H E L P!!! Tranny cooler install

Search this Thread

Old 06-06-2004, 12:43 AM
Blown LS6!!

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
H E L P!!! Tranny cooler install

I just finished installing the Comptech tranny cooler using a combination of their instructions and the DIY post by SilverBullet ( http://home.satx.rr.com/silverbullet/tranny.htm ). I decided I would need this for the supercharger install next weekend.

Now, my immediate question is which dot do I check to make sure I have enough fluid in the tranny? SilverBullet's instructions say to use the closest dot to the yellow handle. Now, there are 2 dots at the far end of the dipstick and a third dot waaaaay up the handle. Am I supposed to fill to the uppermost dot of the two near the tip or the third dot waaaaay up the dipstick.

Any help is much appreciated since I really don't want to drive the car until I know the tranny has enough fluid.

Thanks!
Old 06-06-2004, 02:38 AM
Blown is Best

Received 15 Likes on 14 Posts
Fluid level should be between the two dots at the lower end of the stick ( far end from the yellow handle). Check fluid with engine off and on level ground. Should be closer to the top dot if tranny is hot and closer to the bottom dot if tranny is cold.

You'll enjoy the shifting difference with the tranny cooler. Much more consistent.
Old 06-06-2004, 02:51 AM
Blown LS6!!

Originally Posted by Allout
Fluid level should be between the two dots at the lower end of the stick ( far end from the yellow handle). Check fluid with engine off and on level ground. Should be closer to the top dot if tranny is hot and closer to the bottom dot if tranny is cold.

You'll enjoy the shifting difference with the tranny cooler. Much more consistent.

Thanks! I think I'm actually over the top dot right now. Guess I'll have to drain a bit out.
Old 06-06-2004, 01:25 PM
Pro

Received 4 Likes on 4 Posts
Where is the drain bolt located?
Old 06-06-2004, 04:37 PM
Three Wheelin'

Originally Posted by flint
Where is the drain bolt located?
Better have a shop do this for you
Old 06-06-2004, 05:36 PM
Race Director

Which brand tranny fluid are you using?
Old 06-07-2004, 01:18 AM
Blown LS6!!

There is no "drain bolt". Maybe you're thinking of the fill bolt? If you look about 12" behind the battery and about 6" to the left, you will see a 11/16" bolt with "ATF" on it. You will need a breaker bar or torque wrench to get that puppy loose.

If you want to drain the tranny you either need a fancy pump or just hook up a fluid hose to the 'hot out' line and run it into a bucket. One word of caution: When following SilverBullet's instructions, I didn't understand just how fast tranny fluid goes through the system. 2 quarts comes out in about 8-10 seconds...really! Sure made a mess of my garage floor.
Old 06-07-2004, 01:19 AM
Blown LS6!!

Originally Posted by Chaptorial
Which brand tranny fluid are you using?
Comptech suggested the use of Redline ATF, so that's what I bought. CarQuest here in Bellevue carried it for $8/qt.
Old 06-07-2004, 01:21 AM
Blown LS6!!

One day of driving and no spills yet. I sprayed down the engine so I could see fluid leaks a bit easier.

Can't really tell any differences w/ the limited amount of driving I've done so far. Some people claim smoother shifts but I can't tell a thing...just a little peace-of-mind when the SC goes in...
Old 06-07-2004, 01:30 AM
Suzuka Master

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Originally Posted by Seattle Cl-S
There is no "drain bolt". Maybe you're thinking of the fill bolt? If you look about 12" behind the battery and about 6" to the left, you will see a 11/16" bolt with "ATF" on it. You will need a breaker bar or torque wrench to get that puppy loose.

If you want to drain the tranny you either need a fancy pump or just hook up a fluid hose to the 'hot out' line and run it into a bucket. One word of caution: When following SilverBullet's instructions, I didn't understand just how fast tranny fluid goes through the system. 2 quarts comes out in about 8-10 seconds...really! Sure made a mess of my garage floor.

