get a greater drop in the back than H&R advertises (or an Accord V-6 tuner gets). I'm not ecstatic about my slightly droopy back-end, but I've learned to live with it. :shakehd:
Old 02-15-2002, 05:24 PM
Senior Moderator

Re: Re: H&R OEM springs *plz read *

Originally posted by technoid

I had my OE Sports installed in July 2001.

I just got off the phone with Roger at H&R. He told me that the #51858-55 springs are simply out of stock-- they are NOT being redesigned. He also said that H&R has no application for the CL-S, rather the #51858-55 were designed for the TL-S.

Perhaps that explains why we get a greater drop in the back than H&R advertises (or an Accord V-6 tuner gets). I'm not ecstatic about my slightly droopy back-end, but I've learned to live with it. :shakehd:
that's only because there computer screens dont tell them that the new cl and the tl, along with the current accord, are made on the same platform... and share the same suspension geometry