Once you have the easy-to-get-to transmission lines (hoses), it shouldn't be a problem to find a good tranny joint with a nice ATF flush/change machine to swap out the old fluid and they will make sure it all gets changed out and is perfectly clean. (And, no, I’m not talking about running solvents through the system.)

It would also be possible to leave in/put in some new/clean Honda ATF (in addition to the Redline or Amsoil) just to make sure that any critical additives are still "around" -- just in case there are one or more additives in the Honda product that prove critical.
Old 06-07-2004, 09:04 AM
Find beauty in dissonance

Originally Posted by Seattle Cl-S
There is a drain bolt/plug, blue in the pic.

You can only drain about 3 qts. of fluid with it.
Old 06-07-2004, 01:25 PM
Blown LS6!!

Ah, I stand corrected.
Old 06-07-2004, 01:48 PM
Senior Moderator

Received 1,080 Likes on 661 Posts
So who makes the tranny cooler for Comptech? B&M? Thinking about getting one, not paying Comptech prices.
Old 06-07-2004, 03:38 PM
Suzuka Master

Received 20 Likes on 15 Posts
Congrats on the cooler. But what I do not get is that we are all blowing trannies and you guys are adding the superchargers...

what am I missing here?
Old 06-07-2004, 04:35 PM
Suzuka Master

Originally Posted by NSXNEXT
So who makes the tranny cooler for Comptech? B&M? Thinking about getting one, not paying Comptech prices.
B&M

You can make some brackets or use tie wraps.
Old 06-07-2004, 04:39 PM
Audi S4 driver

yes B&M makes the cooler for comptech, I believe I saw an exact part number for a B&M unit that was the same as the comptech one in a thread once try a search .. the cooler is the same size and everything you just have to size your own fluid lines.
Old 06-07-2004, 04:40 PM
Suzuka Master

Originally Posted by Eggplant-EX
Congrats on the cooler. But what I do not get is that we are all blowing trannies and you guys are adding the superchargers...

what am I missing here?

Some need for one or more of the following: the thrill of parachuting at low altitude, deep-sea diving with rusty tanks, high-speed chases in SUVs on Firestone tires, rattlesnake roundups, pit viper/cobra taming, and other pursuits.
Old 06-07-2004, 08:05 PM
Blown LS6!!

Originally Posted by EricL
Some need for one or more of the following: the thrill of parachuting at low altitude, deep-sea diving with rusty tanks, high-speed chases in SUVs on Firestone tires, rattlesnake roundups, pit viper/cobra taming, and other pursuits.

That about sums it up. I guess I'm just feeling lucky...and I just don't really care. If the tranny goes :'( and Acura won't pick up the tab :sqntfawk: I'll just have someone build me a stronger one.
Old 06-09-2004, 09:31 PM
Pro

That clears things up. I had a feeling that was the one. So if only 3 quarts come out, what is the best way to add the redline fluid? I am thinking buy 2 gallons and drain and fill twice. That will still leave some honda fluid in which I am not sure how that will effect the tranny. Will the two fluids mix ok?[

QUOTE=Bluto]There is a drain bolt/plug, blue in the pic.

You can only drain about 3 qts. of fluid with it.[/QUOTE]
Old 06-10-2004, 06:49 AM

Originally Posted by flint
That clears things up. I had a feeling that was the one. So if only 3 quarts come out, what is the best way to add the redline fluid? I am thinking buy 2 gallons and drain and fill twice. That will still leave some honda fluid in which I am not sure how that will effect the tranny. Will the two fluids mix ok?
The 2 fluids will mix OK. Redline and AMS Oil ATF are just better fluids, have better additives. They meet Honda's specs.

How much do you drive?

I would do a 3 quart drain the next 2 oil changes.

Or do 3 quarts now, drive for a week, then another 3 quarts.

Draining the car level will get about 3 quarts out. On ramps, I think people get 2.75 or something.

I have a short/low profile drain pan. I jack the driver side up, loosen the drain plug, and lower the car. My pan fits under the car, and it drains level. The drain plug it can be tight, I use a pipe on my ratchet for more leverage. The plug is 3/8. I use a 1/2 inch ratchet with a 3/8 adapater. The adapater gives enough extension to clear the trannycase. Torque the plug and fill bolt to the proper specs (I'd give the numbers, don't have my Helms right now). Buy a crush washer for the drain plug (#14). You can get it at a Honda dealer.

Hope that was not too much info
Old 06-10-2004, 12:15 PM
Blown LS6!!

Originally Posted by Bluto
I learn so much on this site.
Old 06-10-2004, 12:38 PM

The plug is 3/8.
I might have this backwards, 1/2 inch plug. Haven't changed the fluid recently.
Old 06-10-2004, 01:26 PM
Suzuka Master

The 2 fluids will mix OK. Redline and AMS Oil ATF are just better fluids, have better additives. They meet Honda's specs.

How much do you drive?

I would do a 3 quart drain the next 2 oil changes.

Or do 3 quarts now, drive for a week, then another 3 quarts.

Draining the car level will get about 3 quarts out. On ramps, I think people get 2.75 or something.

I have a short/low profile drain pan. I jack the driver side up, loosen the drain plug, and lower the car. My pan fits under the car, and it drains level. The drain plug it can be tight, I use a pipe on my ratchet for more leverage. The plug is 3/8. I use a 1/2 inch ratchet with a 3/8 adapater. The adapater gives enough extension to clear the trannycase. Torque the plug and fill bolt to the proper specs (I'd give the numbers, don't have my Helms right now). Buy a crush washer for the drain plug (#14). You can get it at a Honda dealer.

I did a bunch of reading at some of the other Honda forums, and we are not the only folks who had slushbox problems. A number of people who were adding ATF, were keeping a bit of Honda ATF in the "mix" to insure that the additive package wasn't compromised. They were using a variety of synthetics. Maybe the Redline and Amsoil additives are AOK and fully duplicate ALL of the properties in the Honda additive package. However, when I've talked to various folks about this, they get kind of "funny" when pressed too hard.

I'd be dead sure about this if someone said, "We now have Honda/Acura approved ATF."

-- this is my opinion --
Old 06-10-2004, 02:20 PM

Originally Posted by EricL
I did a bunch of reading at some of the other Honda forums, and we are not the only folks who had slushbox problems. A number of people who were adding ATF, were keeping a bit of Honda ATF in the "mix" to insure that the additive package wasn't compromised. They were using a variety of synthetics. Maybe the Redline and Amsoil additives are AOK and fully duplicate ALL of the properties in the Honda additive package. However, when I've talked to various folks about this, they get kind of "funny" when pressed too hard.

I'd be dead sure about this if someone said, "We now have Honda/Acura approved ATF."

-- this is my opinion --
AMS doesn't say 'approved' but 'Recommended for' Honda; Z-1. They recently added Honda to the list.

People use Red Line because Comptech pushes it with the SC.

I don't think Honda/Acura will ever approve another brand of ATF fluid, when they can force theirs upon us for $4 to $8 a quart.

I'm going to send a fluid sample to Blackstone from my new tranny when I change it.

I'm sticking with Honda Z1. Acura is generous with transmission replacements now, but in 3-4 years
Old 06-10-2004, 03:57 PM
Suzuka Master

AMS doesn't say 'approved' but 'Recommended for' Honda; Z-1. They recently added Honda to the list.

People use Red Line because Comptech pushes it with the SC.

I don't think Honda/Acura will ever approve another brand of ATF fluid, when they can force theirs upon us for $4 to $8 a quart.

I'm going to send a fluid sample to Blackstone from my new tranny when I change it.

I'm sticking with Honda Z1. Acura is generous with transmission replacements now, but in 3-4 years

Hard to know what Acura will do. With the emphasis on performance and factory mod packages, I'd hope they would be a bit less parochial.

And, here is a Mobil page (synthetic ATF):

http://www.mobil.com/USA-English/Lub..._Blend_ATF.asp

Specifications & Approvals

Mobil Mercon V Synthetic Blend has the following builder approvals:

Ford Mercon V
Ford Mercon
General Motors’ Dexron III
General Motors’ Dexron II
"Builder approval" sure makes for a no-brainer